PDA

View Full Version : Yoko's GIANT gun!

keikoyukimora
04-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok yeah. I'm not sure how to make her gun. I was thinking of making it out of wood, but I'm not sure how much it would weigh when done. I mean, it's just as tall as her. I do plan 2 make it proportionate 2 myself. I am 5'6" so if anyone can help me out that would be great. Um. I have 2 DECENT pictures of the gun for reference. The others, are well, inappropriate. If you wanna see more, google it, or search photobucket.

Millions_Knives
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
pvc pipe
and sheeting or insalation foam would be fare easier
good times to all

Yo-Yo
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow, lots of Gurren Lagann popping up, lately. :0 Especially after I decided to cosplay Kamina&Viral, lmao.

Anyways, I agree. PVC pipe and insulation foam would work best, but then again, i'm not the best when it comes to props. >.>;;

PVC, definitely, though.

Zil
04-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Try searching for suggestions people have made for Seras Victoria's (Hellsing) Harkonnen cannon. It's of the same magnificently huge proportions (maybe even a little bigger). I'm sure someone made a tutorial out there for it that you could use to help quite a bit. What everyone else suggested sounds good though too :D

Space Lion
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Depending on what your budget is like, you can buy a quality toy gun or airsoft rifle (http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=1) similar to Yoko's, and chop off the parts you don't need. I'm not familiar with the series, or if they ever say what kind of rifle she has (probably made up anyway), but the stock, upper and lower receiver, and hand guards look pretty similar to M16/M4/AR-15 variants, though it's really looks like bits and pieces of a few different weapons (of course). Be advised, if you do purchase an airsoft rifle, you will have to gut it (aka remove all working internal parts) to make it con-legal. It's not particularly hard to do, just a few little bolts to unscrew and everything will come right out. Of course, even then, you still need to do some rather heavy modifications to make it like hers.

PVC pipe is cheap, light, and easy to work with (like me! I mean... ). It can be found at your local gigantic hardware store in either the plumbing or electrical section. A few different diameters and lengths of PVC will take care of the barrel, scope, flash suppressor, bolt, and extended stock.

Depending on whether or not you go with the airsoft/toy gun route, the rest can be carved and/or sculpted through various means, including insulation foam, paperclay, resin casting, cardboard, and yes, even wood. The thing about a prop isn't so much about overall weight as it is about balance and weight placement, so keep that in mind as you're constructing.

I would also suggest doing a costume search for Yoko on this site, and see what everyone else did with theirs. Sometimes those "prop construction" photos and galleries can be very helpful.

Good luck!