PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here likes classical music?

Koiji Shugotenshi
06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Huh... see topic :D

ryuichi fangirl
06-11-2003, 05:55 PM
I like it...I know a little of it by name an all..but mostly I just go by the sound...titles and composers aren't important...just the music itself ..lol

Koiji Shugotenshi
06-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Well when you think that without Johann Sebastian Bach the classical music wouldn't be that good, this name can be retained (retained... I hope that's the good word :p )

Well personaly I like any kind of instrumental music, and I don't like "beat"

ryuichi fangirl
06-11-2003, 06:02 PM
hmm...my fav music is rock ( mostly j rock)..but I luv to put on classical stuff when I am tired or when I read.....it's why I play'd violin lol ^^

Velvy
06-11-2003, 10:08 PM
I love classical; Mozart may be my favorite.
But I love Baroque more. Pachelbels Canon in D-minor by Bach is my favorite, Handel's Messiah is also good (so damn powerful). Classical/Baroque music is to me, just far more soothing than a lot of music sold as New Age.

jen_kat
06-11-2003, 10:09 PM
I like it. I usually listen to it when I want to relax or when I do my homework.

One of my favorite songs of all time is a classical music piece: Canon in D! There are other ones that I also like as much, but I can't recall what their names are, but I know them when I hear them. ^^;;

mochihead
06-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Well, considering that I'm a professional flutist. . . :) I guess you could say that I enjoy classical music. I'm more of a contemporary/modern, but I enjoy most eras of classical music (please, no Haydn though). I've especially been enjoying the soundtracks to the movies that they have been putting out recently. As far as composers go - Honegger, Shostakovich, Mahler & Hindemith are some of my fave for symphonic works. ACK! I think I better just stop here - I could go on and on an on. .

But, that's not to say that I ONLY listen to classical. I'll listen to pretty much anything - metal, rock, blues, punk. I just loves Tenacious D, Rockapella, No Doubt & Aerosmith!

archangeli
06-11-2003, 10:36 PM
It's all about Renaissance and Baroque music!!

Tallis, Byrd, Bach, Handel!

And god bless countertenors! There is no sound more divine in the world!

Tenshi
06-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Chopin, the "poet of the piano," is my personal fave. Most of his songs are so soothing to play. And when he has that rare violent piece, there's nothing more theraputic to play while in a bad mood XD.

Canon in D. . .::shudders:: I prepared that for Solo & Ensemble one year. It was the only time I ever planned to play piano competitively, so I hammered that song into my brain for nearly a year. And I never did make it to Solo & Ensemble ~~;;. So yeah. I can't listen to that song without thinking of my own experiences. That's also why I refuse to watch Eva: Death & Rebirth ^^;;.

mochihead
06-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Tenshi: I totally agree with you on Canon in D! It seems like everytime I get asked to play a wedding gig, that particular piece of music comes up. *bangs head on music stand* That and Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. *bangs head again* It's not that they're horrible pieces of music - just way overdone. Like Beethoven. :P

archangeli
06-12-2003, 01:56 AM
I completely agree with you, mochihead.
I feel the same towards Fauré's Cantique de Jean Racine and Handel's Messiah. They are great works, but totally overdone.

Chopin and Beethoven wrote some gorgeous piano repertoire, but I can only listen to it. I quit taking piano lessons 2 years ago after enduring it for over 12 years (I was 3 when I started) and it was such a liberating experience. I won't go near one - but it is still a pleasure to hear a good performance of a great work.

My preferences tend to lean towards choral/ vocal works. I love opera as well.

mochihead
06-12-2003, 03:46 AM
archangeli: Ok, you started me up again! And I hear you on Faure & Handel! ACK!

As far as choral/vocal/opera, some of my fave composers include Saint Saens, Rutter & Poulenc. (Yup. More 20th century stuff, but it's just so good!) I also still enjoy Brahm's Requiem and Tristan und Isolde. But not Carmina Burana. Ugh! Now there's an overdone to death piece.

Koiji Shugotenshi
06-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Well it is nice to see people that like classical music, most people I know say that it's "BOOOORING"... oh well, I, for myself, think that Pachelbel's Canon is not that good, it is too simple, or maybe am I just tired of hearing it all the time? Oh and Velvy: Mozart's my favorite too, since I heard his Requiem :D

True_Sanosuke
06-12-2003, 06:48 AM
I love listening to Mozart Betoven they are clasic marlves

BlueLady
06-12-2003, 11:30 AM
mmm Mozart.. one of my favorates. I like pretty much everything though, and its fun to see how many people sample off of classical music for their own peices.

mochihead
06-12-2003, 07:28 PM
BlueLady: I hear ya' on sampling! Of course, nowadays, EVERYTHING is sampled.

I still remember (way back when) a friend of mine telling me that I must listen to this great Billy Joel song (I think it was called This Night). Know what it was? Moonlight Sonata, but with mushy words. LOL And, of course, there's all the Bugs Bunny cartoons! "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!"

Cait
06-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Canon in D. . .::shudders:: I prepared that for Solo & Ensemble one year. It was the only time I ever planned to play piano competitively, so I hammered that song into my brain for nearly a year. And I never did make it to Solo & Ensemble ~~;;. So yeah. I can't listen to that song without thinking of my own experiences. That's also why I refuse to watch Eva: Death & Rebirth ^^;;.

I've never met a musician who liked that song. We all have our own unique reasons, too, don't we? I played 3rd violin for a banquet once with my high school ensamble. Never did get those wacky slurs quite right. Oh, and every cello in the world, I've noticed, cringes at the prospect. What is it Asuka says? "You only have to play arpegios!"

Jowy
06-12-2003, 10:12 PM
I love classical! And i love to play it! I play tuba and percussion at college and I play percussion with a Brooklyn community band.

Eclipse180
06-12-2003, 11:11 PM
I listen to classical music all the time^_^ Mostly violin and piano. Yo Yo Ma, Bond and Vanessa Mae are my favs.

Tenshi
06-12-2003, 11:29 PM
I love Carmina Burana. But I'm biased (we did a Carmina Burana show one year for marching band). Yeah, it's overdone, but I still like it for some odd reason. Although it's annoying that almost every hotel out here likes to use the most famous selection in their commercials.

And UGH! Moonlight Sonata! Another song I'm sick of. I was learning it as two other people I knew were ALSO learning it, for Solo & Ensemble. I'm so burnt out on it >.>.

mochihead
06-13-2003, 02:45 AM
Jowy: I bow down before you if you are a percussionist! I may be a musician, but those . . .ack! just way too much gross motor skills involved! And you play tuba, too? ROFL - sorry, flashback to playing Tubby the Tuba in band way back when.

Tenshi: oh, woe! Sorry to hear about Moonlight Sonata. LOL It's not quite as bad as Fur Elise, but it ranks up there as songs I don't really need to hear over and over again!

*wanders away* ok, I really need to get off this thread!

supesu otoko
06-13-2003, 06:28 AM
i have to say Chopin & Debussy are my two favorites.. although i dont listen to a whole lot of classical

i'm more into opera & just those old sweet melodies from the early 1900s. oh so romantic & innocent :)

MikigamiTokiya
06-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Hmmn I'm pretty big on classical... damn chorus rubbed off on me ><;; anyways my personal favs are Mozart, Tschaikovsky and Pachabell. yup good times w/ thoes ones. Once you've sung requiem you'll never forget it XD

istoria
06-13-2003, 08:38 AM
I was raised on classical music. I was always attached to the more famous composers like Bach, Beethoven (his sixth symphony is still my favorite), and Mozart.

Tschaikovsky's Firebird is one of my favorites and I finally got to see it performed lived by the NY Philharmonic at Lincoln Center. I also got to see Mahler's 6th (I believe) which is absolutely amazing. They literally brought out an anvil and just went to town on it.

Kurenai
06-13-2003, 04:27 PM
I love classical music....I've also been taking piano since I was 3 ^^ My favorite things to play are Romantic period and Neo-classical (not sure if this is the correct name, but the period with artists like Debussy)

I -love- Opera. I have a slight obsession with Arias...namely "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka, the Queen of the Night's Vengeance Aria from Die Zauberflote (so pretty and so angry! I love it!), "Habanera" from Carmen, and Schubert's "Die Forelle" to name a few. I <3 Renee Fleming.

Scortia
06-13-2003, 07:59 PM
I love classical music... but then, I'm a classical pianist. ;P Erm, one thing that peeves me is the description "Classical" though... somehow all "old" instrumental music gets defined as Classical when some is Baroque and some is Romantic... etc etc...

As for favorites... I love to listen to and perform Wagner, Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, and well... I don't like playing his music but Tchaikovsky. ;P

scandia
06-13-2003, 08:07 PM
I love Classical music. It is my favorite music style.

I guess my favorite styles of what is encompassed under Classical would probably later Baroque (which sounds more like Classical to me since it is crisp and clear) and some Romantic music.

Favorite pieces per period:

Baroque- Four Seasons by Vivaldi, Bach's creepy Toccatta and Fugue, Handel's fireworks and Hallelujah, Pachelbel's Canon.

Classical- most of Mozart's such as Alla Turca, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

Beethoven's 5th, 9th, Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise

Romantic- Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie, nearly everything by Tchaikovsky, Rossini's William Tell Overture and Barber of Seville, and Verdi's Triumphal March from Aida, as well as Liszt's infamous 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody.

Impressionist- Ravel's Bolero.

Hehe, I noticed that the composers with the most normal lives (as I learned in music appreciation class)- Haydn, Mendelssohn, and Brahms- are absent from my list. But I do like them and their music all right. I don't care for most impressionistic music such as Debussy's, but what's not to love about Ravel's Bolero.

Anyhow, I mainly listen to Classical music. I have always liked it since I was a little girl.

Koiji Shugotenshi
06-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Happy to see it is pretty popular around here ;)

archangeli
06-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Kurenai - I adore Dame Fleming. I think she is absolutely sublime! No one can sing Casta Diva (Bellini's Norma)like she can!

I also a sucker for virtuoso performances - any instrument.

Does anyone hear appreciate countertenors? Andreas Scholl is my favorite singer of the moment. No one can sing Handel's operas like he can.

Velvy
06-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Vivaldi's "Seasons"--I forgot to mention that, that's also one of my favorites.

cactusmomma
06-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Kurenai
the Queen of the Night's Vengeance Aria from Die Zauberflote (so pretty and so angry! I love it!)

'der holle racht' -is- indeed very excellent...

i also adore Gustav Holst's 'The Planets' suite..namely 'Uranus the Magician'..they all convey such moods..

as a musician...i love playing Faure's 'Pavane'...and absolutely abhor the song 'pomp and circumstance' --!

oh..and if anyone knows where i could find a recording of Norman Dello Joio's "To Saint Cecilia" PLEASE lemme know @@

Maryssa
06-28-2003, 11:48 PM
I am a big fan of Vivaldi =)

Arisa
06-30-2003, 06:30 PM
o_O I play violin, and I love Canon...

Viral Harvest
07-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Who DOESN'T like classical music? It'd be absurd to deny the roots of all music.

aachan
07-08-2003, 08:40 PM
I really love Mozart! I've been listen to him since I was about 9 years old. And its a nice relaxing break from all the anime and J-rock that I listen to.

Oooh, is anyone here a Verdi fan? I love the opera La Triviata, although I have to admit, Don Givoanni is my favorite opera. ^_^

Aa-Chan

archangeli
07-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Verdi is good. Puccini is better :D

j/j I love opera in all it's forms. Handel rocks my world :schitzo:

Neko_Kaolla
07-14-2003, 08:36 AM
I love it! Especially because I sing it too! But I have always liked it. My fav English singers are Charlotte Church and Josh Groban. I also go weak when I hear some beautiful peice by bach or someone. I love his Concerto in D minor... *swoons over sound of beautiful violins*

cactusmomma
08-04-2003, 06:36 AM
oh yeah! 'nother recommendation to listen to! Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" first through 3rd movements..also Vivaldi's "Seasons"

Alisa
08-04-2003, 07:52 AM
All I listen to is practically classical music, because my mom doesn't really let me listen to other stuff except for anime stuff anyway. I play mainly violin, so I really like the orchestral type songs. For piano I tend to favor playing music by Chopin. Lately, I really like the string quartets by Borodin, and practically anything by Schubert-his string quartet Death and the Maiden is awesome. It is a given though, that I have always liked Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Haydyn, Beethoven, and many others...though most of Beethoven and Mozarts songs are waaaaay to overplayed. I don't really favor Schumann (except I like his <i>Strange Lands and People</i> piano piece)...that guy was too insane for me(his music is overly simplified, but he tries to arrange them in a fashion that well I don't like too much.), and Brahms.

Skyline Kyo
08-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Variatons of Kanon by George Winston is one of the best. Vivaldi's four seasons are great (I love Winter the best)

RuthlessJS
08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Betthoven's 9th Symphony 4th Movement....which is also the battle music between Shinji and Kaoru for episode 24 of Evangelion ^_^

HarukaTenoh
08-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Definately. I couldn't name every song or piece that I hear, but I do listen to it.

Skyline Kyo
08-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Thats one thing I love about the Bemani series, sometimes they just take a classical song and add a beat to it and make it catchy all over again!
V was a remix of Winter (Pump It Up also had a great remix of it too)
A sounds original though...
and M (for DWI) was something, just always slips my mind

peaseblossom
08-08-2003, 07:27 AM
I am a fan of Liszt, myself.

Tainted Donut
08-10-2003, 03:45 AM
i dont, way tooo slow and light hearted, but there are some good things that i have in mind, the people that play classical music, are very talented, and the music is soothing, and relaxing, ill give it that, but it really isnt my choice of music, althgough i respect it more than other crappy music..cough cough pop punk..cough cou..ahhh forget it.

peaseblossom
08-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Tainted Donut: That was a very ignorant post. There are a plethora of differnt types of classical music. Dark, slow and somber; fast and energetic; soft and lilting...I don't see how you could lump classical music into one big " I don't like it" category.

Bezo
08-11-2003, 08:02 AM
I adore orchestral music of all periods. My favourite composers are Sergei Prokofiev and John Williams, two of the greatest film composers of all time.

And I am an orchestral composer, heavily influenced by those two, as well as Nobuo Uematsu. :D

EDIT: Tainted doughnut, you should listen to the Alexander Nevsky Cantata by Prokofiev or Movements 1, 9, 10, 11, 14, 18, 19, 22, 24 and 25 of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. Verdi's Requiem, particularily the Dies Irae. Beethoven's Egmont Overture. Almost anything by Wagner. Lt. Kije by Prokofiev. Of course, Mussorgsky's famous Night On Bald Mountain.

None of those are soothing, relaxing, slow or lighthearted. :P

Freya
08-16-2003, 01:10 PM
I adore all forms of Classical music...my favorite period being the romantic period. ^_^

I more so enjoy hearing it than playing it even though if I can play it right I get a certain amount of satisfaction, but sometimes when I play violin I feel I don't do the piece justice. -_-;

Like Mozart's Third Concerto in G Major...I played it for an orchestra audition and to this day I still think I screwed it up majorly. -_-;

hello kenney
08-16-2003, 05:42 PM
I work for the Los Angeles Philharmonic and get all the free tickets I can stand to the Hollywood Bowl and our other venues (Disney Hall opening soon)...

The problem is I generally cant stand classical :( that isnt a flame btw, I respect it, just dont really enjoy it. At least my friends get to go for free-

hyper o^.^o
08-16-2003, 09:02 PM
I play viola, and I generally like all kinds of music.
(I saw on the first page of this thread, I know, from months ago, someone else knows who Rockapella is! ^^)
Hm... as for favorite songs or composers, I'd have to say I like the violists... stuff by Dvorak, and we played the Moldau by Smetana last year in one of my orchestras, and I actually liked that piece. ^_^
I'm working on Brandenburg for two violas, and I got to play it with my lesson teacher the other day, which was a lot of fun. ^^
I've had to play Pachabel's canon over and over again for various school ceremonies, and that one gets kind of old after a while.

Artreus
08-16-2003, 09:16 PM
I like classical, I wouldnt be able to name any pieces though...

I have one bad experience with it, once, when I was 7 or so, I was taken to see the Nutcracker Balet, I was in the 3rd row or so, about 15 feet from the orchestra pit, and I fell asleep twice, then after the balet, my sister turned on the radio to classical music, I went insane and yelled at her to turn it off, I could only stand so much of that at a time..

now of course I appreciate it more