PDA

View Full Version : help with moldings

ChicoChan
06-12-2003, 10:54 PM
I want to make some jewelry and other props for a costume and my friend henry tells me i should first make them out of clay, then make a mold and cast it in resign.....
well i have no idea where to buy ANY of the material..........or what to buy.....
or how to make a mold.......
can anyone help ;....;?

Amethyst Angel
06-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Are you certain it's something which needs to be made from a mold? Perhaps you can make it out of Sculpey (which is a kind of clay which hardens after you bake it. It can be found at most craft stores.) There are other sculpable mediums as well (like paperclay.)

If you're trying to create resin gems, I believe Michael's craft stores sells resin kits and molds (although beware, resin is evil to work with and can damage your lungs if you're not careful.) If you want to create gems without resin, you can use the aforementioned Sculpey clay, or hard styrofoam painted with a metallic acrylic paint.

Just some ideas...

Kira_Yamato
06-13-2003, 02:11 AM
I've heard that smooth-on.com sells a starter kit that's great. But the site is so slow that it is maddenning.

ChicoChan
06-13-2003, 06:31 AM
ahh thanku ^_^
I thought aboue using sculpy but i decided to go with molding instead.....for a more proffesion approash ^_~
I'll be carful not to inhale anything LOL

Sarcasm-hime
06-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Casting is really only necessary if you want a transparent jewel or want to make multiple identical copies. I'll be doing resin casting for a jewel in the near future, but I've also had good results for cheap jewels by making the shape out of paperclay, sanding until it's totally smooth, then carefully painting the jewel's "shadows", i.e. darker around the edges with a smooth gradation to the centre. Then just put on a layer of gloss and it'll look just like in the anime!

However, if you do cast, make sure you're outside AND wearing a ventilator. Seriously, the fumes from that stuff will harden *in your lungs* and deposit bits of plastic there.