PDA

View Full Version : unrealistically long feathers [Balmung from .hack]

Kirara_Power
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm trying to get my supplies for my Balmung (.hack) costume together, but I'm coming up empty on what to do for his cape/wings.

Here's a picture of him. (http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/hack/art-05-balmung.jpg)

As you can see, the feather things on his cape are REALLY long and flowy. Is there any way I can, like, glue turkey feathers or something together to make them longer? I can trim them to taper off at the ends... I really don't want to spend all that extra money to buy feathers that are that long to start with. TT.TT

Any help is loved!

AlikNyankoChan
03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
You can glue turkey feathers on top of one another to make them look longer. I'm not experienced with how to do this, but from how I understand you just layer them end to end until they're as long as you like(kind of like window blinds). But they'll come out very curved....and really, really rigid, not at all flowy. Feathers are sharp & rigid to begin with, & when you make them bigger & longer it just gets worse.

angelicstar.net has a few costumes that exhibit this effect, particularly the "midnight wings" costume.

From the picture you provided, it might be better to make the feathers out of serged-edge(or finished in some other way) strips of cloth, & lightly paint on some feather details. The rigid, curved feather look just wouldn't work on a cape(again, needs to be flowy ^^).

~Alik

Fire Lily
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
You could try white ostrich feathers - they are very long and flowy. Or if you want to pay a little more and if you can find some, bleached pheasant tail feathers.

Or you can go the Jareth route from Labyrinth in his final costume. Strips of white gauzy cloth mixed in with feathers to get a fluffy, flowy cape. Pics are hard to find, but you can see it at the ending scene of the movie.

AlikNyankoChan
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
You could try white ostrich feathers - they are very long and flowy. Or if you want to pay a little more and if you can find some, bleached pheasant tail feathers.

Or you can go the Jareth route from Labyrinth in his final costume. Strips of white gauzy cloth mixed in with feathers to get a fluffy, flowy cape. Pics are hard to find, but you can see it at the ending scene of the movie.

Haha, where do you buy ostrich feathers that don't cost an arm & a leg? Even Drabs would be somewhat expensive(& still not long enough, at 22"). And while pheasant tails would be long enough, at their prices(as you said)...err...yeah.

www.rainbowfeatherco.com is my point of reference for price here.

I agree with the Jareth idea, though...if you can afford it, it would look awesome to mix in real, long feathers!

~Alik

Kirara_Power
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Hmm... Jareth's almost looks like white wig fiber or something... GASP! Maybe I could mix in some hair extentions along with the short and long feathers! What do you guys think?

Fire Lily
03-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't see why not ^.^ Just make sure you seal the top edge of the extensions so they don't pull out too easily, but I think it would work for the look you're going for.

I guess I'm a little spoiled when it comes to ostrich feathers. My mom's friend owns an ostrich farm, so I used to get tons of feathers for free when I still lived in TX.

Kirara_Power
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't see why not ^.^ Just make sure you seal the top edge of the extensions so they don't pull out too easily, but I think it would work for the look you're going for.

Well, yeah. I'll make the hair bits like wefts for a wig then sew them onto a fabric base for the cape. I think I do the same kind of thing for the feathers. :)

I guess I'm a little spoiled when it comes to ostrich feathers. My mom's friend owns an ostrich farm, so I used to get tons of feathers for free when I still lived in TX.

You luck dog, you! Ostrich feathers are so cool!

cuddles116
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Hmm I'd definitely not go the real feather route on that one. I'd use fabric. (Also feathers aren't very cheap to have that much of you covered in them)

Kirara_Power
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I found another thread when I searched around on here and they used faux fur cut into feather shapes, sewed together, and the combed with, like, elmer's glue to make them look more like feathers. They looked really cool, so I'm going to experiment with the fur left over from Fai... Fur is definitively cheaper than feathers.