PDA

View Full Version : FMA: Military Uniform

zomgmissy
03-29-2008, 04:18 PM
So, I decided that I wouldn't just buy an outfit because I want to make it. I have looked at other military outfits that people have made and I even found one tutorial, but nothing has given me enough to work with. I have a list of basically all I'll need (which is long, so I won't post it).

So basically what I'm looking for is any tips or really good references that people can give me for the uniform.

Here (http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/State-Alchemist-Uniform-32380401) is the picture that linked me to a site that helped me the most, if anyone's interested.

And another thing: Anyone know where I can get pins close to those in the collar of the jacket?

blackcat523
03-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Great, another soon to be dog of the Military.. WHOOT.

Ok, one of the best tutorials I found is here (http://www.andsewingishalfthebattle.com/tutorial-fma.shtml)

As for the pins, you can either make them, or better yet buy a set off of ebay (our group did that, their actual metal and look great on our uniforms).

When I made mine there wans't any sort of tutorial, I just asked around when I had questions. I modified a civil war pattern for the jacket and pants and made the but cape myself (with help from some really great cosplayers).

Red Comet
03-30-2008, 12:54 AM
So, you're working on an FMA military uniform? So am I.
This site has quite a few FMA screenshots that helped me:
http://anime.akichigo.org/fma/
The way I made my patterns is I took an old shirt and an old pair of pants apart at the seams, examined them, and then used them to trace a pattern of my own. Had to be modified some, but nothing too tricky.

zomgmissy
03-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Red Comet: OMG SCREENSHOTS! You read my mind, I was just looking for those! *glomps*

blackcat: That was the tutorial I had found. The first time I looked at it, it was kind of confusing, but reading it through two or three more times, I think I've got it. And as for the pins, I could only find one set on eBay, but hopefully more will pop up.

Thanks for all the help so far. (:

ZGoku296
03-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Ok, one of the best tutorials I found is here (http://www.andsewingishalfthebattle.com/tutorial-fma.shtml)

Holy crap-o-la, there's a tutorial for these??? And here I've cranked out three of these things without ever even knowing that. Learn something new every day, I suppose. :bigtu:

Anyway, to your questions, zomgmissy, yes, blackcat and I had no tutorial to refer to, it was mostly guess work, but I think we did pretty well, cat especially since she had NO help, not even anybody to help her measure herself! Lots of phone calls and pics back and forth between us is how we kept each other on track and encouraged to finish ours.

We used this pattern (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=4), the pants to it required little modification on my end, the double breasted North jacket is the one we used for our FMA uniforms minus the long part that extends to the middle thigh. For all of mine (again, I've made 3 of these), I made the flap part as a separate piece and added it to the extender the pattern has in it.

Only other thing I can suggest is this...choose a DECENT heavier fabric, cat found ours, it's a comfy denim-like material that has really held up well. You'll get better results for your cash and it'll last longer. And, of course, if you need any further help or hints, please feel free to PM or ask!

blackcat523
03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Holy crap-o-la, there's a tutorial for these??? And here I've cranked out three of these things without ever even knowing that. Learn something new every day, I suppose. :bigtu:

Anyway, to your questions, zomgmissy, yes, blackcat and I had no tutorial to refer to, it was mostly guess work, but I think we didpretty well, cat especially since she had NO help, not even anybody to help her measure herself! Lots of phone calls and pics back and forth between us is how we kept each other on track and encouraged to finish ours.

We used this pattern (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm?tab=costumes&page=4), the pants to it required little modification on my end, the double breasted North jacket is the one we used for our FMA uniforms minus the long part that extends to the middle thigh. For all of mine (again, I've made 3 of these), I made the flap part as a separate piece and added it to the extender the pattern has in it.

Only other thing I can suggest is this...choose a DECENT heavier fabric, cat found ours, it's a comfy denim-like material that has really held up well. You'll get better results for your cash and it'll last longer. And, of course, if you need any further help or hints, please feel free to PM or ask!

Dam Zgoku, you give me to much credit. Yeah my uniform was my first cosplay outfit, and I didn't have any help (not even a dress form).

1. Make sure you try on your sleeves before attaching them to the jacket to make sure their on the right sides *I had to use my seam ripper and take them off 5 times before I realized they were on the wrong sides*.
2. Make the empulets, sew on the ribbon and such before you attach to the jacket. it makes it more difficult if you don't.

My flap is also a separate interfaced piece to the jacket.
The collar has to stand not lay flat, so make sure you interface it also because of the way the jacket and flap are you will want to put some kind of closure on the inside of the flap, or it tends to open when you salute.

The t lines should line up with the buttons on the buttcape (though mine don't due to weight gain, loss and such). The butcape is a seperate piece from the pants. The cording I used was drapery cording *which I've seen many cosplayers use instead of the bright yellow they use in the ebay versions. I also used a T plumbing fixture for the cord attachment under the arm. My Right empulet is tacked on so I can unattach it to take the cording off, this way I can have it dry cleaned.

Using a very shiny silver trim is a no NO.. it looks bad on the uniform and in pictures.

These uniforms are great because they have POCKETS! and though they don't seem it, they are very comfortable to wear.

If you need any help PM me, I'll see what I can help with with pointer wise. I plan on remaking mine with a darker blue to have 2 versions (1 regular, 1 miniskirt-funeral version).

zomgmissy
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
blackcat and ZGoku, you two are amazing! Thanks so much for all the help, and I'll be sure to PM you if I run into any trouble. (:

blackcat523
04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
blackcat and ZGoku, you two are amazing! Thanks so much for all the help, and I'll be sure to PM you if I run into any trouble. (:

Amazing (writes that in little notebook).

We just like helping make more Dog's of the Military!. We must outnumber the short one!

Other cosplayers helped us when we started our uniforms and got into Cosplay, so we are just returning the favors.