PDA

View Full Version : Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4) Help

Loligator
04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I've recently decided to cosplay Ada Wong from Resident Evil 4 to animeNEXT '08. I've pretty much got the entire costume under wraps, but I've never worked with a costume with accents like the butterflies upon her dress. I'm not sure what method should be used, be it some form of transfers or iron-ons ... or should I resort to hand-sewn detailing?

I've seen a lot of really nice Ada Wong dresses here, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips from experience? =)
Thanks!

vasher
04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
There is a wonderful and huge RE thread here-

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=47209

-that you can search through to get ideas. ^^

When I did my Ada dress, I used sew-on appliqué for the most of it and iron-on for some of the tiny tiny details on the flowers. The black viney stem... things and some of the butterfly detailing were using the wider appliqué stitch freeform to make designs. Also, some hand-bead work, but it didn't really fit the 'look' of the dress to me, so I used it very sparingly. Hope this helps. :)

Loligator
04-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks! =)

It looks like I'll have to go with an appliqué for the butterflies. That seems to be the most popular method. It'll be an adventure, that's for sure. xD

Loligator
06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I've just started the appliqué process, and I ... have no idea what I'm doing. >_> I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...

aBrokenBullet
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I've just started the appliqué process, and I ... have no idea what I'm doing. >_> I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...

Ok, this is what you do. It took me a ridiculously long time to make mine, but they look good in the end so it is worth it. All the stuff you need for this you can find at a fabric store.

Step 1 - Get some paper and draw out stencils of what you want your butterflies and flowers to look like. Once you have a design that you are happy with make a few copies of it.

Step 2 - Since you are going to be layering your fabric, cut out the stencils you just copied in a way that you will layer them. I made one layer for the white/pink outline that surrounds the butterflies, one for the red part that makes up most of the wings, and one for the gold circles.

Step 3 - Get some Stitch Witchery or Heat n Bond. You iron this stuff to the back of your fabric, peel off the plastic coating, and then iron it on to the layer below, thus holding all of your layers of fabric in place. But don't peel, cut, or iron anything yet, we are getting there

Step 4 - Once you have applied the heat n bond to your fabric, take your stencils and trace them onto the back of the appliqué material (the papery part). There are seven butterflies, three gold flowers, and two pink flowers, so make sure you draw enough of them onto your fabric. Now you can cut out the pieces you just drew out. If your edges fray a lot, cover them in fray check.

Step 5 - Now take all the layers you cut out, peel off the paper backing, and iron your pieces together. If they don't stick very well (some fabrics don't work well with appliqué) then you can whip-stitch the layers together for extra reinforcement.

Well thats it! I hope that was helpful =D