PDA

View Full Version : Ganguro @ otakon and what else? Help!

sheenaringo
06-22-2003, 12:19 PM
I want to dress as ganguro for otakon because I really enjoy that fashion, but I also want to cosplay. I think I will dress up fri and sun at ganguro and then on sat do a character... But who would I be able to do if I have a ganguro look?:hafha:

Maryssa
06-22-2003, 02:09 PM
I dont really understand what you are asking... dressing up as an actual character on saturday has nothing to do with what you are on friday or sunday o_O

makonurikoryoko
06-22-2003, 02:24 PM
i think shes asking what ganguro characters are there... I think. If you want to do a ganguro character I would look into the manga Peach girl and also into GALS! Both are really good manga that involve ganguro girls... even though Momo isnt really... but you can find some cute outfits looking throgh the manga art. Oh and theres a Gals! anime too ^_^

DarkGunner
06-22-2003, 06:36 PM
*points at avatar* Peach Girl (character Momo) is way adorable for cosplaying even though she doesn't mean to be a ganguro girl. Like makonurikoryoko says GALS! is a good one cause it revolves mostly around ganguro girls. Good luck!

number18
06-22-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't mean to start some weird debate, but I am under the impression that GALS! is supposed to be about kogals, which are different from ganguro girls. Ganguro girls are the super tan ones with looooots of make-up and the platforms...kogals are like a level below the insanity that is ganguro! You should look it up on the web. ^_^ Not that it really matters what you call them, but personally I see the word "ganguro" and go yikes...thinking of all that make-up. Kogals are like, so much less harmful to me when I think of em. But that's my thoughts.

Anyhoot, yeah...look up about em - there is a website that gives all the terms of what is what. GALS! seems like a great idea tho, since Momo from Peach Girl doesn't really wear anything else besides her school uniform (cept in the art pics that aren't part of the story). Annnnnd that's all the characters/shows that I can think of right now. o,o; There is the whole fashion gang from Paradise Kiss, too...you could always do Miwako! ^_^

Oh yeah, and you probably know already, but there is an awesome Japanese fashion website out ... J-Streetyle.com (http://j-streetstyle.com/). ^_^v

Maryssa
06-22-2003, 08:10 PM
number18 would be correct. ganguro =/= kogal.

makonurikoryoko
06-22-2003, 09:42 PM
yeah thats true , but ganguro is a more extreme kogal. Heres the break down http://www.mizumi.nu/gals/get.htm

Ringo
06-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Yeah they actually make fun of Ganguro in Gals. Ran-chan rumbles with them quite often.
But gangaro still aren't as scary as yamanba. XD
I would say as long as you get the super orange tan and the eye make-up right you will look like one. Funky bleached hair would also be a plus.

Radical Urd
06-22-2003, 11:48 PM
Whoa why are we getting so technical! I think she just wants tan girls who wear cute clothes.... Geez..... Anywho! I say just do a Ganguro, just like how some girls just do lolitas not neccesarily any loli in partic but just a random loli

sheenaringo
06-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Number18 is right...I do want to go for the very tan, lots of make-up, almost yamanba look.....i was practicing the make-up yesterday.... VERY FUN! Thank you guys a lot for helping me. Maybe there is anime with ganguro somewhere...

Moogle Hiromi
06-23-2003, 09:36 AM
I remember reading a book that my friend has about ganguro girls. That orange tan with the extreme white eye make-up and such... it is so painful to look at! But it is just another fascinating fashion. I can't wait to see pictures of your costume when you do it, because I obviously can't go to Otakon!

Maryssa
06-23-2003, 10:19 AM
ganguro are yamanba. they are really freaky and ugly which is why they call them that (mountain hags)

sheenaringo
06-24-2003, 10:22 PM
no no no...ganguro are not yamanba
ganguro dont have white hair
and usually yamanba wear sequins and colors under their eyes...
yamanba are much more extreme.

number18
06-25-2003, 12:18 PM
=sniffles with happiness=

I just realized that your handle was sheenaringo, Sheenaringo...

I LOVE her! gaaaahaasa! =girlish fan scream= Ahhh, so fun. ^_^

Anyways, you must give us all pics of your costume/outfit. I am still trying to think of what a ganguro might be in. Maybe you could modify a character from Para Para Paradise (PPP DOES have chars, right?) or something. I know there's a ganguro right at the beginning of Lain. Hehe.

I can't think of anyone else. :/

Ringo
06-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Gangaro tend to wear really bright clothes that are trendy but also reflect any beachy style. Think short skirts and halter tops covered in bright pink hawain flowers. Absolutly need platforms the taller the better.
I totally forgot about Egg it's a ganguro magazine so if you have a japanese book store nearby see if they have it. ^^

This info on this book might help out too. ^^
http://photojpn.org/books/theme/ganguro.html

*edit*
This place has some good pics too.
http://www.livemusicstudio.com/mac/pages/ganguro.html

sheenaringo
06-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Yay...I love Sheena Ringo, plus my name is Sheena!!
I am thinking about cosplaying as her...I will have to get a wig if I bleach my hair. Also, I will have to wear light make-up!

sheenaringo
06-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Also, Number18....
Ganguro girls don't call themselves ganguro...they call themselves gals(gyaru)
they wouldnt want to walk around calling themselves "black face" nor would yamanba walk around calling themselves "mountain witches" and "hags"

Daitenshi
06-28-2003, 02:25 AM
I did Ganguro cosplay last year before AX:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=26513&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

The ganguro style is... special. I only saw a few when I was in Tokyo (then again, I was there in the middle of winter), but I saw many kogals. I love the kogal look~ light tan, lightly bleached hair, light, but cute make-up, fun clothes~ Nya, I can't wait to go back to Tokyo!

sheenaringo
06-29-2003, 02:28 PM
When I was in Japan, there were absolutely no ganguro...a lot of kogal, though! The school I went to was very strict so, I definitely didn't see anything interesting there except everyone trying to get near me to tell me how gorgeous I was. Even my friend's family were more excited about how I looked than seeing her after a see she had been away.... I got lots of nicknames like princess and barbie, though!!

Radical_Ed
04-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Other than ganguro characters from an anime there are the super cool role models in real-life Japan. ^^ Such as Namie Amura, Ka-tan, Buriteri..etc. ^^