PDA

View Full Version : I need help w/ Suu wings !

Skullez
06-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Im makeing a cosplay costume of Suu and other charters from Clover for the Clamp Con September 26 aand i really need help on her wings !
I have tryed to use coat hangers and the hosery trick but it does not look right .
So if any of yall can help me on what to do or if you have any ideas that would be great !!

i already made my dress ! =^.^= !! its so beautiful but i just need wings. Im trying to get everything in order for the con.

duck
06-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Wings like that will be painful to make with coat hangers.

If you need it quick, try using 14 or 16 gauge wire instead of coat hangers and use very sheer stockings. It won't be perfect, but you should be able to approximate it well enough and the wire will give you a much better wireframe than coat hangers will..

It also depends on how small you want the wings to be...

http://www.poro-poro.com/info/PoroMAY01.jpg

Refering to this picture, it seems that you can easily create this wing top "curve" shape with wire, covering with slightly padded fabric of an appropriate colour, and inserting/sewing/hotgluing(or all three) individual feathers to that shape.

But then, they don't look like feathers, so you can create small, individual "wing shapes"(about as many as are necessary for all those little wings) out of lighter wire(but sturdy enough to hold a shape), and covering those with sheer stockings(you can actually just cut squares/rectangles out, and pull them over the wire and then just tie wire at the ends...this way you avoid the ugly "toe" seam lines and it will fit better). And then, you can attach thes individual shapes to the curved "wing-base-shape"...

...I know this isn't making much sense. If you like, I can attempt to draw a diagram tomorrow morning.

Dia
06-14-2003, 12:03 PM
I made mine from foamcore of two different thicknesses, coathanger wire, and hot glue, with some mod podge and paper layered in some areas. I'm quite happy with how they turned out ^^

A J
06-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Dia's wings were fantastic. =)

I'd say go with foamcore too. Suu's wings are biomechanical so they're not really butterfly type wings which is what you'd use nylon for. I think stiff pieces when I think of her wings.

Foamcore is incredibly light and cheap too.

Good luck and post pics. I LOVE Clover. We definitely need more Clover cosplayers. =)

-AJ

Dark DEMONESS
06-14-2003, 01:41 PM
mmm i have been albe to make s sturdy pair with large feathers, wax, and a heck of alot of wire. but they turned out to be pretty light weight. for a couple of 4 foot wings each, yeah they are nice but gotta keep them out of really hot places.

Dia
06-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Aww, thanks AJ ^_^ I'm waiting eagerly to see your Oruha!

Skullez
06-14-2003, 02:28 PM
aww thanks much ppl ! those are some great ideas ! im gona use them and see what i can design. i prefer the smaller ones cuz im to afraid id bump into someone and then they would break or something !
But thanks much !!

linzie chan
06-15-2003, 02:33 AM
I'm making mine out of foam core too, but for the gold base part, I made out of styrofoam covered in paperclay and then sanded it down so they're all nice and smooth. Say, Any tips for attaching the wings?

lainchan
06-18-2003, 02:24 PM
What's foam core? and where do i get some?

duck
06-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Foam core is pretty much a piece of foam covered by two pieces of cardboard. It is used a lot of making scale models of sets and houses and stuff like that.

You should be able to find it at any art store that sells paper ans posterboard and stuff, and maybe even wal-mart.

Skullez
06-18-2003, 03:59 PM
lol well i know Lows dont have any lol. i decided to check just incase. noe home depot which is strang but oh well. as u can see my dad has been wanting some home fix stuff so i tag along to see what i can find. but i found some pretty cool wire !:bouncer:

linzie chan
06-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Michaels has foam core for 3 $ a sheet.

lainchan
07-01-2003, 01:57 AM
yay 3 bucks! I can afford that! ^_^

Skullez
07-10-2003, 08:20 PM
yey !! i got the foam core and it works great!!! thanks so much !! you can even make chii ears outa this stuff!!!

Space Invader
07-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Suu's wings have always struck me as being partially transparent... maybe you could find a thin sheet of acrylic plastic, cut out your shapes with a band saw or jigsaw (a dremel would probably work fine), and paint them with some watered-down white glasspaint? I dunno, I'm tired...

Skullez
08-02-2003, 07:29 PM
omg ! there turnen out great so far ! i have made them !! im almost done! just a few paint jobs and i need to find a chicker and a thing to keep them in place and im done !!
i used the coat hanger wire cuz my mom keeps on forgeting to buy me some at michles.
adn i baught gardening wire that i use for sculpturs to keep hte coathanger in its shape!
i placed 2 layers of foam together so they werent so flemsy..adn i use a TON of hot glue and molded outa it soem sruare shapes to hide the wires. ill show a photo of the complete wing set when i get my last finishing touches done! weeeee ! im so happy !!!:bouncer:

duck
08-02-2003, 08:58 PM
That's awesome! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Skullez
08-02-2003, 09:53 PM
:crylaugh: finaly done fianly done ! after watching pulp fiction 5 times and haven to many hot glue burns and wire pokes in my hands and way to many miss calculations for each individual wings are finaly complete !!
to view them just go to the gallery and view on my upcomen costume stiff !!

Skullez
08-02-2003, 10:37 PM
o0kie im haven some trouble w/ uploaded photos so the only way u can see it is on the cosplay page.
hm...maybe it will work later...