PDA

View Full Version : Retiring after AX

SohjiroX
06-17-2003, 04:02 AM
I've been getting alot of people saying there stopping this and that at AX like its a new years resolution....I'm actually retiring from DDR at AX, going at with a bang, meaning, no heart condition will have to wait, I'm going to finish all the songs and more....anyone else retireing anything?

Cait
06-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Well, unless there's a miracle with organization, I'm retiring from AX in general after this year... at least for a few years. I've said it before, and I'm not trying to be "rude", but last year I didn't feel like I got my money's worth there. ($600 for one weekend before food and dealer's room expenses, not to mention the money I could have earned working that week is a bit much for a new college student) And, I am thinking about using that allociated cash next year towards something different like Otakon, etc.

Aoshi Shinomori
06-17-2003, 12:20 PM
yeah i hear u Cait. i think i spend alot at AX and when u think about it and ask yourself " was it worth it" sometimes u think what else could u do with that money? well i didnt spend as much as 600.. more like 500 but i got to meet watsuki last year. this year im going on cheap.

RoseDuelist
06-18-2003, 03:21 AM
I'm retiring from buying tickets with "friends" 6 months in advance to reduce the chance of breaking up with those friends 2 1/2 weeks before AX... @_@ Man I'm bitter today... sorry.. *goes off to make a rant about it*

Raider3
06-18-2003, 05:23 AM
Frankly, I didn't expect to return to AX, and wasn't planning to until next year - 4th of July is a pain to get off at my work - I actually like when it falls on a Saturday or Sunday.

Anyway, got talked into coming to AX this year, haven't been down there since 1999 (First time I drove across the state for an anime con - whee!), and I assume it's going to be 10 times more chaos as it was back then. (And I thought it was too big in 1999!) Nonetheless, I still had a good time when I wasn't sweltering outside, either to and from inn three blocks away, or in Masquerade Seating Line From Hell '99.

Oh, God, what am I getting myself into?

lupineloli
06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm retiring from everything after AX.

Cait
06-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Oh, God, what am I getting myself into?

*smiles and nods knowingly*

tenkan
06-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Theoretically... I'm retiring from AX staff... assuming no friends ask me to stay on in their deparments... x_e;

I've been staffing Anime Expo for 10 years and I'd more or less decided when I came on boad that I'd stop at 10 years. We'll see if that happens... I sorta like being on staff... despite the stress of it all.

Shadra D
06-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Yes, you'll retire and they'll probably recruit me for moderation staff or something.

Watch it happen.

Really.

Yui
06-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by lupineloli
I'm retiring from everything after AX.

Really? O_o Are there still going to be j-rock events next year at all then?

AngelJibrille
06-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Yui
Really? O_o Are there still going to be j-rock events next year at all then?

It somewhat depends on the turnout for this year's J-Rock Events. I'm expecting a big turnout, but it's been made obvious to me (and Lupineloli) that J-Rock isn't on the priority list at AX... both she & I have been fighting for the event to continue the past 2 years. The lack of attendance at Fanime's Gakufest this past weekend didn't help much, there is a lot of speculation running rampant right now that J-Rock is a dying cause and should be pruned from anime conventions. I must admit (as the cosplay manager) that I'm really worried that if attendance at our J-Rock Events seems to falter, that I will be asked to let it go for AX2004 due to the expense of having the event.

So, please, everyone, come! :) Really! If you want J-Rock to continue to be a prominent part of Anime Expo, you really need to support the event.

There is obviously going to be no possible way to replace Lupineloli, she's the best J-Rock Coordinator there is, hands down. However, due to her retirement, and if there is interest enough this year to continue on next year, I will start taking submissions for the position for AX2004 sometime after AX2003 is over.

Sorry to be a semi-downer, it's been a weird week and as always I'm depressed that Lupineloli is going to retire (*cry* ;_; ).

Marisa
AX2003 Cosplay Events Manager

LionBoogy
06-23-2003, 06:09 PM
I said I'd stop at 5 years...
I said I'd stop at 10 years...
I said I'd stop at 15 years... oh wait, AX isn't 15 years old yet... hehe

- Lionel

Michi
06-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Lack of attendance at Gakufest might've been because you had to pay seperately from the con. o_X AX's J-rock events are still free, right?

AngelJibrille
06-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Michi
Lack of attendance at Gakufest might've been because you had to pay seperately from the con. o_X AX's J-rock events are still free, right?

Yup! Absolutely free ^_^

Enjoy!

Yui
06-23-2003, 07:47 PM
"there is a lot of speculation running rampant right now that J-Rock is a dying cause and should be pruned from anime conventions" - what?!
That's absolutely unacceptable. I can't imagine how that might happen, but that only wants to make sure I *only* vk cosplay in the future. If I can help you guys promote proper j-rock recognition next year, lemme know. Hopefully the PLC soccer game Friday night will generate -some- awareness and interest...

AngelJibrille
06-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Yui
"there is a lot of speculation running rampant right now that J-Rock is a dying cause and should be pruned from anime conventions" - what?!
That's absolutely unacceptable. I can't imagine how that might happen, but that only wants to make sure I *only* vk cosplay in the future. If I can help you guys promote proper j-rock recognition next year, lemme know. Hopefully the PLC soccer game Friday night will generate -some- awareness and interest...

Yes, please, just pass on the word :) We are also going to have a flyer put into all of the registration bags (it will be advertsing the Mini-Masquerade on the other side), but if you want you can come pick up some of the extra flyers at the Masquerade Registration Desk to pass out to other people as you see them Lupineloli has done her best to promote it this year she has really tried to expand our offerings by including the related EGL/EGA tournament in addition to all the other great activities.

I don't think you need to stop wearing anime costumes too though :) We do want to encourage both.

I reallly want to keep the J-Rock event going strong, especially as I feel it is a growing segment of fandom, so please get the word out there. We have an 800-seat room this year.... I'm hoping it's filled standing-room-only, like our 200-seat-room last year. :D

Happy cosplaying,
M

P.S. I'd love your opinion on what went wrong with Gakufest, and does anyone know how J-Rock attendance has been at other conventions that have offered J-Rock Programming (Otakon, A-kon, etc.) Things like a poorly-attended Gakufest tend to make people nervous and I'm having to explain things without a whole lot of information as I'm really not sure why it was such a fluke at Fanime. I didn't know it was a paid event, is that a main issue? Do you think it was due to location? Is Southern California, home of AX, just a more "J-Rock Friendly" area? Could people not afford to go to both California cons (AX & Fanime) this year?

Michi
06-23-2003, 08:14 PM
I think the fact that it was a paid event was the major issue. I wanted to go, but that really bugged me. There were people going around with flyers for Gakufest, so the word was spread.. but.. eh.

BlueLady
06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Im hitting the j-rock events for sure. I love the costumes and all the insanely hard work that goes into many of them.

AngelJibrille
06-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Michi
I think the fact that it was a paid event was the major issue. I wanted to go, but that really bugged me. There were people going around with flyers for Gakufest, so the word was spread.. but.. eh.

eesh, I think I really hijacked this thread (sorry moderators!)...

However, I find your comment interesting. I'm wondering, if the bands had been "really big names", say like hide, Malice Mizer, Dir en Grey, something like that... would you pay to see them?

I think one of the reasons that some of these "big names" haven't been brought over to the US is because in order to have them here we would need to charge for the concert tickets (bands of this caliber wouldn't do an event for free).

I know I've bandied about ideas for bringing bands here with AX and other conventions I staff, and the subject of payment for a concert is always the key factor. A lot of people were looking at GakuFest as an experiment, if it failed would it be worth it to pursue bringing even more expensive groups over?

So, I'm curious, would you pay to see one of the more expensive groups?

Marisa

Michi
06-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Eh? It had nothing to do with Blood.. I don't even really care for them.. ^^; but my friends were playing and I wanted to see..

I'd probably pay for a group with big name, I guess. T.M.R is playing at Otakon, and if they made me pay for his concert seperately I totally would. ^_^;

Yui
06-23-2003, 10:26 PM
We did kinda hi-jack this thread, inadvertantly. I shall go start another one.
Return to retiring...or not retiring...everyone.

EDIT: new thread for AX j-rock-i-ness:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14800

tenkan
06-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by LionBoogy
I said I'd stop at 5 years...
I said I'd stop at 10 years...
I said I'd stop at 15 years... oh wait, AX isn't 15 years old yet... hehe

- Lionel

Yes, Lionel, there's still some time till it hits 15 *dies* I'll probably end up being like you and missing the chance to hop off at 10 years e_e; (definitely want to get out of the department I'm in now) If nothing else I'll be retiring from that department *dies*

Shirayuki
06-25-2003, 11:53 PM
hmmm I've retired from buying anything in the dealer's hall at ax for quite some time now... what else did I retire from? hmmm staying at a hotel room =( too expensive... too poor...

Mink
06-26-2003, 11:13 AM
I want to retire from being in charge of organizing con trips for my friends....its way way way too stressful. I had a friend call me up at 10:30 the night before fanime to tell us her parents randomly desided she couldnt go (leaving us with the bill). And another friend who's parents have said she couldnt go and then could and then couldnt again and finally I had my mother call up and say "She works too hard on this! Deside yes or no and stick with it because she deserves to have adults act like freaking adults." They finally deicided she could go to AX....not like I belive them at all, Im still putting in extra hours at my job so that I am not rear ended next wednesday.

But I digress. Im tired of not being appreiated. I mean, not only do I organize the whole thing (rides, hotel rooms, registration) I also make all the costumes. But I also realize that if I do say to my friends "For AniMagic, you guys are on your own." I will get chewed out for not being a "friend". Catch 22.

So hopefully after this con I will retire from trying to save a few bucks by organizing big trips. Unless they all deside to buy me stuff and act really nice...then I might change my mind.....

lupineloli
06-26-2003, 05:02 PM
*posts elsewhere*

Freya
06-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Mink
But I digress. Im tired of not being appreciated. I mean, not only do I organize the whole thing (rides, hotel rooms, registration) I also make all the costumes. But I also realize that if I do say to my friends "For AniMagic, you guys are on your own." I will get chewed out for not being a "friend". Catch 22.

Ahhh Mink:( I totally understand what you're going through. It's for this reason I've refrained from inviting people to alot of things I do frankly because they drop out at last minute.

Heck it reminds me of group projects all over again (in school), me doing all the work because I know I'm the only one who'll do it (organize it, and enact it).

And as for the costumes I say to each his own. They should be making their costumes themselves. It's awfully nice of you to do that but sheesh. :rolleyes:

Anyways, if I were to retire anything from AX it would be the Meet the Guests Reception...but it would probably be an off and on thing only if there are guests I wish to see. This year there are and I'm not sure if I'll be able to go because of the cosplay.com gathering. :fuming:

So this is how they keep 20,000 + guests occupied and not all crammed up in one area. ^_^

Sarial
06-27-2003, 06:07 PM
THINK ABOUT ALL THE ANIME YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT
but then again....do you really want to sit in you room and cosplay for your TV? or get beautifull pictures takin of yourself YEAR AFTER YEAR and...and...and.....
hmmmm 600 dollars worth of anime......can i refund my AX ticket? and hotel? .....
j/k

Cait
06-27-2003, 06:48 PM
THINK ABOUT ALL THE ANIME YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT
but then again....do you really want to sit in you room and cosplay for your TV? or get beautifull pictures takin of yourself YEAR AFTER YEAR and...and...and.....
hmmmm 600 dollars worth of anime......can i refund my AX ticket? and hotel? .....
j/k

*laugh* My thoughts exactly. Oh, and don't forget air fare!

How ironic it is that because of conventions I have a tough time watching (painful reminder) and buying (no cash) anime in the summer. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

K_Valentine
06-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I ain't reserving a room anymore since the junk I had to put up with at last year's FANIME. I actually think before buying now. I've pretty much given up on seeing an AMV contest. Just show me who won.

LiL QoH
06-27-2003, 10:59 PM
I said to myself I'd stop.... but how could I? Conventions are SO much fun! Last year I had a girl tentacle monster spank me! hahaha