PDA

View Full Version : another gunblade thread

Griever
06-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Hello everyone.

I don't know how many people have asked this but,
How exactly do you make a gunblade?
I definately don't have enough to have one commisioned,
and sad to say, I didn't take wood shop. (boy, do I regret it)

But I want one soooo freakin bad
and Squall is just too cool for words. I want to cosplay as Leon from Kingdom Hearts.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers.

Sparki
06-14-2003, 10:25 PM
You could try thick cardboard, I believe my friend made hers out of it and it turned out pretty good...Unfortunately, I've never made one, so I can't speak from my own experience.

Griever
06-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Ok.
I'll try that.
Thanks a bunch. :D

Surashu
06-16-2003, 01:52 AM
Two words... Craft Foam! People sware by this stuff. You can get it at JoAnns pretty cheap.

L to the 3rd
06-16-2003, 03:16 PM
one word: it's not easy.

Griever
06-16-2003, 06:23 PM
If I EVER get this bloody thing made I'll post some pics
(:crylaugh: hehehe I'm doomed)

Kamui Motoaki
06-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Mug someone that has one. . ^_~

Nietsche
06-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Although I haven't personally made a gunblade, I have used alternative materials in my prop making techniques! The Granasaber and the Maken Valborg to be exact...First time over, I used corrugated cardboard layered several times over to get a good thickness....then I was introduced to the wonders of foamcore. This type of flatboard is quite useful given that you can cut it easily using a craftknife and it sands just as well as balsa wood (which itself is also a good material but can be expensive)...that's about all I can offer in alternative and affordable materials

archangeli
06-17-2003, 12:49 AM
I've done the cardboard thing - not the best route.

I thing foamcore is a great material - but again, not my material of choice.

My woodworking skills are pretty minimal.

So . . . I'm interested in this craft foam thing. Are you talking about those colorful 3mm sheets that you can find everywhere? Or is there some wonderful material that I haven't discovered yet ;)

positivespace
06-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Try Owens Corning insulation foam. You can get it at hardware stores in various thicknesses in these HUGE (as in: better have a truck) pink sheets. It's fairly easy to work with, though you'll have to test your paint out before trying it on your prop... 'cause some paints will "eat" through the foam (trust me, it just happened to me today!).

It sands fairly well, and you can carve it with a knife... I think a lot of people on here use it for their weapons.

positivespace
06-17-2003, 04:09 AM
Try Owens Corning insulation foam. You can get it at hardware stores in various thicknesses in these HUGE (as in: better have a truck) pink sheets. It's fairly easy to work with, though you'll have to test your paint out before trying it on your prop... 'cause some paints will "eat" through the foam (trust me, it just happened to me today!).

It sands fairly well, and you can carve it with a knife... I think a lot of people on here use it for their weapons.

FF8 Squall
06-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Kamui Motoaki
Mug someone that has one. . ^_~

*grabs his and runs*

I PMed you back about my own Gunblade, Griever.