PDA

View Full Version : Recommend J-Rock To A Newbie!

John Booty
06-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Hi! I don't know too many J-Rock bands. I know a few well-known ones but that's about it.

YOUR MISSION, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT:

Recommend a few of your favorite (YOUR favorites, not necessarily safe choices you think everybody will like!) bands/people for newbies to check out. ^_^

Mara
06-14-2003, 08:54 PM
My favorite has always been, and will always be Malice Mizer. Their style varies so much from each album, and even from each song. Within everything they've written, there is probably a style that could please just about anyone. They are the only band I know of who does everything from classical, to rock, to techno, vampire esque rock, among others. Some of my favorite Malice Mizer songs are:

Saikai no Chi to Bara
Le Ciel
Bel Air
Shinwa
Hijiri Naru Toki Eien no Inori
Au Revoir

If you want something that is more mainstream rock, I would go with Gackt, Pierrot, or Janne Da Arc. Gackt, of course, is the former lead singer of Malice Mizer, and his song Mizerable is my favorite song of all time, period. His music in general has a solid, ballad rock kind of feel, and his voice is just incredible. He's by far my favorite Japanese song writer.
My favorites written by Gackt are:

Mizerable (love it, love it, love it!!!)
rain
Kimi no Tameni Dekiru Koto
Dears
Wasurenai kara
(... and basically everything the man has written)

Pierrot is a little more intense. They are what I would call straight up Japanese rock. Not visual kei, but a little harsher sound than Gackt, perhaps. Lead singer Kirito is a great performer and has a captivating voice. Pretty much every song I've heard by Pierrot is catchy and well orchestrated.
Favorite Pierrot songs of mine are:

Purple Sky
Dramatic Neo Anniversary
Last Letter
AGITATOR

The same goes for Janne Da Arc. I would put them in the same category as Pierrot. Straight up rock, with rather interesting melodies. And You, their guitarist, is damn good in my opinion.
Favorites of Janne Da Arc are:

Still
Lunatic Gate
Phantom
DRY
Blue Tear

Two other groups I've recently started listening to are Rag Fair and INSPi. They are both a capella type groups, and they just sound great. It's rather unique to hear a capella in Japanese, especially when it's as well done as with these guys.

...and that's my two cents. If you have a Japanese bookstore near you, I would recommend buying Zappy. This is the best Japanese music magazine in my opinion. It'll give you a look at the newest bands, and they give you a free sample CD with clips of the new song releases, and artist interviews, which are always awesome.

John Booty
06-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Oh, MY! Thanks so much for that informative response. ::bows::

^_^

soshi
06-14-2003, 09:23 PM
My favorite band right now is Dir en grey, and my favorite album of theirs is "Kisou". It's got a varied sound throughout the songs, but it's definately on the metal side of things.

ryuichi fangirl
06-14-2003, 10:27 PM
ok...this is the stuff that'll likely be on my winamp playlist forever :P

Dir en grey (r00x!):
YOKAN
Keroido Milk
Cage
Tsumi to Batsu
[KR]Cube
Yurameki...(but in honesty..I luv all their stuff ^^;)

Malice Mizer:
Le Ciel
Beast of Blood
Illuminati
No Pains No Gains ( ...MM...yet another r00x...Diru is my fav but MM is RIGHT behind them! lol)

Kagrra:
Hizo
Kotodama
Oniyuu no Uta
Shi-mi-me-yu-ki-sa-a

ambitiousmiyavi
06-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Here some of my fave jrock bands and some of their songs:

Pierrot:
automation air
shinkei ga wareru atsui yoru
cocoon
enemy
finale

Miyavi:
girls, be ambitious
oresama shinkou
POP is dead
Night in girl
ashita tenki ni naare

Dir en grey:
KR cube
filth
yurameki
Raison Detre

L'Arc~en~Ciel:
anything of there tierra, ray and real album.

There are lots lots more but this should help you out.

MichiruKaiou
06-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Ok.. Though she is J-pop technically... I myself have 2 words:

AYUMI HAMASAKI!

Yui
06-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Ack I've been beaten to the response here. Booty was my intended prey!
Yo boy, what's you con schedule? Ota at least right? You are -so- getting a video run-thru really this time. :D

mifyuu
06-15-2003, 05:20 AM
MUCC, Plastic Tree, Kagrra, deadman, Vidoll, Pierrot

John Booty
06-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Oooh, thanks for the responses everybody! I started checking out a few of the bands via Soulseek... Malice Mizer I already loved. Now thanks to you guys, I'm really liking Pierrot so far! And a bunch of the others are downloading... ^_^

Yui: you were my intended target for this thread as well... mwahahaa >:-D. My con schedule is, I think, Otakon and then Nekocon. My budget isn't gonna allow for any plane travel, I think! And you? Ayaka said you guys might make Ota....

Edit: If I can offer up any Japan music advice to this thread in return... I really like the album "Softball" by Tenku. It's not J-Rock, more like catchy lo-fi/indie-style pop... also awesome is Takako Minekawa, who has kind of a minimal groovy electronic sound. And her husband too who records under the name Cornelius and is similar but with more of a rocky sound. Far from J-Rock/J-Pop but still great!

Umi
06-15-2003, 03:49 PM
My favorite bands:

Siam Shade
L'arc en Ciel
Judy and Mary
the brilliant green
Mr. Children
Janne Da Arc

Yui
06-15-2003, 07:43 PM
We're going to do our very best to pull some kind of road-trip caravan with as many Chicago area peeps as possible. Otakon just can't be missed. >^_^<

Yeah! Everything everyone said...and...Psycho le Cemu ^o^ Um, even without seeing the fruity visuals to yet, I'd say try out Ai no Uta and Gekiai Merry go Round without question.
For Pierrot, I love every song ever, but for some of the most distinctive ones: Automation Air, Agitator, Haruka..., any with the word sky ^_^* (Purple Sky, Mad Sky, Clear Sky), a second on shinkei ga wareru atsui yoru...um, actually just any song off of Private Enemy or Heaven TCL is recommendable.
And good for you for liking MM already. That makes my job easier. ^_-

Oh wow...do we need a sub-forum in music chat or what...?

John Booty
06-15-2003, 07:53 PM
*downloads like a freak*

This thread rules. Thanks so much for the advice everyone! ^_^

(hehe, Lilli introduced me to Malice Mizer at AWA 2001. she let me listen to a couple of songs on her headphones)

TheLoneWolf
06-16-2003, 05:46 AM
*Looks up*
What he said ^^.
*Has been silently following everyone's advice ^^*

Zelly
06-16-2003, 05:57 AM
w00t! someone else who likes deadman! XD;

Yeah, everyone's heard Malice Mizer, Dir en Grey, and X Japan (I definitely recommend X/X Japan though :D they 0wnx0r), but as for recommendations....Pierrot, La'cryma Christi, deadman, Kagerou, Psycho le Cemu, Shazna, L'arc~en~Ciel, Fatima. ^^; And Iceman is great too though they're kinda in between J-ROCK and J-POP...

Also, the music video for Roman Hikou (by Psycho le Cemu) is the best thing ever. e_e

Vinya
06-16-2003, 06:43 AM
^_________________________________^

Reason for a smile that wide:

Gackt - U+K

Get it. ^_^

slightlysalted
06-16-2003, 02:42 PM
yay. advertisement-ness....i had no clue which one of these have been said, and which ones have not....(I know Pierrot, DeG, Malice Mizer, and Miyavi have been mentioned) so....

Aioria: I actually like all the songs I've heard of them. ^^;
-Kousai no Chiden
--Sougetsu no Inei

Baiser
-Doku
-Phantasmagoria
-Phantom of Nightmare

Baroque: Haven't heard much of them yet, but still good.
-Shagare Boogie

Endorphines (a few members of Baiser broke away and created Endorphines. The others created Swallow Tail)
-The End
-Tsumi to Batsu

Jinkaku Radio
-Kayoubi no Shoukyakuro
-O Ningyou San
-Wasurenagusa

Nightmare
-Dogma

VariableMessiah
-Suzumebachi
-Taisei no Hate (I'm pretty sure that's the title, not 100% tho)

*laughs* most of these are indies. >>

Scortia
06-16-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm not going to get into songs... but as for J-rock, I enjoy Malice Mizer, L'arc~en~ciel, DeG, Yellow Monkeys, To Destination, The Pillows, Charcoal Filter, Siam Shade, Camino Project, etc etc... And even though they sound more pop-ish than anything, Gackt solo, TWO-MIX, and TOKIO. I need to hear more groups...

ryuichi fangirl
06-16-2003, 05:45 PM
I completely forgot Miyavi!! AHHH...I feel rather stupid...lol

umm..I am loving Shindemo Boogie Woogie ( lol...this has one of the most spastice PVs I have ever seen..lmao)
Coin Lockers Baby
Girls, Be Ambitious
and Pop is Dead..^^

mughi3
06-18-2003, 07:50 PM
you rang?

japanese metal
.seikima II-heavy metal
.cyber angel-all female thrash metal
.show-ya-all female heavy metal
.the sex machineguns-speed metal/comedy
.anthem-heavy metal
.animetal-anime versions of metal tunes
.onmyo-za-heavy metal/folk
.concerto moon-prog/power metal
.hide with spread beaver-metal/industrial/electronic
.X-japan-prog/power metal
.metal lucifer-hevy metal
.headphones president-hevy metal
.loudness-heavy metal
.earthshaker-heavy metal
.manipulated slaves-thrash metal
.fatima hill-prog/power metal
.fairy mirror-prog/power metal
.hard gear-heavy metal
.kaizer-prog/power metal
.vigilante-prog/power metal

japanese rock
.hotei-cross van halen and chuck berry...good stuff
.aykawa nanase-pop/rock
.TMR/Tm revolution-rock/techno/pop
.the brilliant green-melodic rock
.shina ringo-rock/strangeness
.go!go!17188-pop/punk

thats a good starter for ya
;)

twilighthush
06-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Forget J-Rock for a moment and try some C-Rock.

Silver Ash is a GREAT visual rock band, and China's first VK band (which makes them all the more special.)

Download their music at http://www.twilighthush.com/silverash/silvermp3.html