PDA

View Full Version : What did you save?

quadrain61
05-25-2008, 10:29 AM
For those who were affected by the fire alarm, what was/were the things you saved during evacuation?

For me it was my keys and wallet (I'm lame)

salty
05-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Wallet (forgot the keys D'oh!), and pretty much left everything else...laptop...both costumes...all my rum and vodka (fuel for the fire!! RAWR!!!)

yeah...i just had my WoW shirt and jeans and a pair of flip flops and my wallet.

Totally beat you in the lame dept!! XD

Rei2Rei
05-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Haha...My friends and I never left our room. We called the main desk twice and they said it was ok to stay inside. However, it kind of freaked us out when they announced that the hotel had been searched. We probably should have left with everyone else!!

I would have definitely grabbed my laptop and camera, though. :thumbsup:

Shadowoffire123
05-25-2008, 05:12 PM
What exactly happened?

`Difficile
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
O_o Yeah guys, what happened? I stayed at Comfort Suites and the alarm went off this morning, but we didnt know the inside story. I called the lobby and they just said it was OK, the electricity was out for a while though.
So did something happen at the Sheraton like that too? ...Or did you guys stay at CS as well?

Kyasaren
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Well one went off first on Friday, except the 5th floor alarms didn't go off (we were on the 5th floor) We found out about it when the announcement came on, and the other people on our same floor all said we didn't hear the alarm go off.

Apparently, someone was welding (something with the AC) and something DID catch on fire, but the hotel itself wasn't on fire.

Sunday morning, about 7 a.m. we hear the alarm. Everyone does, it reminded me of the silent hill siren a bit, it was VERY creepy, especially to wake up half conscious to it blaring through your ears.
The power went out apparently before it happened, but floors 1-4 still worked, it took about an hour to get the power back.

It was SO COLD standing outside T_T

double00beaver
05-25-2008, 05:39 PM
I was at the Extended Stay and was up at 7:30 getting ready for my panel at 9:00 and I get three calls in a row going on about the electricity being out and them asking ME if the panel was canceled due to it and I'm going ".....how would I know? Now get in costume and get your butts into the lobby to find the volunteers!!" xD

Shadowoffire123
05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I was at the SpringHill and our power went out this morning...weird.

Regena
05-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Friday there was a false alarm.....and i slept through it, i woke up to the annoucement of them sayin it was a false alarm.
The second time GOD i wish i would have had a kodak moment for EVERYONE who was sleeps, reactions all jumping out the bed at once and FREAKING the hell out, scrambling around in the dark tryin to find out shit.
I had to throw clothes on, and the most i grabbed was my phone. Fun times!!

AnarchyAvenger
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM
I went to sleep about 5am and woke up 2 hours later to what sounded like to me to be the silent hill siren. Before I knew I was awake I looked out in the hall to try to figure out what was going on. I threw shoes at QuickSilver and ran down stairs. So basically I saved my lovemuffin, shoes, and my own ass. The cosplay, sadly, would have burned....

Blitzkrieg1701
05-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I had already spent a good chunk of the previous night getting packed, so when the alarm went off I just took my suitcase and backpack and threw 'em in the van. Saved a lot of time, actually!

MintFlavoredGum
05-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Nothing. I was half asleep. I just got up and walked out.
*shudder*
Ughh...the creepy silent hill alarm.

Lynnisincraze
05-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Hmm. Funny story actually.
I was in another hotel[the Hilton] but had I been in that one, I would have already been awake and half way into my costume.
I'm not crazy, just slow. So I get up early. Especially for panels.

`Difficile
05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Hah, I love how half of you people evacuated. Me and mah mom were just chillin' in our room.
OF COURSE WE WOULD'VE DIED ON THE 5TH FLOOR LOL BUT SO?

djkidna
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
A roomie and friend came into the room (at the Shery) and told us of the power outage, and we heard distant sirens but nothing in the room until about 7:30, then we were just pissed. We just stayed in the room in a pissy mood wondering why the hell an evacuation is required for a district wide power outage.

Noxjas
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I think it was Bob who told me, but:

A power substation knocked the power out for the region, and when the power is out, the sprinklers do not work, so the fire alarms go off automatically in the case that it was a fire that caused the black out. And apparently "better safe than sorry".

FFrikku
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
i was at the spring hill next door, and when we woke up this morning we didnt have power. luckily we had water and our room keys still worked -_-; but downstairs the security alarm wouldnt stop going off. i felt bad for the hotel staff because they were trying to make it stop, but every few seconds the phone would ring.
so did someone pull an alarm at the sheraton?
when i left my room i didnt even have freaking socks on. i had my friend (who left her glasses in the room and couldnt see), and my room card. thank goodness everyone was ok

Blue Emotion
05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
The power went out in our neighborhood, too....thirty minutes away. Dx What was with the weird power problems? I saw fire trucks both days I was there...

chevron694
05-25-2008, 09:48 PM
What funny and scare if it had been a real fire like 3/4 of us would be died. Like for me 7AM I want in bed still a sleep and the alarm gose off (Not knowing if it REAL danger or false) After years of hard wirded training jump up run over get my pants and about to run out the door when I realize "where the hell is my wallet" I had it some were in the room and my room key is my wallet. so I spent 10 minutes looking for that thing and once I find it I run out almost forgetting my shoes. And once I get outside were all standing around not knowing whats going no and there is a girl films it all. I was like O wait I have seen this before not CLOVERFIELD.

KurzesHaar
05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
We definately packed the remains of our room which included me carrying my entire Cardcaptor Sakura costume with me down the stairs and outside - I didn't even bother putting shoes on, the costume was way more important than stepping on dirt and leaves XD

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Friday there was a false alarm.....and i slept through it, i woke up to the annoucement of them sayin it was a false alarm.
The second time GOD i wish i would have had a kodak moment for EVERYONE who was sleeps, reactions all jumping out the bed at once and FREAKING the hell out, scrambling around in the dark tryin to find out shit.
I had to throw clothes on, and the most i grabbed was my phone. Fun times!!

very fun times with all eight of us jumping up at the same time like "What the F!!!" LOL

i saved nothing. I went outside BAREFOOT because i couldnt even find my shoes in the dark. haha. Regena was all 'Did you get your car keys'....and i'm like 'uh...no'. lol. Funny thing is, last year we all woke up to someone arguing sunday morning around the same time. So, now i'm thinking it's tradition for us that our Sunday mornings are not normal at Animazement

cmkcubed
05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
You know I think it's funny that some didn't evacuate during the alarm. Doesn't look like grade school tests taught you guys anything! ;P I'm sorry but if something may be on fire, I'm getting the hell out of there.

I had my alarm set to go off at the same time the fire alarm went off so I was fine waking up then. I ended up just putting on some shoes and walking out. Wished I would have taken a toilet with me though....

Miss.AllSunday
05-26-2008, 11:43 AM
lol I stayed in bed aswell

Kilayi
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I didn't hear any fire alarms over at the Springhill Suites when the power was out, all I heard was my sister and 2 other roomates going on and on about how it was out, then having two of them jump all over the sleeper sofa to get across it (which I was on) D:

I had been planning to sleep till 10 or so ):

Nightflame
05-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Wallet (forgot the keys D'oh!), and pretty much left everything else...laptop...both costumes...all my rum and vodka (fuel for the fire!! RAWR!!!)

yeah...i just had my WoW shirt and jeans and a pair of flip flops and my wallet.

Totally beat you in the lame dept!! XD

I wasn't at the anime convnetion yet. I heard it happened on friday before school let out and I didn't want to miss any more school so I could be exempt from finals. So did any of your stuff get stolen or lost?

Sh!bby
05-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm really convinced that the elementary-high school fire drills ruined this generation. Everyone in my room on Sunday morning swore a lot and rolled over muttering. We weren't going to get out of bed. When we finally decided that maybe we should, and started putting on our bathrobes and heading to the door, the freakin' alarm STOPPED.

We were so pissed.

But yeah. I was first floor. If something was on fire, I'm sure I would've seen some sort of smoke, and people would not have been so close to our window. We kind of cracked the curtains and watched.

o01101011
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Didn't save a thing. (which is sad since we had numerous dolls, laptops, and cameras.)

We noticed the power was out(and the alarm hadn't yet hit the 8th floor but we could hear it below) so Ryan called down to the lobby and found out there was no emergency. After about 20 minutes the alarm finally went off in our room and to get away from it we decided to head down. We got to the 4th floor before we just stopped and waited on the mini balcony by the stairs, and then inside by the elevators(which..someone tried to use..we could hear it moving).

sybunny07
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
haha i just got up all groggy like and ran out barefoot and in my jammies. i have been well trained to evacuate. w00t!

i guess i can say i saved my hubby cuz i got him out of bed ^.^ he's important hehe

yeah i heard that the power was out all around near page rd, stoplights down n all that. somethin about some larger hotels, when there is a massive power outage the fire alarms go off too, in case there is some sort of issue causing the outage that would require evacuation.

yay sleepy people!

EvilAuthor
05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I grabbed my cell and put on shoes.
Other then one person stopping to get dressed, everyone in my room just put on shoes and grabbed phones and room keys.

quadrain61
05-26-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm really convinced that the elementary-high school fire drills ruined this generation. Everyone in my room on Sunday morning swore a lot and rolled over muttering. We weren't going to get out of bed. When we finally decided that maybe we should, and started putting on our bathrobes and heading to the door, the freakin' alarm STOPPED.

We were so pissed.

But yeah. I was first floor. If something was on fire, I'm sure I would've seen some sort of smoke, and people would not have been so close to our window. We kind of cracked the curtains and watched.

I didn't want to get up either, I even told everyone to turn it off; however, when I got over and grabbed my glasses, I noticed the power was out on the clock. I checked the lamp too to confirm the power was out too.

Tigress
05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I just grabbed Hobbs, told my friends I'd find out what was going on and trudged down. Didn't even bother to put my eyes in, so I couldn't see for crap.

TenkanTamago
05-28-2008, 12:52 PM
We just assumed it was a final ploy from the cleaning staff. So we grabbed EVERYTHING of value (laptops, DSs, camera, wallets, etc) and went outside.

I do love that if it had been a real fire the vast majority of congoers would have died seeing as how most of you barely walked ten feet from the hotel.

Oh and I heard it was the peoples doing construction nearby. They were working, hit the power grid, and voila. We gots no power for a few minutes.

I did so enjoy seeing everyone in their nighties and lovely hair. Sabrina was like "grr, morning time stupidity!" Xav just looked mad. o_o;

TheRareHunterH
05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I picked up my pink Nintendo DS Lite loaded with PokeMon Diamond and my mom's iPod which had the two Mother 3 soundtracks from iTunes on it. Technically, she told me to bring the iPod but the Mother 3 soundtracks were just an added incentive to do so. :toothy:

EvilAuthor
06-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I did so enjoy seeing everyone in their nighties and lovely hair. Sabrina was like "grr, morning time stupidity!" Xav just looked mad. o_o;Yea...When not in costume, I wear a lot of dark colors so a lot of my friends have the wrongful impression I'm a very dark person.
Naturally, I got a few shocked faces when I exited the hotel in Hello Kitty pajamas.

I loved how later that morning, most of the guest confessed to refusing to leave their rooms for fear of having their picture taken while in their pajamas. If it had been a fire, all the guests would have died to save face.

Yuki Hikari
06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
I had on my Akatsuki cloak which I grabbed because I was cold, and I'm glad I did because it was quite chilly outside. xD
I didn't grab anything else though because I figured it was nothing serious.

kireina seishin
07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't sleep that night/morning so I was already up when the alarm went off.