PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Griffindor Scarfs...

PikminLink
06-11-2003, 11:59 PM
how can i make one....i have no knitting skills...and i dont want to get the wrong type of fabric and sew one....i want it knitt....and i cant buy one because im low on money....that so sucks.....

if i do knitt it.....how long will it take...approx? ...also could there be another approach?

Moonie Padfoot
06-12-2003, 12:10 AM
oh wow. my mum made me one in the ravenclaw colors. she croched it. she got a free pattern... at walmart....? i live in iowa, so, ya' know, but maybe that helps? it took her about six hours to do. if i can find the patter, i could e-mail you or something.

PikminLink
06-12-2003, 12:12 AM
OMG!!...i made some changes and accidentally posted twice....um...how can i get rid of this one?....i posted this problem in the other one too...um ignor this one...*tries to figure out how to delete this thread*

Moonie Padfoot
06-12-2003, 12:21 AM
technical dificulties XD

PikminLink
06-12-2003, 12:24 AM
yes...i guess ill keep this thread...but i dont know how to get rid of the other one... ;_; ..eheh ......um

by the way...the pattern would be great...^^

Moonie Padfoot
06-12-2003, 12:27 AM
okay, I have to hunt it down... really I think it just tells you like how many rows and how many loops or something. I can't do anything related to knitting, though I can sew. If you know someone who can croche, I can help you, otherwise, I can give you the idea that my best friend based hers on. It turned out really nicely.

PikminLink
06-12-2003, 12:30 AM
ohh okay.....*still feels bad for having 2 threads* ......um sure...that could work....^^

Moonie Padfoot
06-12-2003, 12:34 AM
well, it all started when sparks and moonie found themselves standing in Joanns with a fifty dollar bill... ehehe...

we found this really, really soft woolen material in the two colors.we then cut it them about six inches each color, until we had enough of them to make a scarf about four feet long. I hemmed everything really carefully and slapped it to gether, then ironed it out so it didn't look like it had been sewed together. You'll have to look around for the fabric, it's kind of hard to find, but you'll know it when you find it by the texture.

Moonie Padfoot
06-12-2003, 12:58 AM
e-mail me sometime-it's in my profile- I've gotta get to bed, but I'm always here to help you out. look for me on cosplaylab.com too

PikminLink
06-12-2003, 01:11 AM
okay ^^ ....thanks^^

Garuda_Aiacos
06-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Try Knit fabrics if u are sewing it together. ;)

Other than that, I was at a local craft store and I saw this thinging from Japan. It's packed flat but opens up into a bottomless basket and what u do is wind the woolen/acrylic knitting threads (the instructions should be given) and after many hours, u get a whole tube of scarf.

Maryssa
06-12-2003, 12:32 PM
I would make it longer than 4 feet though... their scarves are pretty long. Mine is about 6 feet not including the tassels.

PikminLink
06-15-2003, 11:10 PM
how many tassels...and strips in the scarf? ....and if you know what are the measurements of the scarf?

Maryssa
06-16-2003, 11:32 AM
i'm not sure the exact number. if you have the 1st harry potter movie, there is a good shot of a scarf right after the sorting when they go up to their rooms and go to sleep (it's dark and it shows them in bed with their uniforms all set on chairs). You might want to take a look at that =)

L to the 3rd
06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
they sell harry potter merchandise,
including the scarves, in Japan..

There was a theater and they sold
the scarves.. it was really expensive
tho'..like $15 0- $250 ish(?).. but it
looked really nice with the authentic
isignia and stuff.

SailorMo
06-16-2003, 06:28 PM
If you definitely want one in the Gryffindor colors, both the Warner Bros shop and Alivans have them.. and cheap.

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/

or

http://www.alivans.com/

Maryssa
06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
wow $150 is a ripoff. my custom one only cost about $30. And they aren't supposed to have the house insignias on them (at least in the movie)

If you like, PM me and i can give you the email address of someone who makes custom scarves for a good price (mine looks just like the ones in the movie)

Garuda_Aiacos
06-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Yes, the Official ones sold in Japan are inaccurate in many ways. But what is bloody expansive to us is affordable for them. :\

PikminLink
06-17-2003, 02:10 PM
....thats alot of money for me^^;....anyway... Maryssa:
.ill take a look at what you said in the first movie.....

^^....

Rei2Rei
06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
My Mom bought me an official Slythern scarf off E-bay *points to photo gallery*

They were selling tons and tons of them for about $50.00. ;)

peihui
06-21-2003, 10:03 AM
i would like to ask how to make the collar for the sweater and what should i use for the colours on the collar of the sweater

Moogle Hiromi
06-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Peihui: Ohhh that is in the actually Harry Potter thread in this forum... it is talked about extensively there... good lucking finding it, because I don't remember which page!

I for some weird reason, don't see the scarves as important. Although they would be cool to have! XD I know for my Moaning Myrtle costume... it is absolutely unneccessary~! ^^ Heh.... But really... I wouldn't get too dirty if I couldn't get a good scarf.. no need to deem it important!

Garuda_Aiacos
06-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Moogle Hiromi
I for some weird reason, don't see the scarves as important. Although they would be cool to have! XD I know for my Moaning Myrtle costume... it is absolutely unneccessary~! ^^

IMHO, and for accuracy sake, we might also run the risk of what color to use for Myrtle cause all the female students back then wore the same uniform, thus same scarf color. :( And now someone told me that Myrtle is in Ravenclaw (she said J.K. Rowling said that in an interview). :eek:

Maryssa
06-21-2003, 12:54 PM
I also dont think a scarf is totally necessary unless it's the middle of winter. Do you really want to walk around, say, Otakon or San Diego Comic Con with a sweater, robe, and THEN a scarf in 100 degree heat? =p

Moogle Hiromi
06-22-2003, 05:47 AM
It all depends on when the next movie comes out I guess! ^^ It's winter here now! *brrrr* [Is currently sitting around in her Pita Ten PJ's]

I originally thought Myrtle was in Ravenclaw. I don't know why. Aren't Hufflepuffs rather... happy...?

I practically live in scarves in the winter. *teeheeheehee* So maybe, I could make a scarf anyway?

Garuda_Aiacos
06-22-2003, 08:54 AM
The latest book (from the Sorting Hat Song) said Ravenclaws are the studious and intelligent type which Hufflespuff where the rest who don't fit in the other 3 houses get "dumped". Personally, I feel like she belong to Hufflespuffs. :p

Well, about the movie release, I had heard many HP Fanatic swearing that it's coming out in June 2004 but the local Radio Show (which is not always correct) said Dec 2004.

Well, I not sure about the rest but usually after 2+ hours in the cinemas, I ended up frozen although Singapore is pretty hot these days.

PikminLink
06-23-2003, 01:26 AM
well a scarf is a good thing if you want to make the outfit complete....and i dont plan on always wearing it.....its just good to have....and .... it such a nice long scarf.....hehehe...wear it to school in the winter >_> ....hehehehe......its not important...yes...but i want it ^^

Moogle Hiromi
06-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Oh yes.. I think the scarf has 8 tassles... 4 of each colour alternating. I checked today. Not sure how many panels though... Although I would make 20 15 centimetre panels.. which would make the scarf 3 metres long.... ok... maybe 15 panels.... which would make it 2.5 metres... usually scarves are about 1.5m long plus tassles... your call.

I want to get out my needles and make a Slytherin scarf!

Garuda_Aiacos
06-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I remember it being mentioned at the HP Costumes ML that the SS got less tassles than CoS.

Moogle Hiromi
06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
SS..? Ohh Sorcourer's Stone![i can't speeel XD] I personally... would do CoS... I thought that scarf looked funny, because I was at a Philosopher's Stone picture... more tassles = fun. Believe me.. scarf tassles, are like my best friends in the winter! *goes crazy*

Do you remember how many tassles...? I would say about ten would look good! I can't find any CoS pics with scarves.... meh!

Moogle Hiromi
06-23-2003, 08:47 PM
I can't edit my post.. dang!

But I just found a site with scarves and such.. Good pictures!

http://atypically.net/hp/scarfpics.shtml

I would definately use this as a reference!

*thinks* How much is 71 inches....? *scratches head* [damn imperial measurements!]

Garuda_Aiacos
06-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Errr, 60" is about 1.5m I think (1' is about 30cm). So 71" is about 1.8m.

Heeheehee, because of all these imperial measurements I can't survive without my measuring tape and rulers when it comes to buying cloths and cutting them.

Moogle Hiromi
06-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Same here! I think I was having a bad math time.... ohh I feel dumb! hmmm I like the idea of nice long scaves!

PikminLink
06-25-2003, 10:21 PM
oohh thats quite helpfull.....yes more tassles the better^_^, but i dont want to put more than what they have in the movie.....

Moogle Hiromi
06-30-2003, 03:56 AM
I have a knitting pattern for a scarf, if anyone wants me to scan and poist it, I will. I will also tell how to alter it to make it better.

CapsuleCorp
06-30-2003, 08:00 PM
There are actually seven tassels, with red on the outside on both ends (for Gryffindor). The guy I know who knits scarves for all houses fairly cheap ($45?) did some anal measuring and came up with some interesting specs. There's 17 stripes in the scarf total, with red on the ends again, making it about 5 feet long or so. I used his specs and knitted my own, took about a month originally. And that's only using a beginner's how-to-knit pamphlet! :)