PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Moon Wig

*Jibrielle*
06-24-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm going to start soon on my Neo Queen Serenity costume but I have no Idea where to get a wig that long. Do any of you know where I can find one?
Thanks!:juggler:

:angel:

Maryssa
06-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Your best bet is to start with a short wig and add on extentions.

*Jibrielle*
06-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Ok thanks! :D

Lilybit
06-27-2003, 12:09 AM
You should get a "Godiva" wig, they're *incredibly* long and they come in a light or dark blonde, if anything, you can spray it white or some other technique (if you wanna do manga style), but I know spray works pretty well~
Godiva wigs are cheap, too, you can get them for about $25-30!

carly579
06-27-2003, 04:43 AM
I reccomend going with a short wig, extensions and a foam ball for the odango. Wrap hair around the foam, then attach the extension to the wig and use your "odango" to hide were you attached your extension. i've tried tying odangos into long wigs and couldn't get it to work. The ponytail like pulled the bottom of the wig cap up :(

Michi
06-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Aren't Godiva wigs pretty darn cheap quality?

*Jibrielle*
06-27-2003, 03:16 PM
-Carly--> Thanks I think I'll do that.

-Michi--> I don't know.

Lucifer
06-28-2003, 08:59 AM
I go with the short wig with extensions. I know two people who both have Usagi wigs, and the best ones I've seen were from a short wig and two extensions.

Also, I'd have the wig be light blonde or near white, since for some reason her hair gets whiter as she got older (lol, stress of having the spore as a kid I guess).

*Jibrielle*
06-28-2003, 12:33 PM
---> I think I'm going with the short wig and extensions. It's a really good Idea. Thanks Everyone!

---> lol lucifer

childdoll
06-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Jibrelle, you might also want to check out amphigory.com, I have the "Enchantment" wig in white. It's really nice and comes down a little passed my waist. You could always put extentions on it if you need it longer.

*Jibrielle*
06-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm looking at that site and I really like that wig I think I'm going to get that one. Thanks!

childdoll
06-28-2003, 06:47 PM
You're welcome! It's a great site for wigs. It's good quality, I was really pleased with it when it arrived. I'm using that one for a Rociel (one day...maybe Jacon next year). - you inspired me ^_^ Now I just have to get your secret on how you made those beautiful wings!

*Jibrielle*
06-29-2003, 10:58 AM
:bigtu: Really! Cool! Hey I don't mind helping you with your wings. I did mine in 2 days. Ok so I looked like a zombie (LOL), or I can lend you mine. We can have a angel sanctuary group for next year at Jacon!

KaraokeKate
06-29-2003, 12:42 PM
I usually start with the "Femme Fatale" length wig from Amphigory for my Usagi/Sernity wigs. It's much easier to pull the shorter length up then with the "Enchantment" wigs. ^_^

Adella
06-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Michi
Aren't Godiva wigs pretty darn cheap quality?

OH YEAH!!!

if you get Mona Lisa brand it's a little better. but Eleora is just the worst.

*Jibrielle*
06-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I guess it is easier to pull the shorter lenght up...Thanks Kate!

Blu_FireFly
07-03-2003, 07:51 PM
During a search for a wig I came across this site

http://www.iwaynet.net/~sos/odango/odango.html

It teaches you step by step on how to make your own Buns, I would suggest getting a good quality long haired wig spray it silver or even if you can get it in silver and doing the buns yourself.

Good luck!
Blu:razz:

*Jibrielle*
07-04-2003, 12:05 AM
That's a really cool site! Thanks Blu

Angel Kat III
07-04-2003, 01:49 AM
http://www.fifi-mahony.com/sailor.html

interested in spending a lot of money *giggles* I found this a long time ago.. but I think it costs like $100, but hey! you don't have to make it yourself... and if you can afford it, why not just get it.

~Angel kat III

KaraokeKate
07-04-2003, 02:55 AM
Do you notice that they didn't post a picture of the *back* of that wig? There's a reason for that...

Angel Kat III
07-04-2003, 02:58 AM
not necessarily, they do custom wigs all the time (really famous I guess) I would suggest e-mailing them and asking about the back... or better yet asking for a picture.

~Angel kat III

KaraokeKate
07-04-2003, 03:00 AM
I have a couple of their wigs that have been sent to me for repair jobs, and I've been less than impressed with their work on cosplay wigs.

I'd check with other cosplayers for a more honest review of their service before emailing them.

Blu_FireFly
07-04-2003, 03:43 AM
http://www.fortunecity.com/business/johns/1394/costume/smwigs.html

This is where Iím getting my wig, I'm getting the Sailor Pluto dark black/green color. It's cheap and the color is more to what her hair color is supposed to be as well as being my first con I wanted to keep it simple.

minako chan
07-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by KaraokeKate
Do you notice that they didn't post a picture of the *back* of that wig? There's a reason for that...

yeah, I e-mailed them about a pic of the back and they said that they'd post it on their site...that was like 8 months ago...

*Jibrielle*
07-04-2003, 12:14 PM
I think I'm going to e-mail them too.

*Jibrielle*
07-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Blu you are going to your first con ^__^ cool. My first con was like 1 month ago!

Angel Kat III
07-04-2003, 03:57 PM
*has just remembered somthing*

my local wig/costume shop has a pigtail wig that you could easily make the ponytails into buns and attach hair falls!!! ask your local costume/wig shop if they have a pigtail wig in yellow or blonde.

~Angel kat III

Blu_FireFly
07-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by *Jibrielle*
Blu you are going to your first con ^__^ cool. My first con was like 1 month ago!

Yeah it's my first:bashful:

Are you going to Otakon?

*Jibrielle*
07-05-2003, 08:35 PM
I wish I could go to Otakon but I start school Aug-7!!!! :bigcry:

Allia
07-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Sailor Moon on this site has beautiful wigs. I would try asking her where she got hers.

*Jibrielle*
07-08-2003, 08:30 PM
I already did. She told me she bought a short one and added extensions which is what I'm gonna do

LiL QoH
07-10-2003, 11:52 PM
I have a godiva wig that I'm going to use for pirotess is a couple years, it's pretty nice quality I got it off ebay

Kaori-chan
08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
But here's the thing with putting short wigs up: most wigs that I have seen are made so that the hair falls down, and is not meant to be put up. So wouldn't the hair would end up looking all weird and possessed in the back and on the sides? Please help me because I'll be needing a wig very similar to Sailor Moon's hairstyle in practically no time at all!

Ruby-Chan
08-25-2003, 02:46 AM
i suggest just going w/ kates instructions on how to do it yourself. she has the best damn wigs in the world so she probably knows alot about it. <- suck up ^_^

Kaori-chan
08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
my local wig/costume shop has a pigtail wig that you could easily make the ponytails into buns and attach hair falls!!! ask your local costume/wig shop if they have a pigtail wig in yellow or blonde.

~Angel kat III

WHERE IS IT? Does it have a website? If so, please link! I haven't been able to find good pigtail wigs anywhere!

Toka_pop
09-01-2003, 09:54 PM
I don't know about this one. It doesn't have buns, but maybe you could add them yourself. It might be a nice base to start with. You can play around with it and fix it up a bit. I've never ordered from this site so I can't speak for the quality. It's just something to think about. http://www.internationalwig.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LC_SailorMoon

Kaori-chan
09-02-2003, 06:41 PM
(O_______________O) That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for for my Ping cosplay! If only they had colors other than yellow..... *cries in frustration*

Ayne
09-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi! I've found this topic very useful since I'll need a Sailor Moon wig really soon...

But... what about Chibiusa?

I'm cosplaying Sailor Moon in October and I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time with the wig (either trying to get one or making it), but my sister is cosplaying Chibiusa and... I have no clue on how to get her a decent wig. Does anybody have an idea?
Most Chibiusa wigs I've seen are not very good... because the ponytails just fall down and don't have the rounded shape of the original character. I guess it's really hard to get the perfect style, and besides, we aren't good at styling wigs AT ALL (I've had very bad experiences with the few wigs I've used or made T_T) so... I really need help!!!

Thanks!!

Kaori-chan
09-06-2003, 12:58 PM
What about Katie Bair's site? She's booked for months so it wouldn't help you right now, but perhaps for future cosplays.

http://www.katiebair.com/wigs.html

*Jibrielle*
09-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi! I've found this topic very useful since I'll need a Sailor Moon wig really soon...

But... what about Chibiusa?

I'm cosplaying Sailor Moon in October and I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time with the wig (either trying to get one or making it), but my sister is cosplaying Chibiusa and... I have no clue on how to get her a decent wig. Does anybody have an idea?
Most Chibiusa wigs I've seen are not very good... because the ponytails just fall down and don't have the rounded shape of the original character. I guess it's really hard to get the perfect style, and besides, we aren't good at styling wigs AT ALL (I've had very bad experiences with the few wigs I've used or made T_T) so... I really need help!!!

Thanks!!

I dunno how to help you in this one but why don't you PM Sailor-Moon I think she has one maybe she can help ypu ^__^

ChibiRinoa
09-07-2003, 09:46 AM
for chibi-usa you can dhe same way you do usagi's, they sell little foam things shaped exactly like chibi-usa's buns. I have them at work, they should be in any craft or florist store. Then you just wrap the hair around them like with Usagi-chans.

Kaori-chan
09-07-2003, 02:49 PM
You could use a blowdryer on ***low*** heat to style the rest of the ponytails the way you want them too, though that may be a bit hard....

TsukiGuujin
09-07-2003, 03:06 PM
You know, I've been trying to figure out the SM wig thing for a LONG time now.
I actually have someone doing it FOR me, now (not telling who, it's a secret. ^^).

And for those of you who said to ask Sailor-Moon what she does with hers, she doesn't give away her secrets...I already tried that. ^^

Good luck to all of you, and wish me luck so that I don't style my one for this next con badly...(I can't get my good one in time)

~~Tsuki~~

Kaori-chan
09-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Go Tsuki! Ganbatte! Ganbatte! Waaaai!!!
:jjacks: :jjacks: :jjacks: :jjacks:

TsukiGuujin
09-08-2003, 01:08 PM
YEEEEEE!
Thankyou!

~~Tsuki~~

Kaori-chan
09-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Be sure to let us know how it turns out! (^.^)

sailor-moon
09-10-2003, 03:19 PM
And for those of you who said to ask Sailor-Moon what she does with hers, she doesn't give away her secrets...I already tried that. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

oh its no secret dear ^_~. plenty of people know how i did my wigs^_~. im just picky with who i tell. mostly just close friends that wonder about them :p

but yea..i really do insist figuring things out on your own..it actually isnt that hard XD

libelle
09-10-2003, 03:26 PM
i'll go for the amphigory.com enchatment one, jibry!

im gonna look around anyways, so if i found a longest one, ill let you know! ^.-

libelle
09-11-2003, 06:02 PM
check this one

http://www.worldofmagic.net/cartsnap/cartsnap.cgi?Wig_Cart

in the menu on your left go to "wtiches" and check out this style

Name: Cher 951-XL
Note: 44 inches long

quizas te sirva esa! la buscas en el color que lo quieres :)

TsukiGuujin
09-12-2003, 01:39 AM
>>Be sure to let us know how it turns out! (^.^)

So far, it sucks.
It's not looking like I have a wig. *CRIES*

>>oh its no secret dear ^_~. plenty of people know how i did my wigs^_~. im just picky with who i tell. mostly just close friends that wonder about them

O_o;
Funny, you once told me you'd tell me how, but then you told me you had changed your mind....

>>but yea..i really do insist figuring things out on your own..it actually isnt that hard

I'm guessing you have very good quality wigs to work with.
Me, I'm broke, and could only afford a crappy Halloween wig.
And it's not THAT easy. At least not for me.

>>i'll go for the amphigory.com enchatment one, jibry!

That's my pick. ^^

Well, back to work.
Good news, Duo costume 100% done and Sailor Moon fuku done, except for the collar, which I haven't figured out yet.
The wig, I haven't done yet, but I'm slowly getting there.
*cries* It really ISN'T working.

~~Tsuki~~

*Jibrielle*
09-12-2003, 12:36 PM
i'll go for the amphigory.com enchatment one, jibry!

im gonna look around anyways, so if i found a longest one, ill let you know! ^.-

I'm using the heroine or the enchantment and I still have to get the extensions because I want it to be veeeeery long. :jjacks:

*Jibrielle*
09-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Ok I'm using foam balls for my odangos will that turn out good?

TsukiGuujin
09-12-2003, 03:24 PM
You know, I'm thinking of foam for mine, too, if we can get some that will work. X_x;

~~Tsuki~~

megumibish
09-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah, foam balls will work as a great base for the odangos. Just keep in mind you'll need quite a bit of loose hair. Hehe side note. I finally figured how to put my real hair into lovely looking odangos. Soo Happy!! They are uber kawai. heh I've been wearing odangos since 96' myself, but they were not as pretty as Sailor Moons. Too bad iI don't really have bangs. Short ones that is. ^_^

*Jibrielle*
09-12-2003, 05:20 PM
I can put my hair in to odangos but they are not as round as the odangos. :S I'm thinking of buying extensions and cover the foam balls with the extensions. Then make like a hole in the foam ball and put the wig hair (wich will be in pony tails) through the hole and I will add more extensions to make the hair long.

megumibish
09-12-2003, 06:18 PM
That's how I would do it since loose extensions come in about 60 inch length folded. I would suggest using wire to hold the foam ball in place on the wig so it has firm hold. It would be a lil' wierd to work around but at least you won't have to worry about it moving outta place and or just coming a bit loose. I myself would first heat seal the loose hanging part of the hair for the ponytail part and wire attach it to the foam ball. Then as a wig safety measure have a loose wire attachment to the base wig for the ponytail part. Make sure it's long so you can move the odango around while working with it. Then take the hair from the original ponytail and glue it in place over the foam ball to make the odango. Trim the excess and caulk the loose ends in place. *POOF* you got a SM wig. Okay not just poof but ya know what I mean.

*Jibrielle*
09-12-2003, 08:38 PM
That's a great idea!!! ::Hugs you::

TsukiGuujin
09-12-2003, 11:19 PM
Okay.
These are pics of the Sailor Moon wig I styled.
I used the idea from a website that someone posted (which now I don't recall. X_x;) and I used some of my own ideas.

The wig is a VERY CRAPPY Halloween wig, and I despise it, but I think, for what I had to work with, it turned out okay.

I apologize for the crappiness of the pictures because the webcam kinda sucks.

It's not easy to see the wig, but y'all get the idea.

Oh, we're still going to curl the ponytails.

What I haven't figured out....is how to make the odango things...the red pieces, you know? X____x;

From the side. (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=79432&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)
From an odd angle. (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=79431&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)
From the front. (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=79430&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

Any opinions are welcome, as long as they're not telling me everything I did is wrong.

YAY!

BTW, that idea sounds fantastic, megumibish. Too bad there wasn't enough hair on my bad wig to do that. >.< But what I have will suffice.

~~Tsuki~~

megumibish
09-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Well for the Odango decorations you could always just use a huge button for each side. If you can't find one with the red color you could just paint it red in the center. Dammit I wan't to make a sailor moon wig but considering I"m making Iori Yagami's costume it's sorta pointless. My own hair will just have to suffice for now...(megumi whose in a crazed odango mood) heheh Tsuki your wig looks cute to me. I think you did a good job with what you had. ^_^

TsukiGuujin
09-13-2003, 12:33 AM
>>Well for the Odango decorations you could always just use a huge button for each side.

YO!
That is the greatest idea and I love you forever for it!
Should I just sew it to the wig, then, or....?

>>heheh Tsuki your wig looks cute to me. I think you did a good job with what you had. ^_^

You have NO FECKING CLUE how good that is to hear, when I was so worried it would suck and practically crying that I wasn't going to have a wig this year.

*SERIOUS HUG*
(and we should all be drawing Yaoi! ^^)

~~Tsuki~~

SailorMo
09-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Buttons will definitely work. I used a shank button, then "attached" (to the back) a circle cut out of craft foam for the white border. A small slit in the center is sufficient for the shank to be pushed through. Then hook a hairpin in the shank and stick that in the odango!

Can't help you on the wig tho... I got my yellow one from Fifi's. The one I used for Sailor Cosmos was made by Lacey, but they don't do the fully rooted with center part method anymore. I did use styrofoam for Cosmos' odangos, and wrapped hair around it.. and again, used a hairpin stuck through the styrofoam into the pigtail to get it to stay put. The hair covers it right up.

Spooky Brew
09-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Sailor moon cosplay has definitly gotten a boost and has become more popular. I myself ended up getting one custom made and I wasn't truly happy with the results. They changed the style without telling me and the way the curls were donw weren't meant for some abuse and are coming out in fat ringlets. And with they way they did it, I wouldn't be able to get rid of all the hair they basically glued in shape without it looking damn funny. I'm going to have to make my own, which will not be enjoyable since wigs tend to hate me sometimes! So, moral of the story is, &*@&$%! wig!!!

usagi
09-14-2003, 01:24 PM
>>Be sure to let us know how it turns out! (^.^)

>>oh its no secret dear ^_~. plenty of people know how i did my wigs^_~. im just picky with who i tell. mostly just close friends that wonder about them

O_o;
Funny, you once told me you'd tell me how, but then you told me you had changed your mind....

>>but yea..i really do insist figuring things out on your own..it actually isnt that hard

I'm guessing you have very good quality wigs to work with.
Me, I'm broke, and could only afford a crappy Halloween wig.
And it's not THAT easy. At least not for me.

~~Tsuki~~

yea, read what i wrote, i tell my FRIENDS ^_^ iv never met you and prior to you asking me, had never spoken with you. plus i told you why i coudlnt really tell >.> ::shakes head::

nah, im just good with wigs, quality had nothign to do with it really, though it is a bonus. ::shrugs:: i find it very easy to style wigs, but maybe thats just me.

SailorMo
09-14-2003, 02:28 PM
nice attitude there, Lori....
:rolleyes:

usagi
09-14-2003, 03:27 PM
yeap, i know right >:3

sometimes ya just have to say things the way they are.

Kaori-chan
09-14-2003, 09:35 PM
>>i'll go for the amphigory.com enchatment one, jibry!

So I'm guessing that's a good wig? I'm planning on ordering it if I can't find a good one at a store, so warn me if it's bad please ^^;

libelle
09-15-2003, 12:02 AM
thats the one i chose for shivas hair.

if you want a good reference, ask karaeoke kate, she was the one i got the idea from!

theres also a longer one (44 inches) i posted the site too.. in case you wanna take a look.. :)

libelle
09-15-2003, 12:11 AM
sorry doubled-posted.... my connection suckx...

O_o

TsukiGuujin
09-15-2003, 03:39 PM
You know what, Usagi, Sailor-Moon, whatever you want to call yourself, you telling your friends is just FINE with me.
I do NOT, however, appreciate the fact that you TOLD ME youíd tell me how, and then suddenly, you told me "Oh, never mind, my Seiya told me I shouldnít tell anyone." THAT is why you canít tell me!?!? Um, sorry, but, canít you make your own decisions?

As for wigs being easy to style, in general, yes, I agree with you.
Some styles are easier than others. And wigs donít like to do the pigtail thing without the netting showing in the back, as Iím certain youíve found

Another thing.
I also do NOT appreciate the attitude.
Yeah, I know Iím rather bitchy and have an attitude myself a lot. Iím a loudmouth, Iím obnoxious, I speak my mind, I have bad language, and I donít know when to shut up. And I canít resist arguments if Iím pissed off. Why do you think Duo Maxwell is my trademark?

But you know, every time I have interacted with you, you have this snotty I-am-everything attitude toward me. I never did ANYTHING to you. Iíve even fucking COMPLIMENTED YOU. But itís like, just because someone claims a character, no one else is allowed to do it. And fine. Whatever.

Everyone else, thank you for your help. It means the world to me. And go ahead and flame me for this post if youíd like, but I refuse to sit here and take attitude that I donít deserve.
If anyone wants to get snotty with me, fine. I just gave you a reason to. At least now Iíll KNOW why Iím getting the attitude.

Bloody Christ.

~~Tsuki~~

libelle
09-15-2003, 05:05 PM
whoa.. you guys, i know its none of my business, but hey, we are all part of a community here, we are here to help each other out, if not, what would be the purpose of the forum then?

I think thats the main purpose, if not, it wouldnt exist. So come on, lets be mates and treat each other with respect. Cosplay is supposed to be a fun hobbie and a way of knowing other people and have a good time, not to argue.

After all, we gain nothing with arguing! ^_^ so lets try and leave bad thoughs and things behind us, and be good, ok? ^_-

~peace! ^_^

TsukiGuujin
09-15-2003, 05:15 PM
I do, mostly, agree with you, libelle. I really do.
Of course, I have noticed much elitist behavior and Iím-better-than-you-because-I-cosplayed-longer-or-I-spent-three-million-hours-and-you-only-spent-one attitude. And I hate elitism.

I posted on this thread for help, as did most everyone else.

I only got angry because of an attitude I donít think I really deserve.

So yeah.
We can get back on topic now, and all try to help each other, and leave the elitism at the damn door.

^_________^

~~Tsuki~~

libelle
09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
that happens everywhere we go... sad, but true.. but let's try and dont let that, mess things up here! :)

its so much better to have a friend than being mad at someone!

tsuki, yup! way to go! ^_^

poor jibrelle! we turned her post into a war field! hahahaha nah j/k..

jibry! you owe me your rikku pics! dont forget!

*Jibrielle*
09-15-2003, 06:10 PM
...I'm not going to comment on the sailor-moon vs Tsuki thing. ^___^ So I'm just gonna go with my question: WHERE THE HELL CAN I FIND EXTENSIONS THAT COLOR!!!!!????AHHHH

Ok maybe I am going to comment on this: Please don't argue like libelle said: We are suppose to help each other not argue with each other. ^___^ :angel:

PS--> THEY ARE IN MY GALLERIE LIBELLEEEEEEE :p

Spooky Brew
09-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Jibrielle: one word, eBay!

Kaori-chan
09-15-2003, 09:08 PM
The whole netting thing is what I'm worried about when it comes to pigtails. I guess I'll just have to keep looking till I find something.... (>.<)

megumibish
09-15-2003, 09:14 PM
http://www.drlocks.net/ they have a really good selection and many people swear by them. good luck.

usagi
09-16-2003, 10:53 AM
You know what, Usagi, Sailor-Moon, whatever you want to call yourself, you telling your friends is just FINE with me.
I do NOT, however, appreciate the fact that you TOLD ME youíd tell me how, and then suddenly, you told me "Oh, never mind, my Seiya told me I shouldnít tell anyone." THAT is why you canít tell me!?!? Um, sorry, but, canít you make your own decisions?

But you know, every time I have interacted with you, you have this snotty I-am-everything attitude toward me. I never did ANYTHING to you. Iíve even fucking COMPLIMENTED YOU. But itís like, just because someone claims a character, no one else is allowed to do it. And fine. Whatever.

but I refuse to sit here and take attitude that I donít deserve.
If anyone wants to get snotty with me, fine. I just gave you a reason to. At least now Iíll KNOW why Iím getting the attitude.

Bloody Christ.

~~Tsuki~~

err >.> first off i had friends telling me that most likely if i told people how to do the style id get no creditf or it. iv seen it happen before to a lot of people i know, there nice and help someone , thent he person just pretty much takes the idea as there own and stuff. err.dont you take advice from your friends, Seiya is way smarter then me i tend to listen to her >.>

every tiem you v"interacted" with me? ^_^; it was only what,2 times if you got that much out of 2 little PM's im surprised^_^ you must read into online things a lot neh :p err. its an anime character, a cartoon *_* peopple cant claim characters *_* ::shakes head:: i thought maybe you woulda known this by now >.>

err ^_^;;err i wasnt giving you an attitude dear ^_^ thats just the way i type, maybe you need a break from message boards or soemthing and stop reading into them so much huh :p breaks are good^_~ you can never tell what kind of emotion people put into messags on boards, because hey, all you see if typing and not the actual person. calm down :p

GacktChowder
09-16-2003, 03:32 PM
o.O some people want credit for what they do and no matter how much u try to insult her, Usagi looks a hell of a lot like sailor moon- and not the best wig in the friggin world can change how a person truely looks...and tsuki if u get a wig and study it for a while then I'm sure youll eventually be able to figure it out >_> and um as for attitudes go- u really should get off message boards for a while- maybe go see some actual real-life people and interact- it does wonders for social skills >_>

*Jibrielle*
09-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Please :bigcry: no more argument!!!!!

megumibish -> Thanks! I'm looking at that right now!! ^___^

usagi
09-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Please :bigcry: no more argument!!!!!

megumibish -> Thanks! I'm looking at that right now!! ^___^

^_^ funny how when someone says something in my deffence you say that ::giggles:: people amuse me hehee ^__^ ::rolls around:::

*Jibrielle*
09-16-2003, 04:16 PM
^_^ funny how when someone says something in my deffence you say that ::giggles:: people amuse me hehee ^__^ ::rolls around:::

0___O!!!! I'm not taking sides if that is what you mean.

SailorMo
09-16-2003, 08:30 PM
*AGAIN* with the snotty attitude... -_-

You're worried about someone taking credit for *your* ideas?? There's nothing original about what you did with your SM wigs. I think everyone here pretty much figured out what you did anyway!

Despite the uppity attitude, it was my sincere opinion that you do nice work with wigs, based upon the pics you've posted. However-- I was honestly SHOCKED to see the state of that white one at the Cloisters photoshoot. The bangs were nice and perky, the styling neat and clean. But the odangos were way too big. They looked overwrapped, especially around the base of the odango, where it looked like there was some hair left over and the wrapping was continued, instead of just cut. The back.... O.O A lot of the netting showed-- the way it was pulled into pigtails, it looked like horizontal stripes of hair/netting/hair/netting/hair! Completely unimpressive. And you have the nerve to say you're not gonna share your "secrets"???!!

And talk about the pot calling the kettle black! You've been rather lax on giving proper credit for the costumes you've had commissioned!

Kaori-chan
09-16-2003, 08:47 PM
>>u really should get off message boards for a while- maybe go see some actual real-life people and interact- it does wonders for social skills >_>

But at the same time, message boards are a great way to meet and interact with new people from all kinds of cool places. I know human contact is better, but some people tend to feel more comfortable behind a computer screen than face-to-face with a stranger.

And as far as the whole attitude thing goes, the best thing to do (in my opinion, so please don't flame me for thinking I'm trying to make you think the way I do) is to just be yourself, and if someone misunderstands you, just apologize and try to explain what you were saying in a clearer way. But that's just my opinion. *shrug* I just hope we can end this conflict soon...

Rosiel
09-16-2003, 08:52 PM
All right people... this isn't kindergarden. If I see anything more that is not dealing directly with styling wigs I will close this thread.

Anyone who adds kindling to this fire after my post will get warned. Please let us be civil.

GacktChowder
09-16-2003, 08:55 PM
BAH! i posted something previously and i really wanted to say it but then i saw the great Rosiel who is amazing and i stood in awe and trembled. How are you master? your looking truely beautiful this evening :D

*Jibrielle*
09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Ok let's forget about this argument please.

Now back to the wig: I'll be posting pictures of my wig in the making....Im going friday to buy the foam balls. And Once I do thaaaaaaat: tadddaaaa I'll post pictures :P :angel:

TsukiGuujin
09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Of course, I have plenty more to say.
However.
I have decided that itís not worth it to fight with someone Iíll never have to actually look at. Thank God for small favors.

*ahem*
NDK is this weekend.
Hopefully the wig I have will be fine for my costume!
Iím still a little confused about the red odango pieces...I may have to live without for this con, since weíre running out of time.

Jibrielle, I hope you have better luck with your wig! ^___^
You know, they really skimp you on hair on wigs, donít they? O_o;

I noticed that even the more expensive ones, like the $28 one we got for Kasandraís Neherenia costume, show netting in the back! HOW ANNOYING IS THAT!?
Does anyone else have this problem when they pull a wig into pigtails, because I really do.

If anyone cares to see, Iíll post NDK Sailor Moon pics after the con. ^___^

~~Tsuki, who finally figured out how to get Duoís hair color out of a box~~

SailorMo
09-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Iím still a little confused about the red odango pieces

err?? Which part? Mine are basically red shank button + "fun foam" circle (slightly bigger than button) + hairpin, then stick the hairpin into the odango. It's really quick and easy to do.

I noticed that even the more expensive ones, like the $28 one we got for Kasandraís Neherenia costume, show netting in the back! HOW ANNOYING IS THAT!?

This will be with ANY wig. The hair is sewn for the hairstyle it's advertised as, usually down. I lucked out with that Lacey wig for Cosmos. The big difference was that since the hair was sewn for pigtails, the "center" of each pigtail was void of hair-- all the hair was sewn around the edges of the hairline and part. Does that make sense? The real pain in the ass part was resetting the pigtails because they were original set down below the ears.... >.<

Oh! I can't believe I forgot this-- my hairdresser showed me then a neat trick for getting *really* long hair into pigtails/ponytails. I really forget what I have on there sometimes..... >.> It definitely works on real hair too-- I had showed a friend who needed to get her butt-length hair into Miaka odangos.... and without tearing out half her hair in the process... It's on my website, but I'll copy/paste here it anyway:

The Rubber-band trick: However, I did learn a little trick for putting up long hair... (Long hair won't cooperate when trying to put it up in a rubberband.) First, take a bobby pin and hook a hairband through the prongs. Then make anoher loop between the prongs to anchor the band on the bobby pin. DO NOT PUT THE HAIR THROUGH THE HAIRBAND! With one hand holding the hair up in the ponytail, wrap the hairband/bobby pin around the base of the hair like a ribbon, "threading" the whole bobby pin through the loop of the hairband, kinda like threading a needle, except the bobby pin is the "thread" and the end of the hairband is the "needle". Once you pull the bobby pin through the loop, it should pull tight like a slipknot. Then you need to pull it in the opposite direction to tighten it, wrapping the rest of the hairband around the base 'til the end and then clip the bobby pin in the hair so you can't see it.

I hope that makes sense... I really need to work up step-by-step photos for that one...

Lunaya
09-17-2003, 05:18 PM
hmm there is a material wich is kinda like foam that you can cut in circles for the red pieces. It comes in all sorts of colors and it's like $1.00 per sheet. I'll try to find a link ^__^

TsukiGuujin
09-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Okay.
The button idea sounds easier now.
For some reason, I was confused.
Hee, stupid moment! ^^;

And I know...wigs suck.
For 28 fricking bucks, I should get more hair, damnit!
Even DOWN, the hair is REALLY thin. I canít believe it. Really.

I read that rubberband trick on your site last night! ^^;
I think it will make more sense with some pics. Just reading it doesnít make much sense to me...I donít learn well from reading, you see. ^^;

And Lunaya, thatís great!
I can do that next time...Iíve only got a day and a half to finish all the stuff for NDK. *dies*

~~Tsuki~~

Lunaya
09-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Here is alink of a monkey door hanger that has the kind of foam I'm talking about :P http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=k00049&categoryid=

Hmm about the netting if you have some pieces of extenrions left you can use that to cover most of the netting ^___^

megumibish
09-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Hey Tsuki..
for putting a wig into pigtails you traditionally have to add loose hair directly to the center part. That or do a zig zag part and pull the sides of the wig so that it camoflages the netting. This will make the wig base fit tighter than normal since you are pulling the extra to opposing sides. This works considerably well. Just make sure you have a tail comb or chopstick to part the hair easier. Oh yeah here's a loverly thread link to wig pigtails how to http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=243395#post243395

TsukiGuujin
09-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Whee!
Thanks, megumibish!

I hope to have pics of my full costume up next week. I actually did get compliments on my wig! WHEEEEEEEEE!
(even though it sucks. XD)

~~Tsuki~~

Fťnicia
09-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I've used the hair from a long-haired wig to make the buns.
Before I started I pinned down the cap of the wig to a foam wigbase. Then I made 2 pigtails and left a part for the frontpart, that I cut to length. I've attachted 2 open-uped extentions to eacht tail, the I curled up to tail to a nice bun and pinned it to itself. For extra support I've gluegunned the extentions and the buns to the base of the wig.

Some pics: the first one (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=82028&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1), the second one (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=82030&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

*Jibrielle*
10-05-2003, 10:15 AM
I found the perfect yellow wig today!!!! I'm gonna go buy it today!!!! :p

Kaori-chan
10-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Wig netting is THE EVIL!

*Jibrielle*
10-06-2003, 02:09 PM
AHHH I MADE THE PONYTAILS BUT THE NETTING SHOWS IN THE BACK!!! :bigcry:

Kaori-chan
10-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Yeeeup. What do you say we get together and storm the home of whoever first thought to make wigs so that the netting shows if you try to re-style it in the slightest way? I guess I'll have to try that method of putting lots of extensions in there, but I do NOT have that kind of time. Plus my mom wants to take me driving this weekend and I was planning on having my friend over to help style my wig. I'M DOOMED! DOOMED, I TELL YOU! *Curls up on the ground and cries*

*Jibrielle*
10-06-2003, 08:13 PM
* Curls with Kaori * WAAAAAAAAAAAH

Anyone have any methods??!!!

Kaori-chan
10-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Someone posted a link to a method a little ways up on this thread, and people seem to be really happy with it, but I have till Halloween on a marching band schedule to do it in. Not fun. But yeah. If you want a good job, you should probably go with that method.

*Jibrielle*
10-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm reading the thread ^__^

Kaori-chan
10-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Whee! I hope your wig ends up looking great! (^.^)

*Jibrielle*
10-06-2003, 08:28 PM
I hope yours does too!!! ^__^

Kaori-chan
10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Yay! Thank you (^.^)

TsukiGuujin
10-07-2003, 02:37 PM
>>What do you say we get together and storm the home of whoever first thought to make wigs so that the netting shows if you try to re-style it in the slightest way?

I'm going too!!!

You know what I did with my wig?

Instead of separating all of it into pigtails, I left some in the back covering the netting, and cut it at the neckline, so that it hangs over the netting and you can't see it so much. It's not ideal, but at least my stupid Duo-colored hair wasn't showing through it as much!

We also used blonde spray stuff in my hair, once my hair was under the wig cap, so it was a bit less noticeable. ^____^

~~Tsuki~~

*Jibrielle*
10-07-2003, 03:06 PM
That's a good Idea!!! ^___^

Do you have any pictures of your costume ?

TsukiGuujin
10-07-2003, 04:25 PM
No, I won't have any until this weekend when the pics get developed. X_x;

But the idea really did work pretty good. It was Kasandra's idea. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

Kaori-chan
10-07-2003, 07:02 PM
>>I'm going too!!!

Woot!

>>We also used blonde spray stuff in my hair, once my hair was under the wig cap, so it was a bit less noticeable. ^____^

I was thinking about doing that too. But where can you get platinum blonde hair spray? (>.>)

*Sigh* Maybe I can bring my wig to Largo for the band competition and style it while the other bands are performing. Or something. (o.O);

TsukiGuujin
10-08-2003, 02:08 PM
>>I was thinking about doing that too. But where can you get platinum blonde hair spray?

Well, what we got was more GOLD than blonde, but under the wig it didn't make a difference. Check costume stores (not the shitty seasonal places...the places that are open all year are better) and try to find spray with a cap that matches you wig color as close as you can.

And I didn't WANT to be platinum blonde. I'd have rather had cartoon yellow, but I couldn't afford to. Just for the record. ^^

Good Luck!

~~Tsuki~~

Kaori-chan
10-09-2003, 08:32 PM
>>Well, what we got was more GOLD than blonde, but under the wig it didn't make a difference. Check costume stores (not the shitty seasonal places...the places that are open all year are better) and try to find spray with a cap that matches you wig color as close as you can.

I can try that, but the people at those costume places (at least the ones I've been to) tend to know jack squat about this kinda stuff. They said the wig I bought couldn't be heat-styled, and right on the tag it said that if restyling was desired, to use curlers and *LOW* heat. I can always get a flesh-colored wig cap or something, if they make ones that are more opaque. I wouldn't know since I've never seen one. (>.<) Then it wouldn't look like my hair under the wig, just skin. Better than looking like I had dyed hair that was starting to grow out, or dark-ish hair under a light wig. Cosplay is STRESSFULL!!!! I literally have about two days to finish my costume, AND help my friend finish hers. This Sunday, and next Sunday. Thank GOODNESS my expert seamstress grandmother is helping us so much with making them. Otherwise I'd be doomed. (x.X)

*Jibrielle*
10-11-2003, 10:35 AM
WOOOHOOO I'm going to buy my extensions today to cover the netting
:jjacks: lalalalala

Kaori-chan
10-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Yay! Go you (^.^)

I had an interesting wig experience today. I find you that Kanekalon (or however you spell that) is very versatile when it comes to heat styling! Not only did I find extensions of the exact same fiber and color as my wig, but I found out that with a blowdryer and comb they could be smoothed to match the texture perfectly!

Ok, could someone PLEASE explain how the method of putting extensions into wigs is supposed to look? I tried, and the all the needles had eyes that were too small, and nothing else worked. I've tried everything from a latch-hook thingy to a crochet hook and NOTHING works. HEEEEELP!

*Jibrielle*
10-13-2003, 03:19 PM
I think I'm going to glue them....

Kaori-chan
10-13-2003, 08:28 PM
That might work.... *huggles hot glue gun* This thing has saved my bum from cosplay disaster before, maybe it will for the wig too ^^;

megumibish
10-13-2003, 08:45 PM
some peeps use heat sealers and or a curling iron you can sacrifice to the kanekalon gods. another way is to just take the hair and sew tiny groups of hair into the wig. just loop the hair and then sew it tightly to the base. another thing is you can opt to make your own weft if you have patience and a sewing machine. but this is a long process as i've heard.

Kaori-chan
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
I don't know how to heat-seal, and I already pretty much destroyed my grandmother's crappy curling iron cause of the piece of junk disgrace of a wig I was stuck with for Metrocon, but it's mainly bits of pink plastic melted to the iron part. And I LOVE Kanekalon. I think I'll only use that in wigs from now on, I like it that much.

TsukiGuujin
10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Kaori-chan do you have pics of yours yet?
I haven't seen anyone's pics. *wants them*

I guess I don't really have a whole lot to say this time...someone at NDK gave us a good tip for heat styling wigs, though!

For bangs that look great, use a turned-off curling iron and wrap the bangs up around it. Then use a blow dryer on low heat, instead of turniing on the curling iron! ^^

Whee.
I'm bored.

~~Tsuki~~

megumibish
10-14-2003, 09:28 PM
When I put bangs into my black wig I used large foam rollers. 1 in the center and 1 on each side. then blowdry. It works very well I gotta say. ^_^

kyandi-chan
10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
If anyone has or hasnt mentioned this...and you have a heap of munny one day...www.fifi-mahony.com makes a cute sailor moon wig...for $150 bucks! eek

KaraokeKate
10-15-2003, 07:01 PM
If anyone has or hasnt mentioned this...and you have a heap of munny one day...www.fifi-mahony.com makes a cute sailor moon wig...for $150 bucks! eek

The truly "Eek" part is that even for $150, the back of it is done *completely* wrong. >,<

Since I only charge $13 more, and the back is accurate, it kinda makes me wonder what they're charging so much for? o_0'

SailorMo
10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
The truly "Eek" part is that even for $150, the back of it is done *completely* wrong. >,<

Since I only charge $13 more, and the back is accurate, it kinda makes me wonder what they're charging so much for? o_0'

Well, I wouldn't say it's outright *wrong*. I have that wig and it's not that bad, even without the back part. Overpriced, yes, but to me, the odangos look better-- more like the "buns" in the manga. And I actually got some compliments on it at this past Otakon. ^_^;;

All they did was leave a tuft of hair from the crown free while they put the rest up in *actual* pigtails. The extra tuft is combed over the back to cover all the netting that shows. The "look" is no different than taking a short wig and physically attaching the pigtails to that, without any parts, which I've seen too-- I think Dark Muffin did hers that way? In any case, it's still styled neat and clean, and most of all, *fits*.

Granted, I would prefer one with an actual part, but 2 years ago when I got it, it was a choice between that, one that was horrid, or nothing at all. Plus I didn't have the option of looking to this board for help. It didn't EXIST.

No, I'm not completely happy with it, but it does the trick for now. One of these days I'll attempt to make my own and try out that acrylic paint dyeing technique. ^_^

KaraokeKate
10-15-2003, 08:12 PM
What I meant by "wrong" is "innaccurate". If I'm gonna shell out $150 for an Usagi wig, then gosh-darnit I want it to be so accurate that it makes me klutzier just by putting it on! >,<'

*Jibrielle*
10-15-2003, 08:18 PM
What I meant by "wrong" is "innaccurate". If I'm gonna shell out $150 for an Usagi wig, then gosh-darnit I want it to be so accurate that it makes me klutzier just by putting it on! >,<'

I agree... If I'm going to pay $150 for a wig it must be perfect...

TsukiGuujin
10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
>>Since I only charge $13 more, and the back is accurate, it kinda makes me wonder what they're charging so much for? o_0'

I think people who pay that much money for wigs are crazy. And must have money to burn. $150 is more than I'm usually willing to spend on a COSTUME, let alone a wig. I can't imagine that. It must be very nice to have that much money to throw away.

>>Overpriced, yes, but to me, the odangos look better-- more like the "buns" in the manga. And I actually got some compliments on it at this past Otakon.

Hee, you're crazy, like I said.
I think I'd rather spend $40 on a good yellow wig and drive myself nuts styling it. But that really is just me, don't think I'm being snotty, please! ^^;

>>If I'm gonna shell out $150 for an Usagi wig, then gosh-darnit I want it to be so accurate that it makes me klutzier just by putting it on! >,<'

I agree.
But I still would never. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

KaraokeKate
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Hee, you're crazy, like I said.
I think I'd rather spend $40 on a good yellow wig and drive myself nuts styling it. But that really is just me, don't think I'm being snotty, please! ^^;

~~Tsuki~~

See, that's the beauty of it though. Someone buys the "good yellow wig", the extensions, and the foamcore for $82, then the additional charge is for *me* to drive myself nuts. ^_^

It's kinda like, yeah, you could go and buy the parts at Pep Boys to fix your own car. But then you need to also jack the car up, have the right tools, and most importantly, time to kill. Or you could pay the mechanic to do it for you, since that's his job, and he already has all the right tools and equipment.

Some characters have hair easy enough to style that you can probably do them yourself with minimum hassle. (Like changing a tire.) And then SOME wigs are just a little too advanced for the beginner. (Like changing a timing belt.)

So you're not paying $150 for a *just* a wig. You're also paying for someone else's time to make it for you. ~_^

TsukiGuujin
10-16-2003, 04:05 PM
>>So you're not paying $150 for a *just* a wig. You're also paying for someone else's time to make it for you. ~_^

I understand that philosophy. But I don't agree with you. I think I feel much better in my crappy Halloween wig with bad odango that I made myself than I ever would in an expensive wig that someone else made for me! $150 is too much to spend on ONE WIG.

We spent around $300 at our last con on costumes. But at least half of that cost wasn't for one wig alone! I just....eesh.

~~Tsuki~~

Chantť
10-16-2003, 05:00 PM
I would rather look good ^^ *can't style wigs to save her life*

KaraokeKate
10-16-2003, 05:24 PM
>>So you're not paying $150 for a *just* a wig. You're also paying for someone else's time to make it for you. ~_^

I understand that philosophy. But I don't agree with you. I think I feel much better in my crappy Halloween wig with bad odango that I made myself than I ever would in an expensive wig that someone else made for me! $150 is too much to spend on ONE WIG.

We spent around $300 at our last con on costumes. But at least half of that cost wasn't for one wig alone! I just....eesh.

~~Tsuki~~

Yay! I'm a Leo too! (I just read your profile...)

I agree that spending half of the total amount of a costume on the wig can be silly. But you've got to keep in mind that people only have me make their wigs because they aren't confident they can do them themselves. I try to help teach fellow cosplayers about wigcraft, which is why I post tutorials on my site and offer tips in the forums.

Ironically enough, we're coming from the same school of thought here, just on the two major halves of a costume. Is there "too much" to spend on the costume itself in comparison to the wig? If you have a $10 wig, should you commission a costume for $350? Is the seamstress more worthy than the wigmaker? Both are craftspersons and artists, both are creating a custom piece for you, both are charging you for time and materials. So is the body of the character more important than the head? Especially with Sailor Moon, whose *signature* feature is her odangos, people tend to see your head before the rest of the costume. A bad wig could *ruin* a great costume.

I'm all for "do it yourself" when it comes to saving money in cosplay, but I recognize that there are some aspects that I'm not as good with as other costumers. (Like pleats.... don't even get me started on pleats...) So even though I know I could make Serenity-hime's hair perfectly, I would still consider paying someone else to make the gown. Based on the quality and detail of their work, this might cost over $700, but I'd be confident in knowing that it was money well spent on an expertly crafted piece of art.

Commissioning work from other people isn't cosplay-snobbery, or laziness, or throwing money away. It's just having the humility to understand that not everyone can do everything well, and some of us like to look the best we can for those 4000 photographs. ^_^

Spooky Brew
10-16-2003, 07:40 PM
I of course, agree with Katie. Cosplay in general, is about the look of the costume, the charatcer you are potraying. The most important things I look at is details. There is the costume itself, but the details tend to make or break a good costume. Details are what people look for. Why do you think Lord Masamune Sephy is so damn amazing? It's the details! The perfect wig, the perfect sword....so on and so forth. And he spent a whole lot of money on that, which in my opinion, wasn't thrown away. He made a amazing costume, that so far, not even the Japanese cosplayers could beat in my book. I'd like to do a Ryoko costume, and the one thing I'm looking at it to make it look right, the wig. Her hair is insane, and I don't think I could ever do something like that and to make it right, which is why I'm of course waiting (Okay...semi-waiting) to start something like that. It's the hair (detail) that makes a kicks ass Ryoko costume. Just check out the memeber Dia. Her Ryoko hair is amazing, that made her costume man. So for me, I'd want to look good for pictures, even if it costs me a bunch of money to do so.

KaraokeKate
10-17-2003, 03:55 AM
I know there's threads on this up already, but I thought I'd make this a little easier on everyone and just post the link to the tutorial on my site. This is the method I use to part the back for all my "ponytailed" wigs.

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html

The reason cheap wigs don't have a full scalp is just that: they're cheap. There are wigs with full scalps, but they cost around $200-$600 dollars. These are the types of wigs that are purchased by cancer patients, or bald people. They're meant to look as much like a full head of hair as possible.

So the "reason" that they make wefted wigs (the kind where you can see the meshing if you pull them up) is so that we can afford them. ^_^

*Jibrielle*
10-17-2003, 12:30 PM
That link rocks... ^__^

Gunny
10-17-2003, 05:16 PM
I have to reply to this because I recently shelled out $163 for Katie to drive herself insane making my Serenity-Hime wig. I don't have it yet and I won't until June/July. As expensive as it is, I don't mind shelling out that much. I know I'll have a high quality wig to go with the costume and I know I'm all thumbs with wigs. Seriously people, it takes me 35min to get a freaking wig cap on right (mostly because my hair is down to the small of my back).

I'm making up for the cost of the wig though. I eBay'd off some statues that were just sitting around and collecting dust. So my wig is $13 shy of being paid off (to myself) and that's no big deal. I'm not saying people should sell off their stuff in order to afford other things though (however the end of con season is the best time for people like me to buy costumes and stuff that cosplayers are having to sell to afford making next year's costume or to just clean out their cosplay closet). Normally I would have just saved up for it, but after seeing how quickly she booked up until March within a matter of weeks... I had to make the plunge if I wanted to get my order in.

Okay, that's my two bits. Carry on.

Kaori-chan
10-20-2003, 09:05 PM
>>I understand that philosophy. But I don't agree with you. I think I feel much better in my crappy Halloween wig with bad odango that I made myself than I ever would in an expensive wig that someone else made for me! $150 is too much to spend on ONE WIG.

I can understand commissioning, but if you doh't try to make things, how will you get better? I'd feel much better walking around in a wig I made myself than one I commissioned. Not to mention that I just don't plain HAVE that kind of money. Shelling out $40 for a wig that I'm going to style is an exciting thing for me, cause my funds actually have reached into the double digits.

>>I'm all for "do it yourself" when it comes to saving money in cosplay, but I recognize that there are some aspects that I'm not as good with as other costumers. (Like pleats.... don't even get me started on pleats...)

It seems you and I are opposites. :p I can't style wigs worth crap (not yet anyway, trust me I'm planning on learning ASAP, but things like that require experience, which means buying wigs), but I literally picked up an iron and made almost perfect pleats when my grandmother said they couldn't be done. Even if it was just to prove it could be done, it was enough to have her make me do alot of the pleating on my current costume. XD And please, I'm not saying this to brag, or boast or anything, just explaining that certain people ARE talented in different ways. That's why I like cosplaying with my friend so much. Our talents are such that we make a really good team for making costumes. And cosplaing with friends is just plain the best.

newmyu
10-20-2003, 10:50 PM
-.-; The tutorial gets posted JUST AFTER I give up and get rid of the wig I totally destroyed trying to put it in pigtails for the odango. ;.; Dangit! ;.; Now I'm rushing around for Halloween.. *sigh*

TsukiGuujin
11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
I promised these pics a loooooooong time ago, so....

Usagi (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=92850&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)
Sailor Moon (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=92826&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2)

There are more photos in my gallery of my costume, and of my fiance as Tuxedo Kamen and Kasandra as Sailor Mars. Wheeeee.

I know the wig isn't great, but I'm still so damned proud of it. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

*Jibrielle*
11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Those are sooo cute!!

PS--> Your avie rocks!!!

TsukiGuujin
11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Awwww, you really think so? It is the best I could do with that crap wig....

And thanks! ^___^ I really like my new avatar.

~~Tsuki~~

*Jibrielle*
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
you welcome!!!

ARRRRG!! (Beats wig with a stick) Ok old plans out!!!! New plans: I'm buying a shorter wig....
and I'm using the long one (pics in my gallery) for venus ^_^

SailorMo
11-04-2003, 05:32 PM
AWWWW..... you look so cute, Tsuki!

*still envious of your Tuxedo Kamen* ^_^;;

Stephanie
11-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Nevermind.

newmyu
11-07-2003, 05:30 AM
I _still_ want to try and make my own first, and now that Katie's got her tutorial up, I may just try it when I get the extra $$ floating around. ^^; It all depends upon how things in that department go.. o.o;

If that still doesn't pan out... well... I guess THEN I'll order one of Katie's wigs.. ^^ I just can't not try though. ^_^ I enjoy doing things like this myself (or trying to) first.. :) I have to agree though, Katie's wigs _are_ gorgeous. XD

Fťnicia
11-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Here (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=89493&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) is another picture of me as Sailor Moon, you can see the full lenght of the tails in this one. ;-)

Ami Yuy
03-15-2004, 03:31 AM
Oi, sorry to bring up an old thread, but someone mentioned needing a Chibi-Usa/Sailor Chibi Moon wig waaaay up in the beginning.

http://www.halloweenmart.com/cgi-bin/HWNstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=FU8582-PK-W

I know it says Out of Stock, but I'm sure it's availible somewhere. Lol, and I don't have any idea how to add on stuffs though. ^^;; The ideas mentioned earlier on will probably work.

*Jibrielle*
03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Oi, sorry to bring up an old thread, but someone mentioned needing a Chibi-Usa/Sailor Chibi Moon wig waaaay up in the beginning.

http://www.halloweenmart.com/cgi-bin/HWNstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=FU8582-PK-W

I know it says Out of Stock, but I'm sure it's availible somewhere. Lol, and I don't have any idea how to add on stuffs though. ^^;; The ideas mentioned earlier on will probably work.

That's a great wig! All you need to add is the pointy-odangos...if you want ^_^ :jjacks:

Berry Ella
03-19-2004, 07:06 PM
I FORRBID you to buy that wig!!!! I have bought it and it is TERRIBLE!!!! it does not fit a normal size head, it is very short in the back, the bangs look teribble, and it is a very cheap plasticy wig. I beg you to never buy this wig!

anyways... I am getting my serenity wig from borderless-inspiration.com
I have heard nothing but good things about them. Although they are kinda of slow replying to emails. I should get mine this week. I'll post again when I get it. I think Beverly Aliss got her newest wig from there, so you could ask her.

*Jibrielle*
03-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I FORRBID you to buy that wig!!!! I have bought it and it is TERRIBLE!!!! it does not fit a normal size head, it is very short in the back, the bangs look teribble, and it is a very cheap plasticy wig. I beg you to never buy this wig!

anyways... I am getting my serenity wig from borderless-inspiration.com
I have heard nothing but good things about them. Although they are kinda of slow replying to emails. I should get mine this week. I'll post again when I get it. I think Beverly Aliss got her newest wig from there, so you could ask her.

THANK YOU~!!! For telling us :jjacks: ^__^

Ami Yuy
03-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, thanks for the info. ^_^ I only saw it on there when I was searching for cheap wigs for my boyfriend, but I've never bought one from them. Lol, thanks for letting us know!

Berry Ella
03-20-2004, 06:36 PM
your very welcome! *does little dance* I helps out yay!

GingerWolf
03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
i'm growing out my hair and dying it blonde..lol i'm going to try that one link on how to do you hair up like usagi's...lol

Maki
03-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered, but does anyone have any tips for adding extensions? I was thinking of starting with the enchantment wig at amphigory, but then I read that it was much harder to style the already long wigs. So I thought I'd use the femme fatale, but i'm not sure how to add extensions at all --v I'm really afraid that they'd come out looking disjointed, ie really obvious that they're extensions. Anyone have any tips for doing them well, and the best adhesive?

~Maki

Marsfireball03
03-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Hello I was reading your forum and want to reply to your cry for help. I am apart of a Sailor Senshi Cosplay group and know of a few sites that can help you out. First of all try Imperiummoon.com. Or you can try this other one by typing in the search engine "Katie Bair's Petting Zoo" (its a cosplay wig shop). Both of these places sell and make sailor moon wigs as well as your serenity wig! Now I am going to tell you that Katie is booked through September because of Otakon 2004! But if you do not need it before than, your best bet is to go through her! Good Luck! ^_^

senshi_meiousei
03-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Hello I was reading your forum and want to reply to your cry for help. I am apart of a Sailor Senshi Cosplay group and know of a few sites that can help you out. First of all try Imperiummoon.com. Or you can try this other one by typing in the search engine "Katie Bair's Petting Zoo" (its a cosplay wig shop). Both of these places sell and make sailor moon wigs as well as your serenity wig! Now I am going to tell you that Katie is booked through September because of Otakon 2004! But if you do not need it before than, your best bet is to go through her! Good Luck! ^_^

*blinks* Chrissy???? My Rei-chan???????

Maki
03-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Katie Bair's site is now blocked until November, with only one slot left there (last I checked). I had found beautiful seramyu style wigs at Imperium moon which was perfect since thats the style I'm cosplaying, but unfortunately the site dissapeared =P

wardmk
03-24-2004, 03:09 PM
I'd go with the short one first but if that doesn't work out you can just use your own hair doesn't matter what color you'll still be beautiful

*Jibrielle*
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Maki: NOOO Don't start with a long wig!!

<---made that mistake

Start with a short one, use foam balls for the odangos, cover them with hair, and make a little hole in the middle and put the extensions there. That is what I am going to do ^_^

TsukiGuujin
03-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Starting with a long wig *can* be done, but it generally creates a mess of netting in the back. XP
Next time, I think I'm going to try to do the same as Jibrielle. There are pics of my wig in my gallery. Remember, though, all I had to work with was a $15 Halloween wig, due to my nonexistent budget.

~~Tsuki~~

Maki
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys ^^ I'll probably start with Amphigory's Femme Fatale then. Jibrielle, where are you getting your extensions?

*Jibrielle*
03-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Probably Dr.Locks since they have really good extensions in all colors ^__^

EternalxUsagi
04-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Well for the Odango decorations you could always just use a huge button for each side. If you can't find one with the red color you could just paint it red in the center. Dammit I wan't to make a sailor moon wig but considering I"m making Iori Yagami's costume it's sorta pointless. My own hair will just have to suffice for now...(megumi whose in a crazed odango mood) heheh Tsuki your wig looks cute to me. I think you did a good job with what you had. ^_^

I am going to have to make a Sailor Moon wig, also. The wig is daunting.
:rolleyes:
But you have good ideas! So I roll the hair around the foam ball for the odango? And where would I get hair extensions in the same color to match the wig I get?

EternalxUsagi
04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
i'm growing out my hair and dying it blonde..lol i'm going to try that one link on how to do you hair up like usagi's...lol

I tried to grow my hair out in time for the Otakon this summer. :p
I have been doing the link you speak of for a long time. Let me tell you from experience, it doesn't come out the way you think. You have to pull the odango tightly, and when you do that.. it looks more ball shaped but much smaller. I have just had to deal with it and wrap the rest of my hair around the odango, or let it fall loose. I have my hair down to the middle of my back and it still looks like this (http://www.laurenville.com/lj_dumplinghead1.gif) (Such little hair coming out)
Your hair has to be mighty long for it to get anywhere near Usagi's pontytail lengths.
But, just a suggestion. :cool:
Good luck, though!

TsukiGuujin
04-13-2004, 04:59 PM
EternalxUsagi, you are SO right. That knot thing only sorta works.
That's how I did my wig, however. Yeah, the odango are itty bitty, but you can see them in pictures. I'm getting someone to style my wig for my wedding, thank god. X_x;

~~Tsuki~~

senshi_meiousei
04-13-2004, 05:32 PM
The guide for doing my odangos with my own hair works perfectly for my hair. Maybe if you have thinner hair like mine, it slides easier. Don't know, but they come out all round and nice ^_^. Look even better now that I have my 34" extensions added to my hair that is already right below my shoulders. I'll have to take a picture once my digital camera comes in the mail.

EternalxUsagi
04-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Setsuna, did you use the same guide I was talking about?
My hair is thick (there is a lot of it) but it's thin in texture, very silky. Or is there another way you're doing it?

My friends think the way I do it is cute, but for a more authentic look. I'm open to suggestions.

senshi_meiousei
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
The page titled "Do It Yourself Odangos" (http://www.iwaynet.net/~sos/odango/odango.html) is what I use. Again, I think it works for me because I have extremely thin hair (not like, balding thin but very thin and fine). Because of this, the ponytail I start with isn't very thick, so when the odango is tied, it's easier to work with and easier to pull through.

The hard part for me is trying to do odangos every day with about 52" if hair now (getting used to it though! Always wanted really long hair).

GingerWolf
04-13-2004, 09:46 PM
i MISS my long hair >_<.... the do it yourself page that Setsuna is speaking of worked really well for me...but my hair is in layers at the moment so it was a little messy... that and it was SUPER short lol...my hair is shoulder length..i don't have thick hair i just have lots of thin hair if that makes sense. I really hope my folks get these two jobs *hopes and wishes* b/c then i can go to move cons than just one a yr *twiches* this yr i will be attending two....maybe >_<....I really wish i had never cut off my hair...it was almost to my rear end >_< *bangs head into wall* why was i soo stupid?!?!?

senshi_meiousei
04-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, if you can save up enough money, get hair extensions like I did. Instant long hair! I love it ^_^

livvylove
04-15-2004, 04:38 PM
When i use to have hair down to my waist I would do my hair like sailor moon during the summer. I used that odango guide for it. Also when i did my cousins hair like sailor moon I ended up wrapping half of the ponytail around the longer peice and then when you pic a hair tie around it, it ends up looking like a ball. So maybe doing that with a longer wig would work?

LadyAmaryllis
04-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Here's a new wrench to throw into the discussion. I'm planning on doing a Black Lady from Sailor Moon for Anime Expo this year....how on earth should I do that wig?

I thought the Lulu wig from Amphigory would be a good start, but you all seem to like the Femme Fatale. Is that simply a color issue, or is the shoulder-length style a better starting base than the Lulu shape?

Next, I thought I would buy little foam triangles instead of odangos to get the more conical shape of her hair, and then wrap/pin/somehow attach extensions to those to form the cone-shaped odango. Then maybe more extensions attached to the odango to create the ponytail.

I think i could make all of that work, but I'm not sure where to find extensions that are long enough. The ones I've seen on Ebay (pink is a hard color to find) aren't even close to her length. Should I buy white ones that DO have the correct length and then somehow paint them? I know you guys have mentioned that - just spraypaint? Hmm...please help ^_^

*Jibrielle*
04-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Here's a new wrench to throw into the discussion. I'm planning on doing a Black Lady from Sailor Moon for Anime Expo this year....how on earth should I do that wig?

I thought the Lulu wig from Amphigory would be a good start, but you all seem to like the Femme Fatale. Is that simply a color issue, or is the shoulder-length style a better starting base than the Lulu shape?

Next, I thought I would buy little foam triangles instead of odangos to get the more conical shape of her hair, and then wrap/pin/somehow attach extensions to those to form the cone-shaped odango. Then maybe more extensions attached to the odango to create the ponytail.

I think i could make all of that work, but I'm not sure where to find extensions that are long enough. The ones I've seen on Ebay (pink is a hard color to find) aren't even close to her length. Should I buy white ones that DO have the correct length and then somehow paint them? I know you guys have mentioned that - just spraypaint? Hmm...please help ^_^

you can try dr locks ^_^

TsukiGuujin
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
The knot thing, I've noticed, works much better on real hair than it does on wigs. DO NOT TRY IT WITH A WIG or you will have a back full of netting, and I am SO serious about that. XP

As for Black Lady, if you do the white thing, start with a white wig. That way, you can color all of it at once.
There is a method of using crepe paper to lightly tint wig hair, that I know of, but it would be pretty pale pink, and not bright pink.
If that's all you can get, then I say go for it. ^___^

~~Tsuki~~

LadyAmaryllis
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks, guys ^_^ I looked around on all of the websites and I think I settled on the Femme Fatale from Amphigory and then four extensions from Dr Locks. So here's my new question - do you know if the colors from Dr Locks and Amphigory are going to match (if I get Perky from Amphigory and Light Pink from Dr Locks)? On Katie Bair's site she has a little chart that compares the colors, and she seems to imply that they're all the same. I'm a little scared to buy everything in pink from different sites if they aren't going to match. Should I chance it, or buy everything in white and then dye it?

Niku-Sama
04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
just a word of warning... loose extentions are very hard to dye >_<

ps - Katie Bairs color chart is very accurate I have used it ^_^

Sweet~Pea
04-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure if this wig has been mentioned or not because I haven't gone through the entire thread but I thought I'd post a link just in case. I just found it in my wig hunting travels. that's all http://www.internationalwig.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LC_SailorMoon&Category_Code=

Cheers
-Christa

LadyAmaryllis
04-20-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure if this wig has been mentioned or not because I haven't gone through the entire thread but I thought I'd post a link just in case. I just found it in my wig hunting travels. that's all http://www.internationalwig.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LC_SailorMoon&Category_Code=

Yeah, that one is pretty cute...I'm not sure if it has the odangos though..you can't really tell from the picture. Also you can't see what the back looks like, and that seems to me a common point of error on SM wigs. But it doesn't really matter for me anyway because they don't offer it in pink. Besides, I think it would be fun to try to put my own wig together.

As for the extensions, I was planning on caulking them together onto a strip like Katie Bair said before dyeing them. But hopefully, the color color chart will be correct and my extensions and wig will match.
Ooh, I hope I can do all of this! How exciting.

Thanks for your help everyone!

felicity869
04-20-2004, 06:44 PM
I only scanned through the thread quickly so I could be wrong but it looks like no one has mentioned theses wigs yet:
http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Lacey/4189.php
http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Lacey/1330.php#
I don't know about their quality since I've never bought either of them and they don't seem to have the odangos. Sorry if it was already brought up and I missed it.

Ami Yuy
04-21-2004, 02:45 AM

Hey Court-chan!

*nods* You saw my Eowyn wig, I bought it from them and absolutely love it. It's a high quality showgirl and I got it for a great price. However, I agree that it's probably going to be an issue that there aren't odangos and the back. Not to mention, yeah not having pink is a problem. ^_^

Ryoko-Dono
05-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Okay, I've read through the entire thread but I'm kind of dumb, let me see if I can summarize the tips(feel free to correct me if I've got the wrong idea).

The idea is to buy a medium length wig, part it and wrap the hair around two styrafoam balls. Then, with extensions/loose hair somehow attach it under the odangos.

Is that the basic idea of it? Or am I totally off base?

megumibish
05-17-2004, 12:51 AM
What you wrote covers the gist of it. Although, I have a vague theory that involves a heat sealer and some wire. Off to ponder.

Ryoko-Dono
05-17-2004, 06:44 AM
What you wrote covers the gist of it. Although, I have a vague theory that involves a heat sealer and some wire. Off to ponder.
Ah. crap. ^^;;

I am so wig incompetent.

Ryoko-Dono
05-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Um, I know this is a terriblly newbie-ish question and it amy seem stupid. but for those who did the aforementioned way of using a short wig and adding on, what type of wig would work best?

I've tried cutting bangs into a wig before and failed miserablly so I was considering buying the Cleopatra wig from Amphigory. Does anyone know if this wig is a good choice for a base?

Also: Megumibish, do you recall what the heatsealer and wire is for? I'm not sure I have the money nor need to go and buy a heat sealer so I'm wondering what exactly its necesary for. And I assume you mean the wire to help secure the styrafoam to the wig, right?

I am so totally hopeless... *bangs head against desk*

megumibish
05-18-2004, 03:33 AM
I have yet to try making odangos with a wig, but I kinda have a basic idea on how to do them. Unfortunately a heatsealer would be a requirement for the type of drastic wig surgery I'm thinking of. And yes the wire would be used to hold the styrofoam. From the earlier pages of this thread I recll Katie bair saying that the femme fatale wig was a really good base wig since it has a thicker top, but I think the Cleopatra wig should work well if you add enough hair to the center.

Tainted-Embrace
05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Reading this 13 page thread has gotten me even
more stressed then before.
Gin Gin bought me a Sailor Moon wig - for Graduation.
I think when she gives me it, I need to fix it up and what not.
But now I need to get a Usagi wig, for Serenity and plain Usagi.
And reading this thread, it's kinda hard what to put, when you have
people argueing XD and then people telling you one thing then the other.
;.; But I want to do Super Sailor Moon, and Princess Serenity for Otakon.
{ Got the Sm wig - from Gin Gin, or will get it- to fix it up a bit I think. }
Though I can't style for my life.
: (! I wish all the good people who make the wigs weren't booked.

Someone named "http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Lacey/1330.php#" But you can't see the back, an you would have to add your own odangos..x.x right?

: P Kayla needs a Usagi wig.
x.x Someone make me one Lol.

megumibish
05-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Hmm, I'm going to have to do a test on making odango's on an old funkified wig I own. It has been the test subject of many things so odangos should just be the next best thing to do. I'll have to buy a heat sealer first. >.<;;

Tainted-Embrace
05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Hmm, I'm going to have to do a test on making odango's on an old funkified wig I own. It has been the test subject of many things so odangos should just be the next best thing to do. I'll have to buy a heat sealer first. >.<;;

;.; Lucky you. I might just have to do it myself if I can't
Like get someone else to make it.
x.x' That will come out bad Lol.

Mystic Blossom
05-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I'll be making a Sailorcosmos wig soon, and I know it's the same basic principle as the Usagi wig, just with foam balls that are cut slgihtly to look like hearts. So far, everyone has been saying get a wig just long enough to wrap around foam balls for the odangos, then add extensions for the pigtails, and my question is this: what if you did the exact opposite? As in, buy a super long wig, part it into pigtails, then add the odangos as separate foam pieces wrapped in extensions to be attached on top of the pigtails? Would that work too? What about buying a super short wig and actually using extensions for everything? One for each odango, and one for each pigtial (in other words, four pieces of extension).

small_lady
05-21-2004, 04:16 PM
I'll be making a Sailorcosmos wig soon, and I know it's the same basic principle as the Usagi wig, just with foam balls that are cut slgihtly to look like hearts. So far, everyone has been saying get a wig just long enough to wrap around foam balls for the odangos, then add extensions for the pigtails, and my question is this: what if you did the exact opposite? As in, buy a super long wig, part it into pigtails, then add the odangos as separate foam pieces wrapped in extensions to be attached on top of the pigtails? Would that work too? What about buying a super short wig and actually using extensions for everything? One for each odango, and one for each pigtial (in other words, four pieces of extension).

That's sorta what I was thinking of doing for my black lady wig if my parents ever order my wigs ^.^ I think it might be easy with a shorter wig but I don't know....

Ryoko-Dono
05-21-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the reasoning was that shorter wigs are easier to work with. I think... I'm not too sure. ^^;;

Ami Yuy
05-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Okay.

From earlier on:

How LONG of a wig:
Maki: NOOO Don't start with a long wig!!

[I] made that mistake

Start with a short one, use foam balls for the odangos, cover them with hair, and make a little hole in the middle and put the extensions there. That is what I am going to do ^_^

Starting with a long wig *can* be done, but it generally creates a mess of netting in the back. XP

Thanks guys ^^ I'll probably start with Amphigory's Femme Fatale then. Jibrielle, where are you getting your extensions?

HOW to style it:
Probably Dr.Locks since they have really good extensions in all colors ^__^

How to attach extentions...
some peeps use heat sealers and or a curling iron you can sacrifice to the kanekalon gods. another way is to just take the hair and sew tiny groups of hair into the wig. just loop the hair and then sew it tightly to the base. another thing is you can opt to make your own weft if you have patience and a sewing machine. but this is a long process as i've heard.

I know there's threads on this up already, but I thought I'd make this a little easier on everyone and just post the link to the tutorial on my site. This is the method I use to part the back for all my "ponytailed" wigs.

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html

The reason cheap wigs don't have a full scalp is just that: they're cheap. There are wigs with full scalps, but they cost around $200-$600 dollars. These are the types of wigs that are purchased by cancer patients, or bald people. They're meant to look as much like a full head of hair as possible.

So the "reason" that they make wefted wigs (the kind where you can see the meshing if you pull them up) is so that we can afford them. ^_^

This seems to be the general consensus that was reached by everyone. If you want, read through everything, but it does get confusing- everyone says different things. ^^;;

Ryoko-Dono
05-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Okay.

From earlier on:

How LONG of a wig:

HOW to style it:

How to attach extentions...

This seems to be the general consensus that was reached by everyone. If you want, read through everything, but it does get confusing- everyone says different things. ^^;;

Thanks. I've read throught he thread, but it really helps to have it summed up nicely like that. ^^

LadyAmaryllis
05-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, way to go, Ami. that makes it a lot easier to understand. ^_^

And as for why to not start with a short wig, I think it's an accuracy thing. If you look at the back of the characters' heads, the hair in back is pulled up into the odango. If you start with a really short wig, you don't have that look. But if you don't mind that..*shruG* then go for it, I suppose ^_^

megumibish
05-26-2004, 03:08 AM
As I recall Katiebair uses the femme fatale from amphigory as a base wig for pigtails or the cleopatra. Don't hold me to that though. I just remember reading that. And it's basically just enough to put into pigtails. And then she adds to it via her wig parting technique.. Just don't try this with a very short bob or something along the lines of that.

Selphie_fairy
05-26-2004, 10:07 PM
sailor-moon made her wigs, well at least most of them I believe. She's been practicing the hairstyle since she was a pre-teen so it's kinda simple after five r six years ;P

I was going to suggest kaitie bair actually. It's up to you but the short wig with extensions is another good idea as well.

*Jibrielle*
05-27-2004, 04:37 PM
she has made all of her wigs, I just don't know how...I do know she starts with a short one....

sailor-moon
05-30-2004, 12:34 AM
sailor-moon made her wigs, well at least most of them I believe. She's been practicing the hairstyle since she was a pre-teen so it's kinda simple after five r six years ;P

MAD SIMPLE! XD

hahha...you know...iv come to the conclusion that using your natural hair is 5908604980948594 times easier and more comfy then wigs <.< seriously.. ::burns all her wigs:: >: D

*Jibrielle*
05-30-2004, 11:18 AM
nooooooooooooooooo don't burn them :bigcry:

I would use my real hair...but it's not that long...SOON it will! Muaahahaha :p :jjacks:

Ryoko-Dono
05-30-2004, 12:41 PM
MAD SIMPLE! XD

hahha...you know...iv come to the conclusion that using your natural hair is 5908604980948594 times easier and more comfy then wigs <.< seriously.. ::burns all her wigs:: >: D

Yeah, but even with hair thats past my shoulders I cant figure out how to do the nifty notty-thing. ^^;;

sailor-moon
05-31-2004, 10:24 PM
nooooooooooooooooo don't burn them :bigcry:

I would use my real hair...but it's not that long...SOON it will! Muaahahaha :p :jjacks:

lol, i wont burnt hem..but no ones ever going to see them again ^_~ unless i get lazy one day with my hair and bring them out XD

*.* not long enough? it looks long to me <.<

*Jibrielle*
05-31-2004, 10:52 PM
lol, i wont burnt hem..but no ones ever going to see them again ^_~ unless i get lazy one day with my hair and bring them out XD

*.* not long enough? it looks long to me <.<

=p, I guess it is... I should practice, so that when my hair gets very long I can use my real hair! ^_^

LadyAmaryllis
06-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Okay, another question, now that it's down to panic time and I'm starting on the wig (I did the rest of hte costume first cuz I'm terrified of this wig). I've got the extensions added to the part of the basic wig, by using Katie Bair's awesome Wig Parting tutorial. Now I'm on the odangos...and confused.

When we say "foam", are we talking about stryofoam or like, green upholstery foam? Which is better?

And how to you actually go about putting the hair on to the foam? Glue? Wire? Sewing? Pins? Most of the time people have just said, "And then I'll wrap it around the foam". But how do I make it stay permenently there?

Lastly, how do I attach my odango to the wig itself? I think someone said something about wire, and I think I can see how it would work. Gosh, I should have posted this sooner! I hope somebody responds before Anime Expo! Ach! *panics*

*Jibrielle*
06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm talking about foam balls, but I'm still :s on the: "how are they going to stay there" part. You can also try getting an extension and wrap it around...umm Sailor-Moon help! ;_;

Hotaru Tomoe
06-29-2004, 06:55 PM
If you want to use styrofoam balls as the odango base, please please use small/medium ones.. HUGE odango look weeeeird. ^^;

But yeah.. umm, just use extentions if you have to to cover them, use a hot glue gun, then either glue or pin them to the wig.

I had one of those OOLLLLLDDD SailorMoon dolls (the ones that came out in the US soon after the show aired here) and I desided to make her have odango hair for good. I used a hot glue gun and seperated her hair, and actually glued her hair into perminent odango style. heh ..it looked pretty good... Thing is though uhh, I don't know what I did with the doll once I got the newer ones... ^^;

megumibish
06-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Me, I'd use clear drying caulk to smooth the hair in place permanently as I wrap the foam balls.

LadyAmaryllis
06-29-2004, 10:27 PM
That's true, I could use clear caulk..I hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, I didn't mention extensions, but that's what I'm using. I also bought stryofoam, and you guys seem to think that stryofoam will work, so I guess I'll stick with that. So, either caulk or glue...hmm. I hope it doesn't end up too messy. Extensions aren't very forgiving *shakes fist at them*

As for attaching the odangos to the wig...I think I'm going to make some sort of device out of wire that will stick into the stryfoam, and then the wire will like, tie into the wig. Glue is a little to messy. Last resort, if my wire plan fails, will be pins. Can't go wrong with pins. Lol.

Thanks everybody! *blows kisses* I'll put up pictures when I finish (if it's presentable -_-)

Edit: My wig isn't Sailor Moon. It's Black Lady. If that changes anything. Just different shaped odangos.

senshi_meiousei
06-30-2004, 07:53 AM
You could also caulk the odangos to the wig. I know the bun to my Sailor Pluto wig is hair around a styrofoam ball, then the hair-covered ball is attached to the wig with caulk and one pin through the wig and into the middle of the styrofoam ball.

newmyu
06-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm gearing up to attempt my own Sailormoon/Usagi wig and I have one question I thought I'd add...

How exactly do you go about hiding the extensions/ponytails with the odango after you've made them, to make it look like the extensions are coming _out_ of the odango? I think I've figured out how to do the rest, but that part is stumping the heck out of me. o.O;

Mollish

LadyAmaryllis
07-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Wow, I REALLY wish Katie Bair had her tutorial for odangos up. :( I got really frustrated today and cut a bunch of the hair off in a fit of rage, and now I'm having a really hard time making it work. I think I can salvage it though. Here's my plan...don't be hating ><

I put the hair up into high ponytails (this is after adding extensions to the part), then I cut them down to about an inch. I take out the ponytail, seperate the hair into like, five different pieces, and "heat seal" (didn't buy a heat sealer, but a complicated process involving fabric glue and nail polish does the job XD) each of the ends. Then I sew/glue a piece of fabric to the ends, then I pile themon top of each other, where the odangos will eventually be, and then sew them all to the wig. Then I'm going to put a circle of fabric on top of that and sew it down so it hides all of extra sticking out hair.

I'll do that twice, once for each "under the odango" spot. These little lumps of fabric circles will be covered up with the odangos...

I'm going to wrap the odangos seperately with leftover hair on to the stryofoam (conical triangles with a flat bottom cut to look a little more like Black Lady's). Probably I'll use glue and caulk. Then, I'll put a circle of fabricon to the bottom of that, and then attach that to the circle on the wig that covers the "pile" (with fabric glue, since I'm now working with fabric instead of hair, which I'm much more familiar with).

I'll probably squish the ponytails for the extensions between the two fabric circles. Maybe. I'm still looking at photos and making my mind up about the ponytails.

I know I'm definitely making this too difficult, but I tried the whole "wrap the extra hair around the odangos" thing, and it wasn't working for me at all. WAY too much tangly, sticky hair, and I was going nuts. I need to work with fabric, not hair ;_;

Honestly, I don't think it will work..but we'll see. I hope I can save this wig >< I'll be so sad that I had to give up cosplaying Black Lady cuz I couldn't do her stupid wig.

Okay. so yeah. Lesson learned: Don't cut up wigs in fits of anger! Lol.

megumibish
07-01-2004, 05:15 AM
I have one wee bit of a suggestion. Overall I think this would work, but for as for the part of chopping of the ponytail I would go for inverting the ponytail for a smooth base.

LadyAmaryllis
07-01-2004, 02:02 PM
inverting? you mean putting it into the inside of the wig or something? o_0

megumibish
07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Yep, It's a bit more effort bu that would give you a clean base to start with.

LadyAmaryllis
07-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Yep, It's a bit more effort bu that would give you a clean base to start with.

Hmm, interesting. I've already done it this way, (sewed them on top) so we'll see how it looks. I can always flip them inside if it doesn't work.

Current progress: I've got the ends all cut and sewn together on the top, and I'm about to sew my little fabric circles onto them and onto the bottom of my extension-wrapped odangos, and then attach the odangos. I *think*..maybe..that it's going to work. Depends how badly of an issue the lumpiness is.

How exciting! I'm off to try and finish!

blonde usagi
07-08-2004, 07:36 PM
What I do is I use my real hair for usagis odangos and then I purchase extensions that are 30 inch long extensions (very expensive). But first I put my hair in pigtails then I get the extesions and twist a piece of it into the rubber band then I use one pen. Once I do that I rap my hair around it and it forms the perfect round odang while the extesions come under it i looks very natrual and you cant even tell that its extensions.

LadyAmaryllis
07-28-2004, 06:40 AM
I finished (kinda) my Black Lady wig! Let me give you a break down, and then you can go to the gallery to check out the images.

I bought Femme Fetalle from Amphigory and lots of extensions from Dr. Locks. They didn't match exactly, which was a bummer, but close enough. I used Katie Bair's wig parting tutorial and sewed in a bunch of the extensions into the back part. So far so good. I had a REALLY hard time pulling the wig into ponytails, and then figuring out what to do from there, since Katie didn't have her odango tutorial up yet (and I'm still not sure she does). I made my cone-shaped odangos (I used too much hair at once. I went to the Katie Bair Wig Tutorial at AX, and apparently you're supposed to just do thin little strands at a time and it will look better) by wrapping leftover hair from chopping off the ponytails onto the odangos and smoothing it on with clear adhesive caulk. Then (Katie says to cut a hole in the stryafoam, put it over your pigtail "stump", and caulk or glue or something the stump into the hole), since I didn't know what I was supposed to do at the time, I ended up sewing a patch of fabric over the pigtail stump, a patch of fabric under my odango, and placing the long extension for the ponytail inbetween and gluing them together with fabric glue, smushing the ponytail extension into place. Kinda. Both of the ponytails are falling out now, slowly, so I'm re-evaluating that plan. Lol. Super ghetto, but it more or less worked. I added more hair around the base of the odango to hide the "lump".

Cutting the bangs and curling some little curls in front were no problem. The bottom of the ponytails were a different story. I gave up trying to curl the bottoms Sailor Moon style, so I went for "Manga Black Lady" and curled small clumps at a time with a curling iron and hairspray.

So yeah. My wig has lots of issues, but it's workable and it makes me happy. Visit my gallery for pics (sorry I don't know how to do the cut *sniffle*)

Kilala
07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Ok, im pretty sure that this hasnt been posted on this thread yet.........
But anyway, I'm thinking of cosplaying as Sailor Moon, for my next cosplay costume, and I was thinking of using my own hair + some extensions. The only thing is that I dont have bangs and i cant because my hair is curly ( I would look so funny with bangs :p ). So I was wonder what you guys thought........ could i get away with cosplaying with out bangs...... or buy clip on bangs ...... or just not use my hair???
I have no idea what to do.

(The one thing about the clip on bangs is I'm scared that they wont match my extensions when i get them :thumbsup: )

I hope somebody can help me out.
:heart: Kilala :heart:

GRRR.....Curly hair is evil :miffed:

piyo2himi
07-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I think one good way is to use a hair straightener? It's a pretty good way to straighten out curly hair temporary, it worked pretty well for my friends. I think cosplaying without the bangs i all right but it would enhance the whole look of the costume if you did have the bangs ^w^

Alternatively, you could just get a whole wig and add extensions, like how many people had suggested in this thread... Another suggestion is to get the extensions before buying the clip-on wig... it might be better ^^;;

Last but not least, good luck for your Sailormoon cosplay! ^^

GingerWolf
07-28-2004, 11:18 AM
sdee i'm using my own hair and extentions too...but i have bangs i just need to work on my odangos.....*sits in front of mirror for hours*

megumibish
07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Looks at what Lady Amaryllis wrote...makes total sense. One day I shall have my own Sailor Moon wig!!! *doom*

LadyAmaryllis
07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Looks at what Lady Amaryllis wrote...makes total sense. One day I shall have my own Sailor Moon wig!!! *doom*

Total sense, eh? I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not. Lol. I tried ^_^;;

megumibish
07-29-2004, 05:20 AM
Not being sarcastic. Gomei~ I'm just saying what you wrote about how katie does the buns makes total sense. I was thinking a whole different way of doing them myself. I need to write full sentences...babbles. Sorry if you misunderstood...reading that post again makes me realize I did come off a tad course. ^^;;;

lx usagichan xl
07-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry if I'm changing the subject about you all are talking about, but I have a question. If I bought a blond long wig that was already in pigtails and has bangs and I put it up in odangos, do you think that would work and pass as a Usagi wig? My hair isn't long enough for odangos. T.T
<3
Usagi

LadyAmaryllis
07-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Not being sarcastic. Gomei~ I'm just saying what you wrote about how katie does the buns makes total sense. I was thinking a whole different way of doing them myself. I need to write full sentences...babbles. Sorry if you misunderstood...reading that post again makes me realize I did come off a tad course. ^^;;;

Yay, I'm glad it made sense. When I had written it, I thought "wow that doesn't make any sense at all" so I was surprised that you caught what I was saying, that's all. Hope it helps! My advice would be to wait until Katie's odango tutorial is up. I can kind of explain what she said at the seminar, but it'd be a lot better from Katie herself.

usagi_sukino
07-30-2004, 07:26 PM
you can use your real hair for it. If its not long enough all you have to do is add extesions for the pig tail part and use your real hair for the odangos works for me all the time and it looks natrual at least until my hair grows out.

Biscuit
07-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry if I'm changing the subject about you all are talking about, but I have a question. If I bought a blond long wig that was already in pigtails and has bangs and I put it up in odangos, do you think that would work and pass as a Usagi wig? My hair isn't long enough for odangos. T.T
<3
Usagi

OOO! do you have pictures! I think I know the wig your talking about! is it by the brand "lacey" I wanna see what the quality is actually like, because I was thinnking of purchasing that same wig ^_^ I think it would probably be OK. Show us some pictures and we can tell you ^_^

lx usagichan xl
07-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Well... At Ace Wigs, I was thinking about buying either one of the Moon Lady wigs. You can't see the back of the wigs, but I'm pretty sure they don't have odangos. Here's the link were you can find them.
http://www.acewigs.com
You all seem to be smarter than me in the wig department, lol, I don't know any thing about wigs. So you tell me if this is ok and what not. ^.^''
<3
Usagi

Ami Yuy
07-31-2004, 03:35 PM
http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Lacey/4189.php
http://www.acewigs.com/shop/wigs/Lacey/1330.php

You mean these?

lx usagichan xl
07-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes yes, exactly! Do you think if I put those in odangos, it would work and pass of as a Usagi wig?

<3
Usagi

Biscuit
07-31-2004, 09:20 PM
oh yeah it would be fine ^_^ the blonde one alrready has these weird little circular thingies around the pigtails...Look really close at the top of the pigtails and you will see what I mean. But they can be easily be gotten rid of.

lx usagichan xl
07-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Alright, thanks! ^.^ I'm still trying to choose which one to buy though... I'm probably going to buy the yellow one. I have a question about making odangos though... I can make them and every thing, like ya know, you get them to look like well odangos and tie the elastic around them, but mine tend to fall out some times. My friends say I should bobbypin them, should I? I probably made that confusing. I got a little confused about what I typed when I reread it. XD

<3
Usagi

Biscuit
07-31-2004, 10:56 PM
hmm. not sure. Experimenting is probably best. try using clear hair ties so they don't show up. I have them and they are nice.

lx usagichan xl
07-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks again! ^.^

Love always...
Usagi

Anza
07-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Well... At Ace Wigs, I was thinking about buying either one of the Moon Lady wigs. You can't see the back of the wigs, but I'm pretty sure they don't have odangos. Here's the link were you can find them.
http://www.acewigs.com
You all seem to be smarter than me in the wig department, lol, I don't know any thing about wigs. So you tell me if this is ok and what not. ^.^''
<3
Usagi

I had gotten the "Moon Lady Deluxe" for my own Sailor Moon wig and I was very unhappy with it. I did not order it straight off ace wigs, but through another online company (no clue what one, it was over a year and a half ago ^^;;) The back of the wig is actually not parted at all, it's cut very short instead of having a part. It's a good wig if all your going to do is take pictures, walk around, or sing karaoke... but I had to preform in it and had to turn my back quiet often... some of the pictures taken during such a time.. are well.. not very good IMPO. ehehehe (^^)'

The wig doesn't come with odangos, they're just 2 ponytails that are twisted. Styling it into odangos is VERY easy.

Personally I didn't like the wig at all. But I tend to be picky (^.^)' so that's just me.

(^o~)/ <3
~Anza

lx usagichan xl
08-01-2004, 12:27 AM
O.O Oh... Well thanks for telling me! Do you know any other good stores that sell nice wigs that are just in two pony tails or are actually in odango style? That site and Katie's site and Fifi's site are the only ones I know of. T.T I need help.

Love always...
Usagi

Arin
08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
For anyone whose interested, I found a pretty decent Sailor Moon wig
(minus the odangos, which will have to be added) I'm looking to purchse one myself, eventually.....

The url is: http://www.decodermot.com/wigs2.htm Check it out!

Ami Yuy
08-01-2004, 01:38 AM
You always have to be careful of the back though. It seems that anything that's "pre-parted" will be like what Anza said. So, if you want to spend the cash to see if it works, then go for it.

Kilala
08-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Im sorry that im changing sorta topics here.........
but i was wondering..........
What do you think is better -> A yellow Sailor Moon wig, or a Blonde one? Im debating on what colour to get and I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion.

:) Thanks,

:heart: Kilala :heart:

P.s -> Thank You piyo2himi for the help earlier on this thread :bigtu:

lx usagichan xl
08-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Well personally I think... That if you want to really look like the anime Sailor Moon then go for the yellow one, but if you want your hair to look natural then go for the blond one. I'm going for a yellow Sailor Moon wig myself. ^.^

Love always...
Usagi

lx usagichan xl
08-02-2004, 07:01 PM
For my wig I'm probably just going to get that yellow one wig from acewig's, even though I heard it's not the best. As for the odangos I was just going to put it in odango style, but some one else gave me another idea. I'm sure everyone else has said it many times before, but Setsuna-Chan was the one who actually brought it to my attention: Get foam balls and wrapp it with hair extentions and stuff like that, but how do you get them to say on the wig... *not good with wigs at all* @_@

Love always...
Usagi-Chan