PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP with makeup!

vile1
06-13-2003, 06:13 AM
First off I just want to say how thankful I am that i found this forum!!!

Second, I'm going to be cosplaying for the first time ever and I have always been intrigued by all those gorgeous costumes J-rockers wear and i was so inspired by Mana's crossdressing so I decided to go in an outfit based on some of his hehe. so now i'm gonna crossplay too! you dont know HOW EXCITED I AM! Frankly if i keep talking about it my friend's gonna punch me in the head to maybe shut me up! LOL

But anyways. My big dilemma is makeup! How the HECK do girls do that eyes shadow and eye liner stuff! I think (hope) I can handle the lipstick and white face, but the eyes look so hard! :(

I know this is stupid but could anyone help? heh heh :)

thank you!

-vile1

evaneko
06-13-2003, 09:34 AM
you probably want to go through a few test runs... but basically you just put the stuff where you want it to go... with the eyeliner you just draw it around the apropriate part of the eyes- i think it looks best when its right under the lashes and doesnt look like a line around your eye- but since mana makeup is heavy you'll probably be putting a whole lot on and it won't really matter much. i would also not reccomend the liquid type eye liner b/c (at least for me) its much harder to use. with the eye shadow you probably want to look at a picture of mana to see the shape- and then you just put it on- i would reccomend getting a nice brush from a makeup counter or something (if you feel uncomfortable going to a makeup counter try MAC they always have guys working there who are wearing tons of makeup ^^;;) rather than trying to use those crappy sponge things that come with most generic eyeshadow thingies. ^^ im no expert on makeup- but i hope this helps ^^:;;;

Koumori
06-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Yeah.. I'm afraid that the best advice I can give you is to practice. Since the basic answer is "we draw on our faces." ;) Most of us have been practicing since we were about 8, so don't feel bad. I also highly recommend Kevyn Aucoin's books "Making Faces" and "Face Forward" to ANYONE interested in makeup - totally inspiring, totally educational, and he does makeup on male and female faces, trans and otherwise.

(And most people wouldn't consider you crossplaying if you're wearing one of Mana's dresses, since he is a man. But that's a whole different thread and a distinction I hate anyway. ;) )

mochihead
06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
*nods* Yup. I agree with Koumori. Kevyn Aucoin's books are really fantastic - and worth it, even if it's just for the pics!

But, yeah, there's really no way of getting around it - you'll have to practice! If you feel comfortable enough, you can always go down to a cosmetic store or department store and have them show you how to put on makeup and what to get. Or, even a friend might be able to help you.

Good luck & remember this important makeup rule: "blend, blend, blend" :)

vile1
06-13-2003, 08:03 PM
=D

This is great thanks a lot!!

Kaede
06-13-2003, 10:41 PM
A good site for Mana makeup tips is http://www.student.gsu.edu/~ttsui1/mana/index.htm
Her tips work on non-asian cosplayers as well thankfully ^^