PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing a book character costume?

MistressChi
06-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Besides Harry Potter and LOTR that is. I mean books such as Dragonlance, Sword of Truth, the Rhapsody Series/Symphony of Ages...or anything such as that....

kelldar
06-22-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm doing Susan from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series for Dragoncon... it's been about 75% done for nearly a year, lol :D

Nevernaut
06-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Do comicbooks count?

Hikaruchan
06-23-2003, 03:21 AM
I do eventually plan on doing Crysania from DragonLance

Moogle Hiromi
06-23-2003, 08:28 AM
If I could do one, I would be Abigail from Playing Beatie Bow. Such a plain girl... but her dress sounds cool. And people who have read the book would reckognise the dress!

Koumori
06-23-2003, 08:43 AM
I've been planning to do Sabriel from Garth Nix's book "Sabriel" for a long time. But chain mail is prohibitively expensive...

Yuna
06-23-2003, 09:17 AM
I would seriously die five million times over if ANY one EVER did Sabriel, or Lirael. The whole fishscale chainmail would be a *bitch* though. x__x

Koumori
06-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Yuna
I would seriously die five million times over if ANY one EVER did Sabriel, or Lirael. The whole fishscale chainmail would be a *bitch* though. x__x

Yeah, I'm also considering Lirael's outfit from the 2nd book because I'm a librarian and there's less in the way of metal bits... :) I'd probably cheat on the mail and use regular chain, though, because I haven't the slightest idea how to do fishscale without a forge handy. Actually I wouldn't know how to do it if I did have a forge handy.

Yuna
06-23-2003, 09:56 AM
for Sabriel, you could always buy a very very small confetti dot, dark silver fabric, line it with interfacing then cut the scales out, then finally glue them onto a base. Can you tell I've planned this out? I just don't have the money or time to make a Sabriel or even Lireal costume because I'd want to get REAL thick leather for the belts and bandoiler and heavy wools, and really embrioder the keys/star sun things (that Lirael has in Abhorsen}, real bells, custume make the sword... okay, I'm rambling. OMG, I could never afford to do it the way I would want to. I'd be such a perfectionist down the EVERY detail, even make my nose swollen if I did Sabriel. *sigh* Dream costume there...

Koumori
06-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Yuna
for Sabriel, you could always buy a very very small confetti dot, dark silver fabric, line it with interfacing then cut the scales out, then finally glue them onto a base. Can you tell I've planned this out? I just don't have the money or time to make a Sabriel or even Lireal costume because I'd want to get REAL thick leather for the belts and bandoiler and heavy wools, and really embrioder the keys/star sun things (that Lirael has in Abhorsen}, real bells, custume make the sword... okay, I'm rambling. OMG, I could never afford to do it the way I would want to. I'd be such a perfectionist down the EVERY detail, even make my nose swollen if I did Sabriel. *sigh* Dream costume there...

That's a brilliant idea for the scales - I admire your perfectionism! I'd intended to emboss the key (or star, depending) pattern into velvet with metallic inks rather than embroidering it, since I know my embroidery skills are.. um.. lacking. For the bandolier I'm considering having one real bell (Saraneth probably) and using wooden jump-rope handles to fake the rest.

Lady
06-23-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying/crossplaying/something Vaysh from Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series. It'll be a challenge to look androdgynous, yet pretty, though! I'm thinking of just having a big, green, hooded cloak to hide the figure, so I only have to worry about the wig and making my face look right*nods*

Mmm...Hara...

-Lady

Alexeil
06-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Ah, I love the Rhaposody/Symphony of the Ages series! Never thought of doing a costume from there before, but it would definetly be cool!

MistressChi
06-24-2003, 06:12 PM
I would love to do a costume for the Symphony of Ages series. I really believe I could pull of Rhapsody with a little touch-up. I have her golden colored hair already, since it's naturel ^_^. I would just have to do a costume that would be recognizable. ::ponders::

ichigo
06-24-2003, 10:00 PM
If comic books do count I'd do Delirium from Sandman in an instant...Tons of fishnet, rainbow hair....
Lireal or Sabriel would be sooo cool. *cheers for Koumori and Yuna*

Ashe
06-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
I've been planning to do Sabriel from Garth Nix's book "Sabriel" for a long time. But chain mail is prohibitively expensive...

Oh my god, I would worship you. That would be sweet! (secretly plots to be a lazy white fluffy thing) ... You know, if you're willing to do chainmail rather than scalemail, it isn't actually that hard to do. Take grey or silver yarn and teach yourself to crochet (its really easy), and then spray paint it with some of that silver metallic paint to give it a bit of shine. Thats what the jousters at the faire do - it looks really good and they say its much more comfortable than actual chainmail.

My Jausserande costume is from the book The Cup or Morning Shadows, which is from the the Twelves Treasures series that never got written past book three. =p But Jaus is cool, so I had to do her.

lunasreincarnat
06-29-2003, 01:23 AM
at otakon im doing a character from a book called the Star Children... i wrote it my self... from prom i dressed up as the main character fromth e book Black Night i wrote that my self too

peaseblossom
07-02-2003, 09:47 PM
I am doing Death from The Sandman for Halloween and am entering the Dawn (Linsner's Dawn) look alike contest at this year's Dragon Con.

JustinCredible
07-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Going to do Jay and Silent Bob (most likely from 'Chasing Dogma'), eventually with some experience I'll do a Gen-X costume... or even do the Scarlet Spider.

ThatYaoiBoy
07-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I wanna do Lucivar from the Black Jewels Trilogy or even Char, the leader of the Cil Dru Dyath (sp? don't have book on hand with me at the moment)

wanuwashuu
07-14-2003, 10:28 PM
I eventually intend on doing an Owen Deathstalker from Simon R. Green's Deathstalker Saga

SynVanSiWes
07-16-2003, 11:59 PM
I think I'd like to play Tarnekep Portree from the Mageworlds series by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald. My boyfriend is all gung ho to play Jessan.

Arch_Angel_Mika
07-23-2003, 09:49 AM
I always wanted to do a Janus costume from The Giver. I love that book! So sad yet so true! Pretty scary now that I think about it.

Arch_Angel_Mika
07-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Opps....Typo. Jonas. I always pictured Asher as being Cute too. ^_^

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 04:50 PM
I'd love to do a League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen group ala the Allan Moore/Kevin O'Neal graphic novels. I have no choice but to be Hyde but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. The idea engeneering of a Hyde Suit is intruiguing and appealing. :)

! Kaijugal !
monstergirl

Karisu-sama
08-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Sabriel!! XD! I've also wanted to do that, or Lirael... in my copious free time (which isn't ;_; ) actually, Lirael is a great excuse to borrow a wonderful black Labrador Retriever for the Disreputable Dog (LOVE that character!! )....

I cosplay Killashandra Ree from Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer novels at SF cons...

Eleryth
08-07-2003, 10:55 PM
I've actually started two of them, and have plans for one more... but alas, due to time constraints, they are in various stages of completion.

As for what they are, my bf wanted to go as the War Wizard (black and gold) from Sword of Truth, and, as logically follows, I would be Kahlan in her Mother Confessor Dress. MC dress is about half done, but I got behind on anime costumes and so its still in my sewing box in storage back home. The third one, in case you were wondering, would be as a Mordsith. I love them. I love red. I love pleather/leather. But its a pain to find that perfect material....

And so what if the only Mordsith I look like is Denna, and she never sees the war wizard costume...

Pantsu_chan
08-12-2003, 02:50 PM
What about Shannara cosplay from Terry Brooks' long running series? That would be wild.

Pantsu_chan
08-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Karisu...how did you do Killashandra's cutter? I've pondered Pern cosplay for a long time, but I'd never thought of Crystal Singer cosplay!!!

Mandy Mitchell
08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
I do know of people re-creating costumes based off of Jane Austen's time period in her books.