PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha Cosplay

lovesexnpocky
04-29-2008, 06:05 AM
So I looked around and didn't see anything on Inuyasha, so here I am. If there is a thread, and I missed it, I'm sorry.

Anyway. I got a request from a friend's friend to make an Inuyasha costume. Now, I've seen some of the series, and it doesn't appear too difficult. However, I could use a little advice on a few things.

One: What would be a good fabric to use?
Two: Anyone have a good screen shot of him not rushing into battle? xD

Well that's what I really need help with. And any advice anyone has is always welcomed and appreciated! Thank you very much!:bashful:

thebothan
04-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Cotton, Linen. Something with a square weave would be the most authentic.

Here's a few from my massive collection of screenshots:
IY 1 (http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1716/powerdvd200704062239018gy4.png)
IY 2 (http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/6959/cap039td2.png)
IY 3 (http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5919/powerdvd200704061817329nd0.png)
IY4 (http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4154/cap052hn0.png)

lovesexnpocky
04-29-2008, 06:48 AM
ah you are a savior. Thank you very much. I figured it'd be easier to ask a fan. :D Thanks again! *bows*

Kumi-chan
05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Definitely second linen, or at least linen-look (real linen's usually $15 a yard and tends to collect wrinkles). Try something like Amaretto Solids--JoAnn's, $5 a yard and really good stuff--or another cotton/rayon or cotton/polyester blend.

Stay away from anything too lightweight, since I've seen lots of Inuyashas done in quilting cotton and they...don't usually look that great ^^'. It's fine for his white shirt, though. Kind of like feudal underwear.

EelKat
05-17-2008, 09:27 PM
So I looked around and didn't see anything on Inuyasha, so here I am. If there is a thread, and I missed it, I'm sorry.

Anyway. I got a request from a friend's friend to make an Inuyasha costume. Now, I've seen some of the series, and it doesn't appear too difficult. However, I could use a little advice on a few things.

One: What would be a good fabric to use?
Two: Anyone have a good screen shot of him not rushing into battle? xD

Well that's what I really need help with. And any advice anyone has is always welcomed and appreciated! Thank you very much!:bashful:

If you are actually planing to go 100% authentic and use what would have been used in the 1500's Japan, than you are going to want to use 15" wide silk. Outside of Japan it's a bit hard to find. Pretty much the only place you are going to be able to find it is from eBay from a seller living in Japan. It's usually sold white/undyed and costs about $20 - $50 per bolt. A bolt is the entire length of cloth exactly as it came off the loom, and can vary to as little as 5 yard to as much as 17 yards, so be sure to ask how many inches long the piece of cloth is off the bolt, before you buy it.

Also, there is an InuYasha thread already, it's several pages long... 74 pages last time I saw it... I still haven't had a chance to read all of it yet, but I'm working on it! LOL! Here it is, just in case it falls off the first page again (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=43676). I'll bet if you try reading through it, you'll find a lot of help there.

Good luck!

Bahzi
05-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Definitely second linen, or at least linen-look (real linen's usually $15 a yard and tends to collect wrinkles). Try something like Amaretto Solids--JoAnn's, $5 a yard and really good stuff--or another cotton/rayon or cotton/polyester blend.

Stay away from anything too lightweight, since I've seen lots of Inuyashas done in quilting cotton and they...don't usually look that great ^^'. It's fine for his white shirt, though. Kind of like feudal underwear.

I concur, linen-look would look really nice. Too, if it's a blend, it shouldn't wrinkle as bad. Be careful on the color though, sometimes those red looking linen and faux linen fabrics look orange under a camera flash, so go for a darker red, like a crimson or dark scarlet. The lighting in most fabrics stores is not typical of most conventions. ^^

Also, authentic or not, silk would look bad. Even the nice stuff usually has too much of a sheen for Inuyasha, besides, his outfit is specifically said to be fur/hair from a firerat, and I doubt Takahashi invisioned firerats as shiny creatures. :P

I wouldn't read too much into being historically accurate anyways, as was discussed in the giant Inuyasha cosplay thread, many of the outfits from Inuyasha aren't historically accurate (for the warring states era anyways), they utilize types of clothing/armor from many different eras in Japanese history, and from Takahashi's imagination as well.

For cosplay purposes, it's better to be more concerned with things like how it wears, ease of care, how the fabric drapes, and of course, how it looks on camera/in un-natural lighting. I wouldn't touch anything with a sheen for Inuyasha costumes, get in a con center with crappy lighting and a flash and even the nicest silk can look like baroque satin.