PDA

View Full Version : beating the snot out of a car

Zot
06-23-2003, 11:04 PM
so at fanime durring the fighting game shoot there was a breif talk about how cool it would be to have a skit of one fighter going on stage and starting to crush a car(paper mache or somethin) for like a minute ... then a ton of fighting game characters running on stage and finishing the thing off... it would be so much fun, and really cool.

and, well i have no idea how to set up a skit, so if someone more experienced wanted to take up the task, or is just interested feel free to post. i'd be going on as joe from fatal fury.

so wadda ya think???

Nachoman
06-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Well, paper mache can be extremely resistant IF you are willing to put tons of time into reinforcing it.
First of all, forget completely about doing "pulp" maper-mache. Better think about doing with entire pages of newspaper.
I would recomend to you to begin by doing large, flat slates of paper-mache (a glass table is ideal for this), and getting them to be at least five coats thick before even thinking about moving them. You should insert at least a layer of "fibre" (a half-inch reticule of some good poliester thread (avoid fishing line)) between the third and fourth layer, which will ensure that when you hit it, you will create dents instead of pocking holes.
Be sure to make a lot more slates than you'll need for the body of the car.
Now, you'll have to shape the slates. Cut the extra slates into a reticular frame of the body of the car (like the image I attached to this post), and once it dries, began adhering the body slates into this frame, flat-side out (you might need to lightly rehidrate them, but be very careful not to soften the first layer). Now comes the hardest part: to reinforce it, you'll have to apply at least five or more layers of paper mache, and at least one more of fibre, to the entire inner surface of the entire thing...
Once you're done, you can start the paint job. If you were serious when doing and protecting the outer surface, you should get a metallic-looking finish with no sweat.

Zot
06-24-2003, 04:48 PM
hmmm that might make transport dificult... we'd have to make it at the convention... and i was thinking of using a chicken wire and thin wooden dowel support structure.

Nachoman
06-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Well, I said how should it be done in order to win workmanship just by making the car [which you might make in modules (front, middle, back, and upper) and assemble it at the con], and then win performance when it doesn't fall apart after ten seconds; however, such a car should only be attempted within the same geographical area, as it would take a couple of weeks just of drying time.

Michi
06-25-2003, 02:02 AM
I don't think the point of this skit is trying to win workmanship or anything like that. It's for the fun idea of a bunch of fighters beating up a car.

Sometimes people enter masquerades to enjoy themselves instead of focusing on winning. @_x

Nachoman
06-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Well, being the basic requirement Zot quoted, for the mock-up to stand up to a beating for a good minute, I told him the best way to get the job done. (BTW, chicken wire is great to reinforce, but is a pain to cut once is part of the structure)
Besides, I also considered that he is refering specifically to a con which is just over, so he is planning for next year; and that he wouldn't only have time to do an extremely elaborate job, but also arrange to have a way to transport it (not that it should be a problem, as I have myself taken kayaks on the bus and canoes on the subway, and Novato and St.Clara CA are just at opposite ends of the coverage of the BART, if my memory serves me well).
And any way, if he decided to go for a skit that will be so original that will almost guarantee him a presentation award (or at least an honorary mention), why not go for the workmanship also? He has an entire year to work it out!

The way I calculated the time is the following:
Making the slats: 3-20 man-hours, for all the slats (depends on individual productivity)
Drying the slats: 1day-2weeks (depends on humidity)
Making the frame, and shaping the body on it: one or two weekends
Reinforcing the frame: a few weekends (entirely up to the individual's productivity)
Paintjob: Go figure.