PDA

View Full Version : So, I was thinking about entering a costume contest at animazement but...

F.K.A.Freya
03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place...I have no clue where to put this, I even looked around in the masquerade section but I'm unsure if that's where it goes either)

Anywho, I'm making a costume for animazement and I want to enter it into a costume contest but I'm not sure how to go about it. I mean, I know people do skits and win awards for it but...Okay I'm sounding ridiculous here.
Here's the basic problem. I want to show off my costume BUT I don't want to do a skit...does that make any sense? I want to sound modest but this costume looks pretty good and I'm really proud of it. Someone told me I should enter it in a contest but the only contests I've heard of doing at anime cons are skits. (I have NO acting ability what so ever)

Does this make any sense to anyone? If not just...ignore me...I'll figure something out...I think

(Again if this is in the wrong place, can someone put it in the right place?)

TheRareHunterH
03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
In my experience, there's been two seperate contests for cosplayers each year- one for skits and one that is based on craftsmanship. The former is usually held on Saturday evening and the latter on Sunday afternoon, if I'm not mistaken.

Having only been to Animazement twice before, I haven't entered either so I'm sure someone else can give you more detailed information, but the craftsmanship contest is, as the name implies, based on the quality of your costume. I'm fairly sure that this contest involves an interview with the judges and a subsequent basic "showing off" to a crowd of spectators who are there to see all of the cool costumes. I'd assume that giving off the proper vibe of your character would assist you both with the judges and the crowd, but there isn't any hardcore acting.
But just to confirm, there is a point where you do talk to a group of people and another seperate point where you are standing in front of a sizable crowd.

I hope this helps you. And if I'm wrong about anything, someone please correct me. I'm still learning about Animazement... ^_^;

F.K.A.Freya
03-23-2008, 08:04 PM
In my experience, there's been two seperate contests for cosplayers each year- one for skits and one that is based on craftsmanship. The former is usually held on Saturday evening and the latter on Sunday afternoon, if I'm not mistaken.

Having only been to Animazement twice before, I haven't entered either so I'm sure someone else can give you more detailed information, but the craftsmanship contest is, as the name implies, based on the quality of your costume. I'm fairly sure that this contest involves an interview with the judges and a subsequent basic "showing off" to a crowd of spectators who are there to see all of the cool costumes. I'd assume that giving off the proper vibe of your character would assist you both with the judges and the crowd, but there isn't any hardcore acting.
But just to confirm, there is a point where you do talk to a group of people and another seperate point where you are standing in front of a sizable crowd.

I hope this helps you. And if I'm wrong about anything, someone please correct me. I'm still learning about Animazement... ^_^;

Thank you! -^.^- I 'm glad someone replied to my problem. I was worried. I'm not good at skits and such so I was hoping there'd be just a costume contest based on how well your costume is made. Thank you again!

yukiko_mori
03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
i don't know the exacat time and such but yes there are 2 seperate contests

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
There are two seperate events: Masquerade/Cosplay and Craftsmenship. As mentioned, Craftsmenship is based on quality of costume and the Masquerade/Cosplay has skits, walk-ons, and (IMO) takes forever o.O You have to go to a meeting earlier that day for the Masquerade if you want to be in it and i'm unsure if Animazement holds a practice for it or not (maybe someone else could enlighten me on that)
Craftsmenship was held on sunday last year if i'm not mistaken and, normally, they have a cut off number of entires. So, its best to get there early so that you can enter

Tigress
03-24-2008, 02:56 AM
The AZ staff lurk very frequently on the AZ site forums, so they can answer your questions in depth there.

Tri23
03-25-2008, 01:02 AM
*rises from the shadows*

They are correct in everything they have said. Just note that the craftsmanship contest is on Sunday. It is 50 entries, and speaking to the judges with the mic is completely optional. Some people are mic shy. :)

The rules for the contest will be updated hopefully in April. They shouldn't change much.

*fades into the shadows*