PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU get this style in a wig???

number18
06-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Well, I've decided that I might as well do this costume since I keep thinking about doing it. Dunno when I'll actually get to making it, but I'm definitely intent.

I'm going to cosplay Slann, a demon from Berserk. The rest of her "costume" :rolleyes: look fairly simple as far as constructing it. But her hair! Christ! I'm attaching a pic to show ya'll. Her hair is like Medusa's hair, cept with no snake heads. In the manga, from the few pics I've seen, it looks ...well, I'll try to post a pic of it, but it looks basically the same, cept with this crazy texture to it. I have...absolutely no clue on how to go about this.

Should I just try to dread the wig hair? Should I try to make something out of foam (I can't begin to imagine how)? Should I just kind of try to style a regular wig in a clever way (aka - just style it and not try to acheive the snake-ness)? I have no clue. Any ideas would be very welcome.

The one solution that I've thought of that might work is taking the right sized wire and working it in with the wig, then somehow twisting the hair around the wires to make it all snake-like...kind of like how people do pippy longstocking braids.

Anyhoot - help!

Koumori
06-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Since it's unlikely that there'd be enough hair in a wig to create that many dreads, what I might do is to dread what's there, then make additional dreads and sew them in. You can get synthetic hair and a great dread manual from Doctored Locks at www.drlocks.net .

Um. That's a mighty.. revealing.. top she's got on there.

number18
06-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Koumori

Um. That's a mighty.. revealing.. top she's got on there.

lol. Yeah I know. FYI, she is naked as a jaybird, cept for that collar, corset and wings. I plan to just bodysuit it up! And I just couldn't bring myself to want to cosplay someone as ...er, naked as her...but she's just so EVIL I can't pass her up!! >.<!

That sounds like a good idea though...buying more hair and dreading it. And that site looks quite helpful, what with the lingo and all. I probably would have come to the idea of using extensions and whatnot if I still lived in the damn city and I walked by those stores every day! Yargh, I miss Philly...but I digress. I'm a little uncertain how I'd sew the extensions in, but I'm sure how to do that will become apparent when I get there or somethin...

Koumori
06-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by number18
lol. Yeah I know. FYI, she is naked as a jaybird, cept for that collar, corset and wings. I plan to just bodysuit it up!

You are a far braver woman than I!

I can't recommend Doc Locks highly enough. If you look in the "Kits" section you'll see her dread manual and other stuff for sale. And she's super-nice and SUPER-fast (she's been accused of living at the post office). She made the gorgeous dreads for my Toshiya costume.

number18
06-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Hah, I dunno if you can call me the braver woman. More like the crazier one. Yar har har...

Did I hear you say she made the dreads for your Toshiya? Did you mention that in the first place and I just missed it? Hmmmm...

Koumori
06-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Did I hear you say she made the dreads for your Toshiya? Did you mention that in the first place and I just missed it? Hmmmm...

She did, though now I've learned how to do it for myself (thanks also to her) and it's dead easy. That wasn't a wig, though; it was a bunch of individual dreads knotted onto a piece of heavy elastic. I put my own hair into a bun and tied the fall on over that.

number18
06-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Interesting. I read some thing on how to dread human hair...does all the backcombing stuff apply to synth hair? It seems like trying to do that to synthetic hair would break it or something.

Raya
06-26-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm usually a major lurker, but in all my years of cosplaying, I've discovered a few ways to make a wig do what you want it to... I think the best way to make the wig look GOOD without ratting the hell out of it would be to separate it into cord-like strands and use curlers. If you have large molecular steam curlers, do up the wig like you would do your own hair. You want to use large because you don't want corkscrew curls. With synthetic hair, it will help if you put some gel on your hands and coat the strands before you put them up in the curler. It will help them to stay separate when you take out the curlers. Leave them to dry COMPLETELY over night or maybe a few days just to make sure, and then take them out carefully so that you preserve the individual strings of hair. You can further style with a little hairspray to give it a little volume.

Don't worry, the steam curlers will not melt the synthetic hair. I've used them on wigs before, they work *beautifully* as long as you use the gel on the hair before you put them in.

It will look smooth and shiny and pretty! Good luck!
Raya

Koumori
06-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Interesting. I read some thing on how to dread human hair...does all the backcombing stuff apply to synth hair? It seems like trying to do that to synthetic hair would break it or something.

Yes, the process is similar and involves tons of backcombing and then matting/shrinking using heat (even hot tap water can work). I don't know if there would be enough hair in the wig to make a big style like that without using extensions of some kind.

number18
06-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Hmm...

=lots of chin rubbing=

Now I'm wondering if I should first try out techniques on my old #18 wigs and buy the dread book or just try out stuff...

...or if I should just order a wig from Karaoke Kate, if it would be cheaper or about the same price or something. Cause I was looking into corset materials today...lol...I've certainly chosen a pricey costume for it just being a naked chick...

Koumori
06-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Ooh, ooh. For corset materials I always buy from Farthingales at www.farthingales.on.ca - their prices are good because they're in Canadian dollars, and they know *everything*.

number18
06-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Interesting. =will turn this into corset chat for a moment=

I found this site during my random searching of corsetry. It seemed pretty cool...I just have no clue on what materials I would need to make what I need (not at the moment anyway).

http://207.36.56.114/supplies/supplies.html

But upon seeing things and looking at the char (and I'm posting a pic with this post), I think I'd be better suited to get/make a waist-clincher. I dunno if they're that wildly different from corsets, but maybe they're not as binding? But yeah, the costume involves something that looks like a corset, with a point at the top and a ruffle/clam edge thing at the bottom. I'll just post the pic...

Ahhh the evilness...

Koumori
06-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Don't know that company, so I can't comment on them... there's no difference between a corset and a waist cincher as far as construction is concerned; a waist cincher is an underbust corset that tends to be shorter at the bottom as well (most corset styles extend at least partway over the hips). You will need a strong, tightly woven fabric for your main construction, and you might want a fancier fabric for an outer layer. You'll also need bones, bone casings, bindings, and some way to get in and out of it (lacing, busk or a combination of both). For the ruffle at the bottom.. well, hmm. I think I would probably flare the bottom of the pieces out slightly, and stop the boning an inch or two above the "ruffle" so as not to stiffen it.

Raine
06-28-2003, 12:15 AM
About the wig.. just to add my opinion.. it doesn't look as though she has the dread look, it just appears as if it's the style that it's drawn. If I were you, I'd just get a blue-ish wig for it o_o But that's just me, and if you wanna go through all that effort to achieve the proper look, you're really dedicated. Go you ^________^

cutekawaii
06-28-2003, 01:50 PM
ok, why is it i cant navegate dr lockes for the life of me1?!?! i cant find ANYTHING on there except plan old hair extentions for black people. >_O

where are the dreads?! they tokyokalon!? WHERE!?

Koumori
06-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii
ok, why is it i cant navegate dr lockes for the life of me1?!?! i cant find ANYTHING on there except plan old hair extentions for black people. >_O

where are the dreads?! they tokyokalon!? WHERE!?

Wow. Because apparently she's redone the site to make it impossible to find anything. I tried looking for stuff just now, and it's a real challenge.. which is a REAL shame since she's so good. I can tell you that she doesn't sell premade dreads, but she has an excellent dread manual and/or kit. Unfortunately the "Kits & Videos" link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. >_< I do recommend e-mailing her if you're looking for something specific, as she is super-fast with e-mail.

carly579
06-28-2003, 06:52 PM
I don't know you may look into like a rubber foam wig type thing. Somthing really flexiable. I've never understoond where or how people get those things, but it might be an interesting look.

kuro_nezumi
06-28-2003, 09:15 PM
The character's hair doesn't have that frizzy look that dreads give off. So you could just buy a wig in that color and put it in alot of pigtails. We tried this with my friend's hair and she did kinda look like Madusa. But I don't know how well it would work with a wig though.

number18
07-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah (this is to everyone) about the dreads, but it's really the only thing close to her hair that I can really get my hands on doing.

Just now I got the thought of maybe getting some kind of cap and making the medusa hair out of like...creepy crawlers material (you know, the plastic, gooey bugs), but I'd need a mold, the material in the first place...and the thing would probably weigh an absolute ton. :/

=continues rubbing chin=

TyJILDown
07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Good luck with Slann...I was debating doing her for awhile but with me being intimidated trying to do her wings and my lack of *ahem* chest drove me away. *One day shall do Caska*

number18
07-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Oh nonsense on the chesticles! Heh. Yeah her wings are the most daunting tho...well, aside from all the rest of her costume. They're just so friggan huge and I STILL can't tell exactly what their shape is. :P

Did you ever or are you still planning on getting a tattoo of Caska's brand? ^_^v

KaraokeKate
07-09-2003, 02:27 PM
I just thought of two ways to make this wig while I was eating my lunch. (oddly enough, spaghetti...)

"The heavy way": I know this sounds dumb, but bear with me. She's medusa, so her hair is snakes, right? Ok, what about those cheap rubber snakes you can get by the gross from Oriental Trading Company? (The perfectly round ones, not the flat ones.) If you chopped off their heads, and painted their bodies blue, you could make a wig from them.

"The Time-Consuming Way": Use a standard wig long wig with no bangs. Hang the wig upside down on a form and separate the hair into chunks. Then holding one combed chunk in your hand, spray it with water until it's completely saturated. Form it into a long tapered tube with your fingers, and using matched thread, wrap the outside in a widely spaced criss-crossing pattern. (like when you're doing ribbons up your leg for ballet shoes...) Then lightly hairspray.

This is the method I used on the side pieces of the Medusa I did to keep the leng sections gathered like that.

Anyhow, just an idea.

number18
07-09-2003, 02:54 PM
whoa. Good ideas. I really have to go buy a cheapo wig and try this stuff out. I'm not sure how to make the heavy way work, tho....like....I imagine it might keep sliding off your head or something, even with bobbypins and the like. What would be even better than random rubber snakes would be the rubber snakes with the bendy wire in them, and that way I could style them kinda.

=and STILL continues rubbing chin=

EDIT: That time-consuming way seems pretty good. Less expensive than dreads, more than likely. Do you have any pictures of this Medusa wig you made, Kate-o-sama? That'd be really helpful. And did the shape stay well?

newmyu
07-17-2003, 03:16 PM
I've actually seen pictures of people who have sewn 'wigs' for things like this. They looked awesome (IMO) and really stood out from the rest, plus they were able to get the _exact_ look they were after.

If I get a chance and remember tonight, I'll scan the pic from the magazine I have of the person that did it.

It's an idea at least!

Cyber Wolf
07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Hmm, her hair kinda resembles plastic to me...

I would suggest getting blue vinyl, cutting it into the hair shapes, sewing the pieces, stuff the hair into the little vinyl sleeves, and then sew the thing to the wig cap. I bet it'll take long, but it'll look real plasticy just like her hair ^^;;; Oh, and it'll probably be somewhat heavy...

number18
07-18-2003, 01:04 PM
ooh wow that's a good idea. I could sew the wig from vinyl or some other shinyish fabric...and I could even but some wires in there to make them poseable and intertwine with each other like Slann's hair does. What a niiiiiice idea...yes. This one seems the best yet, to me...

Cyber Wolf
07-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Yay, I have good ideas, lol. ^^ Be sure to put up pics if the wig, after you complete it in one of the various ways mentioned ^^

number18
07-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Hmm...I just watched the 5th Element and was staring at the Diva during her opera scene...and I was like whoa...that...that's like Slann's hair! These weird wiggly tubes of something. I'll have to find out what they made those out of or something. Being able to make a tube and then perhaps put a support structure (like a pipe cleaner or some crap) inside to pose the "snakes" ...it'd be really helpful. But does anyone possibly know what they could have made the Diva's ...hair thingies in the 5th Element?