PDA

View Full Version : Guns... lots of guns...

RadicalDreamer
06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Okay, maybe this should go in the newbies section, but I'm not sure of exactly how many cosplayers are aware of this cheap, practical, and easy way to get incredibly realistic guns.

Airsoft. Heard of it? Think paintball, with small, plastic pellets, and realistic guns. For handguns, cheap "springer" pistols are in the $10-$30 range. Cheap semi-autos and assault rifles are $30 and up.

The catch? Like paintball, you've gotta be 18 to purchase (like that really matters over the internet). And in some places (New Jerseysomes to mind), airsoft guns are illegal. Strange, yes. I guess some idiots decided to hold up a store with them or something. Anyway, there aren't many states that have banned them, luckily.

...And if you're willing to shell out a few more bucks for pellets, you could finally exact revenge on the cosplay-hating cretin at the cons.

UPDATE: I just heard that airsoft guns are banned at some cons. Bummer...

K_Valentine
06-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by RadicalDreamer

UPDATE: I just heard that airsoft guns are banned at some cons. Bummer...

Damnit, I just got mine too! (Hopes AX can overlook a SPAS 12 shotgun)

RadicalDreamer
06-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Sorry to say, but that's the exact con the guy said they were banned. Maybe if you get an orange cap (like on toys), and stick it on the barrel, you may be able to convince them its a toy?

Kamui Motoaki
06-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Its kinda old. . but yea. . its fun. .
theres Lil group and team skirmishes around our area. . we have a league. .but you only play with gas or AEGs. . cause you'd soo get fucked up if you use Spring. .
but yea. .
Spring is good for cosplay. . .^_~

vyrax778
06-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by K_Valentine
Damnit, I just got mine too! (Hopes AX can overlook a SPAS 12 shotgun)

well according to AX's weapon policy its a grey area.
on one hand there faq says a dummy gun is ok but not a unloaded BB gun isnt but then agien a bb gun doesnt have a orange tip like almost all airsofts.

Last AX it wasnt the con that told me to put my airsoft away it was a cop!

long story short was walking back from op cermonys cop stops me checks my airsoft out lets me go and tells me to put it away.

RadicalDreamer
06-11-2003, 12:09 AM
You could always screw with it to make it unfireable. (Remove the trigger spring, replace the safety switch with a bar so the trigger will be locked, etc.)

Kira_Yamato
06-11-2003, 02:17 AM
The other issue is that airsofts aren't really BB guns. Just refer to it as a toy gun that shhoots little plastic balls (don't use the word pellet) and you should be OK. Besides, plenyt of airsoft guns are sold at AX anyway.

Miaka No Baka
06-11-2003, 08:56 AM
most places won't allow anything working and a lot of airsoft guns can look just like a real gun which is another reason why they won't let you carry it. Regardless if it's loaded or unloaded working or non working the point is from 30 feet away it looks real, and that's all it takes is 1 person from 30 feet away seeing someone walking around with a gun that looks real and starts to freak regardless if your gun is working or not, real or not. Ax I don't think will allow it I know for a fact they won't allow stuff like crossbows either so just leave it at home.

Miaka no Baka

K_Valentine
06-12-2003, 01:02 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=48390 My prop guns collection. Most are airsoft.

Balmung
06-12-2003, 07:21 AM
I like to make my guns from various types of foam, because, It's more fun to make them than buy them, and also because I try to make my guns acurate to the series, or game that their from, but to make them look , almost cell animated. That way they look awesome, but con ssecurity has never tagged my pretty cassul or jackall ^_^

Balmung
06-12-2003, 07:24 AM
BTW do any of your airsoft guns have the "blow back" feature that poseidon CO's guns use? I might want to incorperate an airsoft gun into a larger gun for the blowback.

Kira_Yamato
06-12-2003, 07:43 AM
I don't have an airsoft, but I know a lot about them. Nearly any gas powered gun has blowback. the catch: they cost over 100 bucks. However, you can get an electric one with blowback for about 40 bucks.

Balmung
06-12-2003, 11:17 AM
ohhh kawaii, and where do I get one of those (hrm maby used?) ebay? I would probably only be spending like $20 a gun

K_Valentine
06-12-2003, 11:38 AM
I have a Beretta 92f electric blowback. It's not that good of a blowback (it doesn't go back all the way). It's not even that powerful of a shooter.

Balmung
06-12-2003, 01:01 PM
hrm, but it does have blowback? maby I can just get a used one cheap somewhere for an experiment....waaaaait does it only have blowback when it's loaded? I don't intend to actually shoot with this gun. Any ideas?

K_Valentine
06-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Loaded or no, insert batteries, pull trigger and slide blowsback (Will post pic of how far it does later).

vyrax778
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
almost all of the cheap airsofts ie under 50 bucks are going to be spring guns.

The Posidien appear to be airsofts that are just based on anime guns.

Balmung
06-14-2003, 12:12 AM
they are actually shells for airsoft guns to be put in
I was reading the directions for their ceruberus. The export version dosn't function as an airsoft ;_; I can't wait to see the pics I want one now ^_^

melloncollie
06-19-2003, 05:19 AM
yeh airsofts are great
ahh i wnat some desert eagles now...

ohh but be careful if u take pics outside cos one Lara Croft cosplayer i know got followed by the police and they had a helicopter and evertything cos they thought she was doing an armed robbery....
ah but she did get in the papers...