PDA

View Full Version : How to Cut Bangs Video Tutorial

Tsusho
02-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Since I know how hard it can be to start out cutting and styling your first wig, I made a video tutorial on how to cut bangs into a wig and posted it up on Youtube. As long as it helps atleast one person, then I know my efforts weren't in vain.
I'll be posting other video wig tutorials as well, once I have the time to get around to it. Such as the Hot Water Straightening Method, Sharpie Wig Dyeing, certain character wigs, bleaching and dyeing hair, etc. Basically whatever people find they think there needs to be a video tutorial for.
In the tutorial I'm basically using Tristen Citrine's tutorial method to cut the bangs (since that how I learned how to cut bangs), and hope that its alright to post it up as long as I credit her for that ^^;; (or else I can just put it down and that's fine with me).
Enjoy~!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AK9_-sLF5M0

Hydraskylar
02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
thank you for doing the clip. It's always helpful seeing a video. So after you cut the 2 layers with the razor, did you just know which section belonged to the top and which belonged to the bottom layers by experience?

Tsusho
02-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Well you should be able to differentiate which hairs belong to the bottom layers and the top layers since the bottom ones were cut shorter than the top ones. Plus I had seperated them, making them a perfect line with the pointy end of the comb, which made it easier to find where the bottom layer became the top layer.

Ghost613
02-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a feeling this is going to help a LOT of people who have problems getting their heads around the cutting bangs concept. I've come to find that every new wig stylist's greatest fear is cutting. I'm totally adding this to the wig FAQ! Great job!

cutekotarou
02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
i watched your other tutorial and i love your hair! you work with hair very well, i'm not that patient... i look forward to other tutorials!

Nanao-Chan
02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow, those two vids were so much help! Thanks! By the way, you're very pretty/cute! Really! Are you Chinese or Japanese?

Tsusho
02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the support, :heart: I'm glad to be able to help people.

Nanao-Chan - Awww *blush*, thank you. Honestly I like to keep my nationality a secret, it seems as I grew up no one could guess what nationality I was. So now only my closest friends and family know, it's just more fun to keep people guessing ^^;;. I will say that I'm 100% asian though lol.

Nanao-Chan
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
It so hard to guess because you look like you could be Japanese, Chinese, or Korean! Anyway, in the tutorial video where you dyed your hair pink and blonde, were you wearing thick mascara on your eyelashes?

Tsusho
02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Yea, normally I wear bright blue or grey contacts as well and that tends to make it even hard to guess. Ummm, I believe I was wearing false eyelashes, with mascara on top. Then also black eyeshadow (Bare Minerals in Humor and NYX in Matte Black), some Ben Nye Silver Lumiere Lux powder on my inner eye corners, and black liquid eyeliner (Prestige in Black) for a light smokey eye look. On camera it just looks like I have really thick eye lashes and some black eye shadow XD.

Nanao-Chan
02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Were you looking in a mirror when you were styling your hair or were you just looking at a camera? By the way, are those Tokidoki statues in the back ground on the wall shelf? I want a tokidoki statue so badly!

Tsusho
02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I was just using the small LCD screen on the camcorder to look while styling my hair. I'm a fan of Simone Legno's Tokidoki, even though you can't see it in the video there are more of my Tokidoki figurene and bag collection to the left of the screen.

Nanao-Chan
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I was just using the small LCD screen on the camcorder to look while styling my hair. I'm a fan of Simone Legno's Tokidoki, even though you can't see it in the video there are more of my Tokidoki figurene and bag collection to the left of the screen.

Oh wow! I'd get a Tokidoki bag if I could but I just think they cost a lot of money. I dunno, whenever I see one aorund again I'll see if I can get one. I just love the cute little characters!

Aya Frost
02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow, I never knew that a video would be so much easier to follow than just pictures. All tutorial makers should make videos! Also, thank you so much for the tutorial, it gave me great knowledge that I only sort of knew before! ^__^

TwilightAmelia
02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a question about the razor-cutting step. What kind of razor are you using in the video? Its kind of hard for me to tell.

Tsusho
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm using a feathering razor similar to this one : http://cgi.ebay.com/Kissaki-SUN-GOLD-Pro-Hair-Lightweight-FEATHER-RAZOR_W0QQitemZ330211486605QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3393 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

KittyCanuck
02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank you for making & posting this tutorial!

It's easy to follow & understand! Now I just need to actually try it, haha!

Yunalicia
02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Awesome tutorials!

I want you to make more just so I can listen to your music!! lol

Tsusho
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Awesome tutorials!

I want you to make more just so I can listen to your music!! lol

XD I would send my music library list to you but I dont know how to do that on iTunes ^^;;!

Inked~Wrong
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I love the Tut! I'll make sure to remember it when I need to make Bangs. ^__^

Summoner-Yuna9
02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I <3 this tutorial!! Thank you SO much for making it! I'll use it when I start my next wig for my next cosplay!

Winter Divinity
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Sweet, thank you for the vid. I also like how you use Muse as background music. ^^

pixie_princess
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Great tutorial. Thank you for posting this. ^_^

bluestbunnie
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Do you have any tutorials on how to cut / style bangs like these?
http://thephoenix.com/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Home_Entertainment/TV/ChronoCrusade.jpg

The wig I bought for this already has a little bit of bangs to it, can I still make it work? Here is the wig I purchased...

http://www.cosprops.com/a50-80cm-gold-straight-wigs-p-52.html?cPath=15_6

Thanks

Tsusho
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
The wig that you said you already have has bangs that are too short for that hairstyle. You are going to either have to buy a new wig with no bangs, or longer bangs like the Ivy or Linda and start over. Or you could salvage the wig and use the bangs it came with as the underlayer of bangs, then pull forward hair from the back to make a new upperlayer of bangs so you can hide the shortness of the underlayer bangs. This will only work however if the wig has prestyled bangs that aren't pulled from the back of the head too far, so when you pull from the back of the head new upper layer bangs it won't look unnatural (it gets unnatural when the bangs part from father than the center of the head). This character has bangs that frame her face so remember to cut it that way when making the new upper layer of the bangs.

bluestbunnie
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you! That was very very helpful! You sure know your wigs :)

lunaladyoflight
03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I find it surprisingly easy to use very sharp, small scissors as a razor. You rub it along the hair the same way too. If you don't want to invest in a razor that is.

rainbow_dancer
03-20-2008, 08:47 PM
such a great tutorial thanks for putting your time into it!!!

aliceinbox
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
omg this is so helpful thanks ^_^
just wish i saw it before i cut the bangs on my blond wig XD

Nostarienel
07-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the tutorial; very nice to have a visual to work from :)

Do you think it would be necessary to do the curling step in order to achieve bangs like these?
http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/219/129.jpg

Blindedinshadow
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much for this! I've read tutorials but actually seeing it makes me so much more confident.

Artema
07-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the tutorial; very nice to have a visual to work from :)

Do you think it would be necessary to do the curling step in order to achieve bangs like these?
http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/219/129.jpg

Hi Nostarienel! :3 Not to steal Tsusho's thunder, but from personal experience, you can skip the curling step to get that blunt cut look without the fluffiness.

I followed Tristine Citrine's tutorial to cut my Girlycard (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1592844/) bangs and didn't bother curling them once I was finished. If you want to pop them out a bit for your own, you can still separate your layers and curl the bottom layer under only to provide some oomph and support.

And Tsusho:

Nicely done! It's really good to see that someone's taking the time to go into such detail and make video tutorials. Keep up the great work!

seira-chan
09-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the video! :D It helped me visualize it a bit better... and made me see that what I was thinking of doing is possible! XD

I'm working on Girlycard as well, and I think the bangs we cut into the wig need to be a bit wider? I guess? And so this helps a lot.

And thanks, Artema - I didn't think they'd need curling, but my bangs might need some steam or something to keep them down. XD

Ichigo Moo Moo
02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Halloooo! :]
I love your videos! They are very helpful! :D
But i was wondering, do you have any advice on cutting pointy bangs?
I see several j-rockers with this style but it seems really hard to cut! lol. My hairdresser had a hard time with it too. D:

Here is some refference. [:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/kaherine/Yumehito_06.jpg

So is it possible to get that style without it looking like this?
http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/images/dante_snapshots.jpg

Thank you very much! :D

ShiNo_Usagi
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
great tutorial =D

Harry20
07-08-2010, 06:19 AM
You can try to use VidCrop (http://geovid.com/VidCrop/). It's prog for crop video and also you can use zoom)It's helps me alot.)

Pirogoeth05
12-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Awesome tutorial! It's going to be so useful!