PDA

View Full Version : Top hats

LadySage
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
For this year's Otakon, I'm planning to cosplay as Minuki/Trucy from Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. (reference here (http://www.court-records.net/arts/giantminuki.png)

One particular point is giving me issues, currently: the hat. Light blue top hats are nigh-impossible to find. So, this leaves me with three altenatives:

1) try to make one. I've never made hats (or really, any prop/accessory) before, and I have no idea how to do it, or how difficult it would come be.

2) Buy a cheap hat off ebay and cover it with fabric. Probably the cheapest option. I've never attempted this before either, and it might come out looking like crap. I'm not sure.

3) Commission one. Easily the cheapest option, but my funds are limited. Plus, I prefer to make things myself whenever possible.

d.n.angel fan
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
i would buy a cheap hat at a party shop and get the light blue material and use hot glue to stick the material to the hat ,and put some hot glue around the brim and strech the material over the brim
(if i make any sense at all ) hope that helps =3

meowl
05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
I did a web search for "make top hat" and there were plenty of links. I made one of craft foam in my hotel room at a con for a friend's Honey bunny. The brim is a ring, the body is a truncated cone and the top is a disk.