PDA

View Full Version : An Alucard Hat

Aluquent
03-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Here we go again! My progress on the darn vampire is coming along all right, actually. I do have a few more things I need to ask, though... sorry if this has been asked, but the search function seems to be out of whack and I didn't find anything when I searched "manually" (I didn't go through the entire forum, but I was at it for a long time...)

The thing is, I am not a hat maker. But Alucard has a hat. Hence, I have to become one. I have thought of doing it the easy way and simply cover an already existing hat with red felt - though there is a problem. Contrary to what many people seem to think, Alucard's hat does not have a flat top (http://www.animegalleries.net/img/7138) (let's please disregard the changing size of the brim, can we?). That means that it's a pain to cover it in anything and keeping the felt from crinkling, so here's where I'd need help. Any tips? I've searched the net in general, but all the help I can find there is "cover the hat with felt" - gee, and I thought about glueing felt onto my cat! - but not how to do it nicely.

Secondly, I'm hesitating a little in regards to what to make the pink (...) ribbons on the hat out of. As you can see here (http://www.animegalleries.net/img/7164), they sort of have an edge/trim to them all the way around, and I'm not sure how to make that, either. Any help appreciated!

Aluquent
03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone, please? I'm sorry for nagging, but I need to finishis this failrly soon, and since it's a surprise, I only have one day a week to do it in (when I'm home alone...)

Tia
03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, there was a recent thread about this. I can only find it because I posted on it, and I don't post all that much anymore. :p It's here (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=139776), if you want to read what I posted there as well.

What you want to do is start out using a hat for the shape of the crown of the hat, then once you have made that stiff while it is still on that hat (starch, resin, whatever you decide on) take it off. Take your brim piece and sew the two pieces together. Then take the brim and mold it into the shape you want as you stiffen it. You could probably put some weights in place or something to get it to lay just right while it hardens if you stiffen it with resin (personally, that's what I'd do if I ever made a felt hat).

Aluquent
04-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Yeah, thanks, I saw that thread when I did a search, but as the search didn't work at the time I could only see the thread, not access it... (Sorry for being so late in replying, but I'm making these costumes as a surprise and can only post when I'm home alone which isn't very often).

Do you have any ideas for the lovely (sarcasm) pink ribbons? I'd like them to be as close to the pic I linked to above as possible, but I'm not sure how to do it.

:)

Meanlilkitty
04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, prolly stay away from actual ribbon, because it's way too shiney and tacky looking. I'd suggest manually making some out of some dusty-rose canvas or linen fabric about a half an inch wide. When you cut the fabric, wrap the edges underneith and sew them down to keep fraying edges from showing. You could either leave it like this, or wrap it under again. Either way, you'll be left with a natural rise trim, so don't worry about making piping.
Then wrap a line of it around the entire perimiter of the bottom of the cap, that way the fabric will be consistant. Then attatch two strips of fabric to criss-cross in the front. Then take a line and wrap it over the bottem again, but make it short so it leaves a little space, then stick on little round buttons. That way you can get the layered effect that Alucard's hat has.

Tia
04-05-2008, 10:33 PM
We actually cut out strips of white pleather and painted them. You can get some pink tempera at an art supply store or something. Just don't put it on too thick or anything. I think you'd want to paint some on and then blot a lot of it away because it's a very sublte pink. I tried making pleather buttons but they didn't work so well so we had to use plastic ones as a last resort. The button making kits basically kept cutting through the pleather material when I tried to close the button with the backing. So this is my suggestion: I would not use the back of the button and just glue the edges of the pleather down underneath the button and glue it to the strips once they're attached to the hat. To make it look more authentic don't make one large strip with a few small ones on top of it, that looks really obvious and tacky in my opinion. Take many strips that are about 3/4" to 1" wide and layer them so that they overlap going all the way around the hat. This ('http://www.risingsun.net/albums/cs37/image/cs37-485.jpg') is the best close-up of that part of the hat I can find.... sorry =/ I hope you can see kinda what I'm talking about.

Meanlilkitty
04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't use tempura personally. It'll scratch off and crack after a small while. You would have more luck with something more oil based or put additional sealers on it. Or, better luck yet, just find fabric that's the right color.
I also don't know what she's taking about, tacky. His hat has layered strips of fabric--so why not layer fabric? Just the quality and the sequence in which you lay down the strips will make or break the look of your hat.