PDA

View Full Version : Current list of panels & open times.

Tsukasa_1
04-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone,
Thought I would give the heads up on what panels we have this year and what openings there are for hosting a panel. If you would like to host a panel or discussion on one of your favorite Anime series let us know!

Additionally we are looking for people who can host game show type games in any of the open hours listed below. We will provide prizing for any contests hosted.

Also, you can request to have your panel in the dining room if the ideal time slot you wanted has been taken-up in the panel room.

Complete panel list and descriptions have been posted (my last post of this thread). The schedule of events below are out dated, the final schedule will be posted online early next week.

List of panels
--------------

Dining Hall Events:
* Note: Food will be served in the dining room for a greater portion
of Northern Anime Festival. Check our website closer to the event
for a menu of food items that can be purchased.

[U]Saturday:

9:00 AM to 10:00 AM -> [open]
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM -> Improv with the 404's
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM -> Common Hour (No programming)
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM -> Ouran Host Club presents NAF Cafe.
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM -> [open]
5:00 PM to 6:00 PM -> [open]
6:00 PM to 7:00 PM -> [open]

Sunday:

10:00 AM to 12:00 PM -> Improv Hour
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM -> Common Hour (NP)
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM -> Ouran Host Club presents NAF Cafe.
2:30 PM to 3:30 PM -> Awards Presentation
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM -> 5th year celebration!

Panel Room events:

Saturday:

9:00 AM to 10:00 AM - Open
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM - Sat. morning cartoons discussion
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Video Games and Technology
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM - AMV's / Common Hour
1:00 PM to 2:00 PM - Weapon Design
2:00 PM to 3:00 PM - Basics of Animation
3:00 PM to 5:00 PM - JRock Panel
5:15 PM to 6:15 PM - Ouran Host Club Discussion panel.
7:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Open
8:00 PM to 9:00 PM - Open
9:00 PM to 10:00 PM - Open
10:00 PM to 11:00 PM - Anime Pictionary
11:00 PM to 12:00 AM - Open
12:00 AM to 8:00 AM - Overnight videos

Sunday: (Booked Solid)

8:00 AM to 9:00 AM - Room setup.
9:00 AM to 10:00 AM - Pokemon: How to catch them all
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM - Sub Vs Dub.
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Next Gen, Animation
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM - AMV's / Common Hour
1:00 PM to 2:00 PM - Learning to draw Anime
2:00 PM to 3:30 PM - Gothic and Lolita panel
3:45 PM to 4:50 PM - Armour Design
5:00 PM to 6:00 PM - Closing / Feedback

Lossien
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Is there any chance that me and my sister can host a panel about cosplaying and costuming? I'm in fashion design at college and make all of the costumes for our cosplay group - and have been doing so for a number of years. I also work at Fabricland, so a lot of my job is helping people sew.

We'd love to do it at any time - so long as we can make the Host Club event. We were thinking 10-11 on either day, since my sister has volunteered to change into a number of costume I've made to illustrate different points and aspects of costuming. We are also planning on entering the masquerade/skit competition.

This is one of our favourite cons, and we'd love to be more involved.

Tsukasa_1
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey, I don't see an issue ^_^ let us know in your panel description part of the application that you want to be able to attend the Host Club Event(s).

http://www.northernanime.ca/?mod=form&form=panels

box of doom
04-23-2008, 11:06 PM
@.@ both days? I thought it was just gonna be Sunday.....

(If you want it both days I'd be up for it personally.... dunno about others... @.@)

Also: I haven't gotten confirmations for... most of the panels I submitted stuff for, but i notice some of them are up here. I'm just wondering what that means one way or another. @.@

TotoToshiya
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey wait, didnt I sign up for 2 panels?

edit: yes, I was approved to host Gothic and Lolita panel sunday at 2pm to 3:30pm

Tsukasa_1
04-25-2008, 11:12 PM
... Wait a minute ... did I not schedule you into the schedule already though and you got the approval emails that show I did .... hmmm ...

Fixed, my error i read the data wrong lol ... sorry!

box of doom
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
The only panel I've been confirmed over email for is the improv one. The hosting and "are you doing other panels" was asked about... but I've received no emails about any panels since I sent the rest of my apps in a week ago. @.@

Tsukasa_1
04-26-2008, 08:26 AM
You will have to talk to Quinn Chapman about that... TotoToshiya panel was submitted when Quinn was in the process of moving and didn't have Internet access. So I temporarily handled the panel applications...

box of doom
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Will do. Thanks. ^^

Tsukasa_1
04-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I do have an idea to toss your way though Box_of_doom, and it relates to another hosting event on Sunday but we'll provide the cake for it lol ...

box of doom
04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm all ears. :D

Tsukasa_1
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, you see it NAFs 5th anniversary coming up and we wanted to have a special party at the end of the day Sunday, and of course we would have cake and everything for it and having hosting involved with the celebration would be awesome... heck ... if you wanted to make it a "Theme" party like in the series that would even be better ...

Let me know what you think and we can arrange something.

Pharasight
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, confiremd.
We'll be doing a panel called
"Pokemon: How to catch them all"
on Sunday 10:00-11:00

I sent you a PM yesterday, but just in case you didn't receive it...

box of doom
04-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I talked that over with two of my friends who are also going to be doing Host Club, and they're up for it, though it depends on what exactly you have in mind, once again. Also, if enough people are interested in doing it -- would you want everyone who wants to, or more like... one complete host club?

Also... there's probably a master list around or something so it's probably been adjusted, but I think i was offered the same time as Pharasight for a panel. @.@ Which now that I look at again, I actually do anyway. *emails Quinn again to be sure*

(Also, on the list, it's "improv", not "improve".)

Tsukasa_1
04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
LoL, thats what happens when I post at 1am lol

anyways, you are right, I had a look at the schedule to-date and you are confirmed to be in the panel room for Sunday, 10-11 AM Box_of_doom. So I am going to have to push Pharasight panel request back one hour (9:00 AM to 10 AM) if that's is okay with you Pharasight?

Oh and about the celebration portion, It would be good if the entire club was there. Then it could possible be chalked off as a "Host Club" hosted celebration event ^^

box of doom
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
...that still doesn't work for me, as it overlaps with the improv "hour" (which is two hours... XD).

But would you want one host club (aka 7 of us?) or anyone who wanted to come be part of it (aka like the other hosting events would be).
I'm still hoping that we'll have a full host club to begin with... our Mori is still waiting to see if she can make it for sure, and our Kyouya is willing to be Mori as needed (as she was last year), but then we'd be Kyouya-less, and Kyouya is kinda... probably a more noticable absence than Mori. ^^;

Also: there's now a half-hour overlap between awards ceremony and host club. @.@

Tsukasa_1
04-27-2008, 09:27 PM
The awards part ... I don't even know why its in there as my department didn't request it this year (and it wasn't that long of a time slot last year to begin with lol), so don't worry about that part hehe ... however, I am sure Quinn will fix that part up, as things can be moved into the dining room during certain times to accommodate schedule conflicts.

In in regards to the full host club. It would be nice just to have one set of host club members than it would look formal, but I wont argue if there is duplicate ^^.

box of doom
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I'll see what I can do then. ^_~

Tsukasa_1
04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I was notified of a change and have updated the schedule.

box of doom
04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Out of curiosity, is it known when the masq will be this year? *is hoping to be able to go*

Tsukasa_1
04-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Right now its scheduled in at 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM Saturday. Greenroom access is at 5:00 PM. (Just reading for the schedule I have, don't think it will change ... )

ky--Ice--
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
When does Panel regestration end? I was considering doing an 'Anime Jeopordy' if I had some help.

(Also, on the list, it's "improv", not "improve".)

LMAO. My old drama teacher made that mistake too.

Tsukasa_1
05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Everything is fully cut-off (pre-reg/panels/AA reg) on Friday, May 30th 2008. Panel wise, the cut-off may occur sooner because of the limited space and how fast it is filling up. If all the spots fill up before the cut-off there will be a waiting list for those that are submitted after.

Pharasight
05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Sure thing, that is no problem with me. As long it is on Sunday, ^^;;.

I can't wait to see your hosting this year! (to BoxOfDoom)

Tsukasa_1
05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
update

TotoToshiya
05-30-2008, 09:53 PM
mm I hope my friend can help DJ the dance. He is a good dj.

Tsukasa_1
06-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Basics of Animation

Learn the basics behind animation with no one else but Les Major, the lead animator for Darkain Arts. He will be going through with you all the basics behind animation and will be sharing with you someone his techniques he uses in animation.

Sub vs Dub

SUB vs. DUB. The ultimate debt between the Otaku of the western world. Come, discuss and debate which is better in the community as a whole.

Learning to Draw Anime

This one hour panel will give anime fans a chance to learn some of the simple anime drawings....whether is someone's face, body, or even an animal. Will bring pencils with erasers and printer paper for this event. Will use a blackboard to draw the lines and shapes needed to create simple anime characters.

404's Improv workshop

Ever had a burning question to ask the 404s? How DO they come up with this stuff? How did they get started with improv? Just how many different kinds of improv games are there? How can improv help YOU impress that cute girl/guy you're too shy to talk to at your next box social? All these answers and more, at the 404s improv workshop.

Video Games and Technology

There will be a question(s) period also, where questions such as "What will games and technology be like in the future?" will be asked and awnsered, hopefully. We'll also have a discussion about everyones favorite games, and FPS's. If we have time left, we'll talk about anime and other things. Hope to see you all there, it's going to be a blast!"

Darkain Arts Animation: Next Gen

Everyone is going next gen, and even animators are no exception. Darkain Arts is now using a detailed shading system with their beautiful new character models, designed by Brandon Newton a member of the Tribes mod community. Come see a new future for the Darkain Arts stories you love, and the more efficient way they're using to tell the stories you've been eager to see come to life.

JRock Panel

The panel is going to be a discussion of the oh so popular Japanese Rock music. Discussing from the most recent band get togethers to the most recent band break ups. Will be briefly going through most popular bands and what they are up to in terms of tour dates. Will be discussing new albums releases, movies bands or solo artists have been in, even video games they have been in.

Weapon Design and Manufacture

Guns. Swords. Big thingies that anime characters carry around that are just WAY too impractical. This panel will cover the basics of weapon design, material selection, manufacturing methods and finishing touches for anyone interested in building weaponry for show - be it for cosplay, or for general display. Topics covered will include "dummy" props, "hero" props and functional props, prop safety, and how to make them.

Slice of Life: Enjoy and Relax!

For this panel, I plan to introduce, show and discuss 2 animes, Nodame Cantabile, and Honey and Clover. The purpose of this panel is to inform the audience who may or may not know of these animes to explore top-rated non-mainstream animes which relate to slice of life.
I will first introduce each anime one by one, talk about the anime, what it's about, then do a viewing of the first episode.
After the first episode, I will discuss the anime with people who have just watched it, as well as people who have watched it before and want to discuss further. The introduction will come first, and that will take approximately 4 minutes, then the viewing will take up another 23 minutes, afterwards, there will be 13 minutes of discussion for the anime. The same applies for the 2nd anime.

Gothic & Lolita Fashion

We will discussing the style of clothing and life of a Gothic and a lolita. Will be discussing many different clothing brands and other accessories that a gothic or lolita would purchase and wear. Can briefly go through a goth and lolita lifestyle and how they live.
Will also take a look at the music industry in Japan and how the style has influenced people to dress up in this style.

Cosplay and Costuming

Come and hear about our cosplay/costume experience. We will cover sewing tricks and hints for less serious cosplay, more serious cosplay, and even high end cosplay (aka the outfit that took 20 hours even though you're only going to wear it once). We will talk about crossplay and straight cosplay, as well as how to work out group cosplays. There will be a large selection of old costumes to see and look at, as well as mock-up, so that we can go over the fitting process. From start to finish, this panel will help your cosplays be better.

Saturday Morning "Cartoons"

Looking back at the anime we used to watch on Saturday morning. Come ready to discuss Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Dragonball, and lots, lots more.

Welcome to the Host Club! 1 & 2

We're back for our second year of entertaining all the lovely princesses (and princes) attending NAF!
Come and enjoy the company (and antics) of the Host Club. Refreshments provided.

Ouran High School Host Club

Come discuss your favorite episodes, moments, and characters from Ouran High School Host club here!

The Improv Hour [non 404s]

Tired of seeing guys like the 404s having all the fun doing anime improv? Here's your chance to join in on the action! Audience participation improv.

With games like "Whose Line" and "Scenes from a Hat". Come, perform, and laugh watching others do the same!

Jpop concerts videos

The videos range from 1 1/2h to 3h in length, most videos are primarily female artists (Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, Koda Kumi, etc.).

Pokemon: How to catch them all

In the world of Pokemon there are and/or will be many difficult challenges one has to succumb in order for he/she to reach to the very top. However, why are things so difficult, why isn't there an easy way out of these silly situations? I'm sure we all have our questions. In Pokemon: How to catch them all, we will educate you (rather humorously) on the reality of Pokemon, and why some things aren't possible, and how some should be made possible. We will also provide lots of tips and tricks for you to squeeze your way to number one. Whether catching a Pokemon, or battling against a rival, we have most of the answers.

Feedback Session

Did you have a good time at Northern Anime Festival this year? Want to see something change or maybe have a suggestion or too? Well join the staff of Northern Anime Festival at the feedback session panel and help us improve for Northern Anime Festival 2008.

Lossien
06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Alright, I'm assuming the cosplay and costuming is me? If it's still going on (I'm excited to do it ^^) I just need to know when. Our cosplay group had some stuff to figure out after AN (as in who was going to NAF and who had booked their camping trip that weekend... *grumbles at people not here*) but I did try to reply. Even if it's not in the programme, as I realize that it's probably printed. I just need to know when.

Tsukasa_1
06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Yup thats your panel XD

The schedule has been posted now: http://www.northernanime.ca/forms/schedule2008.pdf