PDA

View Full Version : If there was a store...

djkidna
04-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Couple of questions for all of you lovely otaku.

If there was a store devoted entirely to anime, manga, video games, j-music, cosplay items, and other Japanese items, would you go to it? And what part of the Triangle do you all think would be the best location (Cary, Raleigh, etc)?

(This is also posted in the AZ forums, but I know there's quite a few people who frequent one or the other and not both, so I thought it'd be best to cover my bases)

Bagu
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Running an anime store is a full-time job. Its really hard to cover all your overhead with the store alone. That's why you see a lot of the various anime stores at conventions, trying to supplement their income when their local fanbase is not visiting the store.

We have one store up here in VA whose owner is basically on the road 51 weeks out of the year, from the beginning of the con season to the end.

Its a tough life.

darkmist300
04-03-2008, 10:04 AM
To answer you question,
If I still lived in NC I would go. There was one in Raleigh about a year and a half ago. I don't remember the name but it was right across the street from the Brewary. From what my friends said it did ok. If you were to do this I would suggest Raliegh or Durham. Possably in one of the malls or the outdoor mall. That way it is easily accessable by everyone and more people can see it. A good example of a store like this would be Phantasy Central in Springlake, NC

Rhi
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I would so go. ^^ Raleigh would be the best location in my opinion.

multii
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
TOTALLY WOULD GO Raleigh all the way :]

double00beaver
04-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd go. Especially for the cosplay and the j-rock/j-pop.

Shara-chan
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I'd go, and from Fayetteville to the Triangle....I think Raleigh is the best option for me. My mom and sister go up there to the Archiver's ((They scrapbook SO much!)), so I'd get the chance to.

cmkcubed
04-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I think Raleigh would be a good idea too ^^ maybe some where near the beltline so it's easy to get to

Terumi
04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Raleigh would probably be the best location, but the place darkmist300 was talking about was "Anole Anime" and closed down a few months ago (to my knowledge, because it isn't there anymore and I've heard nothing of its moving). It was right across from Sate University on Hillsborough Street and that would have been my guess for a near perfect location; however, sadly it seems it may not have been.

I would come to such as store though, and I know tons of people in the area who would as well. (Especially if you have food products and/or cosplay events ~ haha).

Kiri Akurei
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd love a store like that. I live in Wilmington, so anywhere near there would be awesome. [And I know many people who would love a store like that, as some of that stuff just isn't sold around here at all.]

xlynx
04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
I wish i could go but right now me driving in Raleigh bad ideal but i'll be living in Raleigh soon so that would be cool
definently on jrock and cosplay ;D always need jrock cds <3 and some goodies too <3

also a place not hard to find D= I always get lost easly xD lol, I always thought about opening a cosplay shop but i can't do that by myself ;D
if you need a employtell me xD lol i'll work lol i do have college but i may do a plan where i work in the day and go at night <3

LanceBardock
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
To answer you question,
If I still lived in NC I would go. There was one in Raleigh about a year and a half ago. I don't remember the name but it was right across the street from the Brewary. From what my friends said it did ok. If you were to do this I would suggest Raliegh or Durham. Possably in one of the malls or the outdoor mall. That way it is easily accessable by everyone and more people can see it. A good example of a store like this would be Phantasy Central in Springlake, NC

Aiyaaa... if only I had a sign that Phantasy Central still had a similance of its former glory. A little bit after this Anime/manga/cosplay store, Neo Otaku, came into Fayetteville Phantasy Central shrank to a quarter of what it was, and changed locations. I don't know where it is now or if it even exists... As far as Neo Otaku goes...They try to sell overpriced bootlegs, and their Anime paraphanelia (sp) is kind of lacking AAAAAAANNNNNND as a cosplayer, I've seen better quality costumes made by amateurs and online (not to mention they're over-priced as well)

In short, If one opens in Raleigh, I'd definitely go, unfortunately, I don't know the area enough to give an idea of a good location.

darkmist300
04-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Aiyaaa... if only I had a sign that Phantasy Central still had a similance of its former glory. A little bit after this Anime/manga/cosplay store, Neo Otaku, came into Fayetteville Phantasy Central shrank to a quarter of what it was, and changed locations. I don't know where it is now or if it even exists... As far as Neo Otaku goes...They try to sell overpriced bootlegs, and their Anime paraphanelia (sp) is kind of lacking AAAAAAANNNNNND as a cosplayer, I've seen better quality costumes made by amateurs and online (not to mention they're over-priced as well)

In short, If one opens in Raleigh, I'd definitely go, unfortunately, I don't know the area enough to give an idea of a good location.

I have heard of this Neo Otaku, not much though since I havent live in Fayetteville in years but still. Its sad to hear that Phantasy Central has fallen, it was the greatest. I have also heard that Neo Otaku is run by the same guy who ran Gamers Quest. If thats so then I wont ever go there because they tend to rip people off all the time.

LanceBardock
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
While I never heard of Gamer's Quest I've gotten mass reports of the shop owner's massive fail quotient, and a few people I know blame him for the fall of Phantasy Central, they also say he's an all out arse on a stick, so its possible its the same guy. I think he went by Panda or something related to pandas

GrapplerJ
04-24-2008, 08:59 AM
It was a shame to see the fall of Phantasy Central. I was helping the owner before he closed down hoping to revive his customer base and also introduce new anime. I was formally the owner for Neo Otaku. My partner bought me out and moved in a store front with the guy that used to own Gamers Quest. Which was the main reason I left and also I refused to sell bootlegs. The owner of Phantasy Central is someone I respect very much and plan to open a store in the future with his help. So be looking out!

djkidna
04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
It was a shame to see the fall of Phantasy Central. I was helping the owner before he closed down hoping to revive his customer base and also introduce new anime. I was formally the owner for Neo Otaku. My partner bought me out and moved in a store front with the guy that used to own Gamers Quest. Which was the main reason I left and also I refused to sell bootlegs. The owner of Phantasy Central is someone I respect very much and plan to open a store in the future with his help. So be looking out!

Good for you man! I'm glad you stood up against selling bootlegs. No one should ever sell those things, ever. 98% of the time the subbing for them is horrible anyway.

Of course now I have to stop posting ideas, since you're my competition :P

LanceBardock
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
I knew there was a time that Neo-Otaku used to stand for justice!! unfortuately I was in Greensboro so I wasn't around to support...its up to Hibiki-dono and GrapplerJ to bring justice back to the Otaku market!!

Dimmuburger
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
It was a terrible spot, It was upstairs on the backside of a building across the street from a Zaxbys on hilsboro street twenty yards away from Capitol Comics. the only Sign was a blinking neon sign of Goku in the window. It was a great shop, they sold bootlegs hong kong VHS releases and they had plushies, hentai, candy,those gundam model things, other action figures, Walets, adult swim merch, VHS, Dvd, wallscrolls necklaces. ect. Sadly they closed around March 2007 but they were still at Animazement. now i have to spend 35 dollars on a dvd at suncoast in cary that would have been 12 dollars at Anole:bigcry: