PDA

View Full Version : J-rock cosplay

True_Sanosuke
06-16-2003, 04:54 AM
men who dress up as Mana-chan

shiroi_yukiko
06-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Well, since Mana is really a man under all that makeup, it's really not rediculous for a guy to cosplay him! Rare, yes. But not stupid. ^^

Kaede
06-16-2003, 05:57 PM
And since the main reason he started wearing dresses in the first place was to get (female) attention...

Yui
06-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Erk. I don't like those choices.

Hmm...this seems inspired by that AX thread. Let me say again that any guy (for it -has- to be a guy for legal reasons -and- accuracy) who walks around topless with intricate body painting (or real tattoss ^o^) a la Kou or Sydney is brave just because they are so exposed. Same for Kuja for that matter. Not many guys have 'skimpy' costumes compared to females, so to not be crossplaying and still choose a guy character that doesn't wear much is a brave act, and that cosplayer must be very comfortable with his body.

Now...I didn't mean to confuse the issue by throwing in cosplaying as crossdressers (Mana/Shinya/Aya) at the end there. That was just an additional offer to reward any guys who might go for that route (a choice reached on their own, I would hope)....not because they are brave, but because they ~should~ be dedicated and passionate about the idea. There should be nothing to be scared of, so bravery doesn't end up being needed. Cosplaying Mana (et al) shouldn't be a joke or a dare or a ploy to pick up j-rock chicks...guys who do those cosplays should do it out of...well, "love" for lack of a better term. I'm not even saying they have to be the biggest fan of the band musically, but to wear the costume, you have to love the costume.
To use Justin as an example: he really loves Mana. He understands why Mana chooses to be the way he is, and he respects it and thus pulls Mana cosplays off fantastically. You have to appreciate the whole visual concept and understand the why behind it. You can't just decide randomly one day to cosplay Mana, you really do need that respect for him to start with.

Now j-rock costumes aren't neccessarily comfortable, so maybe ya gotta be brave or stupid to get over that part, though...but that applies to everybody. :D
As far as perverted...um, it's up to the cosplayer to decide on that part... XD

Kaede
06-16-2003, 07:58 PM
*bows* and that is what it means to do j-rock cosplay in under 100 words.

True_Sanosuke
06-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Lol i just post this poll for fun i personaly like mana im making a mana outfit also.

ryuichi fangirl
06-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Yui
Erk. I don't like those choices.

Hmm...this seems inspired by that AX thread. Let me say again that any guy (for it -has- to be a guy for legal reasons -and- accuracy) who walks around topless with intricate body painting (or real tattoss ^o^) a la Kou or Sydney is brave just because they are so exposed. Same for Kuja for that matter. Not many guys have 'skimpy' costumes compared to females, so to not be crossplaying and still choose a guy character that doesn't wear much is a brave act, and that cosplayer must be very comfortable with his body.

Now...I didn't mean to confuse the issue by throwing in cosplaying as crossdressers (Mana/Shinya/Aya) at the end there. That was just an additional offer to reward any guys who might go for that route (a choice reached on their own, I would hope)....not because they are brave, but because they ~should~ be dedicated and passionate about the idea. There should be nothing to be scared of, so bravery doesn't end up being needed. Cosplaying Mana (et al) shouldn't be a joke or a dare or a ploy to pick up j-rock chicks...guys who do those cosplays should do it out of...well, "love" for lack of a better term. I'm not even saying they have to be the biggest fan of the band musically, but to wear the costume, you have to love the costume.
To use Justin as an example: he really loves Mana. He understands why Mana chooses to be the way he is, and he respects it and thus pulls Mana cosplays off fantastically. You have to appreciate the whole visual concept and understand the why behind it. You can't just decide randomly one day to cosplay Mana, you really do need that respect for him to start with.

Now j-rock costumes aren't neccessarily comfortable, so maybe ya gotta be brave or stupid to get over that part, though...but that applies to everybody. :D
As far as perverted...um, it's up to the cosplayer to decide on that part... XD

wow...What Yui said is EXACTLY how I feel ... psshh...an that just saved me a *ton* of typing :P

Yui
06-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Was that really under 100 words? I tend to ramble on about this kinda topic a lot...

Hey, maybe I need to speak at a j-rock costuming seminar. XD
...Of course, I'd probably be too shy and my speech would be more like:
"I've done some cosplays.
Kami :heart:
Kao :heart:
Lida :heart:
The end!"

Oh anyway, I know it was just a fun little poll, but I'm just so exacting that people always consider their motives truely. Cosplay and j-rock are just so important to me that I am always thinking up all these little essays concerning them.

True_Sanosuke
06-16-2003, 09:24 PM
yea lol its all good

Lyn
06-17-2003, 05:52 PM
*blink* "Sexy" should be a choice there. ^_^ Cause thats what I would vote for.

What do you mean by "comfert"? Do you mean comfortable or something? *slightly confused* ^^;

soshi
06-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Wow, this thread is just, uh, randomly offensive.

There needs to be active moderators in here.

Yui
06-17-2003, 09:42 PM
You know...the two of us scared all the mods away I think a few months ago. ^_-* Ever since the music forum got started up, I don't think there has been any official posted moderation in here at all. The site is getting a bit too big, maybe? We're left fend for ourselves.
*hides behind Lilli*

SuthrnBelleChan
06-18-2003, 02:23 PM
soshi, what do you mean by randomly offensive?? i haven't seen anything offensive in this thread as of yet, just slight misunderstanding about the poll, that's it

soshi
06-18-2003, 07:00 PM
The options about jrock cosplaying being 50% negative, 25% questionable, and 25% a word that I cannot decipher because it's either misspelled or typo-ed is, in my opinion, offensive. I'm going to ask someone to go close this thread.

Yuna
06-18-2003, 09:10 PM
So asked, so done. I can see this thread bordering on offensive, so let's stop it before it get there.