PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to dye wigs?

Sala
06-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Does anyone out there know how to dye good quality wigs? What type of dye should I be using? Will fabric dye work, or is that just gonna end up all splotchy?

Setsuna22
06-23-2003, 11:16 PM
I would also like to know this! I just can't find a long enough purple wig anywhere for the costume I'm doing, and I'd like to dye a blonde one, if this is even possible...

Sala
06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
I've searched for 2 straight days in all the forums, and I have yet to find a thread that tells me exactly what to use for dying wigs. I have seen a million threads telling me what NOT to use...
CAN ANYONE OUT THERE BE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT HOW TO DYE WIGS?!

Pendrell
06-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Well, did you run across the 'dying wigs with acrylic paint' thread? That one doesn't go into exact details, but it's thorough enough. Also, since Sy's posted her marker-coloring method, that's also something to look into. The various threads here have covered RIT-dying; it's generally good for dying a wig a pale color. Seriously, there are a LOT of helpful threads around... you just have to dig 'em up.. oh, they're here somewhere. ^_^

Sala
06-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I looked at all those. And then at the one that Katie (from www.katiebair.com) that said that none of those are good ideas. *sigh* How do so many people get dyed wigs when it seems that none of the options work? (I need to dye a 42" blonde wig pale blue)

I saw the threads about: acrylic dye, RIT dye, diffuse dyes, marker (permanent and otherwise), fabric paint, color hair spray (the holloween kind), etc. It seems that one person claims it works, then another person posts saying that it doesn't. I don't want to try dying a really expensive wig until I know something works.
And no offense to Katie Bair (I know she's trying to run a business and can't give away all her 'secrets'), but I'm not gonna pay $40 to have her dye this wig for me. I'm a poor college student who would like to pick up some skills that will be useful in future cosplaying...

A J
06-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Well part of the problem is that synthetic wigs are all made differently depending on the manufacturer. Different synthetics will handle differently to each method. I would suggest you clip some small swatches from your wig and start testing to see what works for your wig.

Maybe start with the permanent marker method as someone has already proven that that works. I'm one of the people who have used dispersion dyes on wigs and had it work. But you have to be careful or you will ruin the wig because of the heat involved. The other methods suggested are a lot less prone to accidents.

You may find that with all the experimenting, it will fast add up to $40. Katie's prices are very reasonable but if you want to do this yourself, you will have to invest something and there will be some trial and error.

Good luck! =)

Pendrell
06-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Haha, me too. ^^; I'm feeling the pangs of poorness right now. There isn't enough *proper* info on the acrylic dye method for me to try it and feel sure of getting a decent outcome. -_-;; Now, did Katie say she does a type of ink wash? Hm. The marker would take quite a while, but it seems to be the only method that looks practiceable right now. My mom's keen on finding some teal ink and just dunking the poor wig.. but I've got time on my hands, heck, I'll color it alllll with markers. XD

Edit: Yesh, AJ's right about Katie's prices.. they're VERY nice in comparison to other wig commissioners'. ^^ But I've got about fifty dollars total right now.. plus I need to get my wigs cut by my stylist. So anything even remotely expensive is out of the question right now. X(

SynVanSiWes
06-24-2003, 07:48 PM
I've used rit, specifically to make a blonde wig more yellow. It doesn't really stay well though. When dousing the wig with warm water to try to straighten out the damage that the hot dye water did, a good deal of the dye came back out. Although I don't care because I can just marker it now.

Prismacolor markers tend to be expensive just to warn you all. In retail stores they tend to go for at least $3 each. Ordering them online is cheaper but then there's usually shipping.

Moogle Hiromi
06-24-2003, 08:42 PM
I would reccommend using many methods... I used RiT on my Misha wig, but I will probably, get some spray and spray very lightly underneath to get a more streaky look. I know it will wash out. I used a brush to brush my wig, and this bristles are pink! Heh. Just play about. things like spray, marker and RiT won't wreck your wig. Oh and I know from experience.

Pendrell
06-24-2003, 09:06 PM
I just tried out one of my oddly-colored Sharpies on a tiny piece of my wig. Ah, waterproofness.. *beams* but doing the whole thing'll drive me to distraction. T_T Plus, yeah, PrismaColors are expensive-- but I've been asking for a set of decent markers for ages, so this is the perfect reason for me to finally get some. I'm actually leaning toward the acrylic paint now, though.. slightly faster, less tedious, etc. .. plus I found the perfect teal green color. e.e I'm so fickle. Anyhoo, I'm going to seek out the paint and try it out on the ends of the wig while it's long (it'll be ultra-short once it's styled).

Sala
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I'd love to use markers...but I can't imagine what the cost of THAT would be for coloring a 42" wig! *faints* What types/brands of acrylic dyes are people using (pendrell?) - and how much luck have you had with getting the color to stay.

My issue is that this blonde wig needs to become pale blue by Otakon and it's being worn with a solid white kimono (so any color rubbing off the wig will ruin the costume).

Well, thanks folks, for helping me out with this! And please let me know if any particular method works well!!!

Pendrell
06-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Can do. Unfortunately I'm shopping for dorm accessories tomorrow and the next day (with the help of a very put-out mother o_o;; ). I'll probably at least buy the acrylic paint or.. ink or whatever I end up with. ^^; I'm starting a special freshman college program on July 7th, so my mother's incredibly averse to me doing anything costume-related when I could be preparing myself for the move. e.e;

Aoi
06-25-2003, 03:12 AM
LOL. Sorry for corrupting the santity of this thread with my evil presense. Anyways, Pen-Pen-Chan :D :X XD. Apparrently thy mother is trying to get rid of you as soon as she can *nods*. No doubt about it. XD.

Pendrell
06-25-2003, 01:09 PM
*bops Aoi with a stick* AGH! Corrupted! How dare you! *lol* Oh well. You're absolutely right, you know. She wants to turn mah room into her own personal fitness center, I do believe.. she was muttering something about, "finally, a place to put all my equipment.." just yesterday. e.e; It ain't fair. My 21 year old sister still lives at home.. and her room is much bigger than mine. T_T But she's the spoiled one, so they'd never suggest that she move into a dorm room. BAH. [/rant] :D I feel rather unloved. *l* So, as my revenge, I'll make sure to get that wig dyed sometime this week. <_<

Jinx
06-25-2003, 06:07 PM
http://www.dharmatrading.com

And some previous discussion on this..
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13491&highlight=dying+wigs
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13123&highlight=dying+wigs

RIT dye doesn't work on wigs because it's made to dye natrual fibers, like cotton and wool. At Dharma Trading you can find dyes made for acrylic fabrics. I've never used it but I did find this out from a makeup and wig technician that came to visit my costume class. :P

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-25-2003, 06:44 PM
I haven't tried it b4 but just to give some suggestions...I am thinking maybe acrylics or some fabric colors. you can buy some fabric colors from fabric stores ^^.

A friend of mine dyed a wig for her doll b4 using food coloring colors!! LOL (those use fro easter eggs....no smell/taste LOL) It worked nicely so yoiu might wanna try taht as well

IdatenMiki
06-25-2003, 07:49 PM
ooooo....... food coloring.... i really wouldn't have thought of that... x_X'' only question is where to find it in the middle of june.... and before AX >_<''' *cries* nooooo <>_<>'' i have to get my wig done before i go. @_@''

Aoi
06-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Pendrell
*bops Aoi with a stick* AGH! Corrupted! How dare you! *lol* Oh well. You're absolutely right, you know. She wants to turn mah room into her own personal fitness center, I do believe.. she was muttering something about, "finally, a place to put all my equipment.." just yesterday. e.e; It ain't fair. My 21 year old sister still lives at home.. and her room is much bigger than mine. T_T But she's the spoiled one, so they'd never suggest that she move into a dorm room. BAH. [/rant] :D I feel rather unloved. *l* So, as my revenge, I'll make sure to get that wig dyed sometime this week. <_<

Lol, Sorry for Corrupting this thread with my presense again. XD.
Your mother should go to one of those 24 hours gyms instead of turning your room into a cheap gym with crap and obsolete equipment. At least those bastards gyms buy new equipment once in a while t and evil Hell-Like Saunas.
Anyways, as revenge instead of dying your wig you should dye your sisters hair with all of the colors of the rainbow:D while she is sleeping . O.O XD . I so hate spoiled people >.< Wait, i am one of those *coughs* Hipocrite* :X XD
Oh yah, last thing. Shugo-Nichan misses you. He thinks he scare you away *coughs* Lap Dance*coughs* and thats the reason you are not posting in my old goody goody intrdouction thread anymore. Well i kind of miss you too O.O.

Pendrell
06-25-2003, 11:21 PM
XD *lol* She's already dyed her hair all the colors of the rainbow. It didn't end up looking all that good, though. >_>;
Yes, you spoiled person, you. X) Of course, you'd be less spoiled if you.. say... gave some money. :D So I haven't stopped posting in your thread, as you'll notice. *thumbs up* How could I abandon you guys? *l* Who would you give all your ill-gotten gains to at the end of your lap dance shifts? ^_^ Me, suckah. Time to pay the piper. >:)

KaraokeKate
06-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Maki Yu.Ki.Ame

A friend of mine dyed a wig for her doll b4 using food coloring colors!! LOL (those use fro easter eggs....no smell/taste LOL) It worked nicely so yoiu might wanna try taht as well

Food coloring is vegetable-based. It's not going to stick to Kanekalon fiber. (Doll hair and wig hair are not the same...) o_o'

Moogle Hiromi
06-26-2003, 01:46 AM
That is so true... I have a lot of doll experience.

petitemusu
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm glad this thread is here ^_^ I was going to re-ask this myself. I had bought Rit dye, but am glad I haven't used it yet. I'm trying to dye a long brown tail red. I noticed most people are trying to dye blonde/white wigs. Does anything work on brown?

Thank you!

Oops...forgot to say that the tail is Kanekalon

~Yumi Aiko

Pendrell
06-27-2003, 12:01 AM
Just in case anyone knowleadgable about the acrylic paint dying appears in here... should some bleeding color be expected? I know Sharpie won't bleed once it's dry; I'm just wondering if this is the case with acrylic paint as well. ^_-

Moogle Hiromi
06-27-2003, 12:12 AM
petitemusu: You would need a sythnthetic dye... I am assuming the tail is made from synthetics?
You will need to remove the colour of the tail somewhat... I guess a light bleach, so it doesn't put any holes in it. RiT makes a colour remover.. I don't know if that would take on synthetics.

I am sorry, I don't know anymore.

Pendrell: I am not too sure, but I can be pretty certain from what I know that acrylic paint won't bleed. Acrylic is used to paint toys, and the only way I know how to get it off after it dries is to cover it in Clearasil, and leave in the sun for a few days. But out of the weather. But I guess I will point out that this is on dolls... from that experience acrylic paint does sound very risiliant!

petitemusu
06-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Moogle Hiromi - Thank you for answering ^_^ Yes, it's synthetic. Couldn't afford a real hair tail. Luckily a friend gave me a blonde tail so I don't have to worry about bleaching anymore. Saved me an extra step :)

Pendrell - I wouldn't think acrylic paint would run. I'm an acrylic painter and that stuff sticks to everything. If you spill some on your clothes it's dry and there permently in 30 seconds. Remember to use an apron! I would think as long as you don't get it wet it shouldn't run.

~Yumi Aiko

Pendrell
06-27-2003, 07:01 PM
*nodnod* Thank you both for your resonses. ^^ I'll definitely wear an apron.. I hadn't thought of that. e.e; I hope it won't run if it gets wet... but maybe that's asking for too much. *l*

Sala
06-29-2003, 10:37 PM
let me know if you have luck w/ the acryllics Pendrell!

Pendrell
07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Oh my. @_@ Well, waterbase acrylic paint doesn't exactly work for me. At all. And it seems that all the acrylic paint around here is waterbase. Maybe I'm just inept, but the color would not stick at ALL to the wig. ;_; I had the perfect color and viscosity, too... oh the pain of wanting to do things for yourself.
Oh well. After tomorrow I'll be hard up for time to do this. T_T And I'm too po' to buy a set of decent markers.

Sarcasm-hime
07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
All acrylic paint is water-based. If it's oil-based, it's not acrylic.

Pendrell
07-04-2003, 07:36 PM
... ergh. Things I wish I'd known. Perhaps the problem lies in the amount of water added... I suppose I'll try again tonight, but with less water this time... so it can't seep off the top of the dang wig. Frustration. Thanks for the info, Sarcasm. ^^;

petitemusu
07-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Oops...sorry I didn't mention about the waterbase earlier. I keep thinking everyone knows that >.< I tried using the acrylics for my braid. I was trying to turn a blonde wig into red and my mom thought it would be easier to soak it in a bucket. I left it in for about 2 1/2 days and it's red, just not "crayon" red. Oh..well...

~Yumi Aiko

Sarcasm-hime
07-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Keep in mind that from what I've heard, it usually takes more than one application to get a smooth, non-streaky colour.

More info re: acrylic paint...acrylic is a plastic, but the paints themselves are water-soluble. Once they dry, however, they're waterproof. Ideally with this method, the paint bonds with the plastic fibers of the wig.

silentshadow31
10-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Hmm...how about if I wanted to bleach thin highlighted streaks into a dark brown-black wig? If I separated strands and dipped them into a bleach solution, would that take the color out? How strong would the bleach need to be, without damaging the wig unduly? (It's a nice-quality synthetic fiber.) And then I could color them in with copper-orange colored markers? *wants to get this strategy confirmed before she starts diddling with a $40 wig...*

kazamaCEO
10-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Hey, was wondering if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it...

I'm planning on a Warcraft night elf cosplay and buying a long electric blue wig (best I can do for length). What can I do to make it look not so brilliant and kinda dull it down a little? Maybe even go to the point of making it blue-grey...

rushingwind
10-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Hmm...how about if I wanted to bleach thin highlighted streaks into a dark brown-black wig? If I separated strands and dipped them into a bleach solution, would that take the color out? How strong would the bleach need to be, without damaging the wig unduly? (It's a nice-quality synthetic fiber.) And then I could color them in with copper-orange colored markers? *wants to get this strategy confirmed before she starts diddling with a $40 wig...*

Hi ^_^ Actually, I wouldn't recomend using anything like bleach. I've never done so myself, but I can't imagine it would be good for the wig... even if it did remove the color, chances are it would leave the hair unstylable and pretty fried. What I would do in that case is buy an extention in the highlight color you need ( http://www.drlocks.net/ has some of the best quality and REALLY fast shipping ) and just weave it in... or right now I know Sally Beauty supply has some different colors of synthetic hair already mounted on barettes. You can pin those in very easily and save yourself A LOT of hassle. Hope that helps!

~Haruka Rose~
Borderless Inspirations
http://www.borderless-inspirations.com

Allia
10-13-2003, 10:51 AM
If I'm using acrylic paint won't it be globby in some places? Also are we talking about the good paint that professional artists use or the ones in those small plastic Cylindrical tubes? Will coloring/painting it ruin the styled and shape of the wig? Thanks. I want to color this wig cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45267&item=3432735660
to be more like Seras' from Hellsing. What would her hair color be called? Blondish-Orange?

Lil
10-13-2003, 09:53 PM
I used silver acrylic for my sesshumaru cosplay. You don't glob it on, but water it down so the hair keeps a little fluffy. Then just do repeated layers as one layer dries.

Allia
10-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Lil thanks. About what ratio would you suggest for the paint? three parts paint and one water? What is the consistancy I want to go for?

Sarcasm-hime
10-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Tristen Citrine described it as the consistency of kool-aid. Very watery. And keep combing the hair as it dries so it doesn't get stiff. ^_^

Allia
10-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Sarcasm-hime thanks for the info. I would have never have thought about combing the hair. My wig would have been a mess. Thanks again.

Kaori-chan
12-22-2003, 09:21 PM
But I thought you weren't supposed to comb wigs when they're wet! And wouldn't the paint make the wig all stiff and crunchy? And could someone who's done this successfully PLEASE type up some kind of tutorial-like thing? I'm trying to get my really long platinum blonde wig to dye silver/gray (either one would work), and I have NO idea where to start. I'm also too poor to just buy the nice one I saw on Witchwigs AFTER my other wig was already bought and half-styled..... *SIGH*

Pochi
12-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Wish I'd found this thread sooner- I have quite a bit of experience in coloring wigs...

Acrylic paint, properly applied, will stick to synthetic wigs. My Kouran/Lime wig

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=98826&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

started life as blonde, but after 30 grueling hours with an airbrush it's now a beautiful purple color. And yes, it is somewhat crunchy and stiff. To make it nice and shiny (craft acrylic dries rather semi-gloss) I gave it a nice coat of Armor-All.

I have also used RIT dye to tint a wig. My Kenshin wig

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=98827&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

was a horrible clown red color (like Ronald McDonald or Bozo) but after fourty-five minutes in a triple-strength bath of black RIT, it's a fantastic cherry red color.

The only other method I personally know to have worked well was used by a good friend of mine. She immersed a blonde wig for an hour in a bath of blue enamel paint mixed with paint thinner. She then washed the wig and hung it in her garage for two weeks to let the fumes dissapate. It turned a nice pale blue color and had no residual bad effects from the paint thinner- no smell or anything. And it's not crunchy like my Kouran/Lime wig.

The main advice I can give you is to try out whatever method you decide on on a locke of hair from the wig first. Wigs are WAY too expensive to screw up 'cause you're too lazy or in too much of a hurry to try things out ahead of time. ^_^

Good luck and happy dyeing!

Kaori-chan
12-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Yeah...the bad thing about wigs is that unless you have that kind of money, they're too expensive to mess up, which pretty much means you better be prepared to be satisfied with your results of your first try. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Needless to say, just buying a new wig is looking extremely attractive at the moment :p

Merry Christmas everyone!

lunasreincarnat
01-01-2004, 01:52 PM
i got a wig i need to dye orange.... and well im afriad of like dyeing it by diping it in water and what not cause it came pre styled... like selphie sorta.. eh so i dont know what to do.

Olivia
01-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Sharpie makers

'nuff said :thumbsup:

ainslye
01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Sharpie markers are excellent! I used them to put the stripe on my Ruby wig. It takes awhile, but it looks great.

lunasreincarnat
01-01-2004, 10:01 PM
do they make a yellow orange sharpie color?

Olivia
01-01-2004, 10:29 PM
do they make a yellow orange sharpie color?

http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/bycolor.jhtml

the official sharpie web site, shop by color

it doesn't have a yellow orange, but my suggestion would be to buy a yellow wig and orange-sharpie it, but before it dries wipe some of it off, so you can see the yellow beneath. I think that would work :)

Allia
01-02-2004, 09:21 AM
lunasreincarnat are you doing this wig for a Seras Victoria costume? I have been trying to find a wig for her in the right style and color so I don't have to dye or style it. If you do end up doing the sharpie thing please tell me how it came out. Thank you.

lunasreincarnat
01-02-2004, 02:04 PM
WAHOOOOOO THIS IS MY 666th POST!

lunasreincarnat are you doing this wig for a Seras Victoria costume? I have been trying to find a wig for her in the right style and color so I don't have to dye or style it. If you do end up doing the sharpie thing please tell me how it came out. Thank you.

no im not but the wig is very very close to her style i think. im doing aislin for vanitly (a short story) and she has like creamsicle colored hair and kitty ears lol.

and they didnt offer any colors close to what i needed other then bleached lol.

here a pic of the wig.

Olivia
01-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Ahhhh, cute wig! ^.^

But I don't think you could dye it lighter than it is. I mean, you can go darker but not lighter. At least with markers. I don't know about fabric dye or anything. For that, uhhh... I'd try fabric paint markers, if it was a one time only thing, because fabric paint can be washed out of wigs, I think. Oh well, that's my suggestion! :thumbsup:

Hime no Ryuu
01-02-2004, 05:20 PM
From what I hear, permanent markers are the best thing to use for coloring a wig. I haven't tried it myself, though, but I plan to. I also hear that you can't lighten a wig, though, only darken it. So worse comes to worse, start with a white wig, lol. :)

lunasreincarnat
01-02-2004, 10:05 PM
im not making it lighter... im making it orange.

ladysubaru25
01-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Looks like a few of you have had luck with Rit dye (as long as it does not require heat...) My question is this: exactly HOW much color will a synthetic wig take up with Rit dye? Looks like the results are a pretty pale color. I was thinking of getting a blonde wig, chucking it into some full-strength teal Rit dye, and praying for an hour. Not sure if the results would be what I was looking for though, and I don't really feel like wrecking a $20 wig in the process.

How dark will a wig get from this dye? I'm lookin' for brilliant- not pale here!

And I'm half tempted to try Pendrell's method with the Sharpies... (that wig looks GOOD!) if only I had the time to color a wig strand by strand! :waaaah:

lunasreincarnat
01-04-2004, 04:16 AM
[QUOTE=ladysubaru25]Looks like a few of you have had luck with Rit dye (as long as it does not require heat...) My question is this: exactly HOW much color will a synthetic wig take up with Rit dye? Looks like the results are a pretty pale color. I was thinking of getting a blonde wig, chucking it into some full-strength teal Rit dye, and praying for an hour. Not sure if the results would be what I was looking for though, and I don't really feel like wrecking a $20 wig in the process.

How dark will a wig get from this dye? I'm lookin' for brilliant- not pale here!

QUOTE]

$20 dollar wig isnt that great quality of a wig... so i dunno hoe much color it will soak up... im sure if you put a nice wig in rit dye and let it sit for like a day it will be fine.

KaraokeKate
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Looks like a few of you have had luck with Rit dye (as long as it does not require heat...) My question is this: exactly HOW much color will a synthetic wig take up with Rit dye? Looks like the results are a pretty pale color. I was thinking of getting a blonde wig, chucking it into some full-strength teal Rit dye, and praying for an hour. Not sure if the results would be what I was looking for though, and I don't really feel like wrecking a $20 wig in the process.

And I'm half tempted to try Pendrell's method with the Sharpies... (that wig looks GOOD!) if only I had the time to color a wig strand by strand! :waaaah:

If you're using a blonde wig to try to get Teal, you're not going to get what you're hoping for. The best you can hope for is muddy blue-green.

When I did both Subaru and Neptune (this was what Pendrell was talking about...) I started with a "Sky Blue" wig and the used Turquoise and Aqua Sharpies, repectively.

http://www.katiebair.com/wig_subaru.html

http://www.katiebair.com/wig_manga_neptune.html

Here are some of the colors that can be created using Sharpies:

http://www.katiebair.com/wigscolor.html

And more basic shades of Wig Dye:

http://www.katiebair.com/wigs_dyeinfo.html

RIT Dye, even for Synthetic fiber does not work well on wigs. I'm telling you this from the standpoint of someone who has been researching wig coloring for almost a year, and who has made over 120 wigs. Either you'll destroy your wig with the heat, or seriously alter the fiber quality, and the if the color does manage to stick, it will be very light. RIT Dye was not designed to work on wig fiber, it was designed for fabric. (Where the color could be trapped in the weave itself.)

-Katie

Kaori-chan
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
How much are you planning to sell your wig dye for? That looks really cool.

ladysubaru25
01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
$20 dollar wig isnt that great quality of a wig... so i dunno hoe much color it will soak up... im sure if you put a nice wig in rit dye and let it sit for like a day it will be fine.

True... I've been told that if you're willing to spend the cash on a "nice" wig (ie: real hair as opposed to synthetic) you'll have a lot more options when coloring it. Manic Panic would probably even work well on a real hair wig if it is light enough to begin with. It's the darned synthetic stuff that is resistant to EVERYTHING that you throw at it.

All hail the mighty Sharpie!!

When I did both Subaru and Neptune (this was what Pendrell was talking about...) I started with a "Sky Blue" wig and the used Turquoise and Aqua Sharpies, repectively.

Wow- those look really nice! And your gallery is mighty impressive as well. Just a quick question (out of admiration of your work...) how did you style the Neptune wig? Heat and synthetics are mortal enemies, and this looks like it was curled with a curling iron. How did you pull that off??

Darned teal... why on earth does no one ever make teal wigs?? :waaaah: Sky blue is a really easy color to get your hands on. And white would probably have similar results.

Thanks a bunch! Looks like I'll be buying stock in sharpies... LMAO!

lunasreincarnat
01-04-2004, 09:30 PM
True... I've been told that if you're willing to spend the cash on a "nice" wig (ie: real hair as opposed to synthetic) you'll have a lot more options when coloring it. Manic Panic would probably even work well on a real hair wig if it is light enough to begin with. It's the darned synthetic stuff that is resistant to EVERYTHING that you throw at it.

i wouldnt get real hair wig... its like 400 dollars for those wigs... just really nice high quality wigs work. like from wowwigs.com im using a prisma color marker and its working nice.

KaraokeKate
01-04-2004, 11:06 PM

Not true. You have just as many coloring options (and in fact more!) with synthetic fiber. You just need to know what to use. ~_^

Heat and synthetics are mortal enemies

Yet another common myth. Heat is essential to styling sythetic wigs, you just need to know what tools to use and how much is too much. You can not curl a synthetic wig with a curling iron. Period.

Darned teal... why on earth does no one ever make teal wigs?? :waaaah: Sky blue is a really easy color to get your hands on. And white would probably have similar results.

They used to make teal wigs, but they weren't very popular compared to the other colors, and were discontinued.

Sharpies are translucent, so the starting color greatly affects the ending tone. Starting with a white wig would give you a more washed out tone, and you'd have to apply even more ink. (After a while, this will start to degrade the fiber quality due to the alcohol in the ink.)

The "Sea Green" shade of wig dye is designed specifically for Neptune and Subaru cosplayers. On "Sky Blue" it produces Subaru's color, and on "Bright Green" it produces "Anime" Neptune's color. (Use on white for "Manga" Neptune.) You can also get Subaru's tone by overlapping Powder Blue onto Sea Green on a white wig.

-Katie

Olivia
01-05-2004, 12:30 AM
well if alcohol will eventually cause the wig fibers to alter in some way, then... aren't there any alcohol-free ink that might be available to the public?I was reading a page on it before, but I didn't know if alcohol-free ink was available for reasonable prices, heh. The alcohol substitutes have flashpoints which are much higher than isopropanol. The Alkaless-type substitutes have no "flashpoint" at all. Alcohol substitutes also include biocides, so they do not disinfect. They contain much safer ingredients than alcohol. Also, alcohol substitutes alter the conductivity very little, so it's almost just like alcohol.

KaraokeKate
01-05-2004, 12:39 AM
well if alcohol will eventually cause the wig fibers to alter in some way, then... aren't there any alcohol-free ink that might be available to the public?I was reading a page on it before, but I didn't know if alcohol-free ink was available for reasonable prices, heh. The alcohol substitutes have flashpoints which are much higher than isopropanol. The Alkaless-type substitutes have no "flashpoint" at all. Alcohol substitutes also include biocides, so they do not disinfect. They contain much safer ingredients than alcohol. Also, alcohol substitutes alter the conductivity very little, so it's almost just like alcohol.

The alcohol is what makes Sharpies work on wigs. Without it you might as well be using food coloring.

The alcohol will not damage the wig under normal circumstances. (For instance, hairspray contains alcohol as well.) It's just that if you put on like 6 layers of Sharpie ink (like to turn white into dark teal...) you will begin to notice a difference in the texture of the wig.

-Katie

Olivia
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
god damn it...

well thanks Katie :)

KaraokeKate
01-05-2004, 05:25 PM
No problem. I've been banging my head against the wall with wig coloring for so long now, I'm just try to save other people from the headache. >,<~*

Kaori-chan
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Random questions: Does sharpie-coloring make the wig you color smell like permanent markers? And is it safe to use that spray-on wig conditioner stuff after you've colored one?

Pochi
01-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Looks like a few of you have had luck with Rit dye (as long as it does not require heat...) My question is this: exactly HOW much color will a synthetic wig take up with Rit dye?

Not much- it's more tinting than dyeing. I used black to go from medium red to dark red. Since RIT doesn't stick well to synthetic fiber, you're only going to get a hint of color. And mix it strong- double or triple strength.

If you want an idea of how it will look without doing the whole wig, cut off a locke of hair from somewhere it won't be missed and dye it first.

And don't try RIT with a thin wig- while the hair won't pick up the color well, the poly-cotton wig cap will, and the colored cap will show through a thin wig.

KaraokeKate
01-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Random questions: Does sharpie-coloring make the wig you color smell like permanent markers? And is it safe to use that spray-on wig conditioner stuff after you've colored one?

You should rinse the wig after you use the Sharpies. That will get rid of the smell.

And yes, it's safe to use oil or silicon based wig conditioners, although I personally just use a few drops baby oil in a bottle of water and it does just as much. ~_^

-Katie

ladysubaru25
01-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Not true. You have just as many coloring options (and in fact more!) with synthetic fiber. You just need to know what to use. ~_^

Yes- and thanks to all of you who clued me in on what to use. I never would have thought of permanent marker if I didn't first hear it from people on this site (first Pendrell, then you! ^_^)

All the info has been extremely helpful.

Yet another common myth. Heat is essential to styling sythetic wigs, you just need to know what tools to use and how much is too much. You can not curl a synthetic wig with a curling iron. Period.

I was reading your tutorial on the website about parting wigs for pigtails, and how to heat-seal the extensions. Brilliant! I always wondered how you formed a part in a wig without exposing the wig cap underneath. (I've been considering doing a Mao Onigawara costume sometime in the future, and to do so, I'd need to part a long, pink wig into two pigtails... now I know how I'd go about doing that.)

The "Sea Green" shade of wig dye is designed specifically for Neptune and Subaru cosplayers. On "Sky Blue" it produces Subaru's color, and on "Bright Green" it produces "Anime" Neptune's color. (Use on white for "Manga" Neptune.)

Hmmmm... actually I have a friend who has considered doing a Neptune costume but was hung up on the hair color. I have to clue her in to your website. (Of course, she said she'd do the Neptune costume only if I agreed to cosplay Uranus with her. LOL! Well, at least that would save me the trouble of dealing with a wig. I already sort of have the short, dirty blonde hair!)

Kaori-chan
01-10-2004, 06:23 PM
>>And yes, it's safe to use oil or silicon based wig conditioners, although I personally just use a few drops baby oil in a bottle of water and it does just as much. ~_^

Oh, okay. Thank you! (^.^)

And, when adding hair to a wig for pigtails, if a heat sealer is out of reach, would it be safe to use a blowdryer and melt the ends together? If there's no other way besides heat sealing with the actual device, I'm in trouble.

KaraokeKate
01-10-2004, 07:10 PM
And, when adding hair to a wig for pigtails, if a heat sealer is out of reach, would it be safe to use a blowdryer and melt the ends together? If there's no other way besides heat sealing with the actual device, I'm in trouble.

A blowdryer would never be able to do it. The ends need to be *smashed* together while being melted. If you don't want to buy a heat sealer, you could use an old curling iron that you don't mind throwing away on the highest setting. (It'll be a *lot* harder to do that way though.)

-Katie

Kaori-chan
01-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Okay, thanks again for all the help! It's been absolutely priceless!

The_Blue_Pixie
02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
wonders if normal hair dye will work. o.o
if any one knows why not please tell me or ill just do that.

^.^

The_Blue_Pixie
02-04-2004, 08:03 PM
lady subaru~
where is the tutorial that you read?

^.^

ladysubaru25
02-04-2004, 08:46 PM
lady subaru~
where is the tutorial that you read?

There are four different wig tutorials on Kate's site.

http://www.katiebair.com/wigs.html

This is the one I was talking about

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html

but there are others too. In the left hand column are all of the wig links. There are more basic tutorials as well.

hope this helps!

Niku-Sama
02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
~Blue pixie~ Hair dye will not work. It is meant to work with natural fibers which are porous (spelling ?) Wig fibers are not porous and will not work.

InuYashasKeeper
05-13-2004, 03:36 PM
ok can someone who knows what their doing help me with me wig. i bought a Tina Turner wig it is brown with sandy blound(sp?) high lights and i want it to be all a sandy bound color. is there anyway to do this? or have i spent $21.99 on a wig i cant tweak alittle. im trying to get the wig to look like marik's hair from yu-gi-oh. someone please help me......

Eleryth
05-22-2004, 07:37 AM
If you want the wig lighter than the main color, it's impossible. Wigs can only go darker, not lighter, because the fibers are synthetic and do not behave like real hair.
I hope the brown color isn't too far off. Will people still recognize you with that color?

Lita chan
05-25-2004, 04:57 AM
the problem with colored spray is that it flakes terribly...i wondered if i added hairspray to combat the flakiness would it help at all?

Kaori-chan
05-25-2004, 04:30 PM
I think it would probably just come off anyways. For the first version of my friend's Anthy costume we tried to spray her hair purple and then covered it in this hairspray/glitter stuff. There was a fine purple/sparkly dust all over her shoulders at the end of the night, and she only wore it for one evening.

JennMidori
05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
My boyfriend sprayed a Tina Turner wig bright orange for his Tasuki costume, and it stayed just fine without flaking. With silkier, high-quality fibres I don't think this method would work at all, but because the wig was pre-styled and didn't move around or chafe, the coarse fibers held onto the color fairly well. That isn't to say they wouldn't have flaked off if he were pulling or scratching at the wig, or sweating profusely. I say try spraying the wig, give it time to dry, and if it does flake, give it a good cleaning before wearing it. But for future reference, it's best to buy a wig that's already the color you need. ^_^

kyandi-chan
05-29-2004, 11:52 PM
...i just received my BEAUTIFULLY styled xianghua wig. the only problem is...its BLACK

and not brown. i know she's chinese and all, but...i really wish the wig was brown. even a lil brown.

is there anyway to fix it to where its brown?

megumibish
05-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Not a chance Kyandi. Sharpies are transparent and black is as dark as it gets.
Another alternative though would be to add some wefted hair or caulk wefted hair with a mix of black and brown in even intervals in the wig. I own a wig(yuna wig I have in my gallery) just like that and it really doesn't come across as black when seen up close. I think a really bright brown and dark brown mix of hair would be best. Having even intervals of hair laced between will add to the realism of the wig color and generally make it pretty.

kyandi-chan
05-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Not a chance Kyandi. Sharpies are transparent and black is as dark as it gets.
Another alternative though would be to add some wefted hair or caulk wefted hair with a mix of black and brown in even intervals in the wig. I own a wig(yuna wig I have in my gallery) just like that and it really doesn't come across as black when seen up close. I think a really bright brown and dark brown mix of hair would be best. Having even intervals of hair laced between will add to the realism of the wig color and generally make it pretty.

...add...wefts...

i need hair. quick! wanna help! haha, im going to go to that beauty supply by the house. so i could just sew some hair into the wig to give it high lights! (actually...i like how its black...and it has two red streaks...*because my cousin is too weird to talk about now* for a more modern look. i should have said IM GOING FOR ACCURACY. my fault!!!)

Utena1409
06-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Hm, I read that you can also use permanent fabric markers to hand color a wig.
Could you also use liquid, permanent fabric paint?
Like filling it in a bottle and spray it on the wig, and then comb it?
Or will it make the wig too "sticky"?

faerieskater
06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
well i only read the 1st page and the last page, so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there was an article in animerica about coloring wigs, doesnt actually have you dye them, but it teaches you a way to get the desired look from a simiar colored wig, i have the article scanned and uploaded to my site cause someone else wanted to see it, so here is the link:

http://faerieskater.com/faerieskater/wigarticle.jpg

(Please excuse the poor quality, it was a massivly huge file, so it automatically editted it when i uploaded it, and gave it that blue streaky thing :P)

aznaphrodite
06-23-2004, 01:15 PM
I haven't read much of this thread either but I just wanted to say that I've used Katie Bair's Wig Dye (http://www.katiebair.com/wigsupplies.html) before and it worked really well. I used it for a Sailor Neptune wig. click here (http://www.lavendersea.net/index.php?content=myuneptune) to see the results.

However, Katie only offers a certain number of colors so this acrylic paint method sounds interesting. I'm going to read up on and try it eventually. The marker method isn't appealing since I'm quite impatient and I think the tediousness of coloring a wig would drive me nuts.

Tomoko
06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
The easier thing to do is get a real hair wig (pref. blonde or bleached blonde) and hair dye the color you like and just apply it as you would to normal hair to your liking. It's how I do it =) But as for synthetic hair I have no idea

CapsuleCorp
07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
AAAAAAAAARRGGGHHH!!! After getting all my supplies and getting to work on my Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh) wig, I find out NOW that Katie's awesome wig dyes are all light colors - NO BLACK. I will need black dye, particularly because I need to apply it to certain areas of the wig AFTER it's already been styled. Sharpies won't do that for me, because I won't be able to rinse it after coloring. What the hell do I do now??

lemming
07-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Hmmm...I've used Katie's wig dye and it's a definate sanity-saver. She's always looking for new color requests, if you go to her forum off of her web page you can enter in a vote.

(*waves* Hi Capsule!) What about using the Sharpies and then spritzing it with a spray bottle?

CapsuleCorp
07-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Any kind of rinsing, even a spritz, will take out the styling product. I won't know until it's spiked up exactly which parts will need to be black and which will need to stay pink.

This wig is going to be the death of me, I swear. I'm pre-coloring as much with Sharpies as I can, and hoping against hope that I won't have to do too much after it's styled. The Sharpies are running out of ink fast, though. Sigh.

Vegetto's Girl
09-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Can i just use regular hair die for a wig(and it won't curl)? If i can't where would i go get wig dye(not online)?

dead pixle
09-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Purple Koolaid was used to dye this little white dog and some peoples hair that i knew...

maybe, just maybe...

Lily-chan
11-10-2004, 10:13 PM
For dying black, I use black fountain pen ink. I like it, and it works on the hair on your head too. The only thing is.... you CANNOT GET IT WET! The ink will run, stuff might happen, you could ruin a costume. But the beauty of it is that it washes out with one use. Since at Anime Expo I'm doing Haku (Black.)Then the next day I'm doing Marion Phauna (my natural haircolor/lighter.) So I have to have something uber non-permenant. That's Fountain pen ink. You can get it at stationary stores, or you're schools art class. My digitech teacher let me have a bottle, and now its going to good use. On techinque, you just brush it on like paint, and do careful brushing. It does work better on real hair though.

Kaori-chan
11-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I never would have thought of that. It seems odd that it washes out right away, though, but it sounds way better than fake-looking hair sprays.

ayareinami*YAY*
11-24-2004, 08:52 PM
yo wats up yall? im having trouble getting the right color for my haruko from flcl wig. most people do like a hot pinkk but i think it should be a light peach color, so i was thinking about getting a white wig and dying it w/ like an orange dye and washing it alot but im not sure if permanent hair dye works on nylon wigs...

silentshadow31
11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Here's the bottom line: anything designed for human hair will absolutely not work on a wig, because wigs are made of artificial materials (usually extruded plastic) and that's a whole different kettle of fish from the organic materials that make up human hair. Even a nylon wig will be a totally different situation from human hair; artificial fibers don't take dye well at all. Would you use shampoo to do your dishes, or axle grease to slick your hair back? It's the same idea. Just because wigs look like hair doesn't mean they act a thing like it.

If I were you, I would either buy wig dye (they have it at Katie Bair here: http://www.katiebair.com/wigsupplies.html ) or try coloring it with permanent markers...or, wisest of all, just search hard and find the right color in the first place. They have a nice selection of colors here: http://www.amphigory.com/wigs.html

Good luck!

Berenice
10-22-2008, 06:52 AM
I heard that the sharpie technique will allow smudging/blotting or colors

But, will Katie Bair's wig dye have a chance of smudging too?
Or will it be uber clean, even under humid/lot temp?

Schuldig_
10-22-2008, 07:24 AM
I heard that the sharpie technique will allow smudging/blotting or colors

But, will Katie Bair's wig dye have a chance of smudging too?
Or will it be uber clean, even under humid/lot temp?

The only time I've ever had problem with Katie Bair's dye smudging was once when I didn't have the time/patience to dry the wig properly as I should have, otherwise I've worn dyed wigs with white outfits without a problem (sorry for the horrible alliteration!) :)

Berenice
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
But... If we dryed the dyed wig (dyed by katie's dye) properly

Is there still a chance of it smudging?
Or is it 100% clean even in times of humid temperature, rainfall and sweat?

Kukkii-san
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
You'll have to rinse it until the water runs clear. When the water that drips off the wig is clear (wait a few minutes, then test it on a tissue) the wig is clean and won't ruin your costume.

With dark colors, however, and wig fibers not suitable for dyeing, the point where the water runs clear may never come - so better be safe than sorry.

takutosuki
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone, I've read most of the pages of this thread but I have a question!
Has anyone tried to make a wig LIGHTER?

This is the PERFECT color for Franziska Von Karma (Phoenix Wright series) but it's a little bit too dark...http://cgi.ebay.com/Anime-Cosplay-Wig-Long-Grey-Blue-Hair-Wigs-6154-/140437000447?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions

Is there any way to make it lighter, by, like, adding white? How would you do it?
Thanks for any suggestions!!