PDA

View Full Version : Marker Coloring

SynVanSiWes
06-23-2003, 10:11 PM
So I decided to test one of the methods of wig coloring that I heard about on a thread or two. I tried coloring by means of markers.

I started with a light purple wig. The lighting in the picture is a little off. I colored the wig with prismacolor markers to be a darker purple, which is graded from dark violet to a more pink violet at the ends. I streaked it with a blue purple in the top as well.

It works well, that is to say that the marker takes to the wig easily. However it is TEDIOUS. All the layers of the hair must be done and there's a lot of them. I slacked off and didn't do them all because this wig isn't actually for any costume. I just thought that if I wanted to wear it for fun, it would look better on me in a darker color. The color came off a little on my hands as I was working but I believe that is because it was not yet dry.

Anyway this is pretty much just a public service announcement so that interested parties can satisfy thier curiosity without having to buy and color thier own.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=50974&papass=&sort=2&thecat=500

By the way, the prismacolors I used were:

Top: Violet, Dark Purple, Parma Violet
Middle: Dahlia Purple
Bottom: Mulberry

Pendrell
06-23-2003, 11:03 PM
WHOA. @_@ That's quite impressive. Just how *wide* are these PrismaColor marker tips? ^^; I'm trying to imagine going over an entire wig with them... ouch... but your picture is very convincing.

DarkGunner
06-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Holy molay! How long did that take you? That's cosplay dedication.

SynVanSiWes
06-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Hmm, I should have timed it. Maybe two hours. Maybe more. If I was going to do all the underlayers it would probably have taken me quite a bit longer.

I measured, the wide tip on a prisma is a little less than 3/8.

Moogle Hiromi
06-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Wow! That is truly awesome! I wonder though.. if the quality of the marker has something to do with how well it stays.... I used a permanent black marker on a white wig and it come off everywhere. I ended up cutting my hair for the costume! [Considering it was about butt-length to chin length.. sometimes I can't believe I did it!]

But anyway... that is impressive, and I will never try to turn a white wig black again! [I managed to get ALL the colour out]

EvilMoogleQueen
06-24-2003, 09:10 PM
does the color come off when you touch the wig?

Vialoi Ketsueke
06-25-2003, 09:32 AM
You know, You could have bought the fluid from inside of a Tria Marker; and dipped the wig in that. It probably would have worked the same. Tria Markers, are fancier markers than Prisma color, they work a hell of a lot better too. (Trust me, I know. x.x)
Perhaps if you got a couple viles of the tria marker ..fluid...chemical, whatever; and added a little water, that might work nicely. I'm tempted to try now.

btw, that wig does look very nice!

KaraokeKate
06-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Prismas do run. They have a habit of doing that, even on paper. If you want to do the marker coloring method (which is primarily what I use for my custom coloring) then try Sharpies. ^_^

http://www.katiebair.com/wigscolor.html

Yes, it is *very* time consuming, but if done right, you can get colors you can't normally acheive otherwise. ~_^

Moogle Hiromi
06-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Ohhhh.. so is that how you do it? [you must be bloody patient]

I don't know what sort of markers I can buy here. So confusing... I did a few streaks on my wig.. only done a bit.... i reckon it will turn out well. I didn't use a cheapie marker either. XD

Pendrell
06-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Urgh. I tried out two different Sharpie colors on my wig.. neither looked right. NOW I'm headed toward the acrylic paint dunk-n-comb method. Again. x_x; Can't do it tomorrow.. or.. anytime before July 1st. And after the 6th I'll be marooned in the sticks for five weeks. T_T Guess I'll just be doing it in my dorm room two weeks before AWA. *frets*

KaraokeKate
06-26-2003, 01:38 AM
The color I used for the Subaru wig I did was "Turquoise". It looks a lot different in person than in the picture. It also depends what color of wig you start with.

SynVanSiWes
06-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Hmm, you used sharpie huh. I'll have to try that. I've got a full set of sharpie colors. As far as I can tell with the prisma it comes off a little on my sweaty little hands, but I have to directly hold it or rub it hard. I definitely would avoid going for black or very dark colors with this method.

Hmm sharpie has a silver out now, it's got to be a radically different chemical composition but I'm still curious.

Starherd
06-26-2003, 05:41 PM
In making a wig for Hieh of Yu Yu Hakusho, I purchased a black and white "vampire" wig (Pony Express brand, comes pre-styled into that nice vertical spikey doo) and colored most of the white black with a permanent marker. I used a Magnum 44, which was the widest marker I could lay hands on (tip is about an inch wide). The color has yet to bleed, and the wig style remains.

However... should you use permanent markers... for goodness' sakes, do it with LOTS OF VENTILATION. I had to leave this wig outside for about four or five days before I dared bring it in... *cough cough*

But it worked. :-)

Moogle Hiromi
06-27-2003, 12:29 AM
*remember choking on the fumes of cheap marker* Yep.

newmyu
06-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Karaoke Kate:

*smacks forehead* I didn't put it together until just now, I've been looking on your site I don't know how many times at that Usagi wig. -.-;

I feel like an idiot now.

Pendrell
06-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Katie, I finally saw the custom-color job on the Subaru wig. .. WOW. *_* That's beautiful. And it's spot-on. *cheers* I can understand it taking so long to get a color like that. ^^;

archangeli
06-29-2003, 02:08 AM
I've been using Prismacolor markers for a wig I'm coloring.

I always thought Sharpies were those permanent markers for labelling CD's. I've only seen them in basic black, blue, green and red. Are the more colors?

minako chan
06-29-2003, 09:39 AM
I have a dark pink and light blue one. I also have other colors, but I forgot what they were...>.<'' I'm using sharpies to color my ropponmatsu wig and they work great!

KaraokeKate
06-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Here's the colors Sharpies come in:

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Brown
Purple
Black
Orange
Turquoise
Aqua
Berry
Lime
Fluorescent Yellow
Silver

They're transparent on plastic (except for black) so try to mix and match them to create the color you're looking for. ^_^

rainbowflavored
06-29-2003, 01:20 PM
if you go to an office supply store, or most of the time even regular stores like walmart or target, they'll usually have a big pack of sharpies with every color. soooo pretty....

Psychotic Jei
06-29-2003, 04:27 PM
We're talking like the overhead type markers..right? :: needs to get a dark browning wig an almost black color...so :: I should pick some up tonight at work. If its the overhead kind...I might just borrow one from work. ^^.

Gren
06-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Vis a Vis (overhead markers) are water soluble. that means that sweating, using hair spray, touching your wig, most anything will cause the colors to rub off. Sharbie markers are permanent ink markers, like Marks-A-Lot. Apparently, the won't go anywhere.

My bet on the silver sharpie is that it's an enamel marker, which will stiffen your wig like mad, and could snap or break off. Try it on a small section of hair that can be cut off before you tackle any main area of the wig.

Gren
06-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Well... not a fan of double posting... but I remembered I had an enamel based silver marker by Testors, so I tried it out. The hair took the color just fine, but afterwards was difficult to brush, felt coarser, and the strands broke easily, leavign a frayed appearance. So, unless you have a wig with a "locked in" style (as in so covered in gunk that it could keep it's style in a hurricane) I don't recommend this.

Now watch the new sharpie not be enamel based and this whole thing turn out to be in vain. -_-

KaraokeKate
06-30-2003, 01:55 AM
Silver Sharpies aren't enamel based, they're still alcohol based like normal Shapies, but they contain microfine silver filament.

carly579
06-30-2003, 02:35 AM
wow that's amazing I can't believe it. I also can't believe that you only charge $35-$80 if that's how you do it! I think you'd have to pay me into the $100s to color a wig like that. :D

KaraokeKate
06-30-2003, 05:27 AM
I think it's a fair price considering that they've already had to buy the starting wig from someplace else. ^_^

Moogle Hiromi
06-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Ohhh I hope you can buy these in Australia! I don't trust the marker I am using at the moment. Although I will if I can get it out of the clothes I was wearing whole colouring! XD

Mao

Gren
07-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Heh. Yeah, figures. Ah well, that's good to know. I think a silver marker would really help add some more depth t those plain white wigs. They have a tedancy to look so flat.

Moogle Hiromi
07-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Ohh do sharpies markers have a website?
I am glad to know, that I emailed paperclay.com and they directed me to where I could buy it! *phew*

megumibish
07-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Well I tried the prismacolor marker on a wig and yes it does bleed. I was actually able to remove all the color with a vigorous rubbing. I tested the sharpie and so far soo good. Thought I add this on to the thread.

carly579
07-13-2003, 01:24 AM
I reccomend it! I have a strawberry blond wig, and I wanted it orange. It was kinda brown, so I bought an orange sharpie and colored it. It looks great! I love the color, it's very orange, but still kinda natural. I also like that you can leave some highlights in.

KaraokeKate
07-13-2003, 04:04 PM
I tol' yew i' wud wook!! >,< (Typing with a comb in my mouth...)

Pendrell
07-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Just for the record, I tried several different varieties of markers on my wig... they ALL rub off except for the Sharpie. And the Sharpie is the one color that doesn't look right. I've mixed several others and they look great.. but they're guaranteed to rub off on contact.

Edit: Except for the permanent fabric markers! They're great! They just don't mix well. ^^; But they don't come off, either.

KaraokeKate
07-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Just an update, here's a wig streaked with Silver Sharpie:

http://www.katiebair.com/maximillion_pegasus_wig.jpg

Gren
07-15-2003, 10:12 PM
That silvered wig looks great. I'll probably play around with that a bit when I do Riku.

Also, for those who really don't want to cope with the process of dragging the marker over every inch of the wig, I figured a alternative (actually used this because I needed a gradient on spandex)
Use pliars to crack a permanent marker open (pleaaase do this over a surface like a pile of newspaper or a cardboard box. If anything falls out, you will be sad.) and take out the plastic-wrapped tube inside. Split open this tube, reveiling a felt-like insive. Poke and prod and shed the felt cylinder, until you have a pile of stuffing-like mess. Drop this into a container (that you hate) and add rubbing alcohol (Available at any drugstore). Put a lid on it (for it will smell vile) and swish this concotion around a bit. Let it sit a while, swishing it from time to time, as the alcohol turns the color of your marker. What you're doing is diluting the ink out of the marker core and into the alcohol. When you're satisfied with the color of your concoction, scoop out all the felt bits, and then use a funnel to pour the liquid into a small spray bottle (can be bought for less than a dollar at any beauty supply store) You can now use this to spritz the wig. Do it over a newspaper covered surface, in a well-ventilated room. Annnd... well.. that's it!
Since the pigment is diluted, you may need to go over the wig a few times, and make sure you get all the layers done. You could probably use this technique to blend different sharpie colkors, like if you needed a dark red, and could probably do a gradient on the hair as well. I tested this with a small section of hair that I like to keep around for expiraments, ant it is currently pretty darn black. The hair hasn't been effected as far as texture goes, and the color doesn't wash out.

Hope this helps you guys save some time! ^_^

Lilybit
07-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Gren, that techinique sounds really good, I should try that o.o
Does anyone have any suggestions on dying a wig pink? Like a bubblegum color? I don't know if using red permanant would work or not oO
I plan on buying a Godiva wig later this year, but I need to dye it pink somehow..and I can't find any wig THAT long that is already pink (plus, godiva wigs are cheap :3 )...any suggestions?? It sounds like most ideas will just rub off, I need something permanant (if possible that is)

Gren
07-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Beware of godiva wigs! They tend to be cheap for a reason. If you do go ahead and buy it, try to mess with it as little as is humanly possible. Once those looong stands get knots in them, it is hell to get them back out. I've got a theory that making a whole ton of itty bitty bitty braids out of a godiva wig would keep it from tangling, without making it look too strange, but, as I have no reason to buy a godiva wig, I haven't had a chance to test this theory.

Lilybit
07-15-2003, 11:40 PM
ooh, yeah, I know what you mean. Well, my friend has a couple of really long wigs, and they get tangled pretty easily, and brushing them sometimes pulls the hair out, so I kinda know what to expect. About half of it will be styled up in a way where I won't have to mess with it too much afterwards, but even if it is a hassle, it won't bother me too much.
Maybe I'll just try color spray, I use it on my own hair, it's just like reg. hairspray, but it's not permanant so it flakes off after a while =\

Gren
07-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, what exactly is the wig you're making? Your avatar kind of looks like that Cere Cere (or whatever it is) gal from Sailor moon. Is that the wig you're wanting?

Lilybit
07-15-2003, 11:55 PM
hehe, you're close, that avatar is from a hentai parody of Sailormoon called Lingerie Soldlier Papillon Rose, it's a pic of Papillon Rose, or Tsubomi/Chi-Chi.
She has really long hair, and I want to get the right length, her hair is styled similar to a butterfly, there's a bun in the back and two loops coming out, and of course two long trails like Usagi. I have better pictures of you want to see (I also put up a fanart in my gallery~)

Gren
07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Well, the style's close enough that my advice could at least be of a little help. Check out the cosplay page at http://www.lindze.com/ on the second page, she does a great Cere Ceres (I was close!) wig, and has some vauge instructions on how it was made. Maybe it can help you figure a meathod that doesn't use my most hated of enemies, the godiva wig. And you wouldn't have to dye to boot!

Buuut in case you still want to use the godiva of doom, sharpie has released a pink-ish marker with their new sets. It's a bit too dark for bubblegum, but maybe if you diluted it. Other than that, you could just use artist markers, and deal with a little rubbing off. I don't think they do it in a major manner.

Lilybit
07-16-2003, 12:17 AM
hehe, thanks, it looks really good, though I don't know if I should be attemtping to put two wigs together. Anyway, I'm definately looking into both ideas. I'm not exactly looking for the best wig out there, I just need something cheap and "good enough" =]
I know a couple of other people who have bought a godiva wig, and it doesn't seem as bad as you're making it out to be, but I'm glad to hear both sides at least. I'm still saving up for this idea~

KaraokeKate
07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
The "spray sharpie" method does have one drawback. (I had tried something similar a couple months ago, to see if I could speed the process up some...) As Gren mentioned, it is "diluted", and will take several coats, but that's not really what's happening.

It's not diluted, it's being "bleached" by the alcohol. Although Sharpies contain alchohol based ink it's *not* isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol). Rubbing alcohol is what I use to *remove* Sharpie ink from surfaces. So when you spray, only half the potential pigment is actually sticking to the fiber. The rest is just dripping away.

However, it will work as a vehicle for the pigment, even though it's also the best means of removing the pigment. So be careful if doing multiple coats, as your second coat has a chance of removing the first.

So for light colors, try the spray method, for bold colors, go for direct application. I can do gradients with direct application, so I know it's possible, but I guess it just comes with practice. ~_^

Sala
07-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know if they make sharpies in a pale-ish/aqua blue color? I tried their website, but my computer is too slow to deal with all the Flash that they have...

Sarcasm-hime
07-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Kate, do you know what kind of alcohol is used in the markers themselves? Wondering if it would be possible to buy that particular alcohol and use it for spraying rather than regular isopropyl...

SynVanSiWes
07-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Oh, Lilybit, something you should know about bubblegum pink. The color you're looking for you should be able to get out of a diluted cool red. That is to say, a red with some blue added to it. Be carefull not to use a red with orange in it, that's a warm red, and it'll never make a bubblegum pink. My apologies if you've already got this knowledge of color theory.

Oh and follow up notes on my prisma colored wig. I wore it, and I found that if I rested my hand on my head the color would come off on my hand some, but it didn't come off on my face or kneck.

Oh and prismas also leave the wig a bit tacky to the touch, the hairs end up having more friction and sticking together more than usual. I could see this potentially giving issues when styling it.

KaraokeKate
07-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Sarcasm-hime
Kate, do you know what kind of alcohol is used in the markers themselves? Wondering if it would be possible to buy that particular alcohol and use it for spraying rather than regular isopropyl...

Unfortunately, Sanford doesn't list the actual ingredients since, most likely, it is a patented formula.

However, I'd be willing to guess that it is a grain or fruit alcohol (opposed to a wood alcohol), due to the fact that the formula is listed as non toxic. So it might not be a crazy idea to try adding something you might normally use in a cocktail. (Not for those under-21 cosplayers...) However, If it's too strong, it may strip the pigment, if it's too weak, the pigment will congeal in the water.

I'd experiment with this myself, but I don't drink, and would feel kind of silly buying a bunch of booze just so I could see what does and does not blend with Sharpie ink. Then there's the fact that the wig would smell like a bar... 0_0'

I dunno, I'll keep trying things out here. I've got the blending down pretty well so I can even produce (Duh duh DUN!!!) POWDER BLUE so I know there's still more to learn. ^_^

Space Invader
07-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Try Copic markers. They're $5 apiece (good god!), but OH, are they nice ^_^. The ink actually is a waterproof dye, so you can use it on pretty much anything with no "will my color run?" worries. They also come in some crazy number of colors (300+, methinks), with different size nibs. The wide markers only have 36 colors, though. Great thing is, you can buy this little airbrush system thing for the markers... you stick the marker in this little holster thing and it blows air on the tip of the marker, turning it into an airbrush. Nifty ^_^. To me, that would be great for coloring a wig in a short amount of time, and you could also get a pretty gradient thing going on with it, too.

Sala
07-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Those copic markers sound nice. What stores carry them?

Oh, and for people who are thinking of trying the 'permanent marker in alcohol' treatment for their wigs....I would suggest trying something else. I tried both isopropyl alcohol and 2 types of drinking alcohol and the color came out almost completely on all test runs (I was trying to dye a blonde wig pale blue).
I guess literally coloring the wig with markers is the best bet so far...

Aspen
07-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Mostly true Art stores carry copic markers. Usually a place like Aaron Bros. only carry Prismacolors, which are all ready expensive enough! A great place to get Copics is off the internet. Check on eBay and such for sets, are just go to thier official website!

http://www.copicmarker.com/

I've also seen them at cons.....
Check around, but they get very very expensive, so buying a couple markers and a airbrush set over $40 just to color a wig is a bit much, unless you have plans to use them exstensively, such as art.
Sharpies do sound more reliable and you can get like 10 for 8 bucks! o_O

KaraokeKate
07-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Yeah, Copics are pretty dang expensive, I use them for commissions at cons.

However, although they do stick to wig fiber like Sharpies, the ending texture isn't nearly is good, and the pens run out of ink *very* quickly when being kept open for long periods of time. (The type of alcohol they contain is designed to evaporate very quickly so they don't bleed too much on paper.) One pen won't even last for half a short wig, and at $5 a piece, that gets very expensive, very fast. (Yet another reason I use Sharpies...)

IkariYui
07-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Hi everyone^_^

I've been browsing through this forum looking at some of your ideas for coloring wigs, and there are some great ideas here. For the past week, I've been sitting on the idea of playing with the color of my Luna wig, and I'd like to test it with either the Copic or Sharpie method. The wig I have now is called light blue by retailers. It has a slight aqua tone to it. I would like it to look softer, more of a powder blue, like in my avatar.

Which shades do you think I should use if I was to attempt this? I found a ton of different shades at Copic.com, but I'm worried about the whole "wig + marker color = new color" factor. Also, is there a Sharpie shade that will get me close enough to this? Poor college student here=P

Sorry for rambling, and thanks in advance! ^_^

Luna Pic:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=59166&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

HowilnMadMurphy
07-26-2003, 02:37 PM
I have a specific question for Katie Bair. On your wigcolors page, I take it the lavendar-y white in the bottom right corner of your "before" colors is the color Lily from Amphigory Wigs, right? I also presume that the silvery one (also bottom right) in the "created" colors is the same wig. How did you achieve that effect? Was it just a silver sharpie?

Also, maybe acetone might work, for the sharpie-spray-dealie. I don't know if that would do anything to the wig fibers, though. Just a suggestion. I'd try it but the only wig I have laying around is human hair -_-.

megumibish
07-26-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm not katiebair but this wig , http://www.katiebair.com/maximillion_pegasus_wig.jpg was highlighted with a silver sharpie. and do not for the love of your wig use acetone...acetone melts plastic (which almost all wigs are made of) into a pile goo. put a foam cup into pro nailpolish remover and it does the same thing. fun things i learned in school.

Megumi-san
07-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Alright, now I feel really bad for asking this, since people like Katie Blair make a living off of this. But I am short on cash, since I, being 14, cannot get jobs aside from babysitting and the $8 a week I get from my parents for mowing the lawn. Not to mention a few weeks ago I asked specifically were to find the perfect wig.
But I shall ask anyway, can a Subaru-hair colored wig be achieved from a light blue wig and a turquoise Sharpie? I plan on buying a wig from Katie Blair for ACEN, but for Halloween was going to attempt to concoct my own.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

megumibish
07-27-2003, 10:20 AM
if you want to make those supposed skyblue ones more turquiose. then yes the marker will work. do you have a pic cuz i'm not really sure what chara you are talking about.

HowilnMadMurphy
07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
http://blackwings.net/hack/wallpaper.asp
I'm guessing that that is the Subaru she speaks of...

P.S. I dunno anything about .hack but what a cute costume!

Megumi-san
07-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Yes, HowilnMadMurphy, that's the Subaru I meant. ^_^ It didn't occur to me there'd be more than one. :thumbsup: But that's not the best pic of her. Her hair looks too blue there. Here's a better piccie.

Pendrell
07-27-2003, 06:04 PM
This is just my opinion on the Sharpies vs. the Subaru wig.. since I'm coloring my own, too.. e.e; the turquoise Sharpie on my white wig looked FAR too dark and vivid for Subaru's hair... if you're going by the normal color in the TV series, it's more of a subdued greyish-teal.. thing. @_@ I've been buying Prismacolors randomly and trying them out on the wig. It looks freakish at the ends thanks to my incessant color-testing. XD Anyhoo, I'ma go buy the absolute lightest Prismacolor greenish-grey that I can...
I should've gotten a wig with a bluish tint, that would have made it so much easier. T_T

megumibish
07-27-2003, 06:56 PM
okay seeing the pic the wig will come out actually darker than that with the turquoise marker. on katiebair's site you can actually see the results from sharpies... she can do a lighter color possibly but it's really tedious and hard to not oversaturate the strands without giving the hair a streaky look.
an primas rub off. i'm not kidding. i was able to get all the black offa the strands down to the original color of the wig. if you need a blueish gray i suggest copic but your gonna die when the price hits you. you may need to buy 4 or five and that's 20 by itself. but if you got the dough go for it. ciao

ThatYaoiBoy
08-01-2003, 07:27 PM
I have a pale pink wig that I need to turn into a more 'hot pink' color (for Shuichi). I was wondering if a pink sharpie highlighter would do the trick? It is Sharpie brand after all...

Pendrell
08-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Aw yeah. XD
I'd use my pink Sharpie. It might not exactly be BRIGHT pink.. but it'll be a dark bright, at any rate. That's what I'll do if and when I get to my Shuichi costume.. e.e; Or you can try SynVan's Prismacolor method, it worked quite well on her pale purple wig...

ThatYaoiBoy
08-01-2003, 11:52 PM
But it bleeds, doesn't it? I've seen more compliments for Sharpies than Prisma

Pendrell
08-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Yes. It bleeds a little... as long as you don't try to rub it off, though, it should be okay. o.o

Pendrell
08-11-2003, 12:29 PM
*casts Revive on thread*

As an aside, has anyone here ever tried out calligraphers' ink on a wig? ^^;; It seems rather thick and chunky for painting on.. x.x I've put a bit on, it takes a while to dry and it's rather.. argumentative. >.> But I've got two bottles of it and it's the color I need, so... I suppose you'll hear back from me after I try it out a bit more on the ends of the wig.

ElleHazard
08-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Decided to finally look into some of the wig dying threads...
I must say I'm surprised to find out that sharpies are the method of Katie Bair.
Here I was thinking she had some secret lab in her basement. :D

Anyway, I'm really glad I read this, I was having a dilemma finding a certain color of wig that seemed to only come in two price ranges: "moderately expensive", and "considerably expensive". All for a character with a short nothing hair style too X_x.
Methinks I'll try one of the methods mentioned here and see how it works. (suddenly I'm very happy)

SynVanSiWes
08-12-2003, 11:52 AM
WARNING ON SHARPIES

I just got back from Otakon, and the two wigs which I did sharpie coloring on were not colorfast. They were seriously not colorfast. The cowl of my sheik costume and the collar of the crayfish link shirt are now permanently discolored, that is to say they are ruined. I am going to have to remake parts of those pieces of clothing to remedy the damage. Neither soap nor alcohol will remove the color. I am not going to use bleach, it damages fabric too much for my liking.

I don't really mind because the con is over, but it's still a pain in the butt. This is a warning to those of you who have used the method and have wigs overlapping thier costumes. I figure other people might as well benefit from my mistakes.

KaraokeKate
08-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by SynVanSiWes
WARNING ON SHARPIES

I just got back from Otakon, and the two wigs which I did sharpie coloring on were not colorfast. They were seriously not colorfast.

*You need to RINSE the wig in COLD WATER after you finish coloring it.* -_-'

KaraokeKate
08-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering questions, I just got back from Otakon.

Subaru's color was achieved by using a "Turquoise" Sharpie on a "Daydream" wig in the Femme Fatale length from Amphigory. The entire wig was coated, then rinsed, then an "undercoat" was applied, and then rinsed again.

The "Lily" color from Amphigory can be either a cottony snow white, or a slightly silvery white, depending on the length of the wig. The "Silver White" I make is the product of a silver Sharpie on a "Snow White" wig.

Pendrell
08-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Kate- do you apply the entire coating by hand? Or do you spray/paint?

KaraokeKate
08-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Kate- do you apply the entire coating by hand? Or do you spray/paint?

Subaru was hand-coated. Sorry, it's time consuming, but that's how I do it. -_-'

Vialoi Ketsueke
08-15-2003, 09:38 PM
I used a "cool gray" prisma colored marker to color my muraki wig for Otakon. It came out great. I'm glad I tried the marker technique.

Pendrell
08-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Subaru was hand-coated. Sorry, it's time consuming, but that's how I do it. -_-'

Well... it's worth it? ^^; *l*
It actually sounds kind of fun to me. Maybe I'm strange. ;) Maybe I won't think so if I try it. Anyway, props to you for putting that much time into the process. o_o

ElleHazard
08-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Hey Kate, not to drain you of all your treasured secrets... but I'm wondering just what colors you used to get that frustratingly gray-purple Yuki Sohma color.

KaraokeKate
08-16-2003, 02:53 PM
I started with a grey wig, and *very lightly* streaked in purple, wiping the color with a wet rag (soaked with diluted alchohol) immediately after applying. This process took about six hours straight to cover the whole wig.

SynVanSiWes
08-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Well that explains it. :P Oh well. I did notice however that hairspray seems to be alcohol based as well. Or so I assume from the smell. And it did seem to work as a solvent when I was styling things. I wonder if rinsing and drying first will abate this affect.

Midknight
08-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Some one mentioned an airbrush system for the Copic markers earlier in this thread. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a Sharpie in such a system (if it fit). So you'd get the duribility of the Sharpie, but the wide coverage of the airbrush. If it worked, you could do light applications for pale colors or heavy applications for bolder colors. Don't they sell little foot-pump powered marker airbrushes for kids? As an accesory to "Blow Pens" or something. Might be cheaper than a Copic airbrush if the technique worked. Anyway, just an idea I had... Let me know if someone has tried this and if it worked or not..

ElleHazard
08-22-2003, 03:25 AM
Just found these:
http://www.texasart.com/store/view.cfm?store=001&group_id=1320

Oil based... but it says they work on plastics. Anyone have input?
supposedly the light ones are opaque on dark surfaces and vice-versa. I think it sounds spiffy (and they're from the same company that brought us Sharpies).

HowlinMadMurphy
08-25-2003, 03:08 AM
Just found these:
http://www.texasart.com/store/view.cfm?store=001&group_id=1320

Oil based... but it says they work on plastics. Anyone have input?
supposedly the light ones are opaque on dark surfaces and vice-versa. I think it sounds spiffy (and they're from the same company that brought us Sharpies).

Those'd work the same as acrylics probably. They wouldn't be flexible, and since they're oil based, would probably take forever to dry and make your wig into a clumpy gooey mess. And if you got it on anything, like your costume, well... you're basically screwed :D

KaraokeKate
08-26-2003, 12:48 PM
For a wig of Subaru's length, if you REALLY want to use Copics, I'd suggest "BG49-Duck Blue". The fiber quality will be severly affected (it'll feel sticky to the touch...) and you're going to need to practice not overlapping the coats. Unlike a Sharpie, a Copic will not go down full strength on the first pass, even with a firm touch, so if you want to stay light, you'll need to move fast.

Also, you're going to need 12-20 pen's worth for Subaru's length, I kid you not. The alcohol in the ink dries *very* quickly, and even with refills, your pen is going to dry out every 15 minutes after you start having to refill.

So yeah, this is going to be very expensive. Too bad I'm booked, or I'd offer to do it for you for a LOT cheaper. -_-'

erikadoor
09-01-2003, 01:16 PM
And here I was wondering if you'd used some sort of illustration ink or watercolour.
*laughs* Sharpies....and I remember being bored many years ago in school and taking one to my hair. Having blue-tipped curls was amusing until I was told to cut it off.

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com

KaraokeKate
09-01-2003, 01:40 PM
and I remember being bored many years ago in school and taking one to my hair. Having blue-tipped curls was amusing until I was told to cut it off.

Lol! I just did that with my roots last week. I used a different brand of dye than I normally do, and it didn't take to my bleached roots, so I used a Berry colored Sharpie to fill in the light parts.

It washed right out on the first try though, so that's kind of a pity that they just made you cut yours off. o_0'

Beware_UY7
09-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Ha. Colouring hair with markers... I did that when I was blonde, and I colour my friends' hair a lot. Running around for a day with a rainbow head rocks.

Hm, if it would take 12-20 copics for a medium length wig... how many Sharpies would it take for a wig? Less, right? I'm just curious as to how many. (Kate, you probably go through Sharpies at an insane rate)

KaraokeKate
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Hm, if it would take 12-20 copics for a medium length wig... how many Sharpies would it take for a wig? Less, right? I'm just curious as to how many. (Kate, you probably go through Sharpies at an insane rate)

I use an average of 3 broad-tip Sharpies for a shoulder length wig for FULL coverage. (Like for a really bold color change.) When doing lighter colors, or blending, then it's maybe 1 or 2.

Yeah, I've got a big ol' honkin' jar of Sharpies. I should buy stock in the company! ^_^

Tiirz
09-03-2003, 12:04 AM
If anyone know, how does witchwigs.com compares to www.amphigory.com? I need a silver white long wig with no bangs, so I'm waffling between amphigory's Enchantment in Lily, or the witchwigs's Cher in silver/white. I'm planning on trying the silver Sharpie highlight treatment. Which one would be a better wig to use for it? I'm pretty clueless about wigs, but it looks like I need to learn...

megumibish
09-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I can say this much...I've heard cher wigs tend to tangle like nuts and lose hair a lot. I'd go with amphiory myself. Either wig will tolerate the coloring so there really is no better one...just wig quality to begin with is the issue...if you wan the cher one I suggest getting some wig spray in conditioner/detangler and a big tooth comb.

Tiirz
09-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Since the cher wig is more expensive, if the amphigory one is as good, or as it sounds, better, I'd prefer to get theirs! :)

HowlinMadMurphy
09-03-2003, 02:26 AM
IF you get it on a group purchase for witchwigs it'll be cheaper. I have a Cher in silver white and I'm rather fond of it-- I also haven't had any problems with tangles and have probably only brushed out 5-10 strands of hair (I don't think that's excessive.. is it? :P) The silver white is quite silver to begin with, so you may not even need to highlight it.
Also, I can't find this silver sharpie. I went to an art store and a craft store (that had a big sharpie display even) and nada. I'm going to try an office supply soonish, though.

Rosiel
09-03-2003, 09:04 AM
> I've heard cher wigs tend to tangle like nuts and lose hair a lot.

So do Amphigory wigs actually. ^_^

At that length, they will tangle, and will lose hair. I brush out huge clumps out of my Amphigory wigs each time I wear them, and I can generally wear them 3 times before the wig cap starts showing through. I like the slight wave they have, and the fact that they have very little volume (which sadly means less hair), which is why I stay with them.

I got a Cher wig for another costume, so I will be able to give a comparison later, when I work with it a bit more. I'm planning to dye it, too, so I will be able to say if it takes to dyeing better than Amphigory wigs.

megumibish
09-03-2003, 08:07 PM
brush out clumps...dang... thanks for the head up rosiel. i did own a godiva wig at one time..a long 3 ft one. but brushing it was sheer pain. i was lucky that i was able to return it. it would take forever to detangle...and then tangle up again in mere minutes.. all my others wigs do not behave that way luckily. i have found that brushing them with wire wig brushes does make a difference. it just seems to flow through the hair easier.

Alexia Ikyu
09-09-2003, 05:46 AM
All manufactuers that make anything with chemicals must list a MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet)... which fortuneately list ingredients. :bigtu:

Sharpie: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~jsmith/MSDS/SHARPIE%20FINE%20POINT.htm

Ingredient: PROPYL ALCOHOL; (N-PROPANOL)
Ingredient: BUTYL ALCOHOL; (N-BUTANOL) (SARA 313) (CERCLA)
Ingredient: 2-PENTANONE, 4-HYDROXY-4-METHYL-; (4-HYDROXY-4-METHYL-2-PENTANONE); (DIACETONE ALCOHOL)

Hanyaan
09-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Speaking of marker coloring, I accidentally discovered that applying purple sharpie to a yellowish blonde wig creates that true Xelloss purple color...you know, that color that's a grayish dark purple that NOBODY ever gets right on their wigs (which are always deep true purple, not Xelloss purple)...

Alexia Ikyu
09-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Just an update, all the MSDS sheets.
http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/whatsinside/msds.jhtml

Alexia Ikyu
09-10-2003, 02:21 AM
It's not diluted, it's being "bleached" by the alcohol. Although Sharpies contain alchohol based ink it's *not* isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol). Rubbing alcohol is what I use to *remove* Sharpie ink from surfaces. So when you spray, only half the potential pigment is actually sticking to the fiber. The rest is just dripping away.

Iso Propyl Alcohol is N-Propanol, one of the main ingredients in a Sharpie. So technically you are diluting it, but the problem is that you are just adding the N-Propanol. This is not just diluting the dye, it is also diluting the N-Butanol and Diacetone Alcohol. Because Iso Propyl/N-Propanol/Rubbing Alcohol is more of a solvent, that is why more drips away and you have to do more coats.

Sorry if I am babbling, I've study too much Chemistry, but I am pretty damn sure I am correct.

ChibiRinoa
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
after reading this thread for a while, ive finally decided to color in my Neptune wig using an aqua sharpie. Im about 1/8 of the way done, and man its tedious work..and its hard keeping the markers off my hands, bleh good thing i found gloves. The color is really really nice though!! Thanks guys!

megumibish
09-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Heh I'm doing a wig too. I'm only halfway with it thou' being the fumes get to me easily even with a fan... I just wished I could find shapies in broad instead of only chisel tipped. I should just be happy I've got those thou'

disport
09-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I've been watching this topic for awhile and waiting for my question to come up, but it hasn't, so... ^^;;

Can you lighten synthetic wigs at all? I have a really dark pink one that I'm trying to make a powder pink type of colour. Is it possible? o_O

Hanyaan
09-17-2003, 05:29 PM
I might not be an expert on this, but I've read all the thread and the tutorials that various people (aka Katie Bair, wig goddess) offer, and you can't make a wig lighter. At least, not according to the people who helped me figure out how to do my marker wig coloring. And I trust them.

Ikkai Toriga
10-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for this method of wig coloring! :japan:

I am going to do a Hikaru wig from Magic Knights Rayearth, but all the wigs I have found are too knavishly red (If you look at the manga pictures, her hair is actually more pinkish than red!). I'm now able to make the decision to get a pink wig and make it more red with a sharpie. Horrah for ending my indecision, and thanks again for the info!:heart:

elfinder
10-19-2003, 06:03 PM
I have been debaiting on colouring a wig myself, for my Yuki from Fruits Basket costumes..... I'm not too happy with the one I currently have.

I was wondering about a few things.

1). How do you aply the pen to the hair? Do you just like colour it on in small groups of hair?
2). What type of tip should I get for the sharpie?
3). How many pens would I need for a short wig?

I do plan to wear gloves while colouring it of course hehe....... I just hope I can get the colour. Yuki's hair is a dark grey..... and there's no sharpie for that colour..... there's mettalic silver but it might be too light..... I'm gonna have to blend like 3 different colour pens to get it the way I like it eeeeee

Vialoi Ketsueke
10-19-2003, 07:03 PM
I have been debaiting on colouring a wig myself, for my Yuki from Fruits Basket costumes..... I'm not too happy with the one I currently have.

I was wondering about a few things.

1). How do you aply the pen to the hair? Do you just like colour it on in small groups of hair?
2). What type of tip should I get for the sharpie?
3). How many pens would I need for a short wig?

I do plan to wear gloves while colouring it of course hehe....... I just hope I can get the colour. Yuki's hair is a dark grey..... and there's no sharpie for that colour..... there's mettalic silver but it might be too light..... I'm gonna have to blend like 3 different colour pens to get it the way I like it eeeeee

There is a Prisma color marker for dark grey. I would not use a Mettalic silver for Yuki's hair. I highly recommend using a cool Grey for Yuki's hair. I used Cool Grey at 20% for my Muraki wig, and it came out beautifully. (.. Here http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=79462&password=&sort=1&cat=3425&page=1 )
I think if you used a Cool Grey at 50% it would look rather nice.. but seriously.. I wouldn't use a metallic silver marker.

Oh, and for applying the colors it's best to just streek it downwards.

elfinder
10-19-2003, 07:08 PM
But Prisma Markers run and bleed..... Katie Bair advises not to use them. I don't want my wig to bleed and ruin my costumes...... I wish Sharpie had more colours....... I have seen ones I could use with copics..... but they're so expensive and I'd have to get so many >.< and living in canada doesn't help with that........

Vialoi Ketsueke
10-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Prisma's don't run and bleed... I mean, they might if you get your wig wet. But they won't otherwise.

I can rub my wig against white fabric and it won't rub off the color.

I don't know what happens if you get the wig wet, then again.. You really shouldn't be running around with ANY dyed wig in the rain.

I don't know what type of Prisma Markers this..Katie Bair used, but.. uh. .Honestly she must have got ghetto Prisma Markers. Maybe she got the non perminant ones.

elfinder
10-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Well as for the rain....... I got to Sakura Con in Seattle and I live in BC..... where there is rain lolz... so running from the hotel to places it could get wet etc........

I dunno if I wanna use Prisma...... I'll have to see.... I don't even know where they're sold.....

Vialoi Ketsueke
10-19-2003, 07:42 PM
This "Katie Baire" person also might have had one of the cheesey wigs, that don't really hold color well.

Prisma Markers are usually sold at any art store. ..Plus they do have a web site.

On an other note, I wouldn't listen to just one person about wig coloring. Just because Katie had bad luck with her wig coloring (.. I'm sorry, I just feel like you are shooting the idea down completely because of this one girl) , doesn't mean you will.

Well,..I think you should just run a test before you think of coloring your whole wig with the silver sharpie. .. I just wouldn't jump right on that.

But then again you don't have to take my advice, I'm only one person.

elfinder
10-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Well Katie Bar makes custom wigs..... but I'm not just listening to her of course. I've read all of the pages of this topic and a couple of people have mentioned having prism markers run....

Lolz I'll see if I can find some and I might give it a try..... I'll just have to wait and see. I don't plan to get the wig for a while anyway.

Gren
10-19-2003, 09:02 PM
It took 6 markers to tint my Riku wig silver. That runs about to shoulder length, but I also used more hair to make that wig than normal manufatured ones use. So just go ahead and pick up the pack of 4 and see where it goes from there.

I recommend chisel over normal, but sadly they didn't make it in silver.

I don't recommend silver when what you want it grey. When this wig catches the light, it looks like it's been dunked in mercury, and I hypothesize that flash pictures are going to caputure that element.

elfinder
10-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Yeah I really didn't want to use silver..... but there is no grey. I guess I can't use sharpies...... sniff..... i'll have to try prisma or copics (I really can't afford copics though sniff)..... I guess if I do colour the wig it will have to be prisma and I just hope it NEVER gets wet lol

I did check out the colours for Prisma..... the cool grey 50% would work. The current wig I have just isn't the right cute and it's too purple. I plan to eventually colour a wig myself

thankies for the info! :D

KaraokeKate
10-20-2003, 02:51 AM
The trick is to SHAKE the pen. Hard. This sends all the grey pigment to one end, while the filament floats at the other. This will make your pens dry out a lot faster than normal though, but I have been able to use it to make grey.

Also, Danaka, they do make grey wigs, but you're not going to find them with the party wig colors. Look for costume wigs instead. ^_^

-Katie

Dia
10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
On the subject of marker coloring, I'm looking to make a pale blue waist-length wig (specifically, this one (http://www.worldofmagic.net/cartsnap/product_info.cgi?Wig_Cart+27434_1066675448+Wig_Car t_cart/images/62.jpg+cartsnap/Wig_Cart_cart/full_text/62.txt+62+Cher/70s) - and yes, I realize this will take an absurd amount of markers and a whole lot of time). Would you recommend starting with a white wig, or one in the light blue offered there? I'm wary of ordering a light blue wig, however, because they often turn out to be the "sky blue" shade that has more green in it than I want.

ainslye
10-20-2003, 05:32 PM
I've got a pink wig that I'm looking to add a thick brown stripe down the back. I've got both sharpies and prismacolors in brown, still tossing around which one to use...
here's my question..
I read earlier in this thread the need to rinse the wig after you color it to keep the color from bleeding everywhere. If I am not coloring the entire wig, is it still safe to rinse it? As in, will the color bleed to other parts of the wig? If not, what alternative choices to I have?
TIA ^_^

elfinder
10-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info Katie, so using a silver one if I shaked it would work? As for a party wig in grey... well I doubt I could find one in the right cut then lolz..... but I'll take a looksie. The wig I plan to use is grey white, it's just a bit too light grey.

KaraokeKate
10-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Dia: The color shown on that link is totally off. It's still the same "sky Blue" as the rest, they just didn't take a very good picture. If you plan to color a wig light blue, I'd suggest starting with white. ^_^

ainslye: If you're going to put in a streak with a Sharpie, just use a wet paper towel to wipe off the excess ink. Also, I'd suggest pinning a dry paper towel under the streak while you color it. (I, of course, don't recommend Prismas since they run, but that's up to you.)

Pendrell
10-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Would you recommend starting with a white wig, or one in the light blue offered there? I'm wary of ordering a light blue wig, however, because they often turn out to be the "sky blue" shade that has more green in it than I want.

Good heavens. o_o And you thought _I_ was a masochist. *l*
Well, I heartily endorse the white, of course. That's only because it worked out quite well for me. ^^ What type of markers do you plan to use?
The few Prismacolors that I tested out took nicely to the wig, plus the tip was broader than that of a Sharpie... methinks in the future I'll look around for Prismacolors when I need to get that 'just-so' shade for a wig. The wide variety of Prismacolor hues certainly isn't a hindrance, either. :3

Dia
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
So white it is. I figured that was the "sky blue," which I really don't want ^^;;

I'm not sure what kind of markers I'll use just yet - I still have to finish reading through this whole thread. Guh.

Schu
10-24-2003, 10:20 PM
I've been working on turning a silver wig to a greyish sterling blue with white highlights, and the silver sharpies don't really show up as "silver" but just turn the hair a pretty shade of grey... I used a light blue sharpie I found in my markers and the silver one.....

oh, and make sure and pick the hair you're coloring up off the rest of the hair before you color it, or it will show the lines from the wig cap udnerneath >_<

Pendrell
10-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Whooo... good thing you mentioned the wig cap lines, Schu. Drove me UP THE WALL trying to even out the colors on mine where I neglected to lift away and color.. >.o

SquishedFlower
10-27-2003, 03:01 PM
I used sharpies to color my Hyatt wig on the way home from florida, the old woman next to me in the plane asked me if i was in "show Business.."
rember to always rinse the wig out afterwards, i diddent and got a blue back that lasted for days!

Starlit Rose
10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
This post is half on-topic and half off.

http://www.worldofmagic.net/cartsnap/product_info.cgi?Wig_Cart+26781_1066619438+Wig_Car t_cart/images/51.jpg+cartsnap/Wig_Cart_cart/full_text/51.txt+51+Tina/Punk

How accurate to the picture is the "golden orange?"

Also, if I got a "yellow blonde" wig and colored it with a marker, how would that look? I thought about getting that and just darkening it with a marker. I'm trying to get a cheesy, kind of orangey gold color, but they don't really have what I'm wanting. o.O I've never tried coloring a wig before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Also, about how many markers does it take to color a wig, and is it necessary to have more than one shade of a color of a marker for it?

*falls over*

KaraokeKate
10-31-2003, 01:58 AM
How accurate to the picture is the "golden orange?"

That is the same color as "Gold Coins" at Amphigory. It's also the same color as the Maria Renard and Sera Myu Uranus wigs in my gallery.

http://www.katiebair.com/wiggallery.html

Also, if I got a "yellow blonde" wig and colored it with a marker, how would that look? I thought about getting that and just darkening it with a marker. I'm trying to get a cheesy, kind of orangey gold color, but they don't really have what I'm wanting. o.O I've never tried coloring a wig before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Also, about how many markers does it take to color a wig, and is it necessary to have more than one shade of a color of a marker for it?

I would start with a "No Problemo" or "Honey Sweet" wig from Amphigory, as those are the most "golden" blondes available. (All wig sellers have the same shades to work with, but those are the particular names she chose for those shades.)

Depending on the length of the wig and how thorough of a job you're doing, at can take anywhere from 5 to 15 markers, and many colors can only be achieved by carefully overlapping your strokes.

...on a related note, I think I've made a breakthough that's going to make this whole wig coloring thing a lot easier to do. I'll post more about that later... ¬_¬

Starlit Rose
10-31-2003, 04:02 PM
That is the same color as "Gold Coins" at Amphigory. It's also the same color as the Maria Renard and Sera Myu Uranus wigs in my gallery.

Ooooh, thank you! That helps out a lot. I think I may go that way. ^_^

And I'm interested in hearing about this break-through you speak of. =O

Hikaru Tsuki
11-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I've had a short light blonde wig sitting in my closet for almost two years. I met a cosplayer who had the exact same wig and turned it silver by using Ice Spiker Gel (in silver). I purchused the gel, but am a little nervous to do it. So, I wonder, is it possible to turn a light blonde to silver with a Sharpie? I just want to see what my options are before I start working on the wig.

ainslye
11-06-2003, 05:41 PM
I just finished the stripe in my pink Ruby wig. ^_^ I'll post pics when I get back from nekocon! Thanks for all the advice and help, everyone.

SquishedFlower
11-06-2003, 06:53 PM
For my KOS-MOS wig, her hair is pale blue and seems to get darker at the tips. I dont know if i should layer the coloring of the sharpie marker or would it make it sticky?, im starting with a white wig.

PorcelainSakura
11-08-2003, 05:15 AM
For my KOS-MOS wig, her hair is pale blue and seems to get darker at the tips. I dont know if i should layer the coloring of the sharpie marker or would it make it sticky?, im starting with a white wig.

to me the color variation in that pic look due to the effect of reflecting light, not actual difference in the hair. although if you chose to do it in real life it would make an a very neat impression.

Hitori
11-20-2003, 10:56 AM
this thread is amazing, but what about styling? Do you painstakingli style the thing and it's all gooped up and *then* colour it while trying not to ruin its shape... or the other wai around?

SquishedFlower
11-20-2003, 02:00 PM
I color it before i style, you have to do more hair, but I would never be able to color it after its styled i would kill the whole thing

digikoomi
11-24-2003, 08:44 PM
can we wash it? the color may fade?

Hanyaan
11-25-2003, 03:15 PM
I hate to add more questions but I'm having trouble with obtaining a certain color. Since I've finally given up on using my current tangled (and ghetto) anime Ruby Moon wig and am starting over, I need some help with the coloring. I previously used a pale pink wig even though the real color is dark magenta. I tried using berry and purple Sharpies to color it but the berry alone wasn't dark enough, even with two coats, and berry and purple together was both too purple AND too dark.

What kind of starting color should I be using, and what kind of Sharpies? I really need help, especially since I've used up the entire pale pink wig with my experimentations.

Here's a pic with the color I want; Ruby Moon's the one with the huge buns in the upper left. http://ruby.silhouette-project.com/group_06.jpg

Koumori
11-25-2003, 03:27 PM
You can also lighten the color of a sharpie by going over it with a tissue or cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol - but you have to do it before it's entirely dry, and it takes a lot of practice to get the timing right, so it's a good idea to start on the underlayers of your wig and then work out. I still haven't got it down.

digikoomi
12-09-2003, 10:07 PM
ok, no one have idea that we can wash it or not. Today I try to wash it, so prove that color still stay. So we know we can wash this marker coloring wig! hoho!

KaraokeKate
12-12-2003, 02:37 PM
ok, no one have idea that we can wash it or not. Today I try to wash it, so prove that color still stay. So we know we can wash this marker coloring wig! hoho!

Um... I think I've already proved that over the last 8 months.... ^_^'

http://www.katiebair.com/wigscolor.html

After you rinse out the excess ink with cold water, the color is there to stay.

The only way to remove it is with a *lot* of rubbing alcohol. (Or hairspray that contains too much alcohol.) Even if it starts to be dissolved by the alcohol in the hairspray, gently rubbing off the excess is STILL going to leave color on the wig. ^_^

-Katie

Crystalike
03-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi guys! =D

I'm planning to buy this eBay wig for my Songtress Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2 cosplay because it's pretty accurate, with the exception of the bangs which I will fix, and the color....@_@;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Woderful-Medium-Long-Blonde-Hair-Wig-Cheers-W136_W0QQitemZ6856477316QQcategoryZ60188QQcmdZView Item

But I am completely new to wigs...much less wig coloring, and this marker coloring style seems pretty easy so I'm doing it! I have Shinhan unwashable markers that would do well; they don't smell strongly of alcohol like some markers mentioned, and come in many colors! I'm probably going to use dark brown and reddish markers for the bottom of the wig, and put golden/auburn highlights on the top and use a mainly auburn marker for the main color of the wig. I need to get the wig to be this color; you guys think it's possble for a newbie? ^_^

Luna
04-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Yay! I have the question that wasn't covered in this very helpful thread!!!

So, I understand, since hairspray has alcohol in it and can make sharpie colored wig run and ruin your costume - what are the wig styling products you can safely use on the wig, after you colored it with sharpie???
I assume hairgel would be safe???

SyriMoon
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I just colored my wig with a pale pink Copic marker, and it turned out PERFECT! See, the wig I bought was SUPPOSE to be a dusty light pink. WHat I got was a medium gray-silver wig with, like, a fingers width of pink dusted in. Not cool. So I grabbed the ONE Copic I had, the perfect pink, and just went to it. Since I didn't need to dye the whole thing, just tint it, it only took one marker and about two hours. It's WONDERFUL. Stinks like hell, but it'll work.

Copics dries a little tacky and sticky, but I just smoothed it with a damp paper towel and fine-toothed it and it's just as soft as ever

tsukii
08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello!
I know it was years since the last post but I just give it a bump and pray it's not dead.
Now I have read all of this tread and lots of others regarding changing color on wigs, the thing I still wonder bout is:

I has a blonde short wig and the bang is supposed to stay that color and the rest of the wig will I color black... And when I rinse it, how to keep the bang blonde, and the rest bleeding-free and black?

And what kinds of trouble can I expect to encounter when painting with black... lot of people say you shouldn’t use black but I has to! >_<

Thanx a lot for all kind of help with this matter!

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166570676l/13594.jpg