PDA

View Full Version : White/pale face make-up

Slyangel
06-18-2003, 09:07 PM
:confused: i wanna cosplay mana i dont know where to find anywhite face paint i live in Pennsylvania could someone tell me where i could get some i had some but really didnt work -_-;;

i would really appreciate it :schitzo:

Kaede
06-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Do you have access to a credit card? If you do, then you can get Manic Panic Goth white powder or cream at www.manicpanic.com. You could also try ebay where you could send money orders or cash.

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-20-2003, 02:37 AM
I've tried to used some halloween makeup but it doesn't seem to work quite well as the white doesn't spread evenly. Any sugguestions? (or should I just buy an extra halloween makeup pack and thicken it?!)

Maki

archangeli
06-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Go down to Malabar on Queen St. They sell all colours of great theatrical make-up. (white included)
If you give them a call they can probably help you out too.

www.malabar.net

Neko-san
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
I used white theatre makeup that we had lying around the Drama department... My friends were so jealous!

yuzuriha
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
maybe ...chalk...?
when i was stroke by the chalk dust,all white...X_X

archangeli
06-20-2003, 10:33 PM
chalk would be terribly messy

Whatever make-up you use (oil-based/ water-based/ Halloween crap): use a make-up sponge to apply it. Using your fingers will just make streaks and an uneven application.

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-20-2003, 11:05 PM
heehe~ Thanks for the tips guys!!!

Skullez
06-23-2003, 12:04 PM
just dont use halloween make up ! i was a Geisha for halloween and i used like a pound of white face cover adn powder..it took hours to get it on just right for it to only last 3 hours atleast. i ended up washing it off cuz it starded toget extremly hot at the party.
try looken at japanese sites and stuff for geisha and see if they have anything for sale. my friend was powder for halloween and she used this one face cream that worked like a charm but saddly i dont rememebr the name

Lilli
06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Which Mana look are you going for? Uber white, or just unearthly pale?

Osiris N
06-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Hmm...anythign white I use is Ben Nye theatre makeup. It CAN be pretty costly (6.50 for a small thing of it), but you can find it at any costume shop. Just look for costume shops and/or costume rental/retailers in your yellow pages.

-Osiris N

Lilli
06-25-2003, 07:42 AM
^^; That's pretty much what I was going to recommend. Ben Nye's Clown White is awesome. I prefer the cream, but ya... You really should apply it with a makeup sponge. Then you have to set it with powder, but I guess it dosn't really matter, as long as the powder is white. I've even used baby powder before in a pinch, but it's not quite as white as you might think it is ._.; But hey, Ben Nye ALSO sells a white setting powder for his makeup, so that would probably be ideal ^^;;

But if SlyAngel is trying to go more for just the unearthly pale look, then Kaede's suggestion of Manic Panic's white foundation and powder is probably better. Those won't give the opaque appearance needed for some of Mana's more dramatic makeup looks, but will certainly whiten your skin quite a bit...

Sarial
06-26-2003, 05:04 AM
I like pure powder with foundation...but from my experience it does get splotchy...sniff...
i might look into that ben nye stuff...
im a M.A.C boy myself and i like their foundations but their not white enough, so i got this cheaper stuff but...sniff...i will try that ben nye stuff ....just hope it doesnt make me white white white...just ...white
i dont want the porceline doll look...just....lets get down and dirty white because im so young white.......er...maybe whiter...
er....that wasn't a very helpfull post....just a confusing one....
i think im gonna get all cuddly under some covers now and look innocent

twilighthush
06-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Cross check the thread I just made at "Visual Kei Makeup" -- there's some stuff there about whiteface..

And MAC *does* make pure white foundation -- you just have to get the cream based type. ^__^

Sarial
06-26-2003, 10:45 PM
GET OUT OF HERE! M.A.C does make a pure white!? .............excuse me while i investigate

drake
06-30-2003, 11:22 PM
I've talked to people who have used the manic panic and they said it worked really well for them. I've only got third person information, tho.

Osiris N
07-01-2003, 05:29 AM
Hehehehehe..."Magnum"...HAHAHAHAH!

Never tried Manic Panic...hmmmmm...

tsugaru
07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
As others have said, use Ben Nye or Kryolan they are the best and most definately worth the cost. Ive used both many times for a few jrock costumes as well as my moogle haha talk about a freaking contrast.

BloodDragonW
07-08-2003, 12:55 PM
So you have to use the creame and the pouder or am I just getting myself confused...

tsugaru
07-08-2003, 09:32 PM
i just use a cream based foundation for the white, and go from there if details are needed (see eye shadow etc)

ChocoKyo666
07-10-2003, 08:32 PM
is the Manic Panic white foundation work?..cause if they do i'll buy some in NYC i can go there..

Neko_Kaolla
07-14-2003, 09:31 AM
I did a lot of miming in high school through my drama department, so I actually went out and bought "white face," which is what we call it. It is just white cream makeup that comes in a tube. You can find it in any store around Halloween, some party stores, costume warehouses, or on the web. Look for Drama makup and you will achieve success!

Neko_Kaolla
07-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah! It works best if you add a layer of baby powder after applying it! It keeps it on and makes it whiter...

Holly
07-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I used BN Ben Nye , super white professional face powder and cream its a clown make up company, got it a costome store works so good it doesn't come off unless you use make-up remover cream

coeli
07-17-2003, 12:50 AM
My preferred "white stuff" is clown white greasepaint. Mehron and Ben Nye are good brands, and I think Kryolan makes the stuff too.

You DO NOT want the stuff sold in little kits at Halloween, or any of the stuff that comes off with soap and water. That kind is very hard to apply without streakiness, and sweats off too easily.

You can get anything from ghostly pallor over your normal skin tone to paper-whiteness, depending on how much you use. A sponge can be a big help in getting it on smoothly, but you can also smooth out a lot of streaks by patting the makeup lightly with your fingertips over and over. (This is much easier to demonstrate than explain!) Patting it also helps set it so it won't rub off easily, though you will still want to use powder. I've always used plain talcum (from the baby care aisle - read the label and make sure you haven't grabbed cornstarch instead, because it clumps.) Dust off the excess powder and you're ready to go!

They'll try to sell you expensive makeup removers for greasepaint, but I've always sworn by plain old generic cold cream and LOTS of tissues. Don't forget to use soap and water, or whatever you usually wash your face with, to get the cold cream residue off afterwards. It's also helpful to have a friend check for any lingering traces of makeup around your ears and hairline.

--Coeli

Starlit Rose
07-25-2003, 01:47 AM
This is a really really dumb question, but I'm curious -- will whiteface save me from my easy-to-blushness? XD

Neko-san
07-25-2003, 01:54 PM
I ebileve it will

coeli
07-25-2003, 04:44 PM
If you are concerned about blushing and *don't* want to look very white, greasepaint may not be your best option. Anyplace that sells ordinary street makeup should have "corrective bases." These are makeup that's worn under ordinary foundation to "correct" natural color tendancies. For blushing (as well as any other kind of redness you want to cover, like some scars, birthmarks, or skin conditions), look for a greenish (!) base.

Put the corrective base on, then liquid or cream foundation. (If you want to be somewhat pale, get foundation lighter than your own skin; just remember that you'll have to be twice as careful to cover everywhere and blend the edges.) Voila, no pink cheeks!

--Coeli

cutekawaii
07-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Go with Ben Nye. I use the color cake rather than the creme, followed by some white powder. Results: http://moonglow.nu/nikkichan/pics/cos9.jpg pastey ass white

When I wore that once, someone asked me what I used. He said he tried to get the white look using professional clown make up, but it didn't work.

Ask yourself: What IS a professional clown??

nuriko001
07-26-2003, 11:50 AM
but, if it's greasy paint, wouldn't it look...greasy??? do you have to put like a matted facepoweder or something???

Susumari
07-27-2003, 04:02 PM
i got a question. is there a really really easy/fast way to get the stuff. like would anything be good in the regular stores or something.

coeli
07-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by nuriko001
but, if it's greasy paint, wouldn't it look...greasy??? do you have to put like a matted facepoweder or something???

If you set (pat & powder) greasepaint the way I described above, it will not look or feel greasy. "Velvety" would be a better word.

If you don't set greasepaint, then yes, it is greasy, and looks shiny and awful, and rubs off on everything.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

--Coeli

chesh
07-27-2003, 09:21 PM
You may be able to get the M.A.C. creme base in Luna at department stores with a M.A.C. counter. You should definitely be able to get Ben Nye clown white or white creme base in theatrical stores and some costume places. Drugstores, not so much (the off-brand clown white is usually too much of a pain to work with).

Beware_UY7
07-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Any recommendations for eyeliner. I'm incompetent with liquid liner and pencil liner fades really quickly... Does anyone have any experience with cake eyeliner?(Like Ben Nye makes; the stuff you apply with a brush) I've wondered how well it works, and even poked at the container while doing my makeup for plays, but i've never used it. Is it any good?

Susumari
07-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Beware_UY7
Any recommendations for eyeliner. I'm incompetent with liquid liner and pencil liner fades really quickly... Does anyone have any experience with cake eyeliner?(Like Ben Nye makes; the stuff you apply with a brush) I've wondered how well it works, and even poked at the container while doing my makeup for plays, but i've never used it. Is it any good?

well no i haven't about the cake eyeliner. but with the liquid eyeliner..it works good if u use waterproof. cause b4 when i was in dance i used that. just saying.

Moogle Hiromi
07-30-2003, 11:01 AM
I got liquid liner with a brush.... [?] wouldn't that be the same? Or one with like a felt tip type thing.... You can get both from Avon. :p

chesh
07-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Brand for liquid liners really matters. Some of the brands of waterproof stuff flake off (like cheap acrylic paint), and some of the normal stuff rubs off as badly as pencil. I use Maybeline Amazing I-Liner (they may have changed the name, it's been a while since I had to restock), which isn't waterproof, but stays well.
I find it's also easier to apply than most, as it's in a little pot, so the brush is much shorter than usual, so you can control it better. If you're bad with it now, just practice, practice, practice. It took me almost a year of occasionally messing around with it to get it right, but I'm now better than decent at it.

I've never used cake liner, but I'd assume that since it's theatrical, it's meant to be dramatic, not sweat off, and not rub off too badly. However, makeup for most plays and stuff only *has* to look good for about four hours, so you might want double-check it before using it for all day wear. Still, Ben Nye is usually awesome, so I doubt you'd have much to worry about.

Beware_UY7
07-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah, the thing is, eyeliner brushes for cake eyeliner aren't like liquid liner brushes, they're about 1/4-1/3 an inch long and flat. I use those brushes to apply eye shadow as a subtle liner. (If you put water on an eyeliner brush and then use eyeshadow it makes a nice eyeliner, but doesn't stay on well for long periods of time. Hm, well, in a couple weeks I have a production to do, so while I'm doing my makeup I'll poke over and use some.

blackmadonna
08-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Oh this is so helpful! I was thinking of starting a post about this myself because I plan to cosplay Mana at BAAF. Eee.

I have a question to add though..

I have *SUPER* sensitive skin.. is there any brand that won't make me all rash-y and yucky?

tatsuhamm
08-04-2003, 12:30 AM
don't know how well it'd go with super sensitive skin, but i was in a production of Pippin and we used a Ben Nye kit that had white, black, red, blue, green, and yellow (i think) creams. we were taught by apparently professional clowns that you're supposed to swip some of the white onto your fingers and rub it around until it gets warm. dunno if it's necessary, but the white covers very well and very evenly if applied well, and then we used cotton swabs for the other colours (twist it in one direction in the make-up so as not to make the cotton fall apart). i'd assume you could use it for eyeliner if you wanted something bold. it all comes right off with baby oil and paper towels.

EDIT: and of course, get someone to blow powder on your face to spread it evenly and lightly (close your eyes!!). then spray with a mist of water (don't get soaked and drip) and pat dry with a towel. i don't think i've ever had a problem with sweating the make-up off by doing this (and i HAVE sweat!).

Beware_UY7
08-04-2003, 10:24 AM
If you have sensetive skin, brands like Ben Nye will still work well for you, they're made to not irritate skin... unless you count the weird feeling of having thick stage makeup on... and it melting in the stage lights... and rawr.

I have really sensitive skin also, and most makeup makes my skin dry out really quickly, so I simply use a tinted mousturizer under all my stage makeup.

Whatever you do, just don't use cheap makeup, you probably know that already...

As far as Ben Nye makeup goes, you can order it almost anywhere online, or you can e-mail the people at Ben Nye (BenNye.com) at catalogweb@bennyemakeup.com and if you tell them your state, they'll give you a list of the stores that sell Ben Nye products in that State, along with addresses and phone numbers of the stores. They're also coming out with a catalog soon.

blackmadonna
08-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.. I was planning on checking out the Ben Nye makeup anyway.. but I did hear that MAC has a really white foundation?

The outfit that I'm going for isn't really a white look.. more like.. deathly pale.. so .. is it true about the MAC thing? Anyone..? Anyone?

Moogle Hiromi
08-04-2003, 09:30 PM
I know what you mean about practise. I have got the top lid down pat now. I did it with shiny blue yesterday and it looked cool. But I can't do the bottom lid still.... T_T
Then I went to bed with it on and I look funny now.

cutekawaii
08-09-2003, 03:07 PM
I personally use the dollar store eyeliner and I've never had a problem. I never use pencil, I always use the twisty stick kind.

Starlit Rose
08-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by coeli
If you are concerned about blushing and *don't* want to look very white, greasepaint may not be your best option. Anyplace that sells ordinary street makeup should have "corrective bases." These are makeup that's worn under ordinary foundation to "correct" natural color tendancies. For blushing (as well as any other kind of redness you want to cover, like some scars, birthmarks, or skin conditions), look for a greenish (!) base.

Put the corrective base on, then liquid or cream foundation. (If you want to be somewhat pale, get foundation lighter than your own skin; just remember that you'll have to be twice as careful to cover everywhere and blend the edges.) Voila, no pink cheeks!

--Coeli

Awesome, thanks a bunch! :D

Rosieal
08-15-2003, 06:49 PM
^^; Kaede's suggestion of Manic Panic's white foundation and powder is probably better. Those won't give the opaque appearance needed for some of Mana's more dramatic makeup looks, but will certainly whiten your skin quite a bit...

If you have a tanned skin, will it still work?

Decibella
08-22-2003, 04:24 PM
We tend to use Manic panic Goth white and the Ben Nye stuff, but we are unearthly pale to begin with since we live in a cave. hm, i didn't know there was a mac version either...sweet. As far as Mana White goes, don't forget that they up the contrast quite abit in photoshop...

QueenOfTheCrows
08-26-2003, 02:51 AM
I know a really good web site you could visit ,www.LuLumakeup.com
they have white foundations, campact powders, loose powders
and tips to tell you some good ideas on makeup , like using
white foundation then aplying an ivory/natural powder you can by at a market or where someone sells makeup ,you'll be white and not fake looking either. Or you can try the other way around, light natural foundation then aplying white powder, and use a makeup brush so
your face wont be cakey and so you'll look as though you really
haven't seen the sun in centuries .
:rolleyes:

Rosieal
08-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the link! However, the tips and tricks link was not working. X_X

Are there any tips and tricks to make the make-up look even all over? I'm talking about a pale face make-up here.

Edit: Added a question.

musica heart
09-08-2003, 05:04 PM
I have been looking into the been nye products and still have not come to a conclusion on which makeup to use. THe costume that I am doing involves the face, shoulders, back, and stomach to be painted.
I have had good experiance with the ben nye cake white, but I am in need of somthing opaque...any suggestions.
To add, I do not want to mess with sealers, but would the Magicolor Liquid paints work...

Sarcasm-hime
09-13-2003, 04:18 AM
At Worldcon two weeks ago I heard about a product by Grimas (a Netherlands company) which is a water-based paint which, according to the guy who I heard it from, doesn't come off until you use soap. Even water won't make it smudge or come off. ^_^ Haven't tried it myself yet though.

flowers_of_evil
09-17-2003, 11:16 PM
i use ben nye skelliton white it has a touch of grey in it soooo its not super brite like clown makeup

PretearWink
09-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Is there any tip anyone has about wearing something under greasepaint so you don't get really broken out and can protect your skin?

Lilli
09-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Ghooost! Sorry... I just never thought to peek back into this string...

*ahem* yes, and yes! The white makeup will of course make you look much paler, regardless of wether or not you've got tanned skin. You'd just not be as pale as someone with lighter skin. And it's very possible to achieve a well-blended look with paleface makeup, just take your time and practice. And use makeup sponges O.o It's probably offensively hard to do with fingertips.

It's always best to work with a clean canvas, as it were. Make sure you clean your skin really well, and then moisturize very well at least 15 minutes before you put on the makeup. This will help discourage things like "smile wrinkles" or whatnot. (I guess some people have a problem with those? dunno.)

In regards to greasepaint... Hmmm. If you are highly prone to breaking out... but must wear greasepaint... I'd suppose as long as you moisturized before-hand, (I should imagine that would help protect your skin at least somwhat) and made sure to clean your skin really well afterwards, (remove the paint properly with cold-creme, I learned the hard way not to scrub it off forcibly! owwie!) and follow your normal skin-care methods... I wouldn't think it'd cause a big problem?

The truth is, I have no idea whatsoever, muahaha ^o^ People's complexions are very personal, highly volatile things. What might not cause a problem for one person might make someone else break out horribly.

PretearWink
09-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Thank you Lilli! I was just wondering because someone told me wearing greasepaint makes you break out horribly @_@ *jots down moisturizer* Thanks again!

Lilli
09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
No problem, PretearWink ^-^ If you're prone to breaking out, then especially take caution to choose a moisturizer appropiate to your skin type! :3

I've never broken out from wearing greasepaint... I've just wound up looking 'sunburned' when I forcibly scrubbed it off my flesh, lol! Then again, I don't have horribly oily skin, and am not normally given to bouts of breaking out. (Although the Baltimore air really is horrid for my skin, and I've had more blemishes lately than I ever did when I would have -expected- to have skin problems... i.e. back when I was in the 15-21 age range...)

Susumari
10-30-2003, 04:52 PM
..i got a question, sorry if this has been already asked. but i have the ben nye stuff. how do u keep the stuff from getting everywhere. like so it isn't that moist

archangeli
03-31-2004, 08:32 PM
..i got a question, sorry if this has been already asked. but i have the ben nye stuff. how do u keep the stuff from getting everywhere. like so it isn't that moist

Apply it with a DAMP (not wet) makeup sponge.

And as long as you use a Makeup Sealer type of product (like Mehron's or Ben Nye's) the white makeup won't smudge. Check out my gallery for a pic of when I was goofing around with white face makeup.

I splashed my face with water and blotted gently with a towel and NOTHING had moved or smeared!! :p

darkenedxstar
03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
I am just wondering... are there actually WHITE foundations you can just buy at a drugstore or ANYTHING close to white in a local drugstore. It is because I don't really want to go to a theatrical makeup store nor do I want to buy something online. I prefer just going to my local drugstore... has anyone bought something from a drugstore that is close to white? I don't want a white WHITE kinda white if you understand. I want a pale skin face... but still... you notice white yet... not alot. How would I get that without going to a theatrical store... or would I have to go to a theatrical store??

archangeli
03-31-2004, 09:37 PM
If you powder your face heavily with translucent powder you will get a "pale" look... but it will be "drugstore pale."

Rimmel makes a pearly white eyeshadow in a tube that might work but from my experience it sinks heavily into lines and pores after a while and looks fake.

Duncan
03-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Clown White usually looks like butt. I would just go for ivory liquid foundation and translucent powder. Just depends on how much you use.

darkenedxstar
03-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas... well, then... the way you say that it will look fake when it gets into pores and stuff... that really sucks. Though I don't think I have any :/ But still... incase, lol. What about that sealer thing that you were talking about earlier, archiangeli?

archangeli
04-01-2004, 12:10 AM
there are different brands - but they will only be found in theatrical makeup place ^_^

The upside is that they will make ANY makeup waterproof and smearproof. They one I bought it from Mehron and cost me about $8 for a 30mL spray bottle (which should last me forever)

If you live in Toronto or Ottawa I can point you to Malabar.

Cat Scratch
04-01-2004, 12:21 AM
First off only use what you need. Ben Nye is pretty thick and covers real well so you only need about 2/3 what you think you'll need. I tend to put on what I think I need and then whipe some of it off with a tissue, This helps to even it out and get rid of any excess make up you really don't need. My make up teacher taught me that trick. Secondly make sure you are using the normal foundation and not Clown White. Clown White will stay greasy even if you powder it. So if that's what you have find the creme foundation and try that.

As far as powder I have only one sugestion. Merhon Magic Powder. It's a professional theatrical setting powder with an antipersperant in it that will keep your make up from rubbing or sweating off. The translucent works great and absorbs any color it's put onto so that with in 5 mins of aplication it looks like you never put powder on. Great if you are worried aboud your eyeliner turning grey with powder. It won't with this stuff. Basicly put it on a puff pat it on your make up and then brush off the exsess with a powder brush.(Another trick my make up teacher taught me) If you are looking for a purly sheen brush a little Eye shadow over it. But not too much or it'll look gross.
Theres also stuff called barrier spray. Ben Nye and Graftobian both have some. It's basicly a setting spray for make up and requiers no powder. It'll do the same thing as powder but I find it feels a lot like hair spray until it drys.Afterword you can't tell it's there. It dose not however last through sweat and water like the Merhon Powder dose. So depending on what you will be doing it may or may not be right for you.

Apsara
07-31-2004, 01:48 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/photo.php?photo=14024&exhibition=117&u=1-190

So~o can any of you guess what this cosplayer (Kabuki Boy I believe) has on or even how he did it so perfectly? This is exactly the even, matte white I need. My natural skintone is a caramel hue with a distinct orange/yellow/pink undertone. I need the make up to cover my face, ears, behind the eyers, and entire neck.

Apsara