PDA

View Full Version : Zippers

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-13-2002, 07:51 PM
when i go to teh fabric store, will tehre be Zippers in various lengths?

any tips on how to sew it in?
are zippers the best method other then velcro and buttons?

Koumori
09-13-2002, 08:09 PM
It all depends on what you want the closure to look like. Velcro is a little less secure than buttons or zippers, but it goes on fast and provides a relatively strong hold that isn't too visible. Buttons can be a design feature; zippers too, or zippers can be invisible. So take a close look at your design and consider your movement needs to figure out what's best for you.

Fabric stores sell zippers in all kinds of lengths, and if you get one too long, you can shorten it by taking a few stitches across it with your machine at the length you want it to be. Most zippers also come with instructions; you should use the zipper foot on your machine, or else sew it by hand, so you can get the stitches close to the teeth. Me, I lost my zipper foot ages ago, so I usually sew them by hand.

Good luck!

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-13-2002, 08:26 PM
so when i need to look for a sewing machine i should make sure it has a zipper foot.

Koumori
09-13-2002, 11:49 PM
I think most sewing machines should come with one. If not, they're not expensive.

Rosiel
09-13-2002, 11:49 PM
DO NOT GO WITH VELCRO.

A friend of mine did not listen, and it showed horribly on pictures, making her outfit bunch unattractively.

> Me, I lost my zipper foot ages ago, so I usually sew them by hand.

I don't use a special foot, is that why most of my zippers end up bunching? LOL *hates zippers* I should look through my collection of exotic feet (I swear they look like torture items) to see if I own one of these fabled "zipper feet".

Koumori
09-14-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel

I don't use a special foot, is that why most of my zippers end up bunching? LOL *hates zippers* I should look through my collection of exotic feet (I swear they look like torture items) to see if I own one of these fabled "zipper feet".

*laugh!!* A zipper foot is just a narrow little foot that allows the stitching to come up nice and close to the teeth, so the edges don't end up gaping around the zipper too much. If they're bunching, I would suspect it's a problem with the fit.. unless the edge is right on the selvege, the fabric might be stretching a little bit when you put the zipper in, which could cause that problem. It's happened to me more than once.. stay-stitching or stitching down some stay tape on the edges before you start construction helps with that.

Actually I HATE zippers. I don't think I've ever done one I was really happy with. Come to think of it, lately I've managed to avoid them altogether. I think I'll work with that trend. :)

Rosiel
09-14-2002, 12:37 AM
> stitching down some stay tape

Stay Tape? O_O Could you describe it to me? My sewing vocabulary is quite limited in English.

> Come to think of it, lately I've managed to avoid them altogether. I think I'll work with that trend.

I've had a few reallyreally tight pants to make lately, it's hard to avoid zippers then. >_<;;;

L to the 3rd
09-14-2002, 05:12 AM
i think it's easier to work with seperating zippers..
but yea..it's always more secure to use em..
I use zippers for the back of my costumes or for
boot covers

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-14-2002, 08:06 AM
my frist cosplay outfit has 2 zippers that really stick out, (those black chunky zippers) one on the side and the other that'll go from my shoulder to mid-back (just long enough so that i can unzip to fit my head through)....okay.. keep eye on zipper foot

Koumori
09-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> stitching down some stay tape

Stay Tape? O_O Could you describe it to me? My sewing vocabulary is quite limited in English.

I've had a few reallyreally tight pants to make lately, it's hard to avoid zippers then. >_<;;;

Mercifully, I look bad in reallyreally tight pants. ;)

I think Stay Tape is actually the brand name.. it's some stuff I picked up in the fabric store and have used along zipper edges on dresses. I think it basically serves the purpose of strengthening your staystitching - it's a non-flexible, narrow (1/2" or so) tape that you stitch down along edges you don't want to stretch, same as staystitching but with a little more kick, I think.

Jibrille
09-14-2002, 10:04 AM
>I think Stay Tape is actually the brand name.. it's some stuff I picked up in the fabric store and have used along zipper edges on dresses. I think it basically serves the purpose of strengthening your staystitching - it's a non-flexible, narrow (1/2" or so) tape that you stitch down along edges you don't want to stretch, same as staystitching but with a little more kick, I think.

wow! i'm glad i randomly read this thread! both of my Tactics costumes require zippers adn i believe that stuff wil solve my fears. woohoo!

each costume has an almost 20 inch zipper O.o

my machine also has a variety of tourture devices.. uh, i mean feet. ^^;
i look at some of them and cant even begin to imagine what they are supposed to do O.o