PDA

View Full Version : Having doubts about AX..

Dreamer81382
06-17-2003, 11:18 PM
I know this is supposed to be one of the most funnest thing ever.. but I've recently begun having doubts about whether or not I'm actually gonna have any fun at AX this year.. I dunno, it could just be 2-weeks-before-AX-and-tons-of-stuff-is-going-wrong stress.. but, well maybe you guys could hear me out and slap some sense into me or something.

I first started to have my doubts when my good friend decided not to go to AX for financial reasons. This person was not only someone whom I have the most fun being around the the person who I feel closest to as a person and as an Otaku, but she was also my partner for the Karaoke contest (something I had been preparing for and looking forward to for months). This would've been my first time ever doing a karaoke contest and it was gonna be one of the major highlights of AX for me.

I should also mention that this would be my second time going to AX and my 3rd anime convention ever (my second being Ani-magic 2002). Yes, I had fun wearing the home-made Shinji costume for the two days that I was there and meeting and having fun with all the new people that I met and got introduced to (I was invited by a person in my anime club who introduced me to my now current circle of friends)

Yes, cosplaying and being silly is incredibly fun. Being a character and being able to act out a part is one of my greatest joys in life.. but in all of my cosplays, I'm starting to wonder.. "Is it really that fun?"

For the most part, the cosplays that I'm doing are fun in and of themselves.. but in my group of friends, it pretty much barrels down to me being beat-up upon and being incredibly overheated and underappreciated. So now the cosplay is starting to lose it's appeal.

And now, even looking at my group of friends.. I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna be any fun to be with. When we started out, we were all very close and had tons of fun. Now, everyone else seems to be "preoccupied" and alot of people no longer have time, interest, or paitience for that matter to deal with and have fun with other people.

I fear they're all just gonna split up with other people, leaving alot of us behind and that we're only gonna be together for our group cosplays and relaxing in the hotel rooms (which, by the way the roommate assignments are looking.. may be very very boring).

When I was new to the group, everyone treated me great and made me feel welcome. Now, I just feel like they're growing tired of me.

I know deep down inside that I want to go and that I deserve to have an awesome Otaku time.

But what do you do when the cosplay you're doing, the events you planned to do, and the people you planned to hang out with all seem to be giving you doubts? :confused:

Like I said, I may just be overreacting and I'll still be going to AX regardless. But I just wanted to take some time and space and vent my feelings and hope someone could help me make sense of all them.

Thanks in advance.

Sparki
06-17-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm not really sure what other advice I can offer you, except that I believe you should go because you don't want to end up regretting what could have turned out to be a great time. You can still manage to have fun, go watch some performances, find a restaurant in Los Angeles that you guys can attack and go karaoke in for the hell of it, and MAKE it fun for yourself, even if your friends are forgetting that part of it.
That's my opinion and advice, but ultimately you're the one who gets to make the decision. ~Hugs~

Psychotic Jei
06-18-2003, 01:20 AM
If they're going to leave alot of you behind. Go out and do stuff with them or on your own. Make suggestions of stuff you can see as a group and such. There's so many things to do. Concerts..Masqs...movies...panels. And I'm sure you'd meet some new friends. AX is big. There's got to be people who share your interests. Don't give in.

Luna
06-23-2003, 03:33 PM
To tell the truth - I enjoy to hang out at the Cons all by myself. With the group - it's always messed up...by the time everyone pulls out their schedules, finds out what they like and want to watch - the event is over!
I've been so frustrated, when I had to babysit some people instead of going off to the panel I like! Just because I wanted to be with a friend and didn't want to go off by myself - I missed things I wanted to see and instead spent a whole bunch of money in a dealer's room, lol Really, there is always a chance meeting new friends, that's what Cons are all about!
Make a schedule for yourself, what you would like to do and see - then share it with your friends, if they want to join you, fine, if not, hell, you'll have fun anyways!

Koumori
06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
It's just one con. It's a big one, but it will be happening next year. If you think it's too stressful or you don't think you'll have a good time, then don't go. Nothing bad will happen if you don't.

evaneko
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
If you don't really like you friends and feel like they don't really like you- are they really friends?? >< go and have fun! the con is huge- you can probably find lots of new friends just by hanging around- especially if you're cosplaying. just because you are going with a certain group doesn't mean that you have to hang out with them- you can go find new friends- who arent "tired of you" or whatever...

ChibiHiku
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
*pats you on the back*

I have actually experienced a similar feeling as you, this con season, as well as life in general. So far, the year of 2003 is DEFINITELY going on my "shit list." It has just been one horrible thing after another. Sometimes I just sit here and wonder if it could really get any worse. It just hasn't been a very good year. But for all optimistic purposes, I just kept on telling myself that just as long as I had my anime cons to go to and my friends who care about me, everything would be alright in the end.

But a month before Fanime, I find out that one of my closest friends, a person who I chill and hang with at cons, wasn't able to attend cons this year. He had a internship in NY and he would be heading back to NY the DAY of Fanime...

Bummed? Very much so! We had been planning for MONTHS to do a Kingdom Hearts cosplay. Me as Kairi and him as Sora. It was SUCH a bummer... ;_; I was Sora-less for Fanime...

To make matters worse. My friend from Idaho can't make it to AX for the THIRD year in a row! She came THIS close to coming... but then things didn't turn out. So now it is just me and another friend of mine staying in a hotel room...

Also... my friends in SoCal have been drama-drama-drama. Thus... breaking up our group into 3 sections. Me... being the mutual friend to ALL 3 sections. It's really... complicated. And I wonder how I'm going to deal with it. At Fanime, I didn't have to worry cuz only one section of that once group of friends, came. But at AX... it will be all 3.

Furthermore, I didn't think that cons/cosplaying would be all that it was cut out to be, for me, this year. But Fanime made me think otherwise. I had the greatest time with my friends from the 1 section from SoCal.

^^ So chin up! I can't guarantee that you'll have the MOST outrageous, kick-ass time at AX this year. But just know, that I feel very much similar to how you feel this year about cons and what-not. So be optimist, and make the most of it! Cons should be fun, so go with it!

Suzushichan
06-29-2003, 02:45 AM
Hmmm...Cons really bring out peoples' true pesonalities... You may realize that your friendz may be back-stabbers, or you could meet new people and make new friendz...keeping this in mind; don't let stuff getchya' down, go out there and jus' have a good time. If somebody's gettin' on your nerves; don't waste your time, stick up for yourself and do what feels GOOD! just take it easy and have fun, a con is a place to forget all of your worries...
think "happy" k? ^_^ *glompz and givez pocky*

Kusanagi
06-29-2003, 04:25 AM
It seems to me you are a little worried about what your friends will think about you at the con.

There's a time and place to care about what other people think, and there is a time and place to say "Fuck em, I'm doing my own thing and having fun!"

I tend to choose the latter in scenarios like this ^_^

Suzushichan
06-29-2003, 04:48 AM
um...Isn't that what I jus' said? -_-?

Kusanagi
06-29-2003, 05:22 AM
I tend to have a habit of responding to the original post instead of reading entire threads. Especially at 1:30 in the morning ^_^ Plus I don't sugarcoat things. ^_^