PDA

View Full Version : Creating Bangs?

Kaede
06-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes! *dances the new forum dance* I was wondering, I heard about bonding loose hair onto wigs, and I need to do that. Is there a more efficient way to bond on bangs (I want there to be a pouffy look) but still not sizzle the hair? This wig has no bangs fyi and I need to apply a different color.

odango-mango
06-19-2003, 12:44 AM
you might be able to buy bulk hair extensions off ebay. These are usually in wefts. And you can cut off the amount you need and use your sewing machine to attach them, or you can hand stitch them on. Real human hair extensions are great to work with because you can dye, curl and style them to suit your needs.

Karisu-sama
06-19-2003, 01:25 AM
I've sewed bangs in from pieces taken off other wigs (already have the lace backing.) My Dilandau wig didn't come with his awesome long bangs, but it WAS perfect otherwise, so I just did a little "wig surgery"...

Yui
06-19-2003, 02:34 AM
Yeah, if you can cut sections off another wig - not cutting it from its roots, keeping its backing so all the hair still stays together, you can sew the new part to the old wig just on the lace part of each without getting any strands of hair stuck in your sewing machine.
...which is prone to happen, so be careful and clean out any hairs pulled out accidentally right away or it'll jam up badly. Or, hand sew...

(BTW, this is cool ^_^ I didn't realize there was enough wig dicussions out there to get a whole forum.)

KaraokeKate
06-19-2003, 02:46 AM
(BTW, this is cool ^_^ I didn't realize there was enough wig dicussions out there to get a whole forum.)

Are you kidding?! I've been suggesting this forum for exactly that reason, there's so many wig posts spread out all over the place that it makes sense to give them their own section. ^_^

As for adding thickness to bangs, yes, use wefts. Either individually purchased, or cut from another wig. Don't sew them with a sewing machine though. Use extension bonding glue (usually available from the same places that sell extensions...) and glue them under the current layer of bangs at the scalp level.

Yui
06-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Okay, listen to the expert then. ^_-

I tried using the bonding glue with my first attempt at wig mutilation and I made a mess. X_x Um, but I haven't had any structural problems with sewing on segments, however.
Maybe I should just practice some more with the glue if it's so recommended though.

KaraokeKate
06-19-2003, 02:58 AM
I only recommend the glue (or caulk) because getting a wig stuck in a sewing machine would not only be a nightmare to untangle, but could actually damage the machine. o_0'

You can also hand-stitch the weft into place if you've got the patience, but you need to make sure you keep the stitches relatively close together, and keep the weft facing the right direction the whole time, or the hair will:

a) slip right out when you comb it

and

b) stick out funny

...unless that's the look you're going for (J-Rock, perhaps?), then party on. ^,^

Karisu-sama
06-19-2003, 05:50 AM
Yup, KaraokeKate is the master at this! ^___^ I am no expert on wigs.

I handstitched. I DO have the patience. ^^

Kaede
06-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Heh no, no funny sticky-out bits this time. Thanks so much for all the good advice. Well, here's my current wig project. I've killed about 3 wigs as of now to get the pieces for this one...
www.geocities.com/suishyou/cosplaymana3.html

Koumori
06-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Why not cut bangs into the wig instead of adding them? It's easier.

Kaede
06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Well I'm using a black wig, blue falls, and blonde bangs. He has what looks like black roots and I can't use that color for the bangs unfortunately.

Koumori
06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kaede
Well I'm using a black wig, blue falls, and blonde bangs. He has what looks like black roots and I can't use that color for the bangs unfortunately.

Ah, okay. I hadn't seen your pic previously. My bad.

Kaede
06-19-2003, 11:35 AM
No problemo

odango-mango
06-19-2003, 12:19 PM
well the thing about using a sewing machine is you would have to have a wig in good shape to start out with, one that's not messy, and hair extensions already have a threaded base (weft) at the top of them. You may have to move more slowly when stitching, but it can be very effective.
and for just adding bang you would only need a few tight stitches. Also you could section off the hair into small pony tails if the wig is a little messy.

Kaede
06-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Now that we're on the topic, I'll be hand stitching the wig on, and the cap netting has a slight stretch so I'm thinking a polyester-blend thread??

KaraokeKate
06-19-2003, 01:43 PM
I use the polyester thread used for sewing on buttons. Although there actually is "weaving thread", I've yet to see the real benefit of it. It's slightly more coarse, but that's about it.

Kaede
06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Alright thanks. I've tried weaving thread as well...don't like it much.