PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay.com Gathering?

hi.to.ri
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I was looking through the threads, but couldn't seem to find one for a Cosplay.com gathering for Sakura con!

Would anyone be interested in meeting up, grabbing a bite to eat, etc. on day zero, or perhaps sometime during the convention? I'm not from Seattle, so i'm not really sure what sort of gathering places are available in the area around the convention center, but if anyone had some ideas of where to eat, I think it would be a lot of fun to meet up people from the boards! ^^

Just a thought.

Marlinspike
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I approve of this idea wholeheartedly.

As a native Seattleite, I can always recommend Todai at Pacific Place shopping center. It's a Japanese buffet, and I love it, if it is a bit pricy. Or if we're really determined, we could bus down to Uwajimaya and eat there.

hi.to.ri
03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
not everyone will have transportation, so as long as there's a cheap public transit way to get there, i'm in. =D

jinx_me
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
im not from Seattle either..its my first time going up there..
@_@

trapunto
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a bus that goes from the convention center to Uwajimaya.
I think it'd be fuuuuun :D

The Kraken
03-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I don' t know what we'll be doing at any point, but feel free to come up and say hello to me if you see me around. I love meeting new people! I'll have just moved to Washington that week, so I'll be the one that looks lost. Ha ha!

Admin
03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Cosplay.com has a booth there too so remember to come up and say hello in the dealer's room :)

Marlinspike
03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I know downtown Seattle pretty well, and I'm really familiar with metro, as it's my primary method of transportation. Todai isn't too far from the convention center, but it is a bit of a walk. Uwajimaya shouldn't be too hard to get to either, considering the tunnel buses are up and running now.

ultimaaa
03-07-2008, 07:51 AM
The problem with the tunnels, however, is the hours that they operate. They run 6AM-7PM, Monday-Friday only, which makes them useless during the weekend. I heard that sometime in 2009 they plan on running them 24/7 due to the Light Rail being open, buuuuuut until then you're SOL. Pacific Place Mall (and subsequently, Todai) is only a block away, so it's not that bad. There ARE other buses that run down to the I-District, but on weekends they're only every half-hour, and the bus stops on 3rd Ave aren't the friendliest places to be. :/

However, if the plan is to go eat on day zero or whatever, completely disregard that entire paragraph there. : D;

Marlinspike
03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Guh, you're right. I'd totally dorked on the fact they don't run on weekends. Eating on day zero sounds like a good plan, mostly so we don't have to fuss with buses and what not. Unless, of course we're going to Pacific Place.

I'm really open to anything, and both places are very cool. I mean yes, Todai is pricier, but it's amazing. However Uwajimaya also has Kinokuniya, (an asian bookstore, if you don't already know) and it also has this amazing bubble tea place near it called Oasis. Whichever works.

Also, oh my goodness, that was long sentence.

The~Wind
03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm not picky. Don't forget West Lake Center and Pike Place Market! I'd love to get together with other c.com peoples and chat.

Usachan
03-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I might be at the Cheesecake Factory on Thrusday night with a few friends
if anyone wants to get together and such, I'd like to meet more people from
here or from the Sakura Con forums, my username on there is Chiloves1.

GyzmoAlchemist
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
As a native Seattleite, I can always recommend Todai at Pacific Place shopping center. It's a Japanese buffet, and I love it, if it is a bit pricy.

As a fellow native Seattlite, I must support this assertion - it certainly is an awesome place! And in terms of pricing, I must impart this additional wisdom: during the week (Mon-Fri), lunchtimes are all-you-can-eat for $12. If I'm not mistaken, dayZERO (sorry, Eureka Seven fan :toothy:) is on Friday, so without much further ado, who's up for lunch? :rockon:

Trumby
03-10-2008, 11:01 PM
As a fellow native Seattlite, I must support this assertion - it certainly is an awesome place! And in terms of pricing, I must impart this additional wisdom: during the week (Mon-Fri), lunchtimes are all-you-can-eat for $12. If I'm not mistaken, dayZERO (sorry, Eureka Seven fan :toothy:) is on Friday, so without much further ado, who's up for lunch? :rockon:

Nope..day 0 is always Thursday for Sakura-con, as the con starts on Friday.

As for a gathering..probably going to do something with friends on Thursday so I would most likely be out.

Marlinspike
03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Only $12 on weekdays at lunch? I had no idea... LET'S DO IT. I mean, I love all-you-can-eat places in general, but this is just a plus.

I don't see anything better-- Unless someone has other suggestions. :D

...Also, I just realized as a minor, I'm still (sort of) in school at the time. Shoot. Friday's are open for me, as I don't really have school, except for anime club, where as everyone is going to be at the con.

GyzmoAlchemist
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Nope..day 0 is always Thursday for Sakura-con, as the con starts on Friday.

My bad, got the lingo wrong - I thought "Day Zero" was a term for when the first day of a Con is during the week! :crylaugh: A Friday group lunch at Todai's was what I'd meant, so hopefully more people can make it (seeing as they'll be at the Con anyway :toothy: )

A bit of sad news, though: I just did a check-up of the Todai's site, and according to the menu, the lunch prices as of Nov 2007 are now $14.95 per person (it USED to be $12 apiece, I swear...but then again, the last time I ate there was like 2006...) http://www.todai.com/locations.php (Still all-you-can-eat, though ;) ) It's not much of an increase, but it probably makes other places a lil' cheaper by comparison...

I still think it's worth doing - anyone else, now that it's on Friday?

Marlinspike
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
A bit of sad news, though: I just did a check-up of the Todai's site, and according to the menu, the lunch prices as of Nov 2007 are now $14.95 per person (it USED to be $12 apiece, I swear...but then again, the last time I ate there was like 2006...) http://www.todai.com/locations.php (Still all-you-can-eat, though ;) ) It's not much of an increase, but it probably makes other places a lil' cheaper by comparison...

I still think it's worth doing - anyone else, now that it's on Friday?

$14.95 still isn't that bad. I mean it is all you can eat. Plus, the food's good. I still think we should do it. Plus, I have a few friends who have really wanted to go to Todai for a while, so this gives me a good opportunity to drag them along... >.>;;

The~Wind
03-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Friday?

No can do. I'm pretty much booked solid from Thursday night around 9 PM to Sunday at Closing Ceremonies.

Oh the joy of being Sakura-Con Staff.

I don't know if I will be able to do Thursday now. *bites lip*

Marlinspike
03-19-2008, 12:25 AM
So guys, the con's in nine days--- We need a plan. Shall we just take a vote, then?

hi.to.ri
03-19-2008, 09:19 AM
vote's fine w/ me, and I'll make sure to update the main page if we figure something out. ^^

Erudito
03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey, I'll be meeting up with some friends who live near Seattle on Day Zero, we can probabily meet up, but I'll have to know the time and maybe get some directions so I can see if we can all make it to the place.

Marlinspike
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Can you update the thread with a poll? That would probably be most effective in executing the vote.

But just in case, I'm preemptively voting for Friday, between 7-ish and 10-ish.

hi.to.ri
03-20-2008, 01:45 AM
not sure I can switch the thread to a poll type... o.o
i'd also prefer a Day Zero meetup though, if anyone else is up for that.

GyzmoAlchemist
03-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Can you update the thread with a poll? That would probably be most effective in executing the vote.

But just in case, I'm preemptively voting for Friday, between 7-ish and 10-ish.

To help out with the poll: Lunch hours at Todai's are from 11:30 - 2:30, so that option has a somewhat limited time slot...

Eurobeat King
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
If it's on Thursday, Day Zero, I can make it. :) Just a gathering, though.

narutofan195
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
....if we can't make that, would anyone be up for meeting by the starbucks on the 3rd floor if the con at a certain time? just wondering

Arissa-chan
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
....if we can't make that, would anyone be up for meeting by the starbucks on the 3rd floor if the con at a certain time? just wondering
I'm up for that.

narutofan195
03-20-2008, 09:26 PM
what time would people like to meet up at? convienient times for anyone?

Marlinspike
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I just realized I have a giant gap in my Friday schedule from 11:30 - 1:30-- Which then makes Todai very ideal for me. Anyone else up for it?

The~Wind
03-23-2008, 12:42 AM
There is not Starbucks on the 3rd floor.. It's the 4th floor and it is now a Tully's.

Eurobeat King
03-23-2008, 02:26 AM
There is not Starbucks on the 3rd floor.. It's the 4th floor and it is now a Tully's.

Aww.. that sux.. I was looking forward to getting a Frappucino (when it's not busy) sometime that weekend. :razz: Hopefully that SubWay is still next to it on the 4th floor.

SvK
03-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Aww.. that sux.. I was looking forward to getting a Frappucino (when it's not busy)
On the bright side, it would never be "not busy" during the convention, so you wouldn't have gotten that Frappucino anyways.

narutofan195
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
so, we meet at the 4th floor? or just randomly have a poster on our foreheads that says "COSPLAY.COM' (^_^)

Eurobeat King
03-23-2008, 05:30 PM
On the bright side, it would never be "not busy" during the convention, so you wouldn't have gotten that Frappucino anyways.

Thursday's probably the only non-busy day, or if I wake up Friday-Sunday and get to the 4th floor earrrly. ;)

The~Wind
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
The Subway is still there.

There is a Starbucks down the street from the Con center... When coming out of the main entrance of the center, go straight down 7th past the Cheesecake Factory and it will be on your right. I should know, I've been there enough times.

Sayabean
03-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Kyaaa~ Can I join the gathering? I won't be in any special cosplay, but I'm totally into anime. I'm not that familiar with Seattle yet, and I would love a few new friends!

ToEtAcTiC
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
day, time, place? i would like to meet up with some other cosplayers although i wont be bringing one myself since im coming from idaho and dont have room in the car

GirlyAnimeGirl
03-25-2008, 01:21 AM
This sounds like fun, I would love to try and make it. Thursday is the best day for me, my Friday and Saturday are totally booked lol. XD

hi.to.ri
03-25-2008, 04:53 AM
looks like a no go for the gathering, too many spread out availabilities. maybe everyone will run into a few forum members at the cosplay.com booth.

hope everyone has a good convention!
bai