PDA

View Full Version : SSBB Sheik cosplay

cdaja
05-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Well, after searching, it looked as if the only Sheik cosplay threads I saw were for the OoT/SSBM design, and since the Brawl design is so different, I thought it deserved its own thread.

Well, I'm planning to cosplay Sheik next April. I've got plenty of time, but I thought it would be best to start ASAP. I don't really have any idea of how to begin, so I'm turning to you guys for help!

After taking like a zillion pictures on Brawl, it looks more like she's wearing a black bodysuit with blue pieces on it, as opposed to blue and dark blue/black pieces sewn together, so I guess that both simplifies and complicates things.

For the bracers on her arms, I was thinking like Wonderflex or something similar covered with leather and then laced together. For the large armor-looking piece covering her back and stomach, I'm not really sure what to do—it looks stiff, but making it out of more traditional armor materials would restrict movement too much, I'd think.

I haven't really thought much beyond the black unitard and the construction of the arm bracers, though, so any observations people make and any suggestions/ideas you have are greatly appreciated.

I've got multiple photos uploaded to my Photobucket, and it would be easier to link to the album rather than link to all 24 photos here.
Sheik pictures (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/cdaja/cosplay/sheik/)

MissShanksALot
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Umm...I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a SSBB and aZelda thread in this section of the site. . .

captain0marauding
05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Ah, I'm doing this version as well this summer! On the backs of the knees, there are small buckles, and there seems to be a bunch of wooly blue fabric on the elbows and stuff. I saw a photo where he had a hair-piece at the back of his head before the ponytail, and I'm wondering how to tackle it. Good luck on your cosplay! Oh yeah, he has a sheath on his back near the hips, but no sword. Is that for the needles he throws?

cdaja
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Umm...I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a SSBB and aZelda thread in this section of the site. . .

I know there is, but it looked to be more like a general discussion thread rather than somewhere where I could get some serious in-depth help with a costume. Last I saw, they were talking about different games and chocolate.

As for the sheath but no sword... Really?? I had just assumed that it was a tanto. I'll have to go back and check my pictures.

Katsumiyo
05-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I know there is, but it looked to be more like a general discussion thread rather than somewhere where I could get some serious in-depth help with a costume. Last I saw, they were talking about different games and chocolate.

That doesn't mean they don't discuss cosplay. There are separate forums entirely for general discussion of video games and anime, etc. The people posting in those threads have made cosplays similar, if not identical to, the one you're making, so I know they could be of help.

akuriko
05-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Even if the Smash Brothers thread was off topic, you could have always come to the LoZ Thread. I would have to say it's the biggest gathering of really experienced cosplayers on the site. :3 In fact, I know one member who's currently working on this costume, and it's looking really impressive.

cdaja
05-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah, all right. But I didn't really want to take a thread that looked to be about general costume discussion and tips and try to turn it into a me-focused "help me with this costume, I don't know what I'm doing" thread.

I'll post in the other threads, too, but it never hurts to have a thread to yourself.

Tamlin
05-09-2008, 05:56 AM
The smash thread can get a little off topic, but they can be helpful...But there is no harm in creating your own thread for a specific character! I'm doing Smash Sheik too! Its for A-Kon and I'm already having to simplify it...
For the waist armor I'm going to try stuff fusible craft interfacing. I just can't seem to find the right shade of grey/blue material...
The sheath is for a sword, in the manga he has a small blade, but I plan on using it to hold my needlesany way!

captain0marauding
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM
The smash thread can get a little off topic, but they can be helpful...But there is no harm in creating your own thread for a specific character! I'm doing Smash Sheik too! Its for A-Kon and I'm already having to simplify it...
For the waist armor I'm going to try stuff fusible craft interfacing. I just can't seem to find the right shade of grey/blue material...
The sheath is for a sword, in the manga he has a small blade, but I plan on using it to hold my needlesany way!

Wow, I should check that sword thing in the manga out. Thanks for an idea

Tamlin
05-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I posted in the smash thread but I'll put it here too...
Here are my ref pixs for Sheik Brawl-
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/tamlin_haven/Sheik/
Don't have a Wii but a friend dose and got the trophy so I could take pictures!
Looks like the arms are: black top with blue mesh and then the arm armor...
I'm doing the arm stuff out of upholstery pleather and punching holes in it with a gromit maker, but w/o the metal things...

Katsumiyo
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, all right. But I didn't really want to take a thread that looked to be about general costume discussion and tips and try to turn it into a me-focused "help me with this costume, I don't know what I'm doing" thread.
I'll post in the other threads, too, but it never hurts to have a thread to yourself.
It does though, because you're pushing down the threads of other people that might have a more legit question not pertaining to a pre-existing thread.
General costume discussion has its own forum. If you'd taken any time at all to look through the Zelda thread, you'd see people are posting links to their costumes and asking plenty of questions about patterns and materials.
The Brawl thread...well, they're all just a little excitable. xD;

captain0marauding
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I've been working on a wooden Shiek tanto, I expect it to be done tomorrow, if I work hard enough. I'll post pics later.

captain0marauding
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
http://captain0marauding.deviantart.com/art/Sheik-Tanto-85774460

I'm done my Sheik Brawl tanto.

Radiant Nightmare
09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
*confused about which thread to post this in*

Now that AWA is over, I want to start collecting material to begin working on Brawl Sheik.
I plan on making the needles, the harp, the chain, light bow and arrows and the tanto.

First of all, should I start out with a full bodysuit or make it into a two piece outfit using leggings/tights and a stretchy shirt?

My plan is to buy one of the two and sew everything onto it. I already have a general idea of the other types of fabric I will need including stretch denim fabric.

If I decide to go with leggings, which out of these three materials should I go with?

http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/mile03.html

http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/cotlegbyeur.html

http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/stirleg1.html

akuriko
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Please post in the Smash Brothers Thread (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=7434) instead of bumping this old thread.

Radiant Nightmare
09-22-2008, 07:05 PM
sorry