PDA

View Full Version : Saiyan Armor & Scout eye thing ?

Yo-Yo
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey ya ! 8D

I've been planning to do saiyan armor from Dragon Ball Z. My brother used to be completely obsessed with this anime, but he hates anime more than anything and ridicules my cosplay a lot.. I wanted to see what he'd say to this. ;D Rotfl

I'm a bit confused on the detailing of this, though. Any help on making the armor from wonderflex, how many pieces to use and whatnot?

I'm also completely baffled on the scouter eye thing for reading power levels.. Halp. =']

Thank y'all! You've pulled me through so much, I got my first armor done with your help! Marth is in my progress pictures !

Whoopsie, almost forgot the picture ! XD; (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/puu__/?action=view&current=vegeta-1.png)

chris-chan
04-09-2008, 09:44 PM
thatd be helpful for my tommy cosplay (white ranger from mighty morphin power rangers tommy) and where did you find a tutorial for wonderflex, and where can i find it? ive never used anything like it before, hell, i used bondo for the first time today! and if i cant make it with wonderflex (the chest protector) than im thinking of cardboard and fiberglass. (sorry for the long post)

saiyamanmasenko
04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
well, here's the advice I was given for the scouter

"well the scouter is completly made with carton... first u cut 2 equal pieces and make some props to support the pieces in the right distance. use some glue to fix it. then take paper to make a smooth surface. dont forget a hole for ur ear ^^
at least paint it with white color and use a clear lack or something that will save ur scouter by water.
then take a transperent film and a waterproof pen and color it. put it in ur scouter. it will be ur lens.
now ur scouter is ready^^ enjoy^^"

If that doesn't make sense, basically just get some cardboard and mold it into the shape of the scouter, attach some paper to the inside, cut a hole for your ear to rest on, and attach a lens to the cardboard front. it turns out a lot better than you think. also, if you can find some colored sunglasses to use for the lens, it helps.

Yo-Yo
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Humm... :'/ I didn't quite get that.

I'm also afraid my ear wouldn't support it very well, which was my main problem.....

@Chris-chan->
There's a wonderflex somewhere on this forum. >.> I'll see if I can get it. The first post has a link to a FAQ, but really, wonderflex is very beginner-friendly. My Marth armor was a total shot in the dark, and I think it looks magnifique. XD
Basically, you need gesso and a sanding sponge, plus the paint and wonderflex obviously to make armor. they're very simple steps. the hard part is making the pattern and shaping it right.
Here's the Wonderflex Thread ! (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=60768)
You buy it at cosplaysupplies.com for a very good price. =']

chris-chan
04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
thanks. about how long does it take to ship? i need a sheet or two (dont know how much yet) in less than a month (jacon is may 16th-18th, and i want to finish my costume by then).

Yo-Yo
04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
It doesn't take long, it'll certainly be there within a week or two. Still, wonderflex armor is very time consuming to make, and skipping a single coat of something or any step is a big no-no. My armor suffered because I neglected to put on a coat or two more of gesso. *0*

I wanted to go to JACON, too... >.> XD; but Imma see Avenue Q

saiyamanmasenko
04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Humm... :'/ I didn't quite get that.

I'm also afraid my ear wouldn't support it very well, which was my main problem.....

well, the person I got the instructions from doesn't speak english perfectly well. It probably won't stay on perfectly, but it's amazingly light and surprisingly sturdy, lol.

Yo-Yo
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Ah, I see. :0 I'll experiment with that~

I came up with an idea for the armor--
I could do one part like this-> Underneath (http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc11/DarkSonicBoy/sprite37c.gif)

And one part with a seperate breastplate and the shoulder blades that could go on over it...

But Idfk if that'd work. >.<;;

chris-chan
04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
thing is, that looks almost 100% identical to tommys chest plate.
and thats realyl good news, cant i cant wait long. and ive never been to jacon, so i hope i have fun, plus were celebrating my friends birthday there. are you going to afo? and bondo is very time consuming as well, and a bitch to get as close to perfectly round on an object that is no where near perfectly round, and it weighs it done a good amount. i love it though. a lot of fun to work with (i know it sounds stupid because of the fumes and all the sanding, but i really find it fun) ill probably find something else to bondo, maybe a sword or something.

Yo-Yo
04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never heard of bondo. What does it look like, how do you use it? :/

I'm going to the two Supercons, Yasumicon, and possibly chibi-Pa.

My Saiyan armor may be done by next year, though, this year is cramped since Marth is such a difficult character, and Viral will be quite an adventure.. Not to mention pleating pants for Hanatarou. @___e

chris-chan
04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
bondo is a body filler mainly used for automotive applications. it can be used for anything really. its heavy though. it weighed down my cardboard by a good amount, but it is very sturdy. it comes ina can, and you have to add hardener to the mixture to make it activate, then you have a 3-4 minute time window. if you want something strong and sturdy and is easy to work with (it takes a little while to figure it out, on my second application i had it figured out, so its pretty easy to use) use it. it costs about $24 for the gallon can, trust me, get the gallon. i have have a quart on the top of my helmet, and im still not done with the helmet (actually gonna switch to wire mesh instead of cardboard because my cardboard one sucks), plus the quart costs $10, so its more cost effective to get the gallon. and make sure you get sandpaper when you get it, and some cheap spatulas. the container says to use 80 grit sandpaper, then increase to 400 after a while, but i went with 60 grit, and it took it right off. also, youre going to want to wear safety glasses and a mask when you are sanding, and a mask when you are applying it. thats pretty much all i can tell you. ive only used it a little bit, so im no professional.

Yo-Yo
04-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Alright, that sounds pretty rad. :0
I'm gonna try that out.

chris-chan
04-12-2008, 10:18 PM
go for it, and good luck. with my mmpr cosplay, im testing a lot of diffrent methods of doing things. i figure it will help me decide which i like better, what i need to work on, plus, ill have a pretty kick ass costume in the end. i was thinking of fiberglass for the chest protector, and i was thinking of chicken wire and papermache and fiberglass for the helmet (still on te list) but right now i found a bike helmet that, once the pieces are extended, will looks prety darn close to a mmpr helmet, then theres this realyl cool method of using resin and a mold, but for the master mold, you have to make it out of clay, which means carving it, and i dont think id do too good with clay, so thats later on the list, pretty much a last ditch effort.

Yo-Yo
04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I see. :0 I'm new to armor making, and I want to learn a lot of techniques for commissioning over the summer. I have the talent, I think, and if I really try, I'll be able to make anything. ='] I'm not the kind to charge too much, either.

But still... My saiyan armor is also going to be for my portfolio... >.>; I need to see how exactly to make it..
.______. Lulz
I'm still trying to figure out the scouter, too, maybe some air dry clay over some wire and something to make the base stick to the side of my head..

chris-chan
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
got a ref pic of the scouter? (i never liked db, so i dont know what it looks like) and i dont plan on doing comissions. its not my kind of thing. i probably could for somethings, but im one of those guys who believes in DIY. im good at sewing though, i actualyl had one guy tell me my orgy coat (this first thing i ever machine sewed) looked liked it was commisioned from a professional site. and im new to armor making too, so im learning as i go. right now im working on my fifth prototype for my helmet, and this one is the cheapest by a whole lot. i tried a helmet with mesh wire, and that didnt work too well, ive also tried featherweights helmet tutorial about three or four times, and now im working on using paper mache and a ballon, and it seems to be the best so far. i plan on later on doing a a clay mold and making a resin helmet later, but thats kindave pricey, so thats gonna be this summer or later.

Yo-Yo
04-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Ooh, wowies. :0 You're sounding like you really know what you're doing! I'd like to see some pictures of things you've done.

I updated my first post with the armor&scouter. I posted again with an idea that can make it like I can wear the bottom part and the part with shoulderblades without making them look detached. i'm not completely sure, though.

As for me, I'm still a n00b. :'] I'm doing things waaay out of my league and trying to perfect them, and I'm so proud of my Marth armor.. I've got natural talent, I think. I had to use a lap to heat it, too, and I didn't use a mold.

I'm sort of lost on helmet patterning. :x Good thing I'm not thinking of making any helmets in the near future, lulz

As for commissioning, I prefer DIY, but there are others who are too new to get the costume they really want and there need to be more legit commissioners out there.. I've gotten scammed twice. I commission sometimes, but i learn from them. Normally when I've got no time to make something, though. Marth will be my first totally self-made costume. ^0^
My family's pretty poor, so cosplay is costing a fortune. My mom refuses to buy more wonderflex until I sell at least one costume, LOL, so I'm doing the saiyan armor for a portfolio and experience, as well. We can do much better than commissions I've gotten, so since commissions are well-paying, we definitely see cosplay as a great opportunity to start saving for college nessescities&such[sp?]. I'm only 14, and I ask for expensive thingss.. D':

chris-chan
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
the scouter doesnt look like itd be too difficult. luckily its got flat edges and nothings round, i find that to be the hardest part on some things. as for making it, real sheap way would be some cardboard and hotglue for the piece that goes around the ear, or cardstock and hotglue. for the lense, you can take some plastic from a bottle and heat it up to flatten it out (unless its already flat) and maybe srpay it with some sort of paint. i know they have candy paints for rc car bodies (candy is see through and must have a color underneath to make it solid), so that might work.
and i havent made much, just spend a lot of time on here and youtube researching diffrent methods. my power rangers cosplay is mainly for experience as well. i actually had to get a job to afford cosplay, which didnt help that i was working at a paintball field and i love to paintball, so i was taking money from one job (that paid very poorly due to hours able to work [only open weekends] and low pay) to support two hobbies, and pay for gas for a car. i can remember so many times just drafting off of a 18 wheeler just to make it home without dying on the road. i finally got a job at target making above minimum wage, but i dont work much, so i still get paid very little. cosplay is very expensive, and im very upset that i had to give up paintballing (im finally admiting defeat because i havent played in almost a year) just so i can work and cosplay, but ill get back into it. but my parents told me straight up that the only way theyll put money into it is if im in the middle of a project and run out of money to use, then theyll give me an advance and ill have to pay them back.
and my paper mache is starting to get very annoying. i had one ballon fly away and land on the one stick on 2.4 acres of land and pop, then i had a layer of cardboard on my second ballon, and because i let it hang to dry so that it doesnt get damaged, it balloned at the end, and when the air went back into place, it cracked the paper mache, then the ballon rolled over and poped, so i had to insert another ballon into there, and add a second layer of paper mache, not to mention fix the crack, and now it has caved in at places, so im gonna have to start a whole new ballon tomorrow. its a pain mainly because it takes way too long to dry.

jediknight36
06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
So I'm looking at making Nappa's armor. Any luck with the wonderflex? What is a good way to make the mold?