PDA

View Full Version : cosplay cafe location

kyocs
04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
well as some of you might already know, i am openning a cosplay cafe around the area, which work just like a maid / butler cafe from akihabara, if u haven't seen one or heard one. here's a link, u could type maid cafe in youtube or wikipedia : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSSqJZmn3AE

on to the topic, i planned to get the space in crystal city, which was perfect for me, but the leasing manager told me it became unavalable coz that part of the space will merge with the construction T_T,
well they offer me a new space about half of the original one, which is 437 sqf, its size only can hold around 10-20 pep at maximum, so i would like to ask if any of you know any space avalable around your area? if so, please attach photo if possible, maybe a link to that property site would work too : )

there's a few requirements though, i want it to be 1000~1700 square feets, less than 3 blocks from metro and hopefully with good parking spaces. it doesn't matter the foot traffic amount.
of cos i wouldn't asking your assisstants for free,when the cafe is open u get a special VIP badge which will reduce 20% of all of your purchase in the cafe, : )

also anyone interest of working in the cafe as maid or butler u could send me a e-mail kyocs@hotmail.com with a brief introduction of urself and hopefully some cosplay photos, i will arrange interviews once the cafe starts its construction.

Tenriyuu86
04-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Awww man I wish I could help out. This sounds like a fun and interesting concept to bring around your area. Keep us updated though! If you were doing it here in Richmond I could help you out with that.

NecromanticChii
04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
If it were a bit closer to Virginia Beach I could help you.
As for anything else, let us know when it opens, and I will go there.

Good Luck!

kyocs
04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
definally : ), the reason we open it around crystalcity coz i want the fans able to walk to the cafe with ease from the location katsucon, AUSA, T-mode was held. D

sasorixdeidara
04-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll definetly come a check it out too.
Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble.

Vampey
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Ah! I'd definitely would work for you part time if you were in the Virginia Beach area D:

Good luck though! Maybe one day I'll visit :3

Nekko
04-19-2008, 05:47 AM
YES! If you get this started I will MOVE to be able to work as a maid waitress. I have 4+ years of waitressing exp and 1 year of hotel receptionist exp.

SaChan
04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
If you can get this going, I would be MORE than willing to work there. I have experience in the restaurant field, and I live in the NoVA area.

kyocs
04-19-2008, 01:13 PM
wow thx for the hearty replies, the business in food /restaurant field always bares a huge amount of risk, but , all of your replies just gives me confidences that i can do this XD.

i pretty much get everything else ready except for the location, once it's decided could start construction immediately.

Skyline Kyo
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Crystal City... oh man... xD;

There's usually only business folks there on the weekdays so make sure you're prepared for that.

kyocs
04-20-2008, 09:35 AM
well there isn't a place where only otaku around, business folks are everywhere - - crystalcity just for easier access from the cons.

makotohanabi
04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
well there isn't a place where only otaku around, business folks are everywhere - - crystalcity just for easier access from the cons.

What happens when/if the cons move? Crystal City is mostly Defense and Defense contractors, it's generally dead on weekends. Throw in lack of parking and Metro access and many potential customers may think it's too inconvenient to go on a non con weekend. Don't get locked into Crystal City because of cons, you probably can find space with better foot traffic and parking in another part of the area.

Good luck and if I see something that fits your criteria I'll send you a pm.

kyocs
04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
What happens when/if the cons move? Crystal City is mostly Defense and Defense contractors, it's generally dead on weekends. Throw in lack of parking and Metro access and many potential customers may think it's too inconvenient to go on a non con weekend. Don't get locked into Crystal City because of cons, you probably can find space with better foot traffic and parking in another part of the area.

Good luck and if I see something that fits your criteria I'll send you a pm.

hmm i though crystalcity have good parkings and environments. but yet, i do not live in crystalcity, so i really dunno much about it, i will see if i can find spaces in other places, but so far i just consider crystalcity is the best one consider the cons are there at the moment. thx for your advice.

Skyline Kyo
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Crystal City (the underground portion at least) is very accessible via metro and parking is free (6 pm and after on weekdays, free on weekends).

As much as I would love to see a maid cafe open, I just believe that it won't interact well with the business folks in Crystal City. I do agree that for convention times, the location would be excellent but what about the times when there's no conventions going around the area?

I work at Crystal City so I just wanna put in my 2 cents.

Lunarlion
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
This sounds fantastic! A cosplay cafe! Here in this state. I would really enjoy going there. Heck! I would really like becoming one of the maids...but I live in Virginia Beach.

I'm not trying to urge you closer to me, but I think Virginia Beach would be a better place to set up shop. There are hundreads of tourists who come to that area to enjoy a vacation and fun at the beach. If you made the cafe around that area, business would be booming. Hundreads of tourists would love to try something like this.

Also, AMA is being held in virginia beach now, so you would be close to a con as well if finding a place there instead.

Nekko
04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Actually I agree with Luna, tho I think the Rent for a building would be horrendous.

Jsc0114
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
you know im going kyos. Just call chouji up or pm me when it opens up. good luck man. can't wait to see you at ama! :)

kyocs
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
well, the reason i pick this place because it has the highest concentration of cons in whole USA, and the solution for the con overflow, i think i will just bring the crews to the con and run a cosplay cafe panel there XD, if they like it, they could come to our cafe everyday if they want : )

Vampey
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
This is gonna sound silly, but maybe a traveling cafe? >_> Moving from con to con? *shrugs*

I'd suggest Virginia Beach only because it's a tourist area. Hampton might be good, considering that's where Nekocon is and you might get some congoers if you're by the convention center *shrugs*

I think AMA is only in VB as a temporary situation because of their sudden cancellation of contract with the Hyatt.

Bagu
04-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Have you considered space in Pentagon City Mall?

It might be cool to just have something down in the food court area, with an open seating area like a Starbucks has.

kyocs
04-24-2008, 11:48 AM
vampey: i dun plan on doing a traveling cafe - -, i would perfer a staple location, just when con's around we head out to the con and run the panel there. but yeah, VA beach indeed a good spot, i will definally open one there once the one here runs successfully.

bagu : i will ask them and see, the thing is, cosplay cafe doesn't really fit into food courts, aside from its expensive rents, (food court usually 2 times or even more rents than the space elsewhere within the mall). the main purpose pep come to the cafe is not food, mostly the environments. and i perfer the cafe to be in door, : )
thanks for the advice though.

twentystitches
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
You might want to try looking around Vienna or Fairfax for a place. Still accessable my metro, resonably and not in the city so more people could drive up. It's also on the way to the big cons in D.C. and Maryland. :D

Lunarlion
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
vampey: but yeah, VA beach indeed a good spot, i will definally open one there once the one here runs successfully.

Dibs on working on the Virginia Beach one! I so wanna work on something this interesting and enjoyable.

Bagu
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
You might want to try looking around Vienna or Fairfax for a place. Still accessable my metro, resonably and not in the city so more people could drive up. It's also on the way to the big cons in D.C. and Maryland. :D

There is also Landmark Mall (though its a suck mall...I heard they were going to be tearing it down soon) as well. Their food court is pretty space ( I think there are maybe 5 eateries in the 11 spots they have)

bagu : i will ask them and see, the thing is, cosplay cafe doesn't really fit into food courts, aside from its expensive rents, (food court usually 2 times or even more rents than the space elsewhere within the mall). the main purpose pep come to the cafe is not food, mostly the environments. and i perfer the cafe to be in door, : )
thanks for the advice though.
I can see what you're saying. A maid cafe might be limited to just expresso drinks and maybe misc. pasteries (much like how Starbucks swings) I'm just hoping you're get decent space, because you'll want to put some tables/chairs down.

I wouldn't mind investing in this :D

Bagu
04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
merged the posts

sanriochica333
04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry I can't be of any help, I live in sova >3> But it's a super cool idea. My mom was thinking of opening a sweets cafe thing and I was like I could dress up XD <3

Since it's a cosplay cafe? Would they be uniform costumes. (I mean the same all across the board) Or people's personal costumes? And are you planning to have things from popular anime or things like generic school girls?

Would your cafe just be appealing to those that go to cons? I mean I adore the idea of a cosplay cafe/maid cafe. Though I'd think that would be a small niche.

But come to hampton roads XD We're friendlier down here. ~<3 (and we have tourism places williamsburg and va beach.)

kyocs
04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry I can't be of any help, I live in sova >3> But it's a super cool idea. My mom was thinking of opening a sweets cafe thing and I was like I could dress up XD <3

Since it's a cosplay cafe? Would they be uniform costumes. (I mean the same all across the board) Or people's personal costumes? And are you planning to have things from popular anime or things like generic school girls?

Would your cafe just be appealing to those that go to cons? I mean I adore the idea of a cosplay cafe/maid cafe. Though I'd think that would be a small niche.

But come to hampton roads XD We're friendlier down here. ~<3 (and we have tourism places williamsburg and va beach.)

well, i have though about the uniform plans, generally, from monday to friday, it will be the standard butler/maid uniform, and in the weekends, we would cosplay, and of cos, we will all cosplay from the same series as a group,like bleach week, naruto week, etc. the dates can be change, it really depend on what the people think.

Bagu
04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
well, i have though about the uniform plans, generally, from monday to friday, it will be the standard butler/maid uniform, and in the weekends, we would cosplay, and of cos, we will all cosplay from the same series as a group,like bleach week, naruto week, etc. the dates can be change, it really depend on what the people think.

I was wondering about that. The maid outfits are understandable, but cosplaying as licensed characters might bring legal problems, unless you can somehow get clearance to do so.

dustbunny
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
If you do a maid cafe in dc or around the fairfax area i would so be a maid
XDD
i went to the cafes in Tokyo and i loved it so much. So keep us all updated on this project~!!

kyocs
04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I was wondering about that. The maid outfits are understandable, but cosplaying as licensed characters might bring legal problems, unless you can somehow get clearance to do so.

hmmm, i never though about cosplaying a licensed charater would trigger legal problems. but yes, since i want support from the US distributors i would talk with them first before i open the doors. hopefully it dun restrict that , T_T

If you do a maid cafe in dc or around the fairfax area i would so be a maid
XDD
i went to the cafes in Tokyo and i loved it so much. So keep us all updated on this project~!!

sure i definally will, and lucky u been to tokyo maid cafes, i never been there myself, T_T

dustbunny
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
sure i definally will, and lucky u been to tokyo maid cafes, i never been there myself, T_T

oh there so awsome~ i just thought how funny it was when i got off the train and saw all these maids handing out menus. lol.

kyocs
04-28-2008, 11:42 PM
oh there so awsome~ i just thought how funny it was when i got off the train and saw all these maids handing out menus. lol.

LOL i though they hand out menus in the street now even the train station O_o awww i so wanna go now T_T

sanriochica333
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM

+__+ I want to work, I always wanted to work at one. And it's a good idea that it's maid and butler. If it were just maid... people would probably complain :untrust: Hmm well I do have an uncle that lives near crystal city maybe I can convince him to let me stay in the summer...

Ahh I'm so interested. ^_^

Nekko
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
This would be so much fun!... And I ugh... Already have a loli maid cosplay...

Takumix
05-09-2008, 04:22 AM
this sounds interesting. does this place actually exist now in Crystal City?

kyocs
05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
this sounds interesting. does this place actually exist now in Crystal City?

no actually, i just talk with their leasing manager, and i dun thnink i will take up their crappy offer, 437 sqf is really really small........
now i find a place in boston commons looks pretty decent on the 3rd floor(not alot of foot traffic) which is good.

Nekko
05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
That sounds nice. But if theres not a lot of traffic then youll have to send people down to advertise.

makotohanabi
05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
no actually, i just talk with their leasing manager, and i dun thnink i will take up their crappy offer, 437 sqf is really really small........
now i find a place in boston commons looks pretty decent on the 3rd floor(not alot of foot traffic) which is good.

Boston commons? or do you mean Ballston Commons? *crosses fingers and hopes you meant Ballston Commons*

kyocs
05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
yeah ballston commons, lol
did i type it wrong XD, it's pretty close to alot of school drop offs and next to metro,
and nekko, for a cafe like this, i dun need to send pep to advertise, coz i dun really do business to pep that doesn't know anything about anime, i will merely send fliers to all the anime clubs in university and websites, so the local otakus would know about this place, and that's enough for me, XD

Nekko
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
yeah, I just thaught that because when new stores opened up in the mall I go to there were people handing out fliers near the food court.

Bagu
05-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Hmm I forgot all about Ballston Commons. Up on the 3rd floor near the movie theatre might be a good spot.

And the maids can go ice skating at the rink and serve hot cocoa. :D

makotohanabi
05-11-2008, 04:54 PM
did i type it wrong XD, it's pretty close to alot of school drop offs and next to metro,
and nekko, for a cafe like this, i dun need to send pep to advertise, coz i dun really do business to pep that doesn't know anything about anime, i will merely send fliers to all the anime clubs in university and websites, so the local otakus would know about this place, and that's enough for me, XD

It happens all the time, I still say Boston when I mean Ballston. :)

You could also have a panel on maid cafes at local cons. or buy ad space in the program book.

Any idea when you'll be open once you sign a lease?

Bagu
05-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Any idea when you'll be open once you sign a lease?

And if you need help? (And no, I'm not volunteering to wear a maid outfit ;) )

Nekko
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
:toothy: And if you need help? (And no, I'm not volunteering to wear a maid outfit ;) )

Darnit....

kyocs
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
lol, it should be around 1 month or one half to finsih with the furbishing, then it will take a week for the licensing, etc, after all that we can finally open the door XD
hopefuly before otakon

chris-chan
05-13-2008, 12:11 AM
this sounds like a really good idea. too bad i dont live in virginia anymore. but, i will be visiting this summer, so if youre open, ill try to check you out.

Lunarlion
05-13-2008, 06:51 AM
And if you need help? (And no, I'm not volunteering to wear a maid outfit ;) )

I WOULD!!! But this cafe is too far for me to get to...a pity. Inform me when you make a chain in Virginia Beach.

Indy Tarquinson
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Ditto to the VA Beach thing, I'd definitely check it out too! I really think if this takes off this area would be a great place to expand.

Bagu
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Apparently LA makes it's debut:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=149912

LaPetiteSalope
06-08-2008, 11:39 PM

Don't do it at Ballston Commons. D:
It's a rundown mall with only a Movie theater to keep it alive.
Trust me on this, I've worked in there before.
You won't get many otakus, just immature teenagers looking to cause trouble. XD

Vampey
06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
So how are things going with this? Coming to VA Beach yet? lol. I saw a good location the other day. Used to be a small family owned restaurant...

....now I can't remember where it was....

SailorKagome
06-11-2008, 12:09 AM
This is really neat~

I'd love to see something like this in the va beach/hampton area. Actually, newport news has a new place called city center that has plenty of spots open (I own/manage a place there). Check otu citycenteratoysterpoint.com. If you opened anywhere near me, I would definitely love to work there!

TheRabbit
06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
ooo crystal city is in dc isn't it...hmmm I'm in Reston so getting there would suck. =[ I wana work there! Sounds so bomb. Good luck on your cafe ^^ I'll surely have to stop by there one time =]

kyocs
06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Don't do it at Ballston Commons. D:
It's a rundown mall with only a Movie theater to keep it alive.
Trust me on this, I've worked in there before.
You won't get many otakus, just immature teenagers looking to cause trouble. XD

well , i go to ballston commons almost every single day, compare to crystal city mall, ballston mall is actually have more population - -
crystal city mall is like the silent hill 3 shopping mall - - almost nobody there and alot of place leasing, it's ironic they refuse to let me to open there - -.

another thing i like ballston mall actually is its *rundown'ness*, my belief is even i open it in the middle of the desert, the otakus will go there anyway - -, ballston mall is cheap because its low population, so i can open it at a much larger size than open a small one inside DC. maybe i could bring more pep to the mall : D

and i am sure while all of u drinking and watching animes inside the cafe, u dun want too much streetwalker pointing/staring at u, especially when u r in a cosplay. so a quite and neat place is better suited than a heavily populated area like george town, parking 1 $ per hour VS 20 $ per hour, which one would u pick? : D

kyocs
06-16-2008, 10:10 PM
This is really neat~

I'd love to see something like this in the va beach/hampton area. Actually, newport news has a new place called city center that has plenty of spots open (I own/manage a place there). Check otu citycenteratoysterpoint.com. If you opened anywhere near me, I would definitely love to work there!

i just came back from AMA 08 from VA beach, it looks like a decent enough place, with alot of residential area but very few malls, (not close to beach), i would definally open one there when cafe stablized.
thx for the offer though, i will definally let u know when the time is right :D

kyocs
06-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Apparently LA makes it's debut:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=149912

yeah i heard about that one from wikipedia, it seems more like a food restaurant just add up the maid outfit to attract regular customer, not really a spot that focus on *otaku rally point*
but anyway it's fun never the less, i would want to check it out when i get a chance

Darkrainer
06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
I just graduated from college with a bachelor degree in marketing. Although I'm not familiar with the cafe scene I'd love to get my hands in and help you if possible. Heck I can't find a job now so yeah free advice? :)

Darkrainer
06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
hmm seeing that it will be in NOVA it does have potential seeing that it does have a lot of diversity and tons of tourists swinging by. However, these are tourists and not artists and such. Do artists and such visit Royal T on a regular basis? Seems to me that maid cafe's are entirely new to the american population hence it is a specialty cafe and like someone said should play to that strength. IMO I think its a good idea that you plan on opening it in a location that are near 2-3 cons that are close to the vicinity. That way you know that you can make money and generate buzz about your place. For this place to survive its all about location, location, location. Yeah...Location.

kyocs
06-21-2008, 11:27 AM
hmm seeing that it will be in NOVA it does have potential seeing that it does have a lot of diversity and tons of tourists swinging by. However, these are tourists and not artists and such. Do artists and such visit Royal T on a regular basis? Seems to me that maid cafe's are entirely new to the american population hence it is a specialty cafe and like someone said should play to that strength. IMO I think its a good idea that you plan on opening it in a location that are near 2-3 cons that are close to the vicinity. That way you know that you can make money and generate buzz about your place. For this place to survive its all about location, location, location. Yeah...Location.

thank you for your advice, the cons are less than 10 min drive from AUSA, katsucon (new location) and T mode, 30 min drive from otakon,
not sure about AMA hopefully they decide to do it in crystalcity 2009 XD
the cafe is meant for local otakus, it doesn't really need to attract business from tourist, though it doesn't hurt, but the environment would be much more lively when the whole cafe is fill with otakus, just like the con does.
another thing about royal T is, as far as i read, they do use maid costume, however they dun provide service like *welcome home, master/mistress* *how many surgars u want , master/mistress* etc etc from standard maid cafe. so i woudlnt' really consider they are one, but rather an alternative from maid cafe.

Bagu
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea for people to come to the cafe dressed in cosplay. The only ones in cosplay should be the maids, with the manager in suit. Then the store will maintain its theme and not be labeled a "weird" place by the non-cosplaying or adult crowd. Your cafe is going to get "reviewed" one day so you want to keep that in mind, especially when you have an otaku in the cafe acting lewd toward the maids. If you want to section off a corner of the cafe to place a anime-viewing monitor, then that's fine.

You're right about Ballston Commons showing its age. The area is kind of an expensive part of Arlington, and most of the buildings around it are expensive condo's and apartments. It does get a lot of traffic on the weekdays due to businesses coming for lunch and such. And of course holidays are a busy time too. I am wondering about overall age statistics of the area, because there is an arcade on the ground floor and its always been empty each time I walked into it. Since your cafe will be upstairs its going to get a lot of passing people traffic from the movie theatre and ice rink.

If it were me I'd make it just like that Starbucks down on the ground floor but with an anime/serving maid twist. Couples want diversity when out on dates, and the cafe will give them that. The maids should be in character at all times, because it will strengthen the theme.

hehe...i'm going on a bit winded here...sorry.

makotohanabi
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
thank you for your advice, the cons are less than 10 min drive from AUSA, katsucon (new location) and T mode, 30 min drive from otakon,
not sure about AMA hopefully they decide to do it in crystalcity 2009 XD
the cafe is meant for local otakus, it doesn't really need to attract business from tourist, though it doesn't hurt, but the environment would be much more lively when the whole cafe is fill with otakus, just like the con does.
another thing about royal T is, as far as i read, they do use maid costume, however they dun provide service like *welcome home, master/mistress* *how many surgars u want , master/mistress* etc etc from standard maid cafe. so i woudlnt' really consider they are one, but rather an alternative from maid cafe.

The area is full of military/foreign service types, I'm sure many people went to a maid cafe during a tour in Asia, and would go to one in the US. The thing with only marketing to otakus is that anime cons attract a younger crowd. Many kids will buy one thing and loiter for several hours. Also appealing to non otaku customers means a more diverse customer base and you make more money.

kyocs
06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea for people to come to the cafe dressed in cosplay. The only ones in cosplay should be the maids, with the manager in suit. Then the store will maintain its theme and not be labeled a "weird" place by the non-cosplaying or adult crowd. Your cafe is going to get "reviewed" one day so you want to keep that in mind, especially when you have an otaku in the cafe acting lewd toward the maids. If you want to section off a corner of the cafe to place a anime-viewing monitor, then that's fine.

You're right about Ballston Commons showing its age. The area is kind of an expensive part of Arlington, and most of the buildings around it are expensive condo's and apartments. It does get a lot of traffic on the weekdays due to businesses coming for lunch and such. And of course holidays are a busy time too. I am wondering about overall age statistics of the area, because there is an arcade on the ground floor and its always been empty each time I walked into it. Since your cafe will be upstairs its going to get a lot of passing people traffic from the movie theatre and ice rink.

If it were me I'd make it just like that Starbucks down on the ground floor but with an anime/serving maid twist. Couples want diversity when out on dates, and the cafe will give them that. The maids should be in character at all times, because it will strengthen the theme.

hehe...i'm going on a bit winded here...sorry.

well that's some really interesting points u put out there. first, we cannot denied that there willl be pep cosplay in the cafe, the cafe itself has half butler and half maids, not a complete maid cafe but a mix in between, plus we don't sell alcohol beverages to avoid underage problem and self controls. but as far as the con goes, i don't see pep acting weird towards other female cosplayer so far, so i assume that it will be safe, but it won't hurt to put additional security and warnings.

the location itself is good enough, alot of other places i had in mind either not avalable or too expensive for my budget, so i will take the best choice which is ballston mall as my starting point. people will know this place and bring friends over as well, i wish i could have the space where the starbuck is but it's occupied lol

about the arcade u talked about, i notice that one, because most of its machine are outdated, like 90 centry machines, house of the dead 1, etc etc, who would wanna play that, seriously u could easily get it off from the internet emulator not to mention PS3 , XBOX360, and Wii, - - so i am not surprise it's empty, coz i been there serveral times and i have a hard time finding what i want to play lol

and for hanabi , i don't reject regular non otaku customers, but the thing is, i put priority to otakus, that's why i choose the location, there's no need to pay expensive rent to get a place that's highly puplated, even we make tons of money off the curious cutomers, it's not a fun thing dealing with them, u rather chat with anime fans than a bunch of guys walkin just to see cute maids and find out what' is anime : D

Darkrainer
06-25-2008, 01:25 AM
but a business is a business, you're looking to stay for the long-term right? Everybody here who just replied all bring valid points. I do like the idea of a casual setting that is diverse and different from a starbuck's atmosphere. Normal consumers will bring in more cash where as young anime fans will yes like the person before me stated loiter and buy cheap stuff. From a business perspective you dont' want that unless they do have cash and spend the whole day their then by all means do because their money going into your pocket. I say you should do the cosplaying thing on certain nights or ocassions. That way it won't weird the normal people out so much. Also do you know the place that you want to rent out? Such as traffic and type of people frequenting their? That gives you a good indication if your business can survive or not.

Ichigogami
06-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Speak of the devil, I was actually talking about maid cafes and how I've wanted to work in one for a while with a friend of mine. When you finally find your nice little nook let me know, I'm fairly good with costume making, and designing ^_^ plus I think it would be really awesome to see one here in the US i have friends up in that area of Arlington. One good way of getting business though is through word of mouth, so the more people you make aware of your ideas and intentions, the more publicity you'll get... hopefully all good!

iTofu
06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh wow sounds great @_@ Crystal city maybe near the metro line? Just a warning for otaku-oriented stores... just in the area I think Anime FX, Another Universe, Pandora's Cube all went down in the past several years. >_<;;

But I'd definitely be interested in seasonal work if you need the help xD I used to work in the Pentagon City mall GameStop and have a couple years of hosting/waitressing experience.. Or just being a customer sounds fun!

makotohanabi
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
and for hanabi , i don't reject regular non otaku customers, but the thing is, i put priority to otakus, that's why i choose the location, there's no need to pay expensive rent to get a place that's highly puplated, even we make tons of money off the curious cutomers, it's not a fun thing dealing with them, u rather chat with anime fans than a bunch of guys walkin just to see cute maids and find out what' is anime : D

Just got a mental image of Barret tossing some mundanes out of the cafe.

I'm a bit older than the average anime con attendee, and when I'm dressed normally I don't look like an anime fan. I pass Ballston common on my way to my SO's place, and I will visit when you open. As long as you treat everyone the same from the kids in the naruto headbands to curious businesspeople on their lunch break, it's all good. :)

Just remember word of mouth works both ways, in my experiences in retail hell, customers who love a company tell a few people, customers who hate a company tell everyone.

kyocs
06-26-2008, 09:59 PM
but a business is a business, you're looking to stay for the long-term right? Everybody here who just replied all bring valid points. I do like the idea of a casual setting that is diverse and different from a starbuck's atmosphere. Normal consumers will bring in more cash where as young anime fans will yes like the person before me stated loiter and buy cheap stuff. From a business perspective you dont' want that unless they do have cash and spend the whole day their then by all means do because their money going into your pocket. I say you should do the cosplaying thing on certain nights or ocassions. That way it won't weird the normal people out so much. Also do you know the place that you want to rent out? Such as traffic and type of people frequenting their? That gives you a good indication if your business can survive or not.

i am well aware of the possiblity that some pep just pay a little bit and stay forever, we r still working on this issue. we can either charge by hour rate or table fee, any suggestions?

and yes we could cosplay, but only if the distrubitor agree on it ,because cosplaying for business purpose would trigger the license problem = = but customer cosplay won't fit into this catagory.
i live around ballston commons, and this's the mall i go everyday, it's the drop off point of mutiple schools, so alot of teenager comes in, on top of that, it's only 3-4 mins walking distant from metro, which provides easy access from all over the place. as far as projection goes, i believe it could successs.

kyocs
06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Just got a mental image of Barret tossing some mundanes out of the cafe.

I'm a bit older than the average anime con attendee, and when I'm dressed normally I don't look like an anime fan. I pass Ballston common on my way to my SO's place, and I will visit when you open. As long as you treat everyone the same from the kids in the naruto headbands to curious businesspeople on their lunch break, it's all good. :)

Just remember word of mouth works both ways, in my experiences in retail hell, customers who love a company tell a few people, customers who hate a company tell everyone.

oh no, i hope you don't misunderstand what i meant, we r not like *no you cannot enter because you are not cosplaying or anime fans* i want the customers that walks in feel like they r in the con, where there are cosplayers and regular fans, the thing is, the con would be less fun if nobody cosplays, this applies to the cafe too.
i want the cafe to feel more lively and fun.

but as you know, everyone that walks in the cafe is a master/mistress to us, the service would be better than any restaurant/cafe out there. that's the charm of the maid/butler cafe.
:D

Bagu
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Well if you're upstairs near the theatre its a perfect location. I envision "theme" nights for holidays (matsuri, halloween, christmas, etc.), and maybe (depending what kind of setup the ice rink has) take the maids there to serve hot chocolate to the skaters from time to time.

Depending it you're creating a menu (which i'm assuming because the maids will be "serving") it might be nice to include a bit of "anime/cosplay 101" on it for any parents wandering into the cafe wondering what this crazy hobby is all about.

heh...i would be talking to AUSA right now asking for a maid cafe added to their lineup, or at least some space in the program book...would be good advertisement for the business.

kyocs
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Well if you're upstairs near the theatre its a perfect location. I envision "theme" nights for holidays (matsuri, halloween, christmas, etc.), and maybe (depending what kind of setup the ice rink has) take the maids there to serve hot chocolate to the skaters from time to time.

Depending it you're creating a menu (which i'm assuming because the maids will be "serving") it might be nice to include a bit of "anime/cosplay 101" on it for any parents wandering into the cafe wondering what this crazy hobby is all about.

heh...i would be talking to AUSA right now asking for a maid cafe added to their lineup, or at least some space in the program book...would be good advertisement for the business.

bagu u read my mind, i was thinking to ask AUSA to give us space to run a maid cafe panel, coz during con time we will be in the con serving pep : D not in the cafe, that's my solution since i dun get crystalcity space.

but ya, i will surely have explination about what is cosplay and what's maid cafe in the table

Bagu
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
bagu u read my mind, i was thinking to ask AUSA to give us space to run a maid cafe panel, coz during con time we will be in the con serving pep : D not in the cafe, that's my solution since i dun get crystalcity space.

but ya, i will surely have explination about what is cosplay and what's maid cafe in the table

I'll ask the AUSA staff.

(actually its probably better for you to directly submit a panel request at the website, and in the explanation you'd like to do it multiple days if you want.)

makotohanabi
06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
i am well aware of the possiblity that some pep just pay a little bit and stay forever, we r still working on this issue. we can either charge by hour rate or table fee, any suggestions?

and yes we could cosplay, but only if the distrubitor agree on it ,because cosplaying for business purpose would trigger the license problem = = but customer cosplay won't fit into this catagory.
i live around ballston commons, and this's the mall i go everyday, it's the drop off point of mutiple schools, so alot of teenager comes in, on top of that, it's only 3-4 mins walking distant from metro, which provides easy access from all over the place. as far as projection goes, i believe it could successs.

One old haunt had a minimum order (forgot how much) per person and only offered free refills with a meal purchase. Not sure what type of menu you have or if it will work for you. It's an idea.

Many cons have tables where you can post flyers, maybe have a coupon so potential customers can give your cafe a try. Some cons sponsors offer prizes for some Masquerade awards, email the Masquerade Director and see if it is possible.

Yikes!
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I have a question. How old do the maid and butlers have to be to work there?

kyocs
07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a question. How old do the maid and butlers have to be to work there?

well i expect to be 17 up , and below 35 , it really depend on the appearances, : D

Momoko Ichigo
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I hope it opens soon! I might apply 4 a job there as soon as i get my driving liscenes (so spelled that wrong) in Feb! Will have permit by this sept....but that wont do me good! lol

I cant wait! Just let me know when it opens! ^.~

angelxwingxx
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh yah, I heard about it from you!! :D It's gonna be so fun. O_O!

meepstio
11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
wow sorry I happened to stumble upon this thread XD
are you still doing this ? o:

if you make one in virginia beach too that'd be awesome :D
well crystal city my friend lives there so either city I can go to lol.

momo_lucky
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
aww man i live in the Richmond area gosh i wish i could help you

raverstorm
11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
This sounds like fun. Id have to take a special trip to visit if its not in the richmond area. Otherwise i'd help and probably work 8D

Chi-Nasagawa
08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Does anyone else think that our generation is seriously going to revolutionize the world into being a cosplay, anime, manga, and ect Lover's world?

Hope all goes well for you, I have tentative plans of the same nature!! I'm going to be in Wisconsin most likely tho! Lets open cosplay cafe's EVERYWHERE!!!! TAKE OVER!