PDA

View Full Version : Hylian Shield

kadashibixa
04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi.

We're trying to make a Link - from Zelda series - cosplay, but we're having problems with our shield.

Based on a tutorial, we're trying to wet a foamcore to get curved, but it doesn't work.

Can someone help us with this stuff, please?

As you can see, we're newbies :P

Thanks, anyway.

Ani_BEE
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Well here's a list of tutorials
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=90920
http://trsrockin.com/link.html

Foamcore dose not curve when you wet it only paper products like cardboard dose. So I'm guessing you are following a cardboard tutorial.

You can compress foamcore by pressing it as you go but it's not going to curve a smoothly.

A19Riku
04-18-2008, 04:41 PM
actually I made a base of that shield and i also used foam core and the wat I got it to curve was by slowly bending the board slightly every 1/4" or so making sure all the creases were on the inside of the shield and you can cover it with paper mache

Bahzi
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Well here's a list of tutorials
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=90920
http://trsrockin.com/link.html

Foamcore dose not curve when you wet it only paper products like cardboard dose. So I'm guessing you are following a cardboard tutorial.

You can compress foamcore by pressing it as you go but it's not going to curve a smoothly.

Actually that second link with the tutorial for the Hylian Shield says that foam core was used, and she was able to bend it by wetting it, which is odd, since the inner part of foam core is polystyrene.

I used to work with thicker pieces of foam core in theater for making lightweight 'flats' or scenery that could be raised and lowered on the fly-rail system, and I don't recall water doing anything to it except making the paper parts soggy, and prone to bending and leaving a crease. The stuff in those tutorial pics looks to be thinner though, maybe it works differently?

You're best bet, kadashibixa, would be to contact TR Rose about how she did it, and what kind of foam core it was.

I would probably make the shield out of a thermoplastic or insulation foam/fiberglass because I'm clumsy and foam core dents fairly easily, but as long as you're careful, foam core could make a really nice looking shield that's really light and easy to carry around all day.

Squiggle
04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
You can bend foam core; but tis a pain-in-the-butt process involving scoring. LOTS of scoring; and X-acto blades. Lot's of those too. You have to keep a fresh blade and cut only one side of the foam core and the foam inside but not all the way through to the other sheet of poster. You'll need to make more scores closer together for a tighter curve. For something like a shield, one score about every inch or maybe half an inch should work. You need to cut the inside of your curve.

Maybe not the best way to make the shield, but a guaranteed way to shape foam core.

TR Rose
04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I didn't score it at all - I just wet down one side and the paper on that side of the foamcore is what warped. It didn't warp evenly though - if I were to remake my shield, I would curve it manually using water:

I made my scabbard with foamcore also, and manually wet one side with a washcloth while curving it over the edge of the bathtub. My scabbard easily holds my Master Sword because of the curve. I had to do this because the above technique curved the foamcore the opposite direction from what I needed for the scabbard.

The foamcore I used was the stuff you can buy at Michael's or WalMart next to the posterboard.

mondo-geek
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
im currently making a hylian shield using thin foam core as a base (just the regular king from walmart)
i took a wet cloth and evenly dampened on side of the board anf it started to curve perfectly.
this method completely works!

draik41895
01-18-2012, 11:53 PM
I warped foam core board like this. I wiped a wet cloth over it a good few times, put two boxes of spaghetti on the sides, and another box of something on top as a weight. It worked great. This is how it turned out.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6645303695_5014255d84.jpg

Edit: You cant really see the curve in this pic... It worked awesome though

Painapurru
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I used the foam core method recently to make a quick hylian shield and ended up going way more in depth than I had originally intended. So, I figured I might as well share what I've learned.

Personally I found that using a wet washcloth took a lot of time over the large surface area, beat up the paper, and didn't make as drastic or lasting a curve as I wanted. In the end I used two sheets of foamcore and curved them each individually. To do this I took my foamcore outside and soaked it down gently for a bit using a hose. I had two 6 gallon buckets stacked on top of eachother and rather roughly tied an old sheet of foamcore from a sciencefair board around them to give a smooth surface of the proper curve for doing my shield peices. The actual shield peices I rather gently pushed against the existing curve to avoid the wrinkling of the paper and cracking of the foam that can happen if you are too foreful with is. I used a soft sort of twine to hold the peice on the curve and left it to dry overnight. I repeated this with the second peice.

The two peices came out with a slightly different curve but I wasn't too horribly concerned. I used a razor blade to cut the center from one peice and the rough shape from both before using wood glue to stick them together. I had to use several clamps/large clips to hold these peices to the same curve but it dried strong and in a beautiful shape. Afterwards I used spray paint and acrylics to get the coloration and didn't lose any of my curve.

narutokunobsess
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Also try putting the foam core in a hot room, or in the sun, or in your car in the sun. That will make it really curvy.

Painapurru
02-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Yea, I didn't think about it, but the heat probably was a factor. I live in Florida and it's really hot and humid. I left my foam in the garage the entire time so that may have helped.

narutokunobsess
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Yep. I made a sheild before, although not the greatest Ive done at all, since I had no idea that stuff for foam cutters exist. Knifes are painful to use. But it really did bend alot with the water technique, and the heat.

I took some inspiration by this person on making a sheild:
http://meowaboutcosplay.com/guides_tutorials/link.html

Tamlin
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I accidentally(but happily!) curved my shield by painting the back of the foamcore in black poster board paint! I did this after finishing the front, so all the layers curved nicely and held together just fine. The front warped over the years but I don't know if it was related or just got old.

Kaname Kuron
03-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I think that shield is hardest to make, the only thing harder is the master sword. i made it curved by leaving it in the sun to dry the paint but it worked like it should have.