PDA

View Full Version : Xanadu?

lauralyn
02-26-2008, 12:09 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else loves (or even knows of) this movie? I really want to do a Xanadu costume but I'm worried that it's too obscure.

Hikaruchan
02-26-2008, 03:23 AM
I love the soundtrack to the Xanadu movie. Probably would not be recognized by most, but if you like it make it. Then if people ask you about it, you can promote the movie to people.

tfcreate
02-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Xanadu is probably one of the worst movies in the history of the art, but it has among the 10 best soundtracks ever. It's costuming is top notch, and the dance numbers are among the best. If you wish to cosplay, you have many to choose from, but probably one of the Muses would be your best choices, their costumes are beautiful, flowing and simple.
Have a look at the opening number.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGEiDN3GH-0
TFC

Drackt
02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I've been thinking of doing Kira's pink outfit from the musical, but so far, I haven't found anything suitable. :(

lauralyn
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Xanadu is probably one of the worst movies in the history of the art, but it has among the 10 best soundtracks ever. It's costuming is top notch, and the dance numbers are among the best. If you wish to cosplay, you have many to choose from, but probably one of the Muses would be your best choices, their costumes are beautiful, flowing and simple.
Have a look at the opening number.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGEiDN3GH-0
TFC

I think it's a horrible movie in a good way. I love the quote about it:
"arguably the best musical comedy ever made about supernatural love and roller-skating"
Thanks for your input!

Cora
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
*flails* so I saw this topic and had to run over here going OMG XANADU!

I haven't seen the movie in FOREVER...now I really want to watch it XD XD I LOVED it as a kid when my mom watched it with me.

Admittedly I'm not sure if I would recognize a costume from it right off the bat, having not seen it for a while (I'd probably wander around for several hours trying to place it XD; ) but totally rooting for you to do a Xanadu cosplay <3

gelflinggal
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
omg! have loved this since I was a wee babe!

hey it has Gene Kelly and some great numbers in it...who cares what those "film critics" think...

Kiichigo
06-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm 16 years old and I've been in love with the movie since I was .... seven or eight years old? When I was little I tied ribbons in my hair, put on white clothes and my inliners and pretended to be Kira - oh, thy young seed of cosplay, how I love you *w*

I don't know if I'll ever to a cosplay from the movie, but I would sure love to see some!

macbeemer
06-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I've got a Broadway Musical Kira costume listed on my "might possibly make this in the far future" list, but no immediate plans. It'd be a hard one to have recognized, but crazy fun to zoom around a con on roller skates. :D

BAMF
06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Obscure? Are you kidding me? That movie is a cult classic, it's like saying has anyone heard of Rocky Horror.

I'd love to see someone make costumes from that movie, they are so...70's!

ravenmist
06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I remember seeing a Xanadu cosplay once. Years ago. Don't believe I've seen one since. Skates are a dead give away. lol. And no, it wasn't Jet Set Radio or Air Gear. ;)
I love musicals cosplays.
The movie really was horrible, but it was also very good. Great soundtrack. I'd love to see it on stage one day.

Poody
07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
The Broadway show is amazing! I would die to see any cosplayers doing Kira!

sugar_bair
09-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I love that you asked this question as I have been wanting to do that costume for about a decade now. Yes, the movie sucked but I don't care as it transported me into a super happy place as a child & I just think that ONJ was a magical goddess on those roller skates with her off the shoulder dress & ribbon barrettes in her hair. I was thinking about doing it for DragonCon 2011 maybe. I say you should do it! Or maybe you have since this was posted forever ago! Anyway, I felt the same way about wondering if people would get it or not & most may not, but if somebody does recognize it it'll make their day!