PDA

View Full Version : You know you are Goth when....

Mei Lan Chang
09-13-2002, 11:44 PM
You know you are officially a "goth" when....

1) You are walking in a very crowded place and NO one bumps into you.

2) A neighbour is very upset, and wants to have his dog's favourite collar back

3) While all the sorority girls are tanning whenever they can, you apply more sunscreen and open your umbrella.

4) You walk into a thrift store, and there is treasure everywhere!

5) You own far more Anne Rice novels than is absolutely necessary.

6) When the rainbow was created, your color was left out.

Ok! Those were pretty lame, see if you can do better! :devil:

Koumori
09-13-2002, 11:48 PM
I dunno. I've been goth for over half my life now, and I still think *one* Anne Rice novel is more than is absolutely necessary. ;)

The Moe
09-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
I dunno. I've been goth for over half my life now, and I still think *one* Anne Rice novel is more than is absolutely necessary. ;)

AHahahahaha...I agree. ^_~

Himemiya
09-14-2002, 12:04 AM
You're friends don't recognize you in colors.

Rosiel
09-14-2002, 12:35 AM
Koumori, I was surfing your website and I wondered when you're going to do your Mad Hatter cosplay... (I guess this is somewhat related since she looks Goth LOL)

And, hey, I read that dig about people cosplaying AS characters in vinyl! >____> And am right now sitting in front of my computer with a lapfull of WHITE vinyl! LOL

(But I admit /a lot/ of AS cosplayers make me twitch too.)

Koumori
09-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Rosiel, but you are in the 1% minority who look GOOD in vinyl. ;) (I think I was desperately traumatized by a Lucifer I saw once, and that may have been directed straight to him.) And among the few AS cosplayers I've seen who really work at detail, and one of the few cosplayers period who really seem to be able to inhabit the character. (Just let me know when they start making anime characters that look like me, and I'm there. ;))

I am deeply embarrassed that you went to my website. After seeing the gorgous sites some other people around here have, I am in the middle of a site overhaul and pestering my artsy friends to take some DECENT pictures of my costumes. You notice I never tell people to go there? ;) Hopefully in a few months it will be... presentable.

No idea when I'll do Hatter. I'd want to take my time and do it well, since a lot of the time people just throw on a hat and some clown-white. Which *works*, sure, but...

The Moe
09-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Rosiel- I plan on cosplaying Alexiel from the AS anime for Katsucon 2003. Are you gonna be doing Rosiel? I was actually looking for others who were gonna do AS cosplay....just wonderin'! ^_^

DJ(SiC)ness
09-16-2002, 03:38 AM
You know your goth when you cry because the black in your cloths faded to a slightly less than black black, becuase someone used the wrong cloths deturgent.

^ i know from personal experences

The US needs bands like Dir en Grey. That more gothic feel, the beatiful outfits ...but the really only thing we got is a bunch of goth bands who don't really know what there doing. The only thing we have anywhere close to costum wise is Slipknot, and they are nothing like Dir En Grey...well bisides they are very very huge in Japan. I don't get it Slipknot is almost never mentioned over here on radio or TV but yet they are Very popular in europe and Japan. There selling out stadiums left and right over there.

Rosiel
09-16-2002, 10:58 AM
> your cloths faded to a slightly less than black black, becuase someone used the wrong cloths deturgent.

I'm not Goth and I do that. I /hate/ how blacks fade to all different shades and then when you wear them together it looks bad. X___X

I'm thinking of dyeing a lot of my faded black clothes to make them all match...

Koumori
09-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Damn blue-black vs. brown-black...

khamryn
09-16-2002, 11:23 AM
You know your goth when...

you go to find something nice and light colored in your closet cuz its a hot day..

and can't find anything.. x.X

::Was a goth for years. Closet is still probably 80% black clothes.::

Choice
09-18-2002, 12:17 PM
all your conversations sort of end up talking about music.

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 02:29 PM
You know you're goth when you give off that one effect that keeps people away ina 3 foot radius from you.

That reminds me... Hopefully I will be able to have my goth style ready in November... $.$

Lovelyangel_81
09-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
You know you're goth when you give off that one effect that keeps people away ina 3 foot radius from you.

That reminds me... Hopefully I will be able to have my goth style ready in November... $.$

Huh? what goth style? Ranma-kun

Kendo_Bunny
10-02-2002, 11:33 PM
I'm not technically speaking a goth, just very morbid... but here's one that happened to me:

You find that your goth Lolita argyle socks are now minus one sock, but you wear your remaining one anyway... ^^; I supplemented with a black ribbed knee sock... but it just wasn't the same *sniffs*

hel-chan
10-06-2002, 02:59 PM
*ahem* goth's not just wearing black...it's not even that, either. It's the fashion that comes with the *state of mind* that few would know to call "goth"...In that sense, maybe people in the middle ages were "gothic" *_*; (remember all the morbid-ness, and the infamous "Dance of Death" theme that was EVERYWHERE...*sigh* ), even though the term got introduced with the gothic style of architecture much later, ne...

Goth for me would be...having a unique and different understanding(and appreciation) for the darker things in life, with a few drops of melancholy, and love for pain *winks*...I guess the meaning of what "goth" truly is(when reffering to people) lost its meaning sometime throughout the years....

The character Jane Eyre from Charlotte Bronte's novel, "Jane Eyre" has been refered to as "gothic", yet it has nothing to do with her wearing black/ dark colours... And I don't think neither does Anne Rice's novels- as far as the characters dress. It really has nothing to do with colour^_^; Actually, I think the colour became associated with the term, because it was the colour that the people part of the subculture could most relate to...right? And then it kind of evolved to all those other things- Classic Goth, Cyber Goth, Elegant Gothic Lolita, etc, etc, etc....

Eh....*runs and hides*

khamryn
10-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Erm.. I think this was meant in silliness ne? ^^;

hel-chan
10-06-2002, 07:35 PM
oh..o.o; gomen ne..I get annoyed when people try to define what makes you "goth", and always end up with the conclusion that "goth" has everything to do with how one dresses>.< (not really refering to this ;_; )*eye twitches*
....ano...when is yer site going to be up, khamryn-san??;_; ...

Tenjou
10-06-2002, 07:45 PM
(from a shirt) You're so gothic you're dead.

khamryn
10-06-2002, 09:54 PM
hel-chan: i know how you feel.. well, i used to anyway. i was a goth and got all annoyed but now i just find it funny :D i know being goth isn't necessarily the clothes, but a lot of people think it is. x.X ::Blinks:: when.. erm... ::hides behind a curtain:: when i learn how to do frames. u.u; rosiel's gonna help (my goddess! hehehehe)

Kendo_Bunny
10-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Where I come from everyone who's a goth wears dark colors... the main reason being I live half-way between a sophisticated metropolitan area and hick country. So you've got preppy, middle, hicks, then the goths, weirdos, and pseudo-hippies ^^; My mind frame is rather gothic, but I've got a little of weirdo and psuedo-hippy mixed up in it. I'm morbid, but being morbid makes me cheerful... it's quite confusing.

hel-chan
10-07-2002, 06:45 AM
Actually, goth IS confusing...o.O; It's...yeah, we're tragic. Most of us are like an Alice forever wondering through Wonderland.~.~;; And most of us are never satisfied. I always found gothics extremely selfish and utterly pathetic. Of course, don't be offended- everyone who knows me know that I hate myself so of course I'd say things like this. But eh....I know "happy" goths...most of them tend to fall under the category of "glitter goth" or "glam goth"(?! such vast raaaaange of "goth"...sometimes I think it's ridiculous...a subculture with a thousand other subcultures within itself-.-; ). Anyway, morbid is good!^_^;

khamryn-san, hurry up ne *_* (*sigh* Rosiel-sama *is* a goddess! I can only hope to be half as good as her one day~_~*starry eyed* *_* )

khamryn
10-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Nah, I'm not offended... its mostly true. ~_~ A good portion of the "goths" around here are gone now and replaced with baby-bats.. in otherwords, preps that go to hot topics, buy the clothes, and pretend they are goth and staple their hands to their foreheads. x.X

erm.. I'll hurry when I have the time to do so.. x.x

hel-chan
10-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Oh My Goth(O_O!!! ye heard that song by Razed in Black btw?O_o; )...!!!!THANK YOU!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!-_- FINALLY I come across somebody with the same opinion on the so-called "baby bats"!!! *SIGH*...yes...You are absolutely right, I couldn't agree any more. That is why I have nicknamed the local hot topic store "the poser store".-_- Ah...You know, if you *really* think about it we're all posers- most things in fashion have been already done and explored(I didn't say every aspect of it*_*; ), so we all.....more or less.....are copying someone when we first start out. So how in the WORLD do you tell the difference between the true gothic and the "baby bat"? To me, it's simple. Aside from it all depending on your personal mind set, I find that it very much matter what you were before you became publicly "goth". Now c'mon...can a prep....or a cheerleader for that matter....be goth??? Someone who's happy-go-lucky and convinced life's a blast? *sigh*....To me, not really. Unfortunately the example I just gave is a true story- cheerleader turned goth. Now take me and more than half of the goth population on this earth- we weren't *anything* before we chose this. We were merely a shell, a blank canvas at that, so absorbed by out internal turmoil that we couldn't possibly be concerned about what *colours* we dress in. Until finally one day we were brave enough and took that step forward- we decided that we hate talking so much, and the world in general, that we would dress against what would be socially acceptable and we would rebel as well. Of course, most of us already showed a tendency towards the darker things from an early age.

Yes, I am wrong! But I'm also right. See, all the "children of the Night" that I know have been through too much sh*t for their own good when they were younger. But they weren't as brave as say, a classic punk would've been.

Oh my God, I feel horrible discussing subcultures *_* I know absolutely nothing! I'm sorry...That's sometimes another flaw we beautiful creatures have- we think that oh GODS we know so much, when we don't. But we do. And we think we're crazy, but we're so crazy we think people around us are crazy and maybe, *just maybe* we are the only sane people left and all of the rest of the world are being manipulated and controlled by a giant alien that wants to-.....eh...x_x;;;ooookei, I should definitely eat something before I get online and talk to people...ne...don't kill meh....;_; *runs off and hides under Prof. Snape's desk*....Khamryn-san you're soooo sugoi!*_* Ne, I shall draw you a gift...what would you like?*_*;

Koumori
10-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by hel-chan
Now c'mon...can a prep....or a cheerleader for that matter....be goth??? Someone who's happy-go-lucky and convinced life's a blast? *sigh*....To me, not really. Unfortunately the example I just gave is a true story- cheerleader turned goth.

Yes. Of course they can. How do you know every cheerleader is convinced life's a blast?

As for "Jane Eyre"... the term "gothic" as applied to literature, in an academic sense, generally encompasses popular fiction published in England between the 1760s and early 1810s and characterized by sensational themes and occasionally a hint of the supernatural.

-Koumori, GrannyGoth

khamryn
10-07-2002, 09:42 PM
@@ I'm not gonna reply to these anymore. I don't really wanna get in an arguement with anyone.. u.u;

Mei Lan Chang
10-10-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by hel-chan
Oh My Goth(O_O!!! ye heard that song by Razed in Black btw?O_o; Now c'mon...can a prep....or a cheerleader for that matter....be goth??? Someone who's happy-go-lucky and convinced life's a blast? *sigh*....To me, not really. Unfortunately the example I just gave is a true story- cheerleader turned goth.

I think perhaps you are overgeneralizing much. Why do I think this? Because I was captain of my school's cheer squad.

I really just started this thread because I got the idea from another thread. In truth, if someone calls me a "goth" I get quite annoyed. Being placed into a genre of thought and fashion is somewhat irking to me. Of course I have no control over what people think of me, that's just silly. But I do try not to subscribe to a certain herd of humans. I like people from every social class and "group", and I also dislike perhaps even more from each.

My loosely supported thesis: Calling someone a goth is an overanylization. If someone claims to be a goth, they perhaps are just grasping at the footprints another person they admire has left. Is this bad? No. Everyone needs role models. But on the other hand, just cause someone dresses in black, has pink hair and a piercing on every part of their body (ehem), doesn't mean that they don't love life, their GPA, and *cough* their cheer squad.

Nabeshin
10-16-2002, 08:20 PM
well..if you want to know the origins of Goth...at least in the historical context...

The Goths were originally a tribe in Germany in the 13th or so century (hence the name of a German city/town, Gotha. And when they civilized, their particular style of architechture spread to surrounding areas of Europe. and the Gothic style of architechture was used in the construction of Cathedrals in the 15th century or so (I might be wrong on the era) anyway...</end history lesson>

Ranma Saotome
10-19-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Lovelyangel_81
Huh? what goth style? Ranma-kun

You'll see... ;)

SuthrnBelleChan
10-24-2002, 07:45 AM
:devil: When you search for a color darker than black. :devil:

psythe
11-09-2002, 02:33 PM
When the only white shirt you own is just to go underneath other black shirts

You buy cd's from Cleopatra Records even though you have never heard of the artist

You argue on whether Anne Rice orPoppy Z. Brite has the more realistic view on vampires (saw this one somewhere, cant take credit)

You are willing to spend 6.50 on a pack of cigarettes that match your clothes

Spooky Brew
11-09-2002, 03:34 PM
You know your Goth when:
Your only decoration in your room are the spiderwebs, that are real!
(That sucked...)

psythe
11-09-2002, 04:15 PM
You know who Black Tape for a Blue Girl is.....

and You actually own some of their cd's

die-sama
11-10-2002, 02:26 PM
>>>Your only decoration in your room are the spiderwebs, that are real! >>

Oh my *lol* i dont know if thats a sign ur goth or ur just....dirty? XD lol though sometimes i forget to dust the corners of my room and i get a buildup of spider webs (I HATE spiders) >_<

I dont consider myself goth at -all- but i own just about every Anne Rice novel (including the new one released last week)@_@ but none of whutever Rampling and those scarey Sleeping beauty ones @_@;;

I dont mind dressing up goth or anything but on a regular basis my only colors are black and red though they're not..."goth"
I look pretty much like a "prep" on a regular basis ~_~;;;

Beramode
11-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Um... does anyone here even know what "Goth" actually is/refers to, or are y'all talking about like... "Hot Topic" / teen-angst 'n' makeup type "goths"?

Mara
11-12-2002, 03:23 PM
In response to your comment, Beramode... I personally don't think the American concept of Goth is good. The Japanese concept, the Malice Mizer concept, of Goth is the truest thing I've seen. That's why it bothers me when I wear dark eyeliner and people give me strange looks and say- "are you trying to be Goth or something?" Is there any "real" definition of what Goth is? If so, I don't think it can be defined by Americans, because we have a really warped cultural view of it. That's just my opinon

psythe
11-12-2002, 03:28 PM
I really don't think this thread should be taken in complete 100% seriousness either...

psythe
11-12-2002, 03:30 PM
The jokes are probably made by people that are fans of the "goth" sub culture anyway...

It's good not to take ones self to seriously sometimes.

Koumori
11-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Beramode
Um... does anyone here even know what "Goth" actually is/refers to, or are y'all talking about like... "Hot Topic" / teen-angst 'n' makeup type "goths"?

Read some of the earlier posts in this thread if that's an argument you want to get into.

Beramode
11-13-2002, 11:19 AM
Not really. I was just curious, since every post I saw was about getting the style of fashion that is regarded by Americans (perhaps other cultures? I have no idea what the international idea of "Gothic" is) as Goth, without any mention of the actual ideals, views held, etc.

I find this interesting because with how things are, sometimes I wonder if it's time for the group (those that would be held as 'true' Goth, whatever that may be; I have some idea but not a terribly educated one) to identify under another name, since the one they currently hold is synonymous to most of the world with something else? Then again, that particular group seems to not like being identified specifically as such anyway...

avagoyle
11-13-2002, 05:01 PM
I find this interesting because with how things are, sometimes I wonder if it's time for the group (those that would be held as 'true' Goth, whatever that may be; I have some idea but not a terribly educated one) to identify under another name, since the one they currently hold is synonymous to most of the world with something else? Then again, that particular group seems to not like being identified specifically as such anyway...

"goth" has changed so much from what it originally was... remember when "alternative" music really was alternative? but i disgress....

for those of who you are interested, a little history of the culture of goths:

The original goths were east germanic peoples who overthrew the roman empire and dominated most of europe for several centuries.. (the ones in spain and even france were later overthrown by the muslims).

Gothic architecture was the opposite of roman. While roman was dark, oppressive, round and small, gothic buildings are tall, filled with windows and carved and decorated to be ridiculous. Gothic architecture represented the move from internal fear to openness to God and to others. It represented the begining of an age of spirituality. I find it a great irony that a lot of the modern day "goth" movement is focused on things dark and interal and gloomy, while the original gothic architecture served the exact opposite purpose.

Around 1840, there was a revival in gothic architecure.

::fastforward to modern time::

Goth was a subclassification of punk that began in the late 70s and early 80s. Two early bands indentifing themselves as "goth" are:

Joy Divison
http://www.lwtua.free-online.co.uk/shadowplay/joyd.html

The Banshees.
http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/

This style of music was said to go in opposition to bright colors found in the disco music. The lyrics were full of anger and hatred. The fans became interested in writers such as Anne Rice and Bram Stroker, and there was a victorian gothic revival.

A huge problem with the "goth" movement however, is that there are so many different "types" of goths. Those who dress in black, those who don't, those who like vampires, those who think they are silly/stupid, etc.

Also, a lot of the goths hate/look at each other with scorn.

I am sure that there is a lot more to it than that, this is the little that I personally know. @___@;;; I am a huge fan of history, so I could tell you all about the historical goths, but really, I know nothing about modern goths. If anyone knows of any good websites or anything, I would be glad to see them. ^^

Personally, I detest labels and my interests are such that I don't really fit into any either. ^^;; I can understand why some "original goths" would get annoyed that 15-year-olds put on white makeup with black eyeliner and call themselves "goths", but at the same time, it is a subculture and there does need to be a name for it.

Mei Lan Chang
11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
I was referring specifically to trendy goths. The "Goth in a bag" which can be purchased at you local Hot Topic. This thread was meant to be humorous and hopefully not taken to heart.

Your cold, black heart dripping with death. -sells some T-Shirts-

Hungryjack
11-13-2002, 05:30 PM
The goths I think Mei Lan Chang is making fun of are the goths that were featured in SNL's "Goth Talk"

My name is Azrael Abyss. I'm the prince of sorrow!

avagoyle
11-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Hungryjack
My name is Azrael Abyss. I'm the prince of sorrow!

heh... my fiance wants to name our daughter Samael. ^^;;;;;

avagoyle
11-13-2002, 05:50 PM
ah! i realized i forgot an important part...

for those wondering why the term "goth" is used, it's because a guy named Walpole wrote a store in the late 1800s called "The Castle of Otranto, a Gothic Story". He ment Gothic as in medieval, but the novel was all gloomy and dark and people began to associate "goth" with dark stuff. ^^;

Beramode
11-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Mei Lin: Goth in a bag? That's a new one for me. :P I and my friends usually just refer to them as "Goff" or Hot Topic goths, the same way we refer to the noobie anime fans as Blockbuster Ninja (inside joke; it's a reference to Ninja Scroll, which was the introduction to anime for most of these "Blockbuster Ninja" a few years ago).

Hungryjack
11-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey, you could do worse than Ninja Scroll. I happened to like it. Don't know about where you live, but every Blockbuster down here in Texas seems to have (among other things) Robot Carnival and there's always a sun-faded copy of Wrath of the Ninja on the shelf as well.

Mei Lan Chang
11-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Hahhaa, no really! They sell these little bags at Hot Topic that is all you need to look like a depressed little rebel. You can also buy some matching missized immitation leather butt covers! However, you will never convince me that it's underwear. ^___^

Hungryjack
11-14-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
They sell these little bags at Hot Topic that is all you need to look like a depressed little rebel.

Prefab Angst

psythe
11-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Angst in a Bag?

Hungryjack
11-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by psyth3
You know who Black Tape for a Blue Girl is.....

and You actually own some of their cd's

heh heh hey wait a minute!

Mei Lan Chang
11-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Prefab Angst

Eh?:confused:

Hungryjack
11-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
Eh?:confused:

Prefab Angst. They took something and corporatized it. Can't you just picture some suit in a board room coming up with the idea of Goth-in-a-bag based on a sales report of sales figures.

"Hmm, according to these figures, it looks like the black goth eyeliner and black leather platform boots are popular with the female 12-18 group, as are the silver cross earrings. If we group these items together, we can increase profits by combining successful elements of our Hot Topic goth line."

It's a packaged product based on the buying patterns of the people who shop at Hot Topic. Therefore, you have Prefab Angst. It's clean, shiny, corporate, and as un-goth as you can get, yet it must be goth because it says so right on the box!

Or maybe my imagination is roaming too free.

Beramode
11-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Heh.. prepackaged angst?

For those of you that know guitars...

[10:24pm] <NineSpiral> they should release a gothic ES-335. i'd buy one in a second.
[22:25] <shiki> oh, and it doesn't have the pickguard or anything
[10:25pm] <SuupaJayce> do Gothic guitars come with their own angst and despair?
[10:25pm] <JFelix> They come with razor blades and jack daniels.
[22:25] <shiki> and a noose.
[10:26pm] <NineSpiral> i think the newer ones are packaged with absinthe.

psythe
11-15-2002, 08:26 AM
heh heh hey wait a minute!

No worries! I love Black Tape!!:thumbsup:

psythe
11-15-2002, 08:26 AM
Heh.. prepackaged angst?

For those of you that know guitars...

[10:24pm] <NineSpiral> they should release a gothic ES-335. i'd buy one in a second.
[22:25] <shiki> oh, and it doesn't have the pickguard or anything
[10:25pm] <SuupaJayce> do Gothic guitars come with their own angst and despair?
[10:25pm] <JFelix> They come with razor blades and jack daniels.
[22:25] <shiki> and a noose.
[10:26pm] <NineSpiral> i think the newer ones are packaged with absinthe.

ROFL!! XD!!!

Mei Lan Chang
11-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Well hell, if you can sell the Taco Bell dog merchandise you can sell anything.

SohjiroX
11-15-2002, 06:04 PM
You know if you are goth when you heard of Crushadow or seen them.

You know if you are goth when you sleep in more and more to the point that you only wear white and black to try and feel like you are awake.

You know your goth when you work at a costume store and dress in anything that looks like it would make a custome ask twice if you work there.

Koumori
11-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by SohjiroX
You know if you are goth when you heard of Crushadow or seen them.

The Cruxshadows?

DancingVampire
11-18-2002, 09:41 PM
I dont have any thing against HT or any thing but I truely lean towards the more classic older time period goth Im not the big fishnet and leather ^^;

I also stand firmly against much smoking and drugs that has come into not only the gothic culture but the americain public (sorry OT >_<)

Well back at the ranch...
I see a lot of baby bats latley but some baby bats do grow up so lets hope that many will mature and make great tributes to the culture ^_^

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Remember those old Tamagatchi?

Well now there is...

TOMAGOTHI!
http://charon.gothic.net/~luvcraft/tamagothi/tamagothi.html

There is a Visigoth in there, he's a jrock fan ^.^

Also check out Punkémon
http://charon.gothic.net/~luvcraft/punkemon/index.html

The attack for Visigoth is HILARIOUS!!! Gender Confusion!

chibi-dj
11-24-2002, 11:43 PM
i live for thrift stores......it IS like treasure hunting. Ya dig around and sometimes you find a tresure! im not goth, but i own allota black clothes and others that i have "altered" with safty pins, studs, patches, ect. ........so i guess i fall under punk? O.o;;;
i got a pair of pantz that i sewed bells allover, so it makes music when i walk! i like bells......^_^

SuthrnBelleChan
11-25-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by DancingVampire
I dont have any thing against HT or any thing but I truely lean towards the more classic older time period goth Im not the big fishnet and leather ^^;

I also stand firmly against much smoking and drugs that has come into not only the gothic culture but the americain public (sorry OT >_<)

I totally agree! No drugs or smoking, and the victorian and EGL goth is my type of thing. That's true goth in my opinion. The American opinion of goth is that you must wear leather/fishnet/PVC clothing and worship satan and etc. etc. Old time period goth is the best ^^ (hope i haven't offended anyone -.- gomen ne sai!)

Cyber Wolf
11-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah, the victorian stuff is a lot more appealing, more refined than... druggy-looking I guess.

SuthrnBelleChan
11-25-2002, 11:16 PM
That too. I dunno where America suddenly turned gothic into DOminatrix....

Cyber Wolf
11-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Heh, people have a habit of playing around with things to fit there means. Like, rap for instance...

SuthrnBelleChan
11-26-2002, 07:29 AM
Exactly, something gone in the opposite direction of its originality. The thing I hate about being gothic though is as soon as people see me they call me a devil worshiper! It's like "hello people i'm a christian!" And i have some people calling me "Queen Victoria" because i'm EGL. People can be so narrow-minded about other types of people

BlueLady
11-26-2002, 11:37 AM
when parties mean corsets and dangeriously high boots.
or when you're at the salon for two hours deciding betwwen the purple blue-black or the blue-black dyes.

anime~prince
11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
himemiya i actually had my friends not recognize me in colours it was halaious

Cyber Wolf
11-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SuthrnBelleChan
Exactly, something gone in the opposite direction of its originality. The thing I hate about being gothic though is as soon as people see me they call me a devil worshiper! It's like "hello people i'm a christian!" And i have some people calling me "Queen Victoria" because i'm EGL. People can be so narrow-minded about other types of people

Yep, yep. People=stupid. Well, 9 times out of 10.

Koumori
11-26-2002, 11:11 PM
What's wrong with being Queen Victoria?

SuthrnBelleChan
11-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Lol nothing wrong with being queen victoria, but something wrong with the constant despising sarcastic "Queeeeeeeen Victooooooriaaaaaaaaa" ya know? And People are stupid 9/10. It's annoying how people fear what they dn't understand. It' very sad.

Koumori
11-27-2002, 08:03 AM
So just act like a queen and sail on by. I doubt they're afraid of you, by the way.

DancingVampire
11-27-2002, 08:09 AM
what is really amusing to sit sit back and watch , is when its a large con and every on walks to the same area to eat (aka otakon) and watching peoples reactions is priceless!

SuthrnBelleChan
11-27-2002, 09:09 AM
I meant fear as in they don't understand so they make fun of it. My school is interesting, there are people afraid of me. They all think i'm a witch and i'll put a curse on them. It's odd. And dancing vampire yes! that is so much fun to do that!

Koumori
11-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I know. I went to high school once. Let 'em.

KaitouKurogo
12-18-2002, 11:40 AM
The entire Goth Trend thing has been growing very thin on my part, mainly because of many bad experiences in my time with it all. Let it be stated for the record that I am not Goth. I don't claim to be Goth, try to be Goth, or want to be Goth. I readilly deny any and all associations to the Goth subculture.

I dress in all black all the time. Every day for the past eight or nine years, I've worn nothing but black and I've even gotten a few leather trench and duster coats in the recent years. I have quite long hair that almost reaches the middle of my back. Regardless of all this, I do my best to keep a clean, well-mannered look about myself.

Of course I know that, no matter how much I deny it, my choice of style is what many others see as Goth. It's very annoying. People do stay away from me in large groups, but it's not all that fun and games. I was at a burger house with my friends the other day and there were some little tots playing with the junk from those quarter machines. One boy lost his superball and I brought it back to him. Soon as I handed it to him, his mother snatched him up and told me that, and I quote, she didn't want her child "near filthy Satanist Goths". That really hurt!

I'm constantly being harassed, shouted at, and even attacked. My friends, who don't look a thing like Goths, and I have had glass bottles, rocks, and even dead animals thrown at us from passing cars on the streets.

I certainly hope nobody else has these sort of problems, as I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Koumori
12-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Well, then have you considered wearing something else?

twentystitches
12-18-2002, 07:00 PM
I've never really understood the whole Hot Topic hate thing. The points everyone made do make sense, and yea, people that just dress like a 'goth' because it's seen as hip or new are vaguely annoying, though I don't understand the hate of the store itself. ^^;; The workers there are kinda creepy though, I've never seen so many cheery ladies with pink/blue/green mowhawks before. They're like *overly* happy.

Personally I love the pants they have there. But eh, to everyone their own opinion.

I don't think I fit into any sterotype, because I usually just roll out of bed and grab things. ^^;; I mix and match, that's fun.

There aren't alot of goths around more school and home, if you have to sterotype the people you would probably get preps and then nerds and that's it. So, I'm sure I'll stand out when I finally get my lolita outfit made.

Sterotypes are weird...but on the other hand even though they completely ignore the indivual they can be useful. --;; Ah, sorry if none of this makes sense. I'm kinda out of it.

EnvyNight
06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi… I’m kind of new here…and I as matter a fact joined because of this treat… I like it and I want to say what I think and what I know…about Goth

Goth is not only about cloth it’s more about music and also what kind of "unusual things" you like, its kind of mark you. To be Goth you do not need any special cloth or anything in fact you can dress "normal" and still be Goth... Goth is more like/has become a culture. You do not need to say that you are not Goth or that you are Goth to be classified as Goth.

It's all about music as it is you own feelings/thinks for things... Like most/all Goth’s speaks/thinks about death, just as much as they very well want to kill them self. Trough that is true BUT they never kill them self, they more kind of thinking to do so... its might not be true for you but it doesn’t mean that you are not a Goth.

Goth dose "like/are into poetry", are more creative-like and as I said Goth often think/speaks of death...In a way that makes people get scared and that what I think makes people are scared by Goth’s... also about it’s reputation that all Goth are “bad child hooded” that worship the devil. Goth usual calls “Fallen Angel’s or Angel’s inside the dark” I know a site that explain it all… but I’m afraid I have lost that site’s address… sorry…it would have explain a lot of what I’m talking about.

And about cheerleaders being Goth, sure they can but not by "dressing like Goth" and like "Goth music". I see it as a Goth-wannabe... but that’s my opinion. And that the same to have a bad childhood, you do not need a bad childhood to be Goth...Common... true you might have to have some kind of experience, which I agree with but it’s not just about that...it kind of, go deeper then that.

What’s makes you to a Goth? The true/right/straight answer would be MUSIC. There are of course much more then just music but that comes kind of with your own experience …

Well…I hope I don’t have upset anyone if I have I’m sorry and I have to go to bed right now… it late, LoL, 2 at night here right now… I just wanted to have this said before…sleeeeeeepy… well bye for now Z Z z z…

LagunaLoire
06-14-2006, 09:46 PM
well... im in a possition really similar to you, KaitouKurogo...
dress in black (since a long long time), long hair, etc... plus... im really... really pale..... (seriously)...
people just like to asume you are something and thats kinda anoying, agreed.
i am also discriminated, (obviously), but only for close-minded people that doesnt like the way i look, think, etc... but thats normal... some people cant accept that not everything is the way they whant it to be...

BTW... try to imagine the reaction of the people when they see my nails (its just funny)... look at my avatar :D... (i used to have them longer... but they broked and thats all i was able to save...), and yes, they are real...

just be yourself... nothing more... dont feel bad because someone has a wrong perspective about you or doesnt like how you look, enjoy the way you are and the way you want to be. if you whant to change do it for yourself, not for them.

mikcy
06-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Why do people keep bumping so many old threads? ;_;

m_a_n_a
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I know thisis a joke and whatnot, but still...

Gothic isn't a state of mind like the typical stereotype today is saying it is. It was (is) a period of time, type of architecture, style of clothes, etc...

I lot of people I know/have seen/are associated with call those kind of clothes that they sell at Hot Topic gothic. You know, like those ridiculously baggy black pants with all the belts and chains? Those are NOT gothic! I absolutley HATE the modernized "Gothic" fashion. It's nothing like the fashion was in the Gothic period, the only similarity is that the majority of is was black!

...Just thought I'd clear that up... For my own sake. :crest:

Merchant
06-14-2006, 11:58 PM
The styles worn back in that period were quite a beautiful thing and personally I wear all black and have done so for the past few years but basically because I like the color black plain and simple. I personally think no matter how you dress wether it's colors or just all black that for some they are goth at heart. I do listen to a lot of music that could be considered what goth kids listen to but as far as dress and mannerisms and so forth that was a time called high school.