PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

Schuldig_
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
I've noticed that there are quite a few LotR cosplayers around, but no thread for them... so why not make one? I thought it could be fun to know a few things about you, such as:

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?
2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?
3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?
4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?

Of course, we can talk about just anything else as well. It was just a suggestion. ;) But to be a good sport, I'll go first.

1. I have my original character. She was born on a LotR forum which I sadly don't frequent anymore, and developed over the years. Her name is Ethuil, which is Sindarin for "spring", and she's a Vanya. Since there aren't really any Vanyar in Middle Earth, it's pretty easy to improvise her manners and outfits since no one can say anything about it. *g*
2. I've been a fan of the books since I was a child, but it wasn't until I, around the age of 20, learned about the various Tolkien societies that I started cosplaying, as most members made their own costume. I got lots of help from a friend and was hooked, and the interest for costuming slowly trickled into anime and manga as well.
3. I think, at least costume-wise (let's leave out the killing of Haldir and the addition of Arwen on Glorfindel's horse, shall we? ;)), that they are great inspiration. They have captured the individual traits of each race well, if you ask me.
4. I am an Elf, through and through. It mostly has to do with feeling more connected to them than any other race, plus, I love trees. :)

TariElensar
02-18-2008, 10:48 PM
1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC? I've never "officially" cosplayed anything LotR except for Halloween in 8th grade. I went as good old Legolas. Closet cosplay ftw. I basically have an OC now - Tari Elensar. On the off chance I feel mortal I'm Egarwen the Thirsty. Long story behind that name.
2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it? *hangs head in shame* I jumped in after the movies came out. I can't lie about that. However, I went beyond the Orlando Bloom is hot fangirl phase and..yes. My only "cosplay" was the 8th grade Legolas one. One day I hope to cosplay as Beleg Cuthalion from The Sil/Children of Hurin. He is, hands down, my favorite character in the history of ever.
3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off? Love, love, LOVE the costume work. Love the sets, the actors, most everything...except for the whole Arwen bit and the random Elves at Helms Deep, like you said. lolWHUUUT.
4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why? I cosplay Elves since I have the most in common with them imho. That and they have some gorgeous costumes to work with. I'd like to cosplay a Hobbit one day, but the feet would be too difficult for my limited experience.

Any tips for Elf ears that don't look really fake? I found some stuff on alleycatscratch.com/lotr (really great site btw) but I'm wondering if you'd tried anything else that worked well.

TwilightAmelia
02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
1. Well, as you can see from my sig, I've cosplayed Eowyn before. Not for a convention, but because a few of my friends and I decided to go to the opening of RotK in costume. It was my first huge sewing undertaking, and I still have the dress. It still fits, too, maybe even better than it did when I first made it. ^^ I gave myself a Quenya name once, but I didn't create a character around it. =P

2. I started reading the books because my dad and I were at a movie one summer and saw the very first theatrical poster for LotR...the one with Frodo looking all ominous with the Ring held out in front of him. I had to ask my dad what it was from, and we got home and he gave me his old, well-loved set of the books. I finished them long before the first movie was released.

3. Movies? I loved them. I recognize that there were a lot of changes (I feel sorry for poor Glorfindel. He gets cheated out of every attempt to movie-fy LotR.) but I think that its impossible to adapt a book to the big screen without changing some things. Great books do not necessarily equal great movies.

4. I guess if I had to choose a race, I'd choose the Elves. Who wouldn't? But character-wise, I'd much rather play Eowyn. She's such a strong character, one of the few developed female characters in the whole series, and she does amazing things even within the limits of her humanity. Eowyn=LOVE

EDIT: TariElensar: Check out this site. Ardani.com (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elfears.php)

I'm getting my ears for my Zelda costume from this site. Their prices are very reasonable, though I'm not sure how well they blend. I think its still recommended that you use liquid latex to make the ear tip look more natural, but these people specialize in LotR and other fantasy styles. =D

Schuldig_
02-19-2008, 06:31 AM
TariElensar, there's no shame in getting into the fandom via the movies. The only thing that really makes my skin crawl is people who did it and then think they're experts (you know, the "Orlando Bloom said Legolas was X years old, so he's X years old!!" people...) But that could be because I'm a Craig Parker (Haldir) fangurl myself. ;)

On the ears issue, I can only agree with Squeeagie - liquid latex works wonders. I rarely use it as I tend to set my hair to cover the edges anyway, but for more elaborate hairdos, it's a must. It's easy to work with, too.

X_x_Vegan
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?

I've never cosplayed as any of the characters, but I've wanted to even before I knew what cosplaying was :) I've always wanted to be Luthien or Glorfindel :rockon: (poor Glorfindel, always getting left out)

I think it was when I was when I was in the seventh grade that I first saw about 30 seconds of the film on TV, and walked away, about a year later, I read the books and LOVED THEM. I watched th movies soon after. I then read Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion which quickly became, and still is, my favorite book, I must have litterally read it over one hundred times over the past few years O.O Seriously

My favorite story has to be Of Beren and Luthien :) It's so romantic, and I also love the stories about Numenor.

Like others have said, costume-wise, the movies are great, and I realize that you can't make the movie exactly like the book or else it would have been 30 hours long (which I wouldn't have minded) but I still miss some parts from the book : ( but overall I still enjoy them. I really enjoy more of the history of middle-earth, pre LotR, then the actual movie plot, more interesting I think.

I've always like the elves more. Just their secrecy and the mystery around them make them interesting. Plus, most of the Silmarillion is about them.

makotohanabi
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
1. Right now I'm working on a elf maiden costume, she doesn't have a name. I did borrow a friend's Coronation Eowyn costume at Dragon*Con last year.

2. My dad is a hardcore Tolkien fan and he read the storied to me and my sister when we were young. One of his happiest moments was being able to have a pint at Tolkien's favortie pub in Cambridge. My first time cosplaying was Dragon*Con when Yotan let me borrow her Eowyn costume so I could march in the parade. My elf costume has been planned for several years, but I wanted to make sure I had the skills to make it properly. LOtR is my dad's main fandom and I would get an earful if I messed it up. I'm hoping it will be complete for Balticon (Memorial Day weekend).

3. The movies are inspiration for the costumes only. I wanted to beat my head against the wall during the movies. Still annoyed they cut Tom Bobadil.

4. Think I will do another elf cosplay in the future since I have to buy the ears, and want to get my money's worth. Also like the elves I'm a lot older than I look. Thinking about Goldberry or Nellas for Costume Con next year. One of my friends has a Witch King costume, so I might make a Durnhelm costume.

U_ne_korn
02-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Gosh you guys make me feel oooolllld!! I read the books when I was 10, pushing 13 years ago now. Man they are a hard slog! I'm from NZ, so like everyone else in the country I went completely ballastic about it when the film crews arrived. :-D I actually did four nights of extra work (I mean, so did practically everyone else in the country, but you can see my face in the final cut, so I'm happy). I think that the movies are fantastic movies, if you take them at face value. I think that in some ways, they DID massacre the source material, but then again, all movies do. But I'd also have to so, some of the scenes would have just been TOO BORING to watch in film. I mean, the Council of Elrond ALONE would have been 3 hours. And frankly, if they had structured Frodo being captured after Shelob the way the books had, there would have been a riot.

My only foray into cosplaying Tolkein (I don't count extra'ing) was when my friend and I ran a semi-costumed marathon of all extended editions as part of our Tolkien club. May I just point out, that this is a really good way to never want to see the films again? I sewed up a corset top in one evening from a pattern I already had, wore it over a poets shirt and a long skirt.

I think if I did a full scale cosplay, I'd probably do one of the Rohirrm, probably Eowyn. I'm kinda stuck on that style of costumes at the moment. The patterns you can by in NZ now have lots of imitations of LOTR costumes.

Schuldig_
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd love to make a Goldberry costume! All the fun one could have just designing it! *salivates*

Funny, it seems like we're all Elves in here so far... Elves rock! ;)

U_ne_korn, where are you in the final cut? Now I have to go look (which I'm good at; I've worked with LotR cons so we always sit and pick out all the extras we know. *g*)

U_ne_korn
02-19-2008, 04:16 PM
In the bit where Frodo, Sam and Smeagol are about to head up the stairs, where the big light comes out of the Witch-Kings' castle. When we cut back to everyone in Gondor looking at the light, I'm one of the civillians in a crowd scene, but I'm right up the front. I really need to get a screen shot if I'm going to keep gloating about this!!

Enk
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd love to make a Goldberry costume! All the fun one could have just designing it! *salivates*

Funny, it seems like we're all Elves in here so far... Elves rock! ;)

Yes they do, and they are tall too :D Though I have more of a hobbit figure, but a 6-foot hobbit, not so much ;)

I love Silmarillion elves, especially Feanorians. They are so beautifully tragic. I also have various incarnations of Yavanna and a green wizard that could very well be her in human form.

I've loved LotR since I read it the second time (the first time I had no appreciation for it because it was for school). From then on it was a slow gradual envelopment that was peaked by the films (hype and people crawling out of the woodworks).

I love the movies like I love the books. They are telling the same story in two completely different ways and that is perfectly alright. Everything about the books was great and everything about the movies was great. It inspired a string of essays in my university career that compared the translation of a novel to a film/play with a script to a film/play.

Elves, particularly Silmarillion elves. They are a race of battle and passion and rawr unlike the elves of LotR who mostly just want to return across the sea. One of these days I do want to replicate one of Elrond's costumes from the movies though.
I tend to base my costumes more on artwork (Jenny Dolfen in particular) than the movies.

Schuldig_
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
U_ne_korn, it's okay to brag. Most of the "dead Elf's left leg" I know do, too, and they didn't even get a face shot. *g*

Enk, I look more like a Hobbit than an Elf, too... but here's to pretending! :cheers:

TwilightAmelia
02-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm too short to be an elf. =P So while I admire and respect them...Eowyn is my homegirl. I should put that on a T-Shirt. ^^;;

And U_ne_korn...thats totally awesome that you were able to be a part of the movies. *imaginary glompage* I'd brag too, if I were anywhere in a movie.

LadyAmaryllis
02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
1. I cosplay Arwen, mostly, but I really love Eowyn too. I think I look more like Eowyn. But since I'm in love with Aragorn I like to do Arwen ;___;
2. I read the books in fifth grade, which was...uh...like twelve years ago, something like that. I was a little reticent about the movies at first, because I thought they might lose the feel of the books, but was pleasantly surprised. One of the strongest fan-moments of my life was the movie prologue to Fellowship, with Galadriel talking, with THAT MUSIC playing...I was awed and overwhelmed.
3. Oops, I already answered this question. I do think the movies lose a little bit of the hobbits-eye view that the books had. I also don't like what they did with Arwen (being Glorifindel, then later "tied to the fate of the ring") but what else were they going to do? She had to do SOMETHING if she was going to be the love interest of a major character. I can't really fault them for her randomness.
4. No particular race. Just favorite characters. :D

Yay Lord of the Rings! I'm glad we started a thread on it. I've done the Arwen Mourning Gown, Eowyn Shield Maiden, and Arwen Rose Dress, but all three were when I was very new to cosplay and I'm not really happy with any of them. Top of my LOTR list presently is a re-do of my Arwen Mourning gown, but it won't happen for years. I put my Masquerade commitments at the top of my list and that doesn't leave room for much else. ;_;

s-meisters
02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I think it would be pretty awesome if someone cosplayed as their LOTRO character ^^. It's OC and pretty creative. I'd cosplay as my character, but my guy looks lame so >.>.

Schuldig_
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
LadyAmaryllis, I think your costumes are gorgeous. ;)

And yeah, the movie prologue completely swept me off my feet as well. Just the thought that someone was taking all my favourite childhood stories and making a movie... I had no idea at the time just how big LotR was, and I was rather alone in my fandom until I was around 21, so I thought it was huge that a movie producer would even bother with it. *g*

S-meisters, I have yet to play LotRO, but I would love to some day (read: when I have time and money). I take it you play? Would you recommend it?

s-meisters
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes I would, I can't speak for others so I can't say any more then that. All I can say is it's like WoW but with 100% better graphix.

Pilot
02-22-2008, 01:28 AM

I like playing generic, "crewman #6" types, because to me, the common soldiers were the real heroes in the stories. Besides... that way, you don't have to look exactly like any one character. ^^
Aside from that, I do have an extremely developed OC, Narthas of Gondolin, and should very much like to cosplay him someday.

I have to say it was the movies that got me into the fandom, and the movies that got me into costuming as well... I went to go see RotK dressed as a Helm's Deep Elf.

Fabulous. There are a few things that I nitpick at though, like the impracticality of some of the Elves' armor, but other than that I think it is a great resource and should be considered as canonical as it can get.

I've got two Elf costumes and one Ithilien Ranger costume, but I've had plenty of wanting to do much more from the realm of men. I associate with them the most (being one myself), Gondor in particular. I'd love to make a Haradrim costume, though, redo my ranger costume, and perhaps come up with something that a soldier of Dol Amroth would wear.

Enk
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
S-meisters, I have yet to play LotRO, but I would love to some day (read: when I have time and money). I take it you play? Would you recommend it?

I play too, started with the Open Beta and it's amazing and I have actually considered cosplaying as my character lol

s-meisters
02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
I play too, started with the Open Beta and it's amazing and I have actually considered cosplaying as my character lol

I think it's funny how people nitpick about the lack of PvP in the game, but the monster-play is more than anyone could ask for imho.

Also about the movies I think they did a great job (can't wait for The Hobbit.) I think they set the standard for how all the other LOTR should look. That's why I'm kinda disapointed with the online game, they're not the best at comming up with how languages should sound (i.e. Elvish in the game is not as pretty as it is in the movie.)

Schuldig_
02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Actually, even Tolkien didn't make Sindarin sound as pretty as it does in the movie! *g*

But I'm seriously starting to feel like playing... guess I'll have to get my butt downtown and see what I can do about it! I take it there's some costume inspiration to be had in the game as well?

Probability
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I admit I was kind of blessed the time I did LoTR with some friends. I always liked the Hobbits and Gandalf... so I realized early on either choice I went with didn't involve the armor designs some of my friends faced.

I ended up going as a Wizard, and the toughest part was just getting a staff that looked decent. I spent like two months shopping around, and finally found one at store near me that handles auctions of unwanted stuff for people. Like Ebay, only without the internet. Was beautifully hand carved, and was dirt cheap too. It had obviously been made by someone with a hobby in woodworking which was kind of cool, because it didn't look factory made.

As for LoTR online... I tried it once, but just didn't ever get into it. I thought it was a pretty solid game, it did just the right amount of copying other MMORPGs before it yet also bringing in it's own unique ideas that it was fun, stood out, and was certainly not a bad game. It just didn't grab me. I think it's just, well, Tolkien. Trying to cover that to fantasy fans is like trying to cover the bible for baptists. Plus it may just be I'm burnt on fantasy MMORPGs though, I'm waiting for Stargate before I do MMORPGs again. I can totally see why folks could like it, it's just for me his world will stay in his books for me.

Last_Chael
03-02-2008, 06:12 AM
LotR was actually what really got me ino costuming! I absolutely adored the costume designs, so I would sit for hours on the net and save pictures and look at all these wonderful costume replicas people were making! It's what started me thinking that perhaps I could make costumes too!!

I'm most definitely a Rohirrim, without a doubt! I'm very much like Eowyn, feisty and not at all ladylike :P Plus I'm very much an earthy person, not like the elves :P Eowyn is definitely my favourite character, though I look more like Arwen with my pale skin and dark hair.

Thus far I've done one LotR costume - Eowyn's Shieldmaiden outfit. I was so happy with how it turned out, I think it's my best costume thus far (apart from my Victorian bustle dress, but that's not cosplay). I would like to make a few other Eowyn costumes - white wool, green gown, Dernhelm, Refugee and coat, Coronation. I'd also like to make Arwen's Chase dress and her mourning gown.

Schuldig_
03-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Eowyn is definitely my favourite character, though I look more like Arwen with my pale skin and dark hair.

Isn't that typical? I look more like a hobbit (short and curly hair) but prefer the Elves. *g*

I'd love to see some pictures of your Eowyn dress - she had some gorgeous costumes, too.

I want to expand my wardrobe a little so badly, but as I'm busy making four costumes for YaoiCon, they have to be finished first before I dare venture into anything else. I also want to make Eth's spear - I have it in my head but just don't have the time - or the room, really - to make it right now. Sigh.

Last_Chael
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Hehehe it's always the way! I'm too tall to be a hobbit and not quite tall enough to be an elf (though I am tall for a chicky), so I'm happy with being a plain old human :P

I have some pictures Here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Eowyn%20-%20Shieldmaiden/) in my photobucket. I was always more of a fan of her outfits because they're feminine and fitted rather than being columny and rectaingular like the elves. And this is probably my favourite of her outfits! And please excuse the brown hair, I actually had ordered a wig, but the company waited until two weeks after I ordered it to inform me they could no longer get the colour I wanted, and it didn't leave enough time to order a different one.

I totally know the feeling! I have fabric for the chase dress, but just no time to make it because I have other costumes to work on, plus making normal clothes that I need for everyday!

Sarcasm-hime
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
To my shame, I only read the books after I saw Fellowship. :P I had tried reading The Hobbit as a kid and couldn't get into it, and didn't bother trying until the movies came out many years later.

I fell in love with Arwen's Blood Red dress right from the earliest promo material (and was driven nuts by the fact that it didn't appear until ROTK); I also love her coronation gown, but pale green is really not my colour; I'd look like a zombie.

I do really want to do a Luthien costume, but don't know when it'll be since I have about a billion other costumes on my to-do list, and very little time.

Schuldig_
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Sarcasm-hime, you handpainted the sleeves...? *awe* It looks fantastic. And I'm so jealous of your hair! (And psst... there's no shame in reading the books after seeing the movies... ;))

Last_Chael, your costume is gorgeous, as well! I love the way it fits you.

Perhaps the three of us should form a "Stressed out LotR-cosplayers" circle? *g*

Last_Chael
03-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I love Arwen's Blood red gowns as well, but I'm just not lithe enough to pull them off! I really love the design of the mourning gown (hence why I want to do it :P).

Thank you so much Schuldig! I absolutely LOVE the corset :D It tooke me about an hour to mark all the lines for the quilting, and then about another hour to sew them all! But it turned out so nicely, I absolutely love it to pieces. Plus it gives me a great figure! I just wish I had a decent blonde wig to go with it.

sam vimes
03-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Since there aren't really any Vanyar in Middle Earth, it's pretty easy to improvise her manners and outfits since no one can say anything about it. *g*

Oh...I think I could take a crack at it.:toothy:

One of these days I'll get around to making a LOTR costume. Love all things Tolkien!

*Shiva*
03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Heehee - good to know that now the movie hype has died down there are still some LOTR cosplayers out there! I've been a fan of LOTR since I read The Hobbit, LOTR and the Silmarilian (sp?) years ago, although I didn't get into the costuming aspect until I saw the gorgeous designs used in the film versions.

I've chosen to cosplay Arwen in particular because I love her character and I think I look most like her as opposed to the other characters. So far I've done her Coronation and Blood Red gowns, but in the future I'd love to do her Requiem, Mourning, and Chase outfits.

Garuda_Aiacos
03-11-2008, 05:20 AM
I've noticed that there are quite a few LotR cosplayers around, but no thread for them... so why not make one? I thought it could be fun to know a few things about you, such as:

The original LOTR Thread is almost 3 years old since the last post:
Lord of the Rings (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5802)

I had been doing LOTR Costuming since 2002 now and still doing it, looking around for materials and trimming, tho' my target now is to complete most of my costumes and Armors in time for the next movies release. Been trying to revive the LOTR Costumes Team here but we all got a little sidetracked with other costumes the past 2 years tho' we forsee a revival in time for The Hobbit movie release. Most had confirmed their involvement.

I had done Arwen, Eowyn, Haldir and Ringwraith No. 2 ("I should be in charge!" :crylaugh: ) so far and for the first 3, am still working on some of their other outfits and itching to redo my Ringwraith Outfit.

For Original Character, I have one and she is the Captain of the Eastern Borders Marchwardens of Lothlorien. She pretty Tomboy, having grown up tailing her brother most of the time while living at Lindon and Rivendell. Doesn't help too when Lady Galadriel choose to make her the 2nd person in charge with the Lothlorien Marchwardens, right below her brother. As for her race, it's pretty rojak (messed-up) as she seems to have all the bloodline of the Elves Races except the Sindar Elves!
I had so far roughly created 4 Outfits for her with one of them got its materials at hand.

Some time in 2002, my Star Wars friends recommended that we repeat the success of our SW Costumes Parade cum AOTC Movie Screening with LOTR. That got me picking up the books that my elder brother gotten for my younger brother (who doesn't read ), watching FOTR and doing research online for the costumes I'm interested in. Don my first LOTR Costume in 2003 and since then it had been a long-time addiction, just like with my SW and Harry Potter Costuming Hobby. Never stop "working" on the costumes and armors with half of my cloths stash is meant for LOTR Costumes.

Love the books (and that include the rest like The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Hobbit, HoME etc) and love how the movie had turned out.
Strangely, The Silmarillion is my favourite book. :toothy:

I see each medium having its own Pros and Cons.

I feel that PJ and Co. had done a good job adapting the books to the movies that will please even the regular movie goers and turning non-fans into LOTR Fanatics. Feel that he had made the correct decision in elimination certain characters or redoing certain scenes in order to make the movie less cheezy and "redeeming" others at the end like Glorfindel (but he's too young looking! :P ). I also prefer Aragorn in the movies than in the books.

The Costumes and Props Department had also done a GREAT job with the items, putting in a good amount of historical influences to give the movies a "Real-Life" feelings without making anything too cheezy (ugh! I kinda hate some of the outfits used for the LOTR Musical). I was amazed when I get to examine the original costumes and props before packing them, at how "like real" the things are like Anduril is a fully balanced sword while the Kings of Men Crowns or Rohirrim Helmets are real Bronze etc.

Anyhow, the movies was what inspired me to pay more attentions to materials and methods in the contruction of my costumes, apart from making me a LOTR Fan.

I usually go for Elves when I do LOTR Costuming as their characteristic is what I love.

Maybe that's why I love The Silmarillion as it's mostly the story of the Elves.

Btw, the LOTR Costuming Fandom never did die; if it had been the case, LOTR_Costume Mailing List would had been dead for months at a go. :eek: The Website is in need of updates tho but I understand Cat got a lot more RL issues to settle. Had been holding back some of my contributions to a later date when she's free again to update the website.

Sephirayne
03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi all. I'm a huge fan of LOTR and cosplay as Legolas. I have considered cosplaying as Galadriel but I still haven't completed my Leggy oufit (started 4 years ago). I do also cosplay as Haldir but at the moment hes resting as I need to redo the cloak.

I did go for the movie version as I loved the design. I'm a fan of the books as well. It was my father who introduced me to the books. He since then went on to make my sword for Haldir and loves my Legolas costume.

I prefer to copslay as an elf even through i'm not tall enough. My looks fit more with an elf than with any of the other races.

Schuldig_
03-15-2008, 05:55 PM
You should upload some pics of your LOTR costumes, you! *pokes*

And hey, very few people are Elf-height, but that doesn't stop us! *g*

Speaking of, I should have put this in the OP, but... have your guys worn your LOTR costumes to any cons? I'm curious because I've worked/arranged a few, so I might just have seen you!

Sarcasm-hime
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I've only worn Arwen to the LOTR con we had here in 2003, and Ad Astra (a local literary SF/F con). I thought of bringing her to Dragon*Con but worry about sweltering in the velvet.

TariElensar
07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
So I've decided to cosplay Measse from Book of Lost Tales 1 (First book in the Histories of Middle Earth I think). It'll be really interesting trying to come up with a design for a warrior goddess that doesn't look like a crazy Zena knockoff. She was cut from any further versions of lore (like the Silmarillion), but she IS a member of the Valar.

If you have suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. There's next to no description of her except that she has a spear at some point, and her arms are dyed red up to the elbow from all the things she's killed.

Schuldig_
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
The only thing I've ever been able to find about Méassë (apart from what you already know) is the notes at the end of “The Coming of the Valar” in The Book of Lost Tales I (HoME 1), where Christopher Tolkien says that "and of course the hall of Makar and Meássë (where the life described owes something to the myths of the Unending Battle in ancient Scandinavia)". It sounds very Viking-like to me, although, to my embarassment, I don't know what undending battle he speaks of, even though I'm Scandinavian... *blush*

(On a total random note... you're doing Sarah!!? *squee* TdV is my all-time favourite musical...! :bouncer:)

WilwarinAndamar
07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
LOL, I was also one of those who read LOTR after the movies came out. :angel2: However, I read The Hobbit in 6th grade and loved it.

I became such a fan when the movies came out that I spent an entire summer learning both forms of Elvish. :geek:

I'm making my first LOTR cosplay for the KC Ren Faire - I'm going as Arwen in her Requiem gown (the periwinkle blue one). :)

TariElensar
07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
@ Schuldig - Ooh, thanks! I didn't connect the way the hall looks with how she might look. And props for the proper accents... laziness ftw. And yup, I'm doing Sarah - the red gown (like everyone else who cosplays her, xD) It's rare to meet a fellow Tanz fan (or at least for me...Silly America.)

I was thinking something dramatic, but the problem is making it FUNCTIONAL. I'm toying with the notion of a long dress with a slit up the front for movement's sake, a chain mail skirt over that, some sort of tattered sleeve for the illusion I've knocked some heads in, but I really don't know. The color scheme is also kinda whack. I sort of want to do mostly black with red accents, but that's SO cliche. The other notion was a white/off white dress that's been stained, and mostly black accents to try and get a more metallic/iron-y feel. I don't know though. Too Eowyn?

@ WilwarinAndamar - Wow, good luck with that dress, it's super gorgeous. We must see pictures when you do it. How on earth did you learn BOTH forms of Elvish? I had enough problems with my pathetic attempt at Sindarin... =(

makotohanabi
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Finished my elf costume, learned I'm not graceful enough to be an elf.

http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/158500

Fashwiing
07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I've got a mostly-finished Legolas, but I need to get a good pair of breeches, bracers and boots for him. And a wig, and a quiver. Agh, I'll finish him someday.

WilwarinAndamar
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
@ WilwarinAndamar - Wow, good luck with that dress, it's super gorgeous. We must see pictures when you do it. How on earth did you learn BOTH forms of Elvish? I had enough problems with my pathetic attempt at Sindarin... =(

Thanks. I love that dress too. Blue looks better on me than red, and I'm not that big of a fan of the coronation dress. I'll start working on it after AnimeIowa when I have more time and funds. :reverse: And yes, there WILL be pictures. ^^

I started with Quenya first, which was fairly easy (I had taken 3 years of Spanish in high school and the grammar was similar enough for me to pick up rather easily). Sindarin was a lot tougher, and I still make some mistakes with it. But with practice, I've gotten better.

I started out using the indexes of the books, but then I discovered the site Ardalambion (http://uib.no/people/hnohf/)and use that to translate everything. ^^

Garuda_Aiacos
07-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Finished my elf costume, learned I'm not graceful enough to be an elf.

http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/158500

Looked nice IMHO. ;) LOL! Dun worry about not graceful enough to be elf. More you do it, the more you can fit the role. ;)

For me, whenever I don my Arwen or Galadriel or Haldir costumes, I just let the costume "influence me" to act elf-like. :toothy: Same goes when I do Ringwraith or Eowyn.

Anyhow, am tempted to do an Ithilien Ranger soon for an upcoming event. Got most of the infos from ACS-LOTR and gonna do it in stages; get the basics done and then get the details but I wonder, has anyone else did a good one before based on the movie version?

Can offer some tips?

Schuldig_
07-11-2008, 07:28 AM
@ TariElensar: Hehe, I'm not too picky with accents normally... but I, too, have studied Quenya and Sindarin, and it just sits in my fingers by now. Occupational hazards of a nerd, I guess! :geek:

Well, considering how the American version of TdV went down... ugh. It's not even something I want to talk about! Are you a Steiman fan, too, or how did you find this gem? It's not often musicals in foreign lingos spread to the U.S.

Colour schemes... hmm. Good question. If you're thinking about going for something inspired by Nordic mythology, I once saw a gorgeous, Valkyrie-like costume that was a sort of dove-blue with brown accents - it looked great, but of course now I can't find the image. Either way, I'm as stumped as you are. Darn Tolkien. Even his more well-known characters are extremely vagely described - it's enough to drive a costumer potty! :lost:

@ makotohanabi: No one is graceful enough to be an Elf - but that doesn't stop us... *g* You still look great, though, graceful or not. ;)

@ WilwarinAndamar: Wow. I'd love to have more time for both Sindarin and Quenya. I even used to have a Sindarin teacher, but real life enchroaced on those studies. :mad: Ardalambion is a treasurechest - we need something to fight all the Grelvish out there... ugh!

Sephirayne
07-16-2008, 03:34 AM
You should upload some pics of your LOTR costumes, you! *pokes*

And hey, very few people are Elf-height, but that doesn't stop us! *g*

Speaking of, I should have put this in the OP, but... have your guys worn your LOTR costumes to any cons? I'm curious because I've worked/arranged a few, so I might just have seen you!

Yeap, I have. In my gallery there are convention shots of my Legolas. I'm planning on doing a photo shoot once I've fixed the arm guards and leg wraps. They died a death after much wear so I'm replacing them.

I also have Lothlorien Haldir. I'm going to be posting photos of him soon.

I do have Legolas' corronation outfit planned but have yet to find a good fabric for him.

WilwarinAndamar
07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
I lucked out. I found periwinkle blue velvet 50% off. I might just buy it now and work on my Arwen dress after AnimeIowa. :)

Sephirayne
07-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Sounds lovely. Velvet is always worth getting when you see it cheap. I've rarely found it in sales.

Garuda_Aiacos
07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Ugh! Velvet.......why is it getting harder and harder to find the drapey, not-too-thick-kind in Singapore, let alone Silk Velvet? And when it's there in the correct color, it cost a bomb per metre as only available at Spotlight.

Seriously, I feel soooooo tempted to order the Slate Blue Silk Velvet from eBay as it looked like the same color as the "Screen-Look" of the Requiem Dress Jumper (real life color is another story all together and hard to achieve easily, especially from someone who had seen it in person under White Light). But the cost of shipping is as much as the cost of the fabric itself for me. :(

WilwarinAndamar
07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Nevermind. When I went back, it was sold out. And it looks unlikely they'll be getting more. :( It is virtually impossible to find periwinkle blue velvet or penne that's even close.

I might be making her Blood Red Dress afterall. *shrugs*

Garuda_Aiacos
07-21-2008, 02:45 AM
You got USD12/yard to spare?

Can get the "correct" color one from eBay if got the money to spare.

WilwarinAndamar
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
^^ No, sorry. I dislike eBay, and I'm on a tighter budget since I'm quitting my job and don't know when I'll be getting a new one.

It'll be a while before I start making her dress anyhow, so I might be able to find that fabric again; we'll see...

Garuda_Aiacos
03-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Upping this thread ;)

Kinda 2+ more years to get your new LOTR/Middle-Earth Costumes and Armors ready for The Hobbit Movie release. :D

Schuldig_
03-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Upping this thread ;)

Kinda 2+ more years to get your new LOTR/Middle-Earth Costumes and Armors ready for The Hobbit Movie release. :D

That should give even someone as slow as me plenty of time to finish (she says now...) I'm vaguely thinking about going as a Mirkwood Elf this time (though I'm a Galadhrim at heart). Perhaps the kingy himself, if I could find something to work from.

Arokka
03-11-2009, 06:16 AM
if I could find something to work from.

Stilts to begin with? :p :p

Schuldig_
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Stilts to begin with? :p :p

You, evil, tall woman, are to behave. Besides, it doesn't say anywhere that Thranduil is tall. So there. :razz:

Sephirayne
03-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Hmm! I may work on my Legolas coranation outfit for the new movies. I've done both basic Legolas and grey Haldir. I have also made two Arwen's and one Elrond for friends and my brother.

Legolas' coranation outfit is one I've wanted to do for a while but struggled to find the right fabric. I may just block print it.

Schuldig_
03-17-2009, 04:06 AM
That outfit is gorgeous - though, I've always wanted to make one of Elrond's robes, myself. I'm more for imposing than formal. :) But don't you have a ton of other blondes to work on right now? I thought the last costume list I saw from you was rather... impressive, to say the least.

Stormraven24
05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I knew there was already an LotR thread on here somewhere :3

So, I wanna answer the questions in the first post since I have that kind of time:

First I had an OC. I might post her backstory and outline on here when/if I feel like it :3 Now I want to cosplay Arwen in her coronation dress. Green normally looks hideous on me, but I think a pale, sea foam green will work. And the fact that I've found awesome tutorials and references on that dress don't hurt either ^_^

I won't lie. The movies. I'm still in love with them despite not having read the books yet (I can only take so much of Tolkien describing the hobbits walking around a tree before I need something else to stay awake), and the costumes were simply stunning. A lot of love went into those films and it's evident from the final products. My OC will be my first cosplay from the series, and Arwen will (hopefully) be my second. One of my dreams is to cosplay the Mouth of Sauron, though -daydreams- Maybe I can paint my horse and get some action shots on horseback -daydreams even harder-

I love them. I don't care what anyone says. Even if they're off from the books, it's going to happen. A lot of things need to be cut for pacing, a lot of things are going to change for continuity/budget/script reasons. Hey, at least it's not like Queen of the Damned -shudders-

The Elves. A minor part of me likes them because I was once told I had very Elf-like qualities (stfu, I thought it was a nice compliment :p), and the major reason I want to cosplay them is because I aspire to be like them in a way, if that doesn't make me sound completely insane. Think about it: they're beautiful, long-lived, excellent warriors, concerned about the greater good and the world around them, a wonderful sense of community is ingrained in their societies, and they're tall and have kickin' wardrobes XD

Anyway, what I'd really like to be able to do is have a full set of all the female's outfits since there's only three in the whole damn series XD And come up with a set for my OC as well :)

Berzerker_prime
05-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I've wanted to make one of the Fountain Guard costumes for a long time, now. You know, the ones with the feathers sticking out of their helmets on the sides of their heads? That whole thing is pretty as all get-out.

I play a LotR larp-like thingy (it's sorta larp, sorta not) every six months, so I've done a lot of costumes. They've all been geared toward running through the woods, though, so often they're more practical than impressive and usually not based on anything in the movies or other artwork.

The best one I've probably done was my Ring Wraith. It gets trotted out to freak people out every once in a while at need. Second to that was probably my Derufin costume (in-game he was labeled as "citadel guard of Gondor") and it got recycled into a Beregond costume. My Galadriel looked good, but was mainly comprised of existing pieces. Smaug was fun to make, but definitely shows most obviously the function-over-form philosophy I usually have to take.

I want to do more LotR show pieces. But a while ago, I heard this rumor that Weta had problems with people making reproductions and competing with them in competitions, so I've been a little afraid to try it. Has anyone else ever heard this? Am I better off taking a description from the books and making my own design?

Stormraven24
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM
^ That's the first I've heard about it. What exactly is the issue? I understand losing profits off people selling reproductions at much lower costs, but is that what they're worried about? :/

And that's really cool you want to do a guard uniform! Their helmets are one of my top faves (the Second Age Elves being my top fave). And I'm just about in love with their spears :)

And I just about fangasmed a few minutes ago: I found a couple fabrics in near-perfect shades of green for Arwen's coronation dress! Ordering a few swatches to see how the fabric feels and might drape to be safe -crosses fingers-

Satine
05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Weta doesn't compete in contests that I know of. In what context was this rumour? If you ever go to a con where there is a Weta stand and you rock up in your kit they'll want to talk- but it'll be good "what did you make this from" talk ;) I know from personal experience and other people I know :)

Berzerker_prime
05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I can't remember where I heard it. It was a number of years ago, now. Just something about some costumers who had competed in Masquerades with their own reproductions getting cease and desist orders from Weta.

But it sort of sounds like it was just a vicious rumor.

Excellent... :toothy:

Stormraven24
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, sounds like just a rumor, unless those people were passing them off as "I got this direct from WETA, lol!" I would think they'd be more like "holy cow, how did you make this? You just used cotton? It looks just like ours!" or something ^_^

I have a fabric question. I've finished a dress for my LotR OC, but I want to make a cloak for her as well. Since she is basically royalty (long story), I want a fabric that will reflect that and also reflect her connection to the Elves (adoptive family). The pattern I'm going to use is a McCall's one that I don't remember the number for; floor-length, gathered drawstring hood. I've been looking at found two I might be able to use to acheive this: velvet and velboa. Can anyone tell me about velboa? I don't know what it feels like, if it's easy/difficult to work with, how it drapes, etc.

dagmarus
05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I know I go on about my Aragorn costume a lot, but it really IS my favorite of all my costumes. I recently got in touch with the man who made the footwear for the movies and he's working on a pair of exact replica Aragorn boots for me! Woot!

Stormraven24
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
^ That is amazing! Going right to the source, eh? Think he could do a pair of Arwen slippers for me while he's at it? XD I kid, I kid.

Mcos
05-19-2010, 11:52 PM
1. I am currently slowly asssembling the necessary materials for a Mouth of Sauron costume (including working on those monstrous teeth, and working on my creepy voice), and also planning a Sauron costume (I'm not sure whether or not to make him as he was when he was "The Necromancer"). I have also done a thrown-together-at-the-last-moment haradrim. Maybe a ringwraith (possible the witch-king) is also in the cards. And the king of the dead........

2. I have to admit that the movies got me into the series. I fell in love with the first movie, so read the books.

3. I personally loved the movie.

4. The undead things (including the Mouth of Sauron). I mean, the cairn wraiths, the army of the dead, the ring wraiths, Sauron himself, and all of the others. They just had a cool vibe to them that I couldn't resist.

Stormraven24
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
1. I am currently slowly asssembling the necessary materials for a Mouth of Sauron costume (including working on those monstrous teeth, and working on my creepy voice),

Thank you for proving that I'm not the only one who wants to cosplay the Mouth of Sauron! I doubt it's gonna happen for me anytime in the near future, but I still like to dream :)

Berzerker_prime
05-22-2010, 04:08 PM
That would be pretty epic. You'd need a handler to wander around with you at a con, though, thanks to the helmet having no eyes. You could get someone to dress as an Orc escort or something.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Heehee......Mouth of Sauron is also in my List a long time ago but until I improve my Armor/Props Building skill, it's just a dream

*Point at the 1/2 done Galadhrim Armor*

I actually have a theory on how to be able to see thru his helmet, along the line of the placements of the panels in his helmet to be able to create small slits and maybe using one of the thinging used to darken windows (we can see outside but as long inside is dark, others can't see in) for the front or side panels. But till tested out, it's just a theory.......

Hmm....maybe when I'm a lot slimmer (soon I hope!), I want to dig out the cloths I had gotten for Annatar years ago. One of those expansive purchases I did for my costume as I bought Silk Dupioni. Ya, not as expansive as compared buying from Spotlight (sold so ex there!) or what you all might pay for it but still a big purchase for me. :(

Stormraven24
05-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I've been doing some pretty intense research on the coronation gown, and it;s gonna be a lot harder than I first thought @_@ The basic structure of the dress is pretty simple and (hopefully) easy, but all the beading and lacework is gonna eat up most of the time. I have a couple of ideas on how to recreate the lace pattern, but it'll take a looooooot of time, even before doing the beading -headdesk- Why did I have to pick that dress to make this time around? XD Now I gotta order some more swatches to see if chiffon would good for the underdress, or if I can get away with a matte satin or something. And more organza! Hurray! -dead-

Well, until I figure out the dress I've got my fabric to make the banner with, so I want to start on that sometime this week. At least get it cut out and transfer the patterns onto it :)

That would be pretty epic. You'd need a handler to wander around with you at a con, though, thanks to the helmet having no eyes. You could get someone to dress as an Orc escort or something.

Shoot, I don't have good enough friends that would help me out. Knowing them they'd walk me right into a wall XD Plus I'd feel really bad having someone essentially be my slave while I wore it; I tend to wear my cosplays all day long. Hey, if I'm gonna spend that much money and work that hard on it I'm gonna wear it for its worth, dammit! :3

Kazephyr
05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I cosplayed Frodo (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/247405/) (no proper photoshoot yet... it's coming) for a LotR symphony. ^^ I was an utter nitpick on the fabrics, which is part of why there's no frock coat... I couldn't find a perfect enough fabric. XP Everything else is basically the same as what they used in terms of fiber and weave...

What I learned: I'm never making another LotR costume again. XD Way too many details to obsess over. XD

Berzerker_prime
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
What I learned: I'm never making another LotR costume again. XD Way too many details to obsess over. XD

Aww, but that's the fun part! Stressing and obsessing and making sure everything is just-so to the point where the only cure is intoxication! :drink:

If re-creation isn't your bag, though, you could always do an original design based on the descriptions in the books. There are a number of things that the movies did different from the descriptions in the books in order to make it look more like a unified whole (Éowyn's starry mantle is the first thing that comes to mind; they way overdid the stars). The costume designs from the movies may be more recognizable these days, but there are plenty of people who will fawn over a well-done original design.

Stormraven24
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Aww, but that's the fun part! Stressing and obsessing and making sure everything is just-so to the point where the only cure is intoxication! :drink:

Agreed. Sure, it's kept me up at night for the better part of two weeks now and is making steam come out of my ears at every turn, but that's the fun part! ^_^ As for the fabric, I'm also a total retentive prick when it comes to the fabric for this costume, but I know I don't like the feel of the silk velvet they used in the movie, so I'm improvising with peachskin. I think it's for the best :3 (-haaaates velvet-)

Kazephyr
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM

If re-creation isn't your bag, though, you could always do an original design based on the descriptions in the books. There are a number of things that the movies did different from the descriptions in the books in order to make it look more like a unified whole (Éowyn's starry mantle is the first thing that comes to mind; they way overdid the stars). The costume designs from the movies may be more recognizable these days, but there are plenty of people who will fawn over a well-done original design.

I've considered doing book designs, but... I have hideous design sense, so I like having a direct reference. >_<;; Drawings are really a happy medium for me, because there's detail without it being "down-to-the-type-of-thread-they-used" detail. XD It might just be men's historical clothing I hate making though; I've considered making Arwen's cranberry gown down the road (only a couple fabrics to hunt down, there XD).

Beyond that, there's some illustrations in various editions of the books I think would make for beautiful costumes... I do think re-creating articles of clothing that actually exist is too much pressure for me. >_<;;

Agreed. Sure, it's kept me up at night for the better part of two weeks now and is making steam come out of my ears at every turn, but that's the fun part! ^_^ As for the fabric, I'm also a total retentive prick when it comes to the fabric for this costume, but I know I don't like the feel of the silk velvet they used in the movie, so I'm improvising with peachskin. I think it's for the best :3 (-haaaates velvet-)

I know some people hate the feel of velvet, though I personally like it. ^^;; Peachskin is a nice substitute, though. :)

Nia_Nageraboshi
06-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I will start a LOTR costume, based in the movie´s Arwen´s requiem dress, I´m making a Mirkwood Maiden style dress
I want also do a original design, but I´m still working in the sketch and design because I dont want to do in out of period... so..

If I have the phisical apearence like a certain character.. I would do it, but because I dont have blond hair, im not in the lines as a hobbit or has the posibility to do crossplay... I can say that I´ll make a original character (based in the movie outfits)

but yeah, I have a Original Character: Nibenwen, I´m currently working in her story, a fanfic, eventually I will work in other costumes for her,... originally I has another character, Ninde Tasartir, but the fanfic that I was writing for her, was to much out of enviroment in the middle-earth, that I drop aside the project

I currently have some years in the fandom, in JRRT fandom.. I have like.. 10 years or something like that... but I have never decided to make a cosplay or costume of this book/movie, but I want new challenges in costuming and clothing.. so, I re-take this project

the movie tells the story in other point of vew, in the book, you see all like a narration, in the movie is the same, but with the actors and all they give you another side of the story, centered most of it in Aragorn vs Sauron and Frodo and Sam friendship.. in the book you can gave the interpretation that you want, but no matter what you´ll end up sucked in all the enviroment of the middle-earth, you almost can feel that you walk among them
sure, the movie has changes from the book, but thats something that you cant help...
in other hand, I think that its a great surce of inspiration, because that way, you dont do something to celtic, to medieval or out of period

elves, always elves.. they are in sintony with their enviroment, whit the nature, that its impossible to not feel something for them...
they are well mannered, polite, respectfull, wise, king hearted.. but also they have a great weigh in their shoulders...
its impossible to not love them..

randomstuff
06-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello LOTR fans :) I'm also a big fan of the series, I've read the books a few times and seen the movies (I tried to watch all three extended editions in one day... bad plan!) but I'd never really considered cosplaying it.

However, my brother approached me yesterday about making him an Aragorn costume for Halloween this year and I'd love some advice on what to do about it.

Firstly, do any of you have any suggestions as to which version of Aragorn would be relatively simple to make? He's leaning towards one of the Two Towers costumes, I think the one from Helm's Deep but he's willing to change. And since I know that he probably won't treat it all that kindly (he's planning on wearing this to a nightclub!) I don't want to spend months slaving away on detailed pieces that will just get wrecked, so any advice on a plainer costume would be greatly appreciated :) (Would his Strider outfit be a good one? I'm quite partial to it myself...)

Secondly, does anyone know a good site for screen grabs from the movies, or do I have to do that myself? (I don't mind doing it, it would just be handy to have them there!)

Thirdly, any advice re: fabrics would be awesome. I suppose it would depend on what version, but I think he definitely wants one of the elven cloaks, and those to me look like they're made out of some sort of wool? Then again, I'm not the most experienced in terms of fabrics, so if anyone had advice on that front I'd really appreciate it :)

This has turned into a bit of an essay - sorry! xD To summarise - which version of Aragorn would be best, is there an online resource of screenshots and what type of fabric would be suitable for the elven cloak?
Sorry for writing so much, but I'd appreciate any help you could give me! :)

Stormraven24
06-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Try this site: www.alleycatscratch.com. It's helped me so freakin' much, along with their Yahoo fan group linked on the site. They basically tear the costumes apart and give their opinions and thoughts on how to recreate them along with a boatload of pics.

For my LotR OC, I have good news! Thanks to a very lovely, helpful cosplayer I found a way to make my body paint smooth, long-lasting, and the near-perfect color! I tested it on my arm yesterday and will test it on my face Monday before AMA so I can work out everything before the con. I've conned a friend into taking photos of my costume, so I'll be uploading them within the next couple weeks -uberexcited-

Pixie of Death
06-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Howdy, Folks! Allow me to introduce myself, in a manner of speaking...

Elrond! I'm beginning my LOTR costuming spree with his armor and those lovely robes he's wearing when he's out in the gazebo trying to read and is so rudely interrupted by Arwen's surprise return (or as I've dubbed it, Elrond's Reading Dress :p). Once these are finished, the Grey Havens robes are next (if for no reason other than those sleeves). And from there, probably the rest of his wardrobe. :P

I'm also working on Galadriel for my partner. :toothy:

I always wanted to be a LOTR fan. I've always been a geek, and it just seems like sort of a prerequisite. The Hobbit was required reading material for my 8th grade English class, and I rather enjoyed it. But when I tried to read the trilogy, I was overwhelmed by the exceedingly detailed descriptions and long, drawn-out meanderings and generally snail-like pace. So I gave up. And then the movies came out. I felt much as I did about The Hobbit. I liked them. They were good. I wouldn't mind watching them again. And I had a feeling that if I spent a little more time with the characters and got to know them a bit better, I'd really like them.

That didn't happen until just recently, when my BFF and I decided it was high time we watch the movies again. This time, something clicked and I finally fell in love with the story. Especially the Elves. Which is why I started my second go at reading Tolkien with The Silmarillion, and I am proud to say that I'm nearly halfway through it, and I haven't wanted to pull my hair out once! :p

As far as costumes go, as I mentioned earlier, I'm just starting cosplaying LOTR. Elrond has always been my favorite character, so that was a no-brainer. I loved getting a glimpse of his more badass side in the prologue, and that armor is just gorgeous. Plus, I've always wanted to try making armor, so again, that was pretty easy decision. As for the robes I chose, I have to admit, it's all about the belt. It's like a wee ickle corset! How could I pass up the opportunity to cosplay a pointy-eared man in a corset? :P

I guess I kind of already answered this. I love them! I wouldn't be a fan if it weren't for them. And whether or not they comply with the book's descriptions, the costumes are amazing. They did such a fantastic job of conveying the traits of both individuals and the various races in general through their costumes. Just looking at the Elves, for instance, you get a sense of their somewhat aloof nature and the sort of sadness that underlies their existence.

Uhm... Have I mentioned that I like the Elves? :p Basically, I am an Elf, at heart. I always have been; I just didn't know it. I assume it was some sort of birth defect that left me with such terribly round, unpointed ears.

~ ~ ~

Also, on a side note, I'm having a hard time finding a suitable fabric for that aforementioned belt (see attachment). I believe the bottom layer is likely a brocade or damask, perhaps with a diamond pattern, though it's hard to tell... And I really have no idea what the top layer might be. Any suggestions as to fabric type for either of these and/or where I might find said fabric would be very much appreciated. My thanks in advance!

Pixie of Death
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh, no. I killed it. O_O

Stormraven24
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
^ XDD No, no. You didn't. I'd contribute more myself but I've got two cosplays that have taken over my mind before I can even start on Arwen, and I already know hers is going to take a couple years before it's complete.

So yeah 8B

Pixie of Death
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh, good. xD Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find an LOTR thread that was still alive. I'm late for the trilogy and way early for The Hobbit, so I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else working on anything.

Oh, man. Arwen... Which one are you planning?

VerrinEleni
06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I haven't done any real cosplay for LOTR as I'm a stickler for details and I can't afford the fabric that I want for any of the cosplays I would love to do. When I get the money I am going to do Eowyn's dresses. Probably all of them. Possibly even the armor from the Battle of Pelennor, if and or when I want to get into armor making.

Watching the oringal animated The Hobbit as a child. Then I started reading the books. As I said, I haven't officially cosplayed anyone yet, but I made a (really bad) rip off of her Shield Maiden gown as a practice sewing project. Crappy polyester fabric and everything XD. In regards to actual cosplay, I'm working on the patterns of several of her outfits, but I haven't yet started on one besides that. My friend wants to go to a Renn faire in full garb, so I'm considering budgeting for one of her gowns rather than something historically accurate.

Well, they are amazing costume inspiration. Like OMG pretty dresses. But they completely messed up some things that I consider integral to the feel and purpose of the book (feel free to skip if you don't want to be bored by my fangirl rant). My main issues with the movies start with Arwen being given the knowledge and might of Glorfindel, Elrond, and Gandalf in her finding of Aragorn and the hobbits, her flight from the Ring Wraiths, and her calling down of the river. I'm not going into more detail than that right now, as this is not that type of forum and it would take pages, lol. My next major issue is with the feel of Lothlorian. If I have to explain to every single person I watch the movie with that no, Galadrial is not almost evil, and no, the intention of that forest is not to be really creepy, but to be beautiful, if nostalgic and represent how life once was on Middle Earth, I get really annoyed with the movie really fast.

The next big issue I have is the random Elves at Helm's Deep. Like, what? The Elves not going into battle (with the exception of Legolas who is part of the fellowship, and Elladan and Elrohir who do so to represent both that they have the same choice that their sister has and because they have ridden with the Rangers for years as well) signifies that it is now the age of Man, and the time of the Elves has passed. And killing Haldir, really? Did you need to add more useless drama and angst to this scene?

My next issue is with Faramir. Why did they feel the need to completely change his character? To quote him from The Two Towers: "But fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her, so, using the weapon of the Dark Lord for her good and my glory. No, I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo." This is part of the reason I adored him, was fascinated by him, and yes, had a childhood crush on him. It annoys me that they felt the need to change his character so drastically (as well as mostly leave out the romance between him and Eowyn, but that is neither here nor there).

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly fine with people who adore the movies. I adore the movies myself, as long as I take them simply for movies (and costume inspirations!), and not representations of the books. But, yeah, they do mess up a lot of things. >_> -end rant-

Men, all the way. I adore Eowyn, partially because she was my first intro to a woman who can quite literally, kick ass. If I was ever willing to put on fake facial hair, I would totally cosplay some of the men as well.

-Pixie f Death- I can't seem to see the attachment in regards to the costume you mentioned in your previous post. If you're still working on it, I'll try to look up pictures (or if you can link to one that would be great); I'd be happy to help you look for suitable fabrics.

Pixie of Death
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
VerrinEleni - I know just how you feel about not being able to afford the right fabrics. I was worried that would be the case when I started shopping for fabrics. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find my silk dupioni on sale at Denver Fabrics (http://www.denverfabrics.com/). I'm not sure how often they have such sales, but they seem to have good prices anyway, so you may want to check them out.

Also, it seems I forgot to actually attach the attachment I mentioned. *facepalm* Trying again with this post... If it doesn't work this time, I'll hunt down a link. Thank you so much for the help! :)

Garuda_Aiacos
06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh, good. xD Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find an LOTR thread that was still alive. I'm late for the trilogy and way early for The Hobbit, so I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else working on anything.

Heh, I'm still technically doing LOTR Costumes tho' due to certain current cosplay projects (Saint Seiya) and no pressing need to wear them to an event any time soon, most put on hibernation. Anyway, majority are still in cloth forms.

But every other day, I can still "hear" my Alan Lee Galadriel Gown SCREAMING at me to give it its Cape and get a New Galadriel Wig. :bashful:

Stormraven24
06-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Oh, man. Arwen... Which one are you planning?

Well, if everything goes like I wish for (PJ, get your butt in the director's chair and start this thing! Make the rumor a reality, mah man!), you may not be too early for the Hobbit ;)

Coronation gown Arwen. I didn't realize how intricate I was until I found Alley Cat Scratch. Holy cow, all that beading @_@ I'm going to at least try to finish the coronation banner first since I've got most of the materials and am still working out the mock-up (I'm anal about dimensions and shit xD). I just need to find the right type of flowers for it and I've had zero luck so far -sob-

VerrinEleni
06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Pixie of Death- The top layer of fabric honestly looks like a silk although you can probably find something synthetic that would work for it as well. Do you live by any fabric stores? Where I work (Hancock Fabrics) there's a home decor department that has some drapery fabrics that have the sort of feel of both fabrics in the belt. I think I even saw something that might work for the top layer there the other week. Shopping around a home dec fabric department is the first thing I'd recommend, especially since most fabric stores sell fabric remnants for a discount price, and you won't need a ton for the belt. I'll look around online some too.

I'm always wary about buying fabric online, since it's so easy for the fabric to be misrepresented in the photos (and I don't get to touch it before buying). Do you know if they sell/give out samples?

Pixie of Death
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Stormraven - Good point. And I second that! Are you listening, Peter? :P

Ooooh! Yeah, that one's deceptive. It doesn't look nearly that detailed on screen. Or that green! O_O

Man, it's always the things that seem like they should be easy to find that always wind up being a pain in the butt. Wish I could offer some advice, but other than the usual craft stores I don't know where to tell you to look. Although, Etsy may be worth a shot. Craft supplies are somewhat hit or miss there, so there may be nothing, but it would be worth looking.

VerrinEleni - I was thinking silk, as well. Wish I'd been thinking of the belt when I ordered my other silk... >_< Ah, well. There is a small fabric store nearby, but most of what they carry is cotton prints (if I was a quilter it would be wonderful!). They do have some upholstery/home decor fabrics, but I didn't really see anything applicable. I may go have another look, though. I had a few different costumes bouncing around my brain, so I may have overlooked something useful. :p Barring that, there's another larger shop not too far that I need to go have a look at...

Denver Fabrics does indeed offer swatches on a lot of their fabrics for $1.50 each. And anything they don't specifically offer a swatch for you can get the minimum quantity, which is usually 1/8 yard.

Stormraven24
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
StormravenMan, it's always the things that seem like they should be easy to find that always wind up being a pain in the butt. Wish I could offer some advice, but other than the usual craft stores I don't know where to tell you to look. Although, Etsy may be worth a shot. Craft supplies are somewhat hit or miss there, so there may be nothing, but it would be worth looking.

Oh, I already know exactly where to get the fabrics I want for it. It's just a matter of getting the funds together so I can do one big order and having the patterns drafted out. Not to mention all the beadwork involved later @_@

Pixie of Death
06-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Oh, I was referring to the flowers for the banner being surprisingly hard to find. Sorry, I just realized how vague that was. :p

Though, fabrics can be a pain to find sometimes too. Glad to hear you've found yours. That's half the battle! Okay, well maybe not quite half, but it's something, right? ;)

That beadwork, though... Wow. O_O

Narnian
06-30-2010, 06:28 AM
I would love to make a LOTR cosplay sometime. I just don't know what character or outfit to make.

Stormraven24
06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
@ Pixie: Oh, my bad xD I've tried looking online but I'm not sure how to search for something like that. "Star-shaped white flowers fake floral". Lolwut? xDD I make search engines explode :3

Pixie of Death
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Narnian - I understand. There are so many to choose from and they're all awesome!

Stormraven - LOL. Good point... XD I did a quick search on Etsy just for white artificial flowers (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=white+artificial+f lowers&search_type=supplies&page=1). I don't have a reference for the banner handy, but might something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/27318116/1-in-artificial-silk-flowers-6-pc-craft?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_search_query=white+artificial+flowers&ga_search_type=supplies&ga_page=3&order=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title) work?

Stormraven24
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh wow! Thank you! I think they may be too big for my banner, but they're definitely closer than what I've found so far <3

Pixie of Death
06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
You're very welcome! Glad I could help. :)

Suzie Blue
07-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I LOVE LotR!!!! I watched all 3 movies today. Yay for me. lol

This is kind of unrelated, but after watching the films today, I have decided that I want to make an LotR-inspired Princess Zelda after Jackson's elves. (Did that make sense??)

But, ooh, there are so many yummy costumes in these films! I want to make them all. Where to begin?? : )

Pixie of Death
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Suzie Blue - Elf!Zelda would be cool, I think. :)

Also, off-topic, but I'm an Etsy seller too! http://TheAshGrove.etsy.com :D

Suzie Blue
07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I do too! lol I think an entire Middle Earth Zelda group would be awesome.

Cool- I'm still waiting on my first sale; hopefully it will come soon!! : )

Anyway, back to LotR, I LOVE PIPPIN!! lol I have an order to knit his scarf for someone here on Coscom, and I cannot wait to start on it!! I've just had a really difficult time matching yarn to his scarf because the colors NEVER look the same!! I think I have found yarn that will work quite well, though.

I seriously feel like watching Fellowship again....I need to get the Deluxe Edition DVDs! XD

Pixie of Death
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
It would be! XD

Pippin scarf! How cool! XD That reminds me, I still need to knit some Harry Potter scarves... I've been sitting on the patterns for a while, but I'm not allowed to start anything else until I finish the projects I have in progress already.

Oh, man. We just got the extended editions and ;dfjaokedfj OMG they are AWESOME. So worth it for the extra scenes alone. We haven't even gotten around to watching any of the special features yet... *__*

Lithium Flower
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
When my cable went out I found myself digging out my old extended editions and having a grand old time! and after much discussion and having to push back our original costume plans my friend and I decided on Sam(her) and Frodo (me) as our duo cosplay for Megacon in Orlando :D woot woot.

It seems, however, much to my dismay that finding this (http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/tv/img/21897_Frodo%20Baggins.jpg) particular cream, slightly puffy sleeved shirt anywhere has become the bane of my existence!

I've checked every run of the mill costume shop I could think of, some reenactment shops and even pirate themed ones. I've checked the regular shops for some of the 'hippy' looking blouses floating around as of late but I cannot seem to find one.

The vest and 'shorts' I imagine will not be an issue. A cloak can be gotten around Halloween (it will not be crushed velvet don't worry..) as can the leaf clasp. Though I will seriously doubt I'd venture there for prosthetic ears , that seems like it would end badly :P I will likely end up getting those online and what not. So these items I am not in trouble with as of yet.

Just this god forsaken blousey (http://xanthelinnea.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/elijah_as_frodo.jpg) thing >:| my friend tells me to just get a regular button up shirt or a modern peasant blouse since the vest would cover most of it to begin with. Maybe I am being nit picky?

:sulk: I simply cannot seem to find this shirt anywhere, and if I find something even vaguely usable it's 100$ from a designer store or something. -sigh-

So, do any of you good fellows 'round these parts know a reasonable place to grab a similar shirt up? Or would I be able to try the ideas my friend offered? I suppose I could soak a white button up in tea or coffee to make it aged looking..?

I cannot sew so please no patterns ^__^'

This (http://www.theargonath.cc/characters/frodo/pictures/frodo77.jpg) seems to be what the top looks like without the vest, very similar to a girls peasant top I suppose?

It's amazing how difficult such a simple looking costume can get @_@

Berzerker_prime
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm afraid you're not going to be able to go out and just find the perfect shirt, when it comes to "period-type" clothing. You're either going to have to settle for something or make it yourself.

Found-item cosplay will only take you so far, you'll find. Eventually, if you want it to be perfect, you're going to have to spend the time to make it yourself and often spend the money to get the right materials. It's just a simple truth of the hobby.

Lithium Flower
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm afraid you're not going to be able to go out and just find the perfect shirt, when it comes to "period-type" clothing. You're either going to have to settle for something or make it yourself.

Found-item cosplay will only take you so far, you'll find. Eventually, if you want it to be perfect, you're going to have to spend the time to make it yourself and often spend the money to get the right materials. It's just a simple truth of the hobby.

I reckoned I'd have to buy the shirt from a reenactment kind of site or to settle with what I could get my hands on at the mall.

What I was more wondering if there where some shops you'd recommend over others, or ways others have er..'fudged' the look. If that made any sense at all. If I am going to spend 45$ on a top I'd rather get the most for my money? Maybe I am just babbling nonsense now @_@

Gee2
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I worked with a few differnt companies to create a "Faramir" costume a few year back. The leatherwork was done by me and the sword smithed by a company in Canada that does swords from the trilogy but slightly different to avoid legal issues. The boots, soft goods and bow/arrows all by other companies that are still around for anyone that's interested. I think the hardest part was the wig and trying to find one just right, in the end I was still not happy with it.

Suzie Blue
07-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Lithium- I know you said no patterns, but this one could be close enough:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2198-costumes.aspx

Or this one, which looks even better:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1806-costumes.aspx

If you could get someone to make it for you. : ) I have the pattern already, and would be more than willing to commission it for you, if I can find the right fabric.

Pixie- AHHHHHH I want them sooooo bad!! lol I've seen them go on eBay as the entire trilogy for dirt cheap.

Lithium Flower
07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
@ Suzie Blue- I would have loved to get it commissioned (your etsy is super cute) but I probably couldn't afford it T__T'

If it comes down to it I could try to pull out my real old and real tiny table top machine I don't even know how to use and try to wing it..

Suzie Blue
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Lithium- Thank you so much!! : ) I doubt I would have to charge more than $45 for it, but I will look into it and let you know.

Lithium Flower
07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Suzie Blue-That's just about the same price as reenactment stores are asking (i was expecting it to be more frankly) :3 lemme know whatca come up with.

For now I'll dig around and see what I can find guys, thanks.

Pixie of Death
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Gee2 - Nice work! You did an especially nice job with the leather work. :) Out of curiosity, who did the sword and boots? Those are two of my greater concerns, at the moment...

Suzie Blue - We got ours on Amazon. They weren't particularly cheap, but they did include all of the slipcovers (and everything else; there is literally nothing missing but the shrink wrap) and they're in fantastic condition, so we're happy. :)

Lithium Flower - Good luck with your shirt! I know how you feel. It seems like it's always the things that look the simplest that wind up being the biggest pain in the butt. Hopefully, Suzie can take care of you! :) But I do encourage you to get that little sewing machine out sometime and give it a whirl. Sewing is something a lot of people are afraid to try, but once you do, you'll discover that it's really not that hard. And there are a lot of great books that can help you get started and serve as a reference later on. My favorite is this one (http://www.amazon.com/Simplicitys-Simply-Sewing-SIMPLICITYS-SIMPLY/dp/B002E9Q10I/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278598434&sr=1-10) by Simplicity. The hardest part of learning to sew, in my experience at least, is learning to let go of your fear of messing up. Almost any mistake you make can be fixed. And if it can't be fixed, it can be dealt with. And even if the garment you've sewn isn't perfect, if you have a slightly crooked seam or a not-quite-straight hem or one sleeve a little longer than the other, you have the incredible satisfaction of knowing that you're wearing a slightly imperfect garment that you made yourself. There's just no other feeling in the world quite like it.

Suzie Blue
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Gee2- Oh, wow! That's amazing!!

Pixie- I can't wait to get them!! I'm seriously pumped. lol

I reeeally want to make a Hobbit outfit to prance around in. I have a few fabrics that will work really well for the skirts and apron. I don't know exactly what it is about Hobbits, but I love them!! haha And I have the big feet for them too, just not the hairy part. lol

Gee2
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Gee2 - Nice work! You did an especially nice job with the leather work. :) Out of curiosity, who did the sword and boots? Those are two of my greater concerns, at the moment...

Thanks! The sword was by Darksword Armory (http://www.darksword-armory.com/) Really great folks to work with and very professional. I did have to change the leather on the hilt and scabbard due to licensing, they had to make it with black instead of the forest green.
The boots are from CABoots (http://www.caboots.com/) out of El Paso, again another great dealer and I was able to walk in to the shop and pick them up so I got a substantial discount.
As a side note, when I was putting this costume together I was put in touch with an actual armorer and brokered a deal for a full suit of Gondorian armor sans helmet. It took almost two years to get everything and was a bit costly, but a great piece of work in the end.

Berzerker_prime
07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Those Darksword pieces are cool and all, but pricey as all get-out for something that you're likely to have to keep peace-bound when you wear it with the costume. They say they are battle-ready (and paying for that is what's likely contributing to the high price-point) and as far as I can tell they are. But they also say that they offer them to the SCA and... er... I know for a fact that there is no way you are going to be allowed to use most of those pieces at an SCA practice (armored combat is done with rattan for safety reasons. The rapiers might pass, though, depending on kingdom standards. But I digress).

Normally, I tell people to be prepared to spend money on their costumes. But this is an exception. There's just not much reason that a costumer is going to need a sword that can actually be used as a weapon. In fact, many conventions have rules against real-weapon-props of any kind. You might find that you spend all that money on something that the convention staff or security will make you leave up in your hotel room, anyway.

A good way to make prop swords, that costs substantially less than buying a practice-ready reproduction, is the following.

Make a base out of a small piece of wood. My choice would be balsa simply because it's easy to work with without power tools and light. Make your a frame that is roughly the shape of a sword with a "blade" whose width is about the width of the blade from edge to edge. Let any gluing you do dry over night.

Then, you get a package or two of paper clay. This is a very easy to work with air drying clay that is both light and robust (I dropped a bird-beaked mask I made out of it on the tip of the beak once and it showed no damage whatsoever). Sculpt the shape of the blade and hilt over your frame. Do not worry over much about getting it super-smooth while the clay is still wet.

Let the clay dry and harden for several days. Periodically, check it for larger cracks and do any patch work that is needed. Paper clay does shrink just a little as it dries, so these cracks will show up. Again, don't worry over much about getting it perfectly smooth.

Once your clay has thoroughly dried, break out the sand paper. That's right, you can sand paper clay. This is how you get the piece to a nice, smooth finish. for getting something to look like metal, I recommend several passes using finer and finer grade sand paper, down to the finest grain you can find. Between passes, you can also take a wet paper towel to the surface of the clay to smooth things even further. But if you do this, make sure you wait until the clay has dried again before going at it with the sandpaper again. I also recommend doing a pass with a wet paper towel after your final sanding pass. Be sure to let it dry.

Seal the clay. A spray sealant works well for this. I recommend a mat finish for this step since paint will stick to it a little better.

Now paint the piece to your desired look. There are a lot of tutorials out there for weathering and texturing and whatnot, so I won't go into those here.

Seal it again. You can use a spray sealant for this step, too, but be more mindful of the finish here since it will be visible. Use mat for anything that needs to look dull and gloss for anything that needs to look shiny and be sure to carefully mask off what needs masking. Do not use only tape for masking as that is likely to pull off your paint when you remove it. Use paper and secure it by putting tape only on the paper itself.

You can do any other finishing work after that. For example, you might do some wrap work on the hilt or some decorative jewels or whatnot.

There a lot of advantages to this method. First, it comes out to around $50 for supplies at the most. The clay itself is around $10 a package and the rest will depend on what sort of wood you want to use as a base and what you get for paint, sealant, and finishing supplies. Second, you do not have to conform to an existing prop that someone else is willing to make for you. You can make any weapon you see in any shape or size that is appropriate to your costume. This is especially helpful for LotR costumers as the reproduction pieces are getting harder and harder to find and more and more expensive. If you want to cosplay Gil-galad, for example, good luck finding an affordable Aeglos.

This method can also be used for creating armor, if adapted correctly. But be aware that if a paper clay piece is going to be warn, the sealing stage becomes super-critical as paper clay is susceptible to moisture such as sweat or breath condensation.

Pixie of Death
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Gee2 - Thanks for the links! Those are some beautiful swords and some great boots. A bit out of my price range, but nice to look at anyway. :)

Berzerker_prime - I'm working on Elrond's armor at the moment, and as much as I'd love to have an actual reproduction of Hadhafang for photos and such, realistically, I think it's smarter to concentrate on making a prop that I know I can carry at cons. I've been studying prop sword tutorials looking for method that might work, and I think this is it! THANK YOU! :toothy:

Pixie of Death
07-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh, and also, I meant to mention, in case anyone is working on or considering a generic Elf costume... I've just listed a customizable mallorn leaf necklace (http://www.etsy.com/listing/51185909/customizable-mallorn-leaf-necklace) in my Etsy shop that I think would make a great accessory. :)

Berzerker_prime
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Berzerker_prime - I'm working on Elrond's armor at the moment, and as much as I'd love to have an actual reproduction of Hadhafang for photos and such, realistically, I think it's smarter to concentrate on making a prop that I know I can carry at cons. I've been studying prop sword tutorials looking for method that might work, and I think this is it! THANK YOU! :toothy:

Glad I could help! Happy sculpting! :angel:

Pixie of Death
07-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks! :toothy: Oh, and I meant to ask, what do you recommend for cutting and gluing the balsa? I'm guessing maybe just a utility knife and wood glue...?

Berzerker_prime
07-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that should do you just fine. Since Hadhafang has a bit of curve to its blade, you might need to make some relief cuts along the curved edge, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Garuda_Aiacos
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
What I did when I last attempted to do my Haldir Sword is to print out a "Life-Size" picture of its Design Sketch. ;) I think I "sliced" the sketch into 3 parts and printed out my Template on 3 A4 Size paper lengthwise. After several layers of Scotch Tapes to make it Waterproof, I trace it out onto the Cardboard. :P

Man, if only I can find a LONGER and wider Balsam Plank or even any kind of Light-Wood, I will love to do the base of this sword I need for my Cosplay this November. =_= And of course, my Haldir Sword Ver 2.0

Pixie of Death
07-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Berzerker - Thanks again!

Garuda_Aiacos - Good idea! I was thinking of doing that since I would not want to trust my questionable drawing skills. :p

Would it be possible to just glue the balsa planks together along the edge? I'm not sure how well that would hold on it's own, but if you're just using the wood as a base and covering it with something else, I think it would work...

Sawyer
07-20-2010, 04:45 AM
At the moment I am preparing my second Lord of the Rings costume. First I made Sam Gamgee and now I am working on Celeborn, cause I promised our Galadriel to cosplay him. I think Lord of the Rings Characters are very amaziong to cosplay, you need the perfect location for photos only :)

Pixie of Death
07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Sawyer - That's so cool! Poor Celeborn gets no love. And he has a pretty cool costume. :) Oh, and you are so right about the locations for photos. My partner and I have already been scouting. :p We're lucky enough to have a lot of parks and things around. And there are a couple places we recently visited that have gorgeous waterfalls, so those are a must. XD One of them is this little spot back in the woods on the side of a mountain, so it's a bit of a hike to get to, which will be interesting in costume, but totally worth it, I think. It's just so very... Elf-ly. :p

No major news on the costume front here. I'm working on a commission at the moment that's kind of a rush job, so everything else is taking a bit of a backseat, for now. I did pick up the blue dye for my shirt last night, though. Just need to do a test and make sure the color's going to work since they didn't have the one I was actually looking for. Going to try to do that today amidst commission stuff. :)

Berzerker_prime
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh, location shooting! I don't get to do enough of it.

Anyone in southern Wisconsin should head to Gov. Dodge State Park and hike down into the Stephen's Falls section of the park. Gorgeous waterfall leading into a pretty brook in the middle of a cliff-lined valley... totally reminds me of Rivendell.

Pixie of Death
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Berzerker - That sounds lovely! :)

I forgot to mention, we have not one, but two... things (I think they're housing developments/gated community type things) by the name of Rivendell. One of which has this great sort of retro-tastic sign by the road. Shall make for an amusing photo-op. XD

Berzerker_prime
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, there's a Rivendell Co-op here, too. It's right down the road from the Lothlorien Co-op. When I was in college, I had some friends living in both.

^_^

neytiri
07-29-2010, 12:07 AM
I am a huge huge huge Lord of the Rings Fan. I am what you call a Ringer! I want to have a Lord of the Rings themed wedding when I get married. I want a Minis Tirith cake! I want to go to New Zeland for my honeymoon. If you are a Ringer please add me!! I love LOTR cosplay but I can't sew for crap. I either buy costumes or pic characters that are easy to create a costume for. Here is some pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/lothlorienwoods/n626875359_3305353_4579.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/lothlorienwoods/testofgaladriel-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/lothlorienwoods/7527_276013930359_626875359_8990368.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/lothlorienwoods/hotarwen-1.jpg

Suzie Blue
08-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Just had another LotR marathon! lol I STILL need to get the platinum editions. I'd like to be able to get them on Blu Ray. : )

So, is anyone else with me on dressing up for the premiere of "The Hobbit"? I know it's still a while away, but I plan on putting together a female Hobbit outfit to wear! : ) Of course you could dress as whichever character you like, I just think having a bunch of Hobbits running around would be so cute!! lol Right now I'm working on gathering pictures of female hobbits, but they're rather hard to find. : /

Have any of you guys/gals here used this pattern?
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4486-products-5567.php?page_id=916

I'm really only concerned about the sleeves- I need to know if they would work well for Frodo's Fellowship shirt! : )

Garuda_Aiacos
08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
neytiri, can you use Photobucket's Thumbnail instead when posting your photos? ;) Better for those using smaller screen or on slower internet speed. ;)

So, is anyone else with me on dressing up for the premiere of "The Hobbit"?

I will tho' have no idea what I'll be wearing; haven't gotten any new LOTR Costume completed lately tho' got a couple WIP/Half-Way-Done for years now. :o

And I'm more an Elf person so I'll probably wear one of my Elven Costumes, maybe I'll had done my Haldir Galadhrim by then :eeek: or even Idrial "Default" Outfit.

Apart from that, hope I can assemble my friends and fellow LOTR/Tolkiens Fans again for the Movie release like I did back in 2003. :razz:
http://darth-eagle.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d203j2q

Suzie Blue
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Garuda- Wow, what a big group!! That looks like soo much fun!!! I loooove Haldir. He's pretty O.O lol I love the Elves too, I'll either be a Hobbit or an Elf. : ) But I'm kinda too short to be an Elf. XDD I'm not short, I'm Hobbit-Size!!

Nia_Nageraboshi
08-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Well.. almost two months since I started my "mirkwood elven maiden" gown, but, since I cant find the velvet I want for the jumper dress.. I put it apart until finding the velvet....

but now, I`m working in Eowyn´s shieldmaiden dress !! yeah, I`m not blonde, but.. who cares !! I´ll be the first LOTR costumer in Monterrey-Mexico!!

Star Wars have a really large amount of costumers living there (me included), even Twilight and Harry Potter has their cosplay groups... it´s time for a Lord of the Rings costume there !!

I already have all the materials (but I will buy more white cord, the 10 meters I bought for the arm braid wrapers is not enougth) but, the awesome part of this dress is that it seems simple, but it already had cost me over 500 mexican pesos !! jaja, but it really worth it...

I will all so do, the starry mantle and two banners, one of Rohan and other of elves

Garuda_Aiacos
08-29-2010, 11:30 AM
but now, I`m working in Eowyn´s shieldmaiden dress !! yeah, I`m not blonde, but.. who cares !! I´ll be the first LOTR costumer in Monterrey-Mexico!!

Heehee...use a Wig lah. ;)

Nia_Nageraboshi
08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Heehee...use a Wig lah. ;)

XDD maybe, but first I need to finish the dress to make sure I will have the enough money for it

EDIT:

I have finished my vest and corset for Eowyn Shieldmaiden Dress

the corset its fake, it´s not boned, its just a rigid kind of fabric I found and since it was already with the pattern for the quilting I use it like a base for my corset, I quilted over the fabric marks and then lined it. it has three layers of fabric.
for the vest I use the same fabric I use for the corset.

The patterns I use for all this was of my own creation (I didn´t use commercial patterns or anything like that, in fact, I don't know anything about sewing or fashion design.. its in my blood someone say)

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2710487/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2710489/

McWhiskey
11-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Well, I'm embarking on my first cosplay endeavour. It's going to be a OC based off the designs from the movies/battle for middle earth video games I think.

Well, the FoTR premiered when i was 11 i think, and prior to it I picked up the book to see what it was all about so I got into it through the movies and the books at the same time. I started cosplaying yesterday when I started the project :)

I love them personally, they're a great cinematic experience, but at the same time I get more enjoyment out the books. That's where you get the full, engrossing experience that is Lord of The Rings

Well, my idea right now is an Uruk-Hai Commander/General. I'm using the base design from the movies but brainstorming additions to represent the rank of a commanding Uruk. I picked Uruk-Hai because I'm a pretty big guy and I thought my stature would lend to the intimidating nature of the Uruks. Besides, Hobbits are 3'6. not 6'3 :)

Suzie Blue
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi, everyone! Just thought I'd do a little CPR on this thread, seeing as it's been sort of dead for a while now. Recently, I "swindled" my Chemistry teacher into letting me borrow her copies of the Extended Edition LotR DVDs, and have spent the last few nights pouring over FotR. I'm super excited to see TTT! :)

I also started my annual reading of The Hobbit and LotR for 2011. I always enjoy reading the books, no matter how many times I've read them! You get something new every time! I still need to read The Silmarillion, though it's a little difficult to work through the beginning....lol

Recently, I was commissioned to knit my 2nd Pippin scarf, which I enjoyed. What made it even better was the email I got back from the lady who bough it:
"I had ordered the scarf for my younger brother. The day it arrived he had to go to the hospital for to do a check up for his type 1 diabetes, and they had to run a lot of blood tests. They couldn't find his veins in his arms so he got jabbed a bunch of times for nothing and they ended up taking the blood out of his hand which is very painful! Consequently he was all upset, feeling miserable and his blood sugar was really low since he wasn't aloud to eat anything for the blood tests. When we got home we saw the scarf had arrived and it honestly made his whole day turn around! It had perfect timing and was everything he hoped it would be. So thank YOU for making such an amazing scarf for us and for cheering my brother up when nothing else did! <3"
I was seriously crying after reading it! I was so touched to know that something I made had this affect of someone, and that he loved it so much! She also said that he ran around wearing it and shouting "WHAT ABOUT SECOND BREAKFAST?" all day. ^.^ So cute!

I'm also super-stoked to find out that production on The Hobbit has finally begun! I can't wait for the film to be released, though we've got a while to wait! I still plan on creating a hobbit costume to wear to the premiere. I have other costuming obligations to attend to currently, so afterwards maybe I'll find the time to work on it!

Enough of my blabbering! What has everyone else been up to since your last posts?

ten_again
03-07-2011, 02:37 AM
This has actually been quite a while ago, but here's a picture of my Gandalf:

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6586/gandalfw.jpg

Suzie Blue
03-07-2011, 08:23 PM
ten- nice Gandlaf! I've been wanting to make his hat FOREVER cause it's just so awesometastic. XD I plan to knit and felt the fabric myself, whenever I find the time.

I traded out FotR for TTT Extended Edition today, so I'm looking forward to watching that this week! yay!

ten_again
03-09-2011, 11:15 AM
ten- nice Gandlaf! I've been wanting to make his hat FOREVER cause it's just so awesometastic. XD I plan to knit and felt the fabric myself, whenever I find the time.

I traded out FotR for TTT Extended Edition today, so I'm looking forward to watching that this week! yay!

Thanks!

What I did for my hat was to simply take a Halloween type witches hat and put a cover over it from the same material as my overcloack.

Maybe something like that would work for you as well?

Suzie Blue
03-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I found this (http://www.sallypointer.com/gandalfhat.htm) tutorial a while back that I've thought about using. I plan to either knit the fabric, felt it, cut the pieces and assemble it according to that tutorial, or knit the hat in it's entirety and then felt it. I don't know yet. :)

ten_again
03-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Very good tutorial.

If you ask me, you are better off felting the material before you put the hat together.

Suzie Blue
03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
It depends on how you look at it. I think it could be easier to felt the material first, but I don't want to do so much more knitting and felting than I have to, as well as wasting a lot of fabric (what's left over after cutting the pieces). But, it could also be quite difficult to felt a 3-dimensional object. So I don't know yet! :)

Also, pre-orders for the Extended Editions of LOTR on Blu-Ray are going on now. Sadly, they are EXPENSIVE, though undoubtedly worth it. :)

Kookookachoo
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey ther! So (sadly) I was just introduced to Middle Earth this year but it's captured me in a way that not many things do. I suppose it's better late then never though ;) But anyway, I'm currently in the process of starting a Pippin cosplay (Gondorian Armour). He has to be one of my favorites. And if I can find some other LotR fans in my area, I'll definitely attend the Hobbit in costume. For now, I'm having a moving party for one of my friends in May which will be LotR themed. Trying to finish the costume by then though haha. Shoudn't be too hard. BUT! I've been looking for wigs online to get in the future, but I can't seem to find any nice, natural looking two-toned ones. Any suggestions? Are there any you guys have found to work out well or look nice and natural? Either way, the hobbit cosplays I've seen don't seem to be too strict on that so I'm not too worried. They're all adorable <3

So anyway, the series is absolutely incredible and it's so awesome everyone can share it like this and find fellow fans :)

dagmarus
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
You probably won't be able to find a really GOOD wig for too cheap, but there are ones you can get and just cut. I ended up doing that for Aragorn.

Kookookachoo
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not surprised
That sounds like a good idea though. I'll start looking into some longer ones!

KohakuWolf
04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Huh, it's odd that I've never noticed this thread before! D: It's great to see so many other people interested in cosplaying from Lord of the Rings, though! ^^

I myself have cosplayed Arwen. Here are some pictures! :)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/PigsCanTooFly07/arwen6-2.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/PigsCanTooFly07/arwen2.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/PigsCanTooFly07/estelio-2.jpg

Suzie Blue
04-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Kohaku- HOLY. SHITAKI MUSHROOMS! You ARE Liv Tyler!! Ohmigosh! I can't get over how perfect an Arwen you are!! I would love to see more Arwen costumes from you!!

Kookoo- Yay Pippin cosplays!! He's my favorite! If you're interested, I knit replicas of his scarf if you would like one for your costume!! Here (http://www.etsy.com/listing/69712961/the-scarf-of-peregrin-took-made-to-order)'s a link to my Etsy if you wanna take a look at it! ^.^

KohakuWolf
04-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Kohaku- HOLY. SHITAKI MUSHROOMS! You ARE Liv Tyler!! Ohmigosh! I can't get over how perfect an Arwen you are!! I would love to see more Arwen costumes from you!!

Awww, haha, thank you so much! ^///^ I would LOVE to do more Arwen costumes, but I don't trust myself with making most of her costumes since they are so intricate, and I lack the funds to commission them, lol. D: I'd love to do her blue dress and her coronation gown, though. I'll make them someday!

Kookookachoo
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
@KohakuWolf- Wow! I honestly thought you might have photoshoped her face on at first! You look so much like Liv Tyler!! And you cosplay is absolutely beautiful. Probably the best Arwen I'll see! :D

@Suzie- Same! The scarfs look great though! I'm doing his Gondorian armor but if I decide to do the fellowship outfit then I'll have to look into getting a scarf. I'll hold on to your etsy page for that occasion :)

Suzie Blue
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
kohaku- You're welcome!! Seriously, you could be her twin!!

Kookoo- Oh, I see! ^.^ I'll be glad to knit one for you if you ever need it!

ten_again
04-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Kohaku: OMG! You look great!
Are those lenses you are wearing? Your eyes look incredibly mesmerizing.

Kookookachoo: Wow, Pippin’s Gondorian armor seems like a very daunting exercise.
Are you going for the formal or the battle version of this costume?

Excellent handle by the way! I am sort of expecting you to cosplay the Wallrus next.

Suzie Blue: I’d love to see some of your LOTR costume stuff! I bet you would make a great Eowyn. :bigtu:

KohakuWolf
04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
@KohakuWolf- Wow! I honestly thought you might have photoshoped her face on at first! You look so much like Liv Tyler!! And you cosplay is absolutely beautiful. Probably the best Arwen I'll see! :D

Wow, thank you soooo much! *o* That means A LOT to me because I think that Liv Tyler is one of the most beautiful women on the planet!

Kohaku: OMG! You look great!
Are those lenses you are wearing? Your eyes look incredibly mesmerizing.

Thank you! Yes, they're contact lenses. ^^ They looked great in pictures but weren't very comfortable to wear, haha. xD

ten_again
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Thank you! Yes, they're contact lenses. ^^ They looked great in pictures but weren't very comfortable to wear, haha. xD

Well considering the result, I hope you thought it was worth the discomfort.

Truly enchanting. Gives the whole picture a very etherial look.

Suzie Blue
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Kohaku- I'm sure you could do more costumes if you tried!! Her "Dying" dress isn't too complicated... :)

Ten- Really?? Wow, thanks! I've always wanted to cosplay Eowyn. :) She's so cool. lol I love Arwen, too, I just don't think I could pull her off. As for my other LotR stuff, the Pippin scarf is really all I have so far!! haha

ten_again
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Ten- Really?? Wow, thanks! I've always wanted to cosplay Eowyn. :) She's so cool. lol

Really. I'm sure you would do quite well as Eowyn, well at least from the very few pictures of you that I have seen.

Any good at handling a sword, are you?

I love Arwen, too, I just don't think I could pull her off.

I'm sure you could. Just ask Kohaku where she got the lenses...

As for my other LotR stuff, the Pippin scarf is really all I have so far!! haha

Eh, right. This is how misunderstandings come into the world. I never wanted to suggest that you pose wearing just the Pippin scarf.

:o

KohakuWolf
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Well considering the result, I hope you thought it was worth the discomfort.

Truly enchanting. Gives the whole picture a very etherial look.

Thanks, I'm glad you think so! And I definitely feel like the discomfort was worth it! But still, the next time I cosplay Arwen, I will be using different contacts, lol.

Kohaku- I'm sure you could do more costumes if you tried!! Her "Dying" dress isn't too complicated... :)

Yeah, I think the dying gown is the most simplistic and I love the long red sleeves! I'm not very good at sewing though, and I make most of my costumes through different means, so I don't trust myself with the embroidery and whatnot..... Perhaps I'll try my hand at it someday, though.

Also, if you want to cosplay Arwen, I say go for it!! ;D

PsychoGit
04-23-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm actually working on a Legolas cosplay now! I'm so extremely excited, though this is gonna be my toughest costume yet!
Honestly, the movies. I don't care what other fans say, we're all nerds in the end. I'm no lesser of a fan because of where I started.
I loooooved the movies! I watched them over and over all the time. The acting, costumes, music, effects, all of it was fantastic! The books were fantastic, too ofc.
Elf, I resemble them the most. Tall, pale, blond, sharp features. I love how pretty everything about them is. I've never had more fun planning a costume in my life, than I am with Legolas.

Kookookachoo
04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Kookookachoo: Wow, Pippin’s Gondorian armor seems like a very daunting exercise.
Are you going for the formal or the battle version of this costume?

Excellent handle by the way! I am sort of expecting you to cosplay the Wallrus next.

late reply is late.
But yeah, I'm doing the battle armor. It's not too bad :) I have the cape and black tunic almost done. The only real tricky things at the moment seem to be the maille and leather arm bracers/sword holsters. But I'll just be doing chain sleeves out of PVC piping and attatching it so it wont be too complicated.
And lol, yes, that needs to happen now

PsychoGit: Legolas is such a win! Can't wait to see that :D

Suzie Blue
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
ten- ROFL I didn't think you meant that! *is cracking up* XD

kohaku- I was baffled when I discovered the paisley bands were hand-embroidered! While watching the documentaries on the Extended Ed. dvd I was like "WUT o.O" when they said that! Craaaaaaaazzyy stuff, man. lol I may cosplay Arwen one day, but I might have to wear heels! ^.^

KohakuWolf
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm actually working on a Legolas cosplay now! I'm so extremely excited, though this is gonna be my toughest costume yet!
Honestly, the movies. I don't care what other fans say, we're all nerds in the end. I'm no lesser of a fan because of where I started.
I loooooved the movies! I watched them over and over all the time. The acting, costumes, music, effects, all of it was fantastic! The books were fantastic, too ofc.
Elf, I resemble them the most. Tall, pale, blond, sharp features. I love how pretty everything about them is. I've never had more fun planning a costume in my life, than I am with Legolas.

Good luck on your Legolas cosplay! ^^ You're from Florida, right? (I think I've seen you in the MegaCon threads on here before XD) Whenever you're finished with it, I would love to get pictures with you as Legolas with myself as Arwen! :)

kohaku- I was baffled when I discovered the paisley bands were hand-embroidered! While watching the documentaries on the Extended Ed. dvd I was like "WUT o.O" when they said that! Craaaaaaaazzyy stuff, man. lol I may cosplay Arwen one day, but I might have to wear heels! ^.^

WOW I didn't even know that! o___o That is totally insane, lol! And I also wear high heels when I cosplay Arwen.... I'm only 5'4, and Liv Tyler is much taller, so I have no choice. xD

TR Rose
05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
A group of friends and I have recently decided that we want to do a LOTR group soon, maybe for next year! :) I want to make one of Arwen's dresses, I think the gray "chase dress" she wears when she's bringing Frodo to Rivendell. I've found several sites with detailed info about how the movie costumes were made, but they look really challening with the crazy amount of detail!

Lightane
05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I just want to say that I love you all. Someday I'll get the courage to tackle Eowyn's battle armor.....some day.....

WingsofValmar
05-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm currently working on Arwen's "blood red" dress and the mock up is going well so soon I'll be tackling this velvet. I read the books long before the movies and loved the movie adaptations. Eagerly awaiting the release of the hobbit movie. ;D

Suzie Blue
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
WingsofValmar- I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lightane- I hope you get to do it soon!

TR Rose- You would make a lovely Arwen. :3 I really like that dress too. I know what you mean about the detail! Even when you pick out a "simple" costume to make it still has tons of details!! o.O

I'm still planning on making a Hobbit costume to wear to the movie premiere. I'll probably use mostly stash fabric to use it up, as long as I have enough. I'm suuuper excited for the film!! Has anyone watched the first behind-the-scenes video that was posted a while back? It was great!

pyrodancer
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Gotta say LotR is pretty much my favorite movie of all time

I don't have any LotR cosplays in my list yet, cuz with my crap-tastic sewing skills, I won't do any of the characters justice. lol XP

BUT, when I went to Dcon last year, there was this little kid (probably bout 7 or 8yrs old) with curly brown hair who was dressed up as Frodo Baggins, and looked exactly like Frodo. It was amazingly awesome, and uber cute!!!!! ^^ ....of course, that would be the one time that I didn't have my camera on me XP

Suzie Blue
06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Getting ready to watch RotK and work on my third Pippin scarf! After this one I'm going to begin work on a more accurate colorway- the "right" yarn simply does not exist so I will be dyeing it myself. It will take a bit of work to get right, but hopefully it will not prove too difficult! :)

Annwyn
06-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm so glad to see so many LOTR cosplayers! I have been a fanatic most of my life. I was really excited when the movies came out.
I recently did Eowyn's green gown from the movies, but I made sure it was historically accurate so I can wear it to my medieval reenactment events. Prior to that, I had sewn a Galadriel gown before the movies came out, though it's long lost now. I should have more LOTR costumes!

Suzie Blue
06-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I want to see your Eowyn gown! I'm sure it looks great- all of your costumes are wonderful! :)

I'm now struggling to decide what I want to wear to The Hobbit premiere... I originally wanted to be a hobbit, but now I'm considering an Eowyn or Arwen costume. Hrm. So many choices!! All of the costumes are so lovely, it's very difficult to decide on one!

Creative Genius
06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I just finished making my Ringwraith cosplay! I cant wait to get some pictures of it. i have awesome platform boots on under the outfit that make me super tall, and very ring wraithy <3

I dont know how to make the gauntlets though..any ideas? I'm on a super low budget. >_<

Garuda_Aiacos
06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Use either Aluminium Sheet or Painted Hard Plastic Sheets to make the pieces on the Fingers and Hand. ;) Sew or Glue it piece by piece onto a Base Gloves.

Creative Genius
06-23-2011, 01:58 PM
cool! thanks!

how would I sew on plastic though?

an deiner Seite
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm really thinking about doing a Frodo cosplay.
Sure I'm female, but I'm like, 5'4". I'm tiny xD
Would I make a good Frodo?
http://www.facebook.com/loreenalovesyou

My hair is naturally a very dark brown, but I've been lightening it up so it's now a strawberry-blonde with faded hot pink at the front, lol

And how the eff would I do Hobbit feet?! I've got slightly big feet already, but I need hairy feet for a Hobbit. What would I wear on my feet? Flip flops with clear straps and spirit gum hair to the shoes and the top of my feet?

Suzie Blue
07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
an deiner Seite- I think you would be an adorable Frodo!! :) As for the feet (or anything else you'd like to know about LotR costumes) check out this site (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/). They have tons of information about the costumes and feet and whatnot. :)

Has anyone else been keeping up with The Hobbit production videos?? They're very entertaining and really nice to watch. I am SOOOSOSosososoSOSOsOOOsoosoSOoOSoso excited, as I'm sure you all are as well.

an deiner Seite
07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
an deiner Seite- I think you would be an adorable Frodo!! :) As for the feet (or anything else you'd like to know about LotR costumes) check out this site (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/). They have tons of information about the costumes and feet and whatnot. :)

Has anyone else been keeping up with The Hobbit production videos?? They're very entertaining and really nice to watch. I am SOOOSOSosososoSOSOsOOOsoosoSOoOSoso excited, as I'm sure you all are as well.

Awh thanks! <3 I bookmarked that site, it should come in handy!

OMG I LOVE the production videos! I nearly screamed when I saw Ian as Gandalf again. I jumped off my seat when I saw John Rhys-Davies come in to see the other dwarfs cuz Gimli is just love.
Any idea on who's playing Bilbo this time?

tegwas
07-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm currently knitting (with needles and twine, that knitting) some chainmail for my version of Pippin's Gondorian outfit. The original outfit was made in a day for the screening of RotK: EE when I realized I didn't have enough time to fix up my... it must be ten years old, my regular Pippin costume. Since then I've been redoing most of the Gondorian outfit properly. And adding a helm and a scabbard. I can't wait to debut it at DragonCon.

Satine
07-26-2011, 05:42 AM
cool! thanks!

how would I sew on plastic though?

Poking holes into the edges works :) But the best product to glue plastic to cloth is E6000 or Shoe Goo (same glue different names). Sand the back of the plastic with really coarse paper (60-80 grit) to help with the grip.

Dead_Eight
06-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought I would maybe try to revive this thread? I'd love a place to chat while working on my LotR cosplay and with the hobbit coming out maybe some new interest again?

Suzie Blue
06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Dead Eight- Good idea! I haven't been here in a while. What are you working on? I'm planning on putting together a female Hobbit outfit for the premiere (if I can find the time to make it). I have a lot of stashed fabrics I could use and a blouse that might spare me the trouble of making one. I'm also thinking of getting a curly wig that I will later use as part of my Merida (Brave) wig. I don't want to spend too much money on something that I will probably only wear once, so I'm trying to be frugal with it! ^.^

Garuda_Aiacos
06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Seriously I have no idea what to wear to The Hobbit Release here, especially these days we dun get Gala Premiere anymore in Singapore. :(
Maybe just finish my ALAN LEE Galadriel Outfit (need to do the Cape and get a new Wig) or finally complete my Hobbit Lass Outfit (only done the double skirts years ago but got the cloths for the Chemise & Bodice since ages ago). Or finally do another Arwen Dress, got a good amount of cloths at hand already for her Blood Red Dress.

Will see how as nearer the date as now "busy" doing my Saint Seiya (from 3 of the Series!) costumes till like early November @_@

Dead_Eight
06-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm working on a Witch-king of Angmar cosplay, which is my first time doing any sort of armor so that is coming along interestingly. I just got the fabric yesterday which is good. :D And I would be outside doing more spray paint coats, but it is raining, so that is on hold for today.

As far as the The Hobbit goes, I would really like to cosplay for the premiere but I don't know what I would do XD

lunasol
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Right now I'm planning an Eowyn/Dernhelm costume. This makes me sad; I started out planning to make a bow and watched the LotR Extended Editions' making-ofs because they always get me inspired, but instead I got inspired to do Dernhelm. Urgh. It'll be fun, though, her leather armor is amazing, and I've been reenacting that scene in my backyard since I was tiny. I've never worn a full mail shirt, though, that should be interesting.
The only other LotR costume I've made before is a sparkly blue silk thing that I called Varda's handmaiden's handmaiden.
And I think I'll just buy a long skirt and either cobble together a bodice or just find a white shirt with puffy sleeves and go as a hobbit girl for the Hobbit premier. Except I have a pixie cut, and no money for wigs. I'd like to dress up exactly like one of the dwarves but technically not crossplay, because I like the idea that one or more of the 13 were women and Bilbo just couldn't tell.

ioniafreak
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Hello all!

So i have decided to start working on a young Bilbo Baggins (The hobbit version) for the upcoming premiere and perhaps for New York comic con if i can get it ready in time. I know so far that i plan on getting the ears from aradani, and right now i may look into getting a wig. my hair as seen here http://www.cosplay.com/costume/418054/ is a dirty blonde color. I might be able to use my natural hair is i can curl/wave it a bit. But i am most likely getting a wig.
Soon i am going thrift store shopping and seeing what i can find for the actual costume.

Does anyone have any good sites that i can use for reference towards my costume?
Like for the hobbit feet. I was thinking of using hair trimmings (easy if i obtain a wig) and using spirit gum to apply? I don't know if there is a proper way to do that.

PeregrinTook310
07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I've made over 18 LotR costumes since 2002! Most can be viewed on my FB:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Ruins-Costumes/193671420680273?ref=hl

I'm currently remaking my bf's Legolas and making Arwen's Chase dress for myself. Progress of Legolas, with the lace front wig:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/483196_390507927663287_722559165_n.jpg

Both will be debuting at Dragon*Con! I'll also be hosting a LotR Costuming panel on Sunday of the con at 2:30pm, so drop on by if you're coming!

KratosAurion28
12-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Post can be deleted please.

Identity-Crisis
12-29-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been told I look on Pippin and he is sort of my favourite character so...
that's what I've been working on in terms of LotR costumes.
It's still not entirely accurate or how I'd like it, but I'm working on it as I go.
I plan on finally buying a pair of ears which is something I didn't have the last few times I've worn it.

Eventually I'd like to do his steward of Gondor outfit from RotK, but I have a long way to go until I try and tackle that.

Aurora Maryte
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh yay, this is revived!!!

First of all, to the guy who did the Witch King of Angmar costume I have gotta say, that is impressive. You now have me thinking of making Eowyn's 'Dernhelm' armor outfit just for the opportunity to get pictures with you. It looks SO good.

That said, I'm about to start Éowyn's green dress. I have a pattern, found perfect underskirt material...but making the gold medallion belt has me stumped.
I usually make metal-like props out of some gold sheet metal I have. Sheet metal is too flat though for this belt. I don't see how it could look even remotely decent.
I need it all done by Katsucon and even though I still have a month I'm starting to freak out now.
If anyone has tips for the belt- or can make me one, I don't mind commissioning it(it'll save me time and stress and I'm in law school I could use less stress)- please let me know.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!

kuro-nee
01-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I recently did a cosplay of Bofur but still, its incomplete. Beards are so irritating and difficult to make but oh so very awesome. (I'm in love with Thrain's beard decorations! <3<3<3)

So If anyone can help suggest on how I can make the beard and make it stay? I used eyelash glue to stick on my beard then but its not really that stable. =\

Garuda_Aiacos
01-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Cool! :D My friend also did Bofur last December for the movie release tho' it's still WIP. Hope I can help to increase the "population" of Movie Dwarves from the Company this December with my Kili (Ya, I can't really imagine myself with too much beard so going for the "easy" one. I prefer his Outfit better anyhow :P)

Anyhow, is Spirit Gum stronger than Eyelash Glue?
Maybe can try getting a small bottle and try it out. There are stronger ones out there for Professional Theatre or Movie-Filming uses but I can't remember its link as I got the infos back in 2003 when I asked at the LOTR_Costume Mailing List (I was afraid Spirit Gum is not strong enough to stick my Elven Ears down to my Ears back then as I can get pretty sweaty but Thank God it works tho' in 2004, I developed an Temporary Allergy to Spirit Gum! >_< )

Aurora Maryte
01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm basically 99% certain it is stronger than eyelash glue.
At the very least, we used some on my brother, and then I couldn't find the spirit gum remover for a little while and we couldn't get it off any other way that we tried.
I think a large enough amount of it should work for a beard, even a big fluffy beard. Doesn't hurt to get some and test it out to see if it works well at any rate.

PeregrinTook310
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Meant to post these earlier, but here are our Legolas and Arwen! Details about the costumes can be found on their costume pages!
http://photo.cosplay.com/45642/3321180.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/443638/

http://photo.cosplay.com/45642/3321184.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/443639/

hippiewriter
01-10-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm tired of wearing a cloak and elf ears whenever I want to do a LOTR cosplay, so I think I'll make a proper LOTR cosplay soon. I'm torn between Legolas's main outfit and Eowyn's shield maiden gown, though. I love some of Galadriel's and Arwen's costumes, too, but I'm limited to costumes that I can pull off without a wig.

What do you guys think? Should I do Eowyn or Legolas first?

Garuda_Aiacos
01-10-2013, 08:40 AM
What is your Budget and Level of Anality towards Accuracy? :P And how well can you Crossplay?

Personally, I feel Eowyn Shieldmaiden will be cheaper and faster to be settle as long as you are able to take certain substitutes to types of cloths used (as we know, there are patterns on the cloths used for Eowyn's Shieldmaiden Dress). There are lots of recommendations to how it can be done online, "tutorials" and stuffs.

But a Legolas Outfit will give a more "Wow!" factor if done properly and might have Fangirls glomping you at events ;)

Gee2
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Meant to post these earlier, but here are our Legolas and Arwen! Details about the costumes can be found on their costume pages!
http://photo.cosplay.com/45642/3321180.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/443638/

http://photo.cosplay.com/45642/3321184.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/443639/

Saw these posted at the RPF and they are just as awesome here, really well done!

Gee2
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Cool! :D My friend also did Bofur last December for the movie release tho' it's still WIP. Hope I can help to increase the "population" of Movie Dwarves from the Company this December with my Kili (Ya, I can't really imagine myself with too much beard so going for the "easy" one. I prefer his Outfit better anyhow :P)

Anyhow, is Spirit Gum stronger than Eyelash Glue?
Maybe can try getting a small bottle and try it out. There are stronger ones out there for Professional Theatre or Movie-Filming uses but I can't remember its link as I got the infos back in 2003 when I asked at the LOTR_Costume Mailing List (I was afraid Spirit Gum is not strong enough to stick my Elven Ears down to my Ears back then as I can get pretty sweaty but Thank God it works tho' in 2004, I developed an Temporary Allergy to Spirit Gum! >_< )

Spirit gum is great, but as Aurora said, you'll need remover, I use Graftobain and it is worth every penny. If you're unable to use spirit gum, try pros-aide or Ben Nye prosthetic adhesive. They're not quite as strong but are much more friendly to the skin.

Seifer-sama
01-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone. I am just kind of popping in and checking this forum out. I have been tossing around the idea of perhaps doing a Galadriel, but it won't be for a little while. Anyway,

@ PeregrinTook310: Wow those costumes are amazing! Great job on them!

@ hippiewriter: I think Eowyn would be a good one to do!!

Garuda_Aiacos
01-16-2013, 03:02 AM
I have been tossing around the idea of perhaps doing a Galadriel, but it won't be for a little while.

Which of her Outfit you got in mind? ;)

Seifer-sama
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
@ Garuda_Aiacos: I am thinking of doing the version from the Hobbit actually. My partner mentioned he might want to do Thorin. :)

Mae-Gwyn
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
1) I would like to cosplay certain costumes from the movies such as Eowyn's Funeral garb and Arwen's Hope dress. I am currently working on a couple of cosplays from the Silmarillion, where the designs are my own but the characters are of the Valar. I've got partway through Vana and Este and I shall be designing and creating Nessa soon. I would also like to make my own takes on what Arwen and Eowyn would wear. One costume that I would love to make is Galadriel from the london version of the musical.

2) I got into the fandom when I first saw the movies, about grade 8 I think. I fell in love with the costumes and always dreamed of making some! I started my first LOTR cosplay in the fall of 2012 to get ready for the Hobbit :D

3) I love the costumes in the movies!!! Totally great inspiration!! LOTR was actually the pushing driving for me to make costumes :)

4) I like most of the races but alas i am too tall to cosplay anything shorter than a human! So i'm stuck with just elves, maiar, valar and humans

If anyone is interested in seeing my Silmarillion costumes, please feel free the check out my profile!

Seifer-sama
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
@ Mae-Gwyn: Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!! :)

Garuda_Aiacos
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
I am thinking of doing the version from the Hobbit actually. My partner mentioned he might want to do Thorin. :)

Oooo.....the Dress Galadriel wore in An Expected Journey, the one being called "Water Dress"? ;)

I love that Gown too the moment it was released as it reminded me so much of the Saint Seiya Dress I had done recently (it's the amount of Chiffon the dress ate up and its collar ) but guess I shouldn't put it into my list this year yet as got 3 other costumes (Kili, Ringwraith & Rivendell Guard) from An Unexpected Journey to try to do by December this year :eeek:

And looking forward to your Partner's Thorin too. My friend from Malaysia had did it (she handmade each of the Mail on the Coat from Sculpey III :eek: ) and I was most impressed with the results. ;)

I am currently working on a couple of cosplays from the Silmarillion, where the designs are my own but the characters are of the Valar. I've got partway through Vana and Este and I shall be designing and creating Nessa soon.

That sounds cool! :D Quite rare to see people doing characters from the Silmarillion.
I myself thot of doing Mandos but not any time soon I guess until I improve my Makeup Skills so can look more appropriate like him.

One costume that I would love to make is Galadriel from the london version of the musical.

OMG! I LOVE that costume too tho' only seen it in pictures! But finding the Lace for the Dress is gonna be hard.

4) I like most of the races but alas i am too tall to cosplay anything shorter than a human! So i'm stuck with just elves, maiar, valar and humans

Well, I'm neither here nor there in term of height or body size but I just prefer to go "What the heck!" and do whichever costume or race I want from the series. Mostly into the Elves right now.

Seifer-sama
01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
@ Garuda_Aiacos: Yes, the water dress. I did do some research and found out that was it's name. It's fitting. :) But yes I too loved that gown. I am excited to have a nice flowy dress for once!! As for Thorin, I am excited about that too. I am not sure if he is going to make the mail by hand or not. We will see. I bet your friend's was very impressive though! I am such a fan of DIY stuff! I think there is so much love and uniqueness in costumes that are put together like that. And wow, you sure are setting a large goal for yourself. I really look forward to seeing what you come up with though!

kuro-nee
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
So, I might be attending a themed cosplay party by my friend and I decided to go as a female dwarf. I'm already making a Balin costume for Hobbit:DoS but I'm thinking of making Female Balin. Hopefully this will work! Possibly I'll put up a costume concept up soon!

Btw, how does one eat with a beard and not get it dirty? o.O

Seifer-sama
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
@ kuro-nee: That sounds like fun!! I can't wait to see the finished costume. As for the beard and eating question... I have no idea... I've never thought about it. ^^;

Identity-Crisis
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok, I have a question for anyone who's planning on cosplaying/has cosplayed Pippin.

What colour is regular travelling cloak?
I read somewhere that it's a rust brown so that's the colour mine is, but I've also seen pictures where it looks green or grey.

River Song
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Heh, I'm the opposite ;)
As a 5'5" female, I'm too short to play anything but a Hobbit or a Dwarf :D
Not that I mind, I"m planning three Dwarf and one Hobbit costumes for this year so...*yay* fun times ;)

kuro-nee
02-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Ok, I have a question for anyone who's planning on cosplaying/has cosplayed Pippin.

What colour is regular travelling cloak?
I read somewhere that it's a rust brown so that's the colour mine is, but I've also seen pictures where it looks green or grey.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/db635d653002b1486bab282aa8bc7973/tumblr_mhuy7m6Ixd1s3b3b3o1_500.jpg

Pipping has both his travelling coat and the fellowship cloak. The fellowship cloak is grey and his own travelling coat is green coloured.

Identity-Crisis
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/PFellowship.htm

Says brown so I went with brown..
Hm..

Garuda_Aiacos
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
It said "Rust hooded cloak closed with a metal clasp" which means Reddish-Brown for his Pre-Lothlorien Cloak.

Can see it in these Images :
http://www.theargonath.cc/pictures/fsmp/fsmp17.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/Timstuff_photos/apple_pippin.jpg
http://ssheltonimages.com/img/0c/0c8/Pippin_Second_breakfast.jpg

Grey Cloak is the Fellowship Cloak which he and rest gotten at Lothlorien.

Identity-Crisis
02-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Ok, I'm on the right track then.
I just wanted to double check.

Thanks (:

Garuda_Aiacos
02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
No problem :)

Ya, it's always a problem to decide which color to follow : IN the Movie Look from X Scene or Original Color. Thank God for the Fabric Swatch Cards (tho' I wish they labelled them properly to say which part of the costume it came from @_@ )
Even for some costumes, what is seen in the Movie and what visitors see at the Exhibition will turned out differently when seen under normal White Light. And I'm saying this from someone who get to see many of the Exhibition Costumes under normal White Light. ;)

Chryso
03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
My friends and I did a 19 person group mainly from Fellowship plus some from Towers. I decided to be the blue orc that wants to eat the hobbits in Towers.

I think you'd all enjoy our skits, we crossed LOTR with Moulin Rouge songs, and did four skits across the competition. My favourite was "Sparkling Weapons" http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=402845123067063 (you'll need to click on the HD symbol) followed by "Fellowship oh Fellowship" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMt-Ev4GtI#t=1m55s (don't miss the Peter Jackson cameo at the end)
Helping write lyrics and choreography for so many people was a blast, and the costumes were simply a joy to look at.

All of the skits and photos are listed here: http://os-cordis.deviantart.com/journal/Melbnova-2012-Win-ALL-the-things-NOW-WITH-SKITS-296568916

I personally loved the hobbits:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/138/2/3/i_think_they__re_lost____by_gone_wrong-d506zq6.jpg

EDIT: Regarding cloaks - we contacted the company that made the cloaks for the movies and commissioned them to replicate the grey cloaks from Lothlorien for all of our Fellowship members (plus some who just wanted one, like me ^_^), you can see in the picture above.

kuro-nee
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
@Chryso: That looks so fun! XD

I've recently did a cosplay of Balin but no photoshoot pictures of it yet sorry. But I find it to be quite unsatisfactory as my ears did not show to give him the right silhouette. Anybody knows where I can find good ears?

celticzombie
07-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Me and a friend of mine decided on a whim to throw together and make our own Original Wood Elves from The Hobbit/LOtR. Since we never see too many cosplays from the film or books, we weren't so sure on how many people we would get to noticed our costumes. In the end, we were very happy and shocked with the amount of stops we got from people at the cons. We also have bits and bobs to put together an Original Hobbit costume as well.

@kuro-nee
try this website. some of their items are also sold on Etsy. I'm really happy with the ears they supply from their.
http://www.aradanicostumes.com/

Eileen007
08-05-2013, 05:11 AM
I have watched this movie and seriously that was an amazing experience. I would love to watch it again and again. The script and action was really nice and full of entertainment.

Linwelos
09-30-2013, 12:55 PM
The dress i had made is based around arwen's blood red dress from the movies. I've never used it for a halloween costume since 2004.

2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it? I started Instant message role playing on aol when the movies were out. Have never done the live action stuff.

3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off? I loved the extended edition of the movies just because they added so much more than they could fit into the theatrical versions.

4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why? I generally lean towards elves. Mainly because i love listening to elvish being spoken lol. I've got a ringwraith/Witch king of angmar outfit that i wore to a horror/scifi convention here in the Charleston area for Shockacon. Sadly the robe i was having made for it wasn't fully finished so i got a 20 something odd robe that would work a sub til its ready. I'm hoping to unveil the new robe at Charcon in the middle of October :)

Pictures:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/larienseregon/Dress/image.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/larienseregon/Dress/angm.jpg

Veggiemuse
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Hello all!

I wasn't sure where to post this but my family cosplays LOTR with costumes I make for them. We just got back yesterday from an AMAZING time at the New York ComicCon...with three LOTR costumes. Balrog, Sauron and Gandalf. It was so awesome! Balrog won the cosplay contest category "most difficult" and was in the top three for crowd favorite!!

Anyway, I am wanting to offer my Balrog costume for sale and I wanted to see if you all had ideas on where I can post it. I have done Craig's List, Ebay and have posted it on Facebook...but I think it is going to be a true Tolkien fan to fall in love with it as we have.

Any thoughts or direction on where I should list it would be greatly appreciated!!
I have tried to include a picture but I am not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks!
Pam

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202250513768106&set=pcb.10202250536128665&type=1&theater

http://veggiemuseblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/epic-balrog-costume-for-sale.html

Linwelos
10-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Finally got my Nazgul robe from the seamstress who made it for me :)

Images for it can be seen here (http://s81.photobucket.com/user/larienseregon/library/nazgul%20costume)

the robe can also be doubled for the Witch King of Angmar with the helmet *which i have* i just didn't take it this evening for pictures where i didn't have my contacts in.

kuro-nee
11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
@celticzombie: Thanks for the link! They do not have the dwarf ears by the time the con arrived so I couldn't get it on time. Oh well. Obligatory shot below. ^^;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/vernien_xia/th_DSC_0054_zpsdc068037.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/vernien_xia/media/DSC_0054_zpsdc068037.jpg.html)

Anyone saw the new armour that will be used for BOFA? looks so awesome but the chainmail will be a horror to make!

dagmarus
11-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I love this too much NOT to share.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/AragronHobbiton_zpsd79ec80f.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/AragronHobbiton_zpsd79ec80f.jpg.html)

I'm ACTUALLY at Hobbiton here.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/AragornGreenDragon_zps15875d3a.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/AragornGreenDragon_zps15875d3a.jpg.html)

The only brew for the brave and true...comes from the Green Dragon!

kuro-nee
12-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Merry Christmas from Team Erebor Singapore! (We might not have snow but we have the cheer!)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/vernien_xia/tumblr_mx56a1LY5X1qhuiduo2_r1_500_zpseb025ab2.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/vernien_xia/media/tumblr_mx56a1LY5X1qhuiduo2_r1_500_zpseb025ab2.jpg. html)

And Dagmarus! I am so jealous of that! I want to go there too!

Mr.Irish
12-02-2013, 03:46 AM
I love this too much NOT to share.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/AragronHobbiton_zpsd79ec80f.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/AragronHobbiton_zpsd79ec80f.jpg.html)

I'm ACTUALLY at Hobbiton here.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/AragornGreenDragon_zps15875d3a.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/AragornGreenDragon_zps15875d3a.jpg.html)

The only brew for the brave and true...comes from the Green Dragon!

That's awesome lad. I always wanted to go there!

dagmarus
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
There are a bunch more on-location shots from NZ
HERE (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/library/NewZealandAragorn?sort=3&page=1) if anyone is interested.

Mangochutney
12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
That's fucking criminal, dagmarus. You look basically perfect and I'm jealous. Odd thing, though--just looking at the photos without looking at the title of the gallery, I thought you were Faramir. Something about the shape of your face, I think.

alpha_helix
12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34800000/hes-perfect-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-34876579-500-240.gif

because sometimes a gif can say more than words

belligerent
12-07-2013, 03:41 PM
The SO is a huge Tolkein fan so I offered to cosplay LOTR (uh i haven't seen the movies but i read the books forever ago). I'll post some WIP as I do it. Supposed to be debuting around September next year but I may have it done for fanime.

Lots of leatherwork!!!!!!

dagmarus
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
That's fucking criminal, dagmarus. You look basically perfect and I'm jealous. Odd thing, though--just looking at the photos without looking at the title of the gallery, I thought you were Faramir. Something about the shape of your face, I think.

Thank you! And, yeah, I've gotten that for YEARS. I have similar eyes to David Wenham, I'm told. I've always wanted to do a Faramir costume. It's on my to-do list!

RebelGrrl
12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I've been very tempted lately to attempt a Bilbo cosplay.

Where do you think would be a good place to start for a pattern for the coat?

ShiroInu
12-18-2013, 01:56 AM
I've settled on Thorin Oakenshield as my 'centrepiece' costume for next year. It's going to be a competition costume, so it's going to be a lot of work. I even intend to have his titular oak shield, made from real oak (or at least real wood, since oak trees are in short supply around here.)

It'll be a while before I can get started on this project, but I'm already on step one: research.

(Also, being a 4'11" dwarf myself, it'll be nice to finally cosplay a character that suits my height.)

belligerent
12-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Minor progress. I finished one of these things. Somehow I have not mauled myself with a stitching awl yet but I have to make the other one so there is plenty of time...
https://24.media.tumblr.com/b64702d82ca70d77fc647ca5fff4000d/tumblr_my1ahl37bP1r29pc0o1_500.jpg
Not 100% screen accurate but close enough that I'm happy with it. This is the first time I've really worked seriously with leather.

Reily96
12-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Wellp, after watching the latest Hobbit today, BAD THINGS HAPPENED. I mean, I've always wanted to do a LotR or Hobbit cosplay, but I could never quite figure out what I wanted to do exactly until today... which came in the form of Smaug himself. Lord help me, I can never want to do anything simple can I? Not that any of these costumes are really that simple but... STILL.

I'm having some trouble with my design though. I'm trying to settle for something in between human-like and dragon and struggling to do so. The design I have is basically a dragon in miniature, and that's really not what I'm trying to do... I don't want to make it look awkward that I'm essentially a bipedal mini dragon. UM, I'm not getting things across very well, am I?

UM, basically, does anyone have any ideas what I can do to make an anthropomorphized version of big bad Smaug? Again, I have a vague idea in my head as to what I'd like to do, but I'm not too confident about it.What would make a mini-human Smaug be recognizable as him; what dragon like qualities should be retained in this anthropomorphization of him, and so on? I'd like to hear what things people would like to see out of such a rendition of Smaug.

Chikkijet
12-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Wow, ambitious- but very very cool.

I guess if you're not planning on a head/mask then very very very good makeup.... obviously, lenses for the eyes, the eyebrow ridges, the scale colouring etc... I mean I really have no idea being a fair newbie to cosplaying myself, but I bet it's not something that many people would attempt, so..... go for it! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Now if only you could steal Benedict's voice lol.... hmmm.... would it be crazy to say incorporate some kind of recording/playback device to have his voice, and something to light up parts of the costume? I know it sounds tacky but if done in the right way it could add the right effect.

Reily96
12-27-2013, 09:01 PM
There's a reason I put my subtitle as Ambitious to a Fault. XD I just wasn't really inspired by most of the characters to do a cosplay till I saw Smaug in all of his dragony glory - well, that's a lie. I do love the Witch King of Angmar, but I doubt I'll ever be able to pull him off very well. But with Smaug, I have to admit, a certain scene towards the end of the movie made him seem too fab not to consider cosplaying. I've already decided that Smaug will definitely be the crowning glory of my cosplay career when I finish with him. XD

Yeah, I suck at makeup, so chances are I'll be doing so sort of headpiece - perhaps plague doctor inspired, or maybe a helm of some sort. Smaug being a dragon, I've been thinking it'd be appropriate to have some scale armor in his design, but I have no idea how to incorporate it properly to get the look I'm going for. I definitely want to see about contacts. Much as I hate contacts, I think I'd be hardpressed to do a cosplay of a dragon without dragon-like eyes. XD

Ah, but incorporating lighting! I didn't even think of that. If I do some scale armor around the chest, I might be able to incorporate some LEDs underneath that to give that glowing look he has as he preparing to let loose flame.

Chikkijet
12-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I meant. How he glows when he's getting ready to breathe fire. That could be cool. And a helmet could work too, as would scale armor. It'd definitely give the right look...

dagmarus
12-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Minor progress. I finished one of these things. Somehow I have not mauled myself with a stitching awl yet but I have to make the other one so there is plenty of time...
https://24.media.tumblr.com/b64702d82ca70d77fc647ca5fff4000d/tumblr_my1ahl37bP1r29pc0o1_500.jpg
Not 100% screen accurate but close enough that I'm happy with it. This is the first time I've really worked seriously with leather.

Is this for Aragorn or Boromir? Either way, looks awesome!

belligerent
12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
It'll be for Aragorn eventually (his ttt/helms deep stuff because that has chainmail and looks the coolest to me). Hopefully I can pull it off since he's the SO's favorite and it's a lot to live up to, lol... I want to do pretty much everything from scratch/by hand, but a lot of the stuff involves techniques I haven't done before.

This includes (aside from the vambraces which I already know I can do):
-making a pair of boots. I've been doing a lot of research on boot construction/lasting, etc. I know I could buy a pair but if I give somebody $500 to make me some boots, I have a pair of boots. If I spend $500 to learn how to make boots, I have a pair of boots and the knowledge to make more boots. Or the knowledge that I should have just bought the boots in the first place. But knowledge is priceless, either way.
-chainmail shirt. Chainmail is actually really easy/cheap to make, but time-consuming to weave. I figure I will probably try and finish the rest of the cosplay first and then use the rest of the time to work on the chainmail.
-prop weapons that will be durable enough to take apart and fly with. Not sure what materials I should be using although I have good reference and have the dimensions scaled to what should be more proportionate-looking to me since I'm only 5'6".

...then I have to figure out if I want to try to use my actual hair or try to find a wig, and a method for doing the most realistic facial hair since I can't grow it...

...and then I just have to not die walking around in that much leather... Although I've worn full biker gear all day at Otakon (chaps and everything), so I have some experience with that.

dagmarus
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Fortunately it's not that bad with that outfit. It's pretty much just the jerkin, which is more a suede, if I recall correctly. The boots for mine were made by the guy who made them for the movie and they're suede as well. The chainmail is the real killer there, though. Best of luck! Looking forward to your results!

belligerent
12-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I have a large amount of split cowhide/suede for the jerkin although it won't be the color it is now by the time I'm done with it.

I got an oil tan leather to do the boots since I didn't realize they're suede. The heeled, riding version of the boots look like a regular full-grain leather to me in the ref pics I've been using, but if the dude who made them originally used suede for yours, then that's probably what was used.

I think I'll still use what I have since it's probably more durable than split leather. I just have to figure out how I'm soling these things... Do yours have a welt? It doesn't look like there's one in the pics, but it's hard to tell.

And again, chainmail's easy, just time consuming. I'm using aluminum so that cuts down on the time considerably vs. steel, since I can bend it with my fingers.

dagmarus
12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah chainmail is just so damn tedious. I went with aluminum the second time around and it was still 15lbs. MUCH easier to work with, though. Tell you what I'll do. When I get home, I'll take some detailed pictures for you, to give you an idea on how he constructed them.

belligerent
12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Dude, that would be awesome! THANKS!! If we're ever at the same con, I will buy you a drink.

indiraptor
12-31-2013, 12:15 AM
I really love Lord of the Rings, and I've wanted to cosplay from it for quite a long time. Not only do I love the characters, but I love the challenge that the costumes will give me. The only problem is I can't decide on a character! I like so many of them, heck, I like them all.

ardhri
12-31-2013, 05:01 PM
I've been pondering making a generic Hobbit lass outfit for quite a while. It would be fantastic to have a comfy costume for cons! I was wandering around the ref site today and I may have finally gotten the bug. Next time I go fabric shopping I shall see what I can find!

dagmarus
01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Pictures of the details on the Aragorn boots. http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/library/aragorn%20boots

belligerent
01-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks!!! Like I said, if we are ever at the same con, I will buy you a drink (or multiple drinks, probably depends on how many I've had, myself, lol). But now I just have more questions, since some of the details aren't really covered by standard bootmaking techniques.

I also looked at all your other photos like a creeper to see if I could figure out the answers on my own, but I still have these questions:

-Lacing at the inner ankles: I'm assuming the boots are lined...so does the lacing go through the lining part of the leather, as well, and there's a gap in the boot where it's laced together? Or is it just gusseted, with the outer part split and the lining intact (this would be my guess)? These lacing holes don't look like they're reinforced by grommets or anything on the outside, so I am assuming they're also not reinforced from the inside...is that the case?

-IMG_20140102_091123_782_zps9f32f977.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140102_091123_782_zps9f32f977.jpg.html?sort= 3&o=6): I'm not totally sure of what I'm looking at here: is this the top of the boot unfolded? If so, does this lacing happen on the inner, outer, back, or front part of the boot?

Looking at yours vs. the ones on Alley Cat scratch's website, the details don't all totally match up, but this is a composite sketch I made guessing at how they look as a whole:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/0e5d5a84a435f9f76b52506f02273104/tumblr_myszkg0X7Y1r29pc0o1_500.jpg

How close is this to right? And are both sides essentially mirror images aside from the lacing?

LOL sorry for the boatload of questions....

-

dagmarus
01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
-Lacing at the inner ankles: I'm assuming the boots are lined...so does the lacing go through the lining part of the leather, as well, and there's a gap in the boot where it's laced together? Or is it just gusseted, with the outer part split and the lining intact (this would be my guess)? These lacing holes don't look like they're reinforced by grommets or anything on the outside, so I am assuming they're also not reinforced from the inside...is that the case?
Actually, the boots are lined with very soft leather inside. but the area with the lacing only has the leather to reinforce the holes. When they're laced properly, you don't really see through them (though, I usually wear black socks just in case.)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243201_368_zpscab48193.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243201_368_zpscab48193.jpg.html)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243128_469_zpsb589aab7.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243128_469_zpsb589aab7.jpg.html)

-IMG_20140102_091123_782_zps9f32f977.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140102_091123_782_zps9f32f977.jpg.html?sort= 3&o=6): I'm not totally sure of what I'm looking at here: is this the top of the boot unfolded? If so, does this lacing happen on the inner, outer, back, or front part of the boot? Yes, that is the unfolded top. The lacing on this boot happens in two places. 1. At the inside from about the middle of the foot up to just above the ankle. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243219_053_zps0a7b781c.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243219_053_zps0a7b781c.jpg.html)

And 2. up the back from where it folds over.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/dustagorn/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243242_858_zps4d3c6cac.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/media/aragorn%20boots/IMG_20140103_243242_858_zps4d3c6cac.jpg.html)

Looking at yours vs. the ones on Alley Cat scratch's website, the details don't all totally match up, but this is a composite sketch I made guessing at how they look as a whole:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/0e5d5a84a435f9f76b52506f02273104/tumblr_myszkg0X7Y1r29pc0o1_500.jpg

How close is this to right? And are both sides essentially mirror images aside from the lacing? That's pretty much dead on. Most of the lacing up the back is kinda hidden when it folds over and gets tied off. Any other questions feel free to ask!

belligerent
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
These pics are so helpful!! I will buy you AND your wife drinks (I need to go to DragonCon one of these days...).

The discrepencies I'm seeing between my sketch, the pic here (http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Aragorn/Strider/Boots/AraBoot0044_YukNM.jpg) and your boots are that the lacing is on the inside on your boots but it looks like it's on the outside on ACS.

Also the inside of that boot has the stitching, where it appears your boot doesn't. So, either they got the boots mixed up, these aren't the boots I'm looking for, or the bootmaker dude for whatever reason changed his design after he made the original ones.

LOL so some questions about where the hand stitching happens:

-If I divide the boot into three vertical sections (foot, upper, and foldover top), I'm still not sure on how many "panels" the middle section has. Here is another drawing of both sides of the boot.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/75051fd6043a11cdf497a5b84309b5cf/tumblr_myw2h6yaGQ1r29pc0o1_500.jpg

Is the middle section one continuous panel stitched only at the back, or is it like I've drawn here: the inside of the boot is clean, made of one panel of suede, and the outside is stitched, made up of two panels?

Also, is the stitching on both the inner and outer sides of the lowest section?

LOL sorry for all the extra questions. I want to make sure I do it right the first time, though.

Also I made one of the quilted vambraces last night:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/73f10c03212171b318d42e4e43254f09/tumblr_myv86lLlN11r29pc0o1_500.jpg

I'll change the lacing to what it's actually supposed to be, I just wanted to make sure it fit last night.

dagmarus
01-04-2014, 02:09 PM
It's possible that they put the boots on mannequin wrong, it's kinda hard to tell.

But if you look here:
http://www.council-of-elrond.com/castdb/aragorn/aragorn7.jpg

I can't see the lacing on the outside. But it's kinda hard to tell. Damn him for never having his boots focused on!

I'll have to check on the other stuff when I get home, get you some more pics, maybe some where it looks how it's supposed to when worn so it's a touch more obvious what we're looking at.

Glad to help. It's been a while since I really got to get in-depth with this costume in any way. You also reminded me that at some point I want to quilt the bracers and maybe fix mine up some. They've been through hell in the past 10 years.

belligerent
01-05-2014, 01:36 PM
The quilted one was actually pretty easy. The grommets aren't spaced evenly but that's because I didn't want to punch through the thread on the quliting...I doubt anybody will look that closely and I don't compete, so I doubt that will matter.

Basically I took 2 pieces of thin leather ("glazed pig split") in the shape I needed and attached muslin to the rough sides with quilting adhesive. Then I took a piece of quilt batting I had cut to the same shape and sandwiched this in between the two layers, also using quilting adhesive. I made the pattern for the quilting (1.5" squares rotated 45 degrees) and printed it out on tracing vellum. I taped the pattern to the leather with painter's tape.

Then I just used a sewing machine with a leather needle and stitching set to the longest stitch. After the quilting was done, I tore off the paper. Then I made binding out of a strip of the same leather, used some leather contact cement to attach it to the edge, then sewed it down. Then I punched holes and put grommets in it.

Whenever I do the stuff for the left arm, I'm going to try and take detailed photos, but we'll see if I manage to do that or not. I want to clean up my workspace first....

PeregrinTook310
01-15-2014, 11:07 AM
We ended up getting to go to NZ a week after Dag...lol we passed him in the night. (we've been friends for 10 years btw...holy crap IT HAS BEEN THAT LONG.)

We went to a bunch of filming locations, including Hobbiton, Mt. Doom, Emyn Muil, the Dimholt Rd., Rivendell and more!

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q75/s720x720/1528517_604602282920516_1575479303_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1513334_601765766537501_89514254_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/q71/s720x720/1484710_592126637501414_1320733400_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/q73/s720x720/1505048_601765826537495_848033624_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q74/s720x720/1469763_588044241242987_269361935_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s720x720/1512472_601765696537508_906699629_n.jpg

AnimeViolinist
01-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Those are some incredible shots, and the cosplays are amazing! What an amazing opportunity.

I'm hoping to start on my Tauriel soon- though the lack of consistent source material is a bit frustrating.

Aurora Maryte
01-18-2014, 10:56 PM
There are a bunch more on-location shots from NZ
HERE (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/dustagorn/library/NewZealandAragorn?sort=3&page=1) if anyone is interested.

This is amazing!! I hate you for being able to go there and see all this. But you look amazing and so does the location. So damn jealous.
You too PeregrinTook310. You people are so lucky. Wow.

Oh, and for some dumb reason I never followed up and posted a link to my finished Eowyn costume here, at least not that I can find. I complained about how to do the belt, and then didn't even follow up and post after everything was done. Not that anyone probably cares...but anyway, here's the costume: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.535366729820218.1073741825.451694478187444&type=3 I know I look nothing like her, but I was pretty proud of the dress itself, and the belt.

Oh and anyone going to Katsucon, let me know!! There's a huge group of us doing LOTR/The Hobbit, like 20 of us, and I'd love to add you to the Facebook group too if you're going to be at the convention.

belligerent
01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I'll be at katsu but there's no way I'd have everything done by then. I'm shooting for ycon since that's when the SO will have time to rework stuff (since I also don't want to debut this solo).

I might come and take photos, though, if I have nothing else going on!

For my own progress:

I bought some black nubuck, sight unseen, that I was hoping would be closer to original boot material. Upon receiving it, the nubuck is not quite as brushed as much as I was hoping. The difference between nubuck and suede is that nubuck is from the surface of the hide while suede is a "split" that's not taken from the surface. Usually nubuck is more brushed than what I received.

I may just go ahead and proceed with this stuff. First, however, I am going to make a mockup in muslin to make sure everything goes together correctly before I cut the leather.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether to have the roughout side facing outward or inward for the boot tops. I probably will have the boots down moreso than up. I think the leather I have is too thick to double it up for the tops. Neither of these things is an issue if I were actually using suede, so I still might do that...

dagmarus
01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
I would go out, to keep the rough look of the boots.

belligerent
01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
I think I might save the nubuck for something else and pick up some suede. I just talked to the dude at my Tandy and he has a lot of it right now, so I should be able to find exactly what I need (I would rather go in, but they take pretty good care of me when they send me pieces). Looking at how the boots are made and thinking about how I have to construct them, I think using the actual right material for the job will save me some headaches. And it's not like I won't use the other leather I bought, lol. The oil-tanned piece especially is some nice stuff, and I might use it for different boots.

I made a mockup yesterday in muslin and I need to redraw the pieces for the parts around the ankles to allow for more room. It will help me a bit that the one side is open with laces but I still need more room so I can actually get them on and off...

KittyPryde99
01-26-2014, 06:41 AM
I'm about to start a Merry and Pippin cosplay with a friend of mine, and then after that I'm hoping to do an Arwen cosplay, but I haven't decided which costume. Any Arwen cosplayers that could suggest a good costume to do? I'm looking for something that's not too difficult to make, but I guess I'm willing to try anything! I was thinking maybe the blood red gown she wears in return of the king. Any thoughts?

PeregrinTook310
01-26-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm about to start a Merry and Pippin cosplay with a friend of mine, and then after that I'm hoping to do an Arwen cosplay, but I haven't decided which costume. Any Arwen cosplayers that could suggest a good costume to do? I'm looking for something that's not too difficult to make, but I guess I'm willing to try anything! I was thinking maybe the blood red gown she wears in return of the king. Any thoughts?

It all depends on how difficult you want to go in construction. The blood red gown is relatively easy. The more difficult end of her outfit constructions would be something like the Chase dress, but that's not including the hours of embroidery and bead work that are on 90% of her gowns.

Alley Cat Scratch has been the constant amazing resource for all things LotR costuming: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen.htm

There are detailed patterning techniques still laid out there, despite some image links being long dead.

thislslove
02-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Hi, can any Tauriel cosplayers tell me how how difficult it is to put her outfit together? I've only been sewing for a few months and don't know if I can pull it off. Also where can I find good closeups or any tips? Thanks :D

Boreotheria
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Oh lovely. And scary. I'm inspired and intimidated at the same time. I'm trying to put together a genderbent Ori.