PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sheraton!

SasuNaru_san
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
we've had so many great years together and now its time to move on to a big more spacer area..

i dont know about you but im both excited and sad

at the sheraton its easy to track someone down .. and you know almost everyone...its a tight knit con

but once we go over to the Raleigh Convention Center we will grow into a massive con ( maybe we could get as big as Otakon or AWA)
and i dont know maybe it just wont be as fun or maybe im just being such a worrywart that i dont know a good thing when i see it.. but anywayz if you need more info ive got a link....

http://www.animazement.org/~forum/viewtopic.php?t=2268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Go AZ 09!
:rockon:

Chasie
05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm going to miss that hotel. O:
It seems like so many memories are there. It'll be hard to get used to that other place.

double00beaver
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm going to miss the Sheration since it was so easy to navigate and there's three years of memories there for me. I'm especially glad to have my first panel hosted there on the last year.

But, I'm more excited about our new location next year and getting to explore the new surroundings.

salty
05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm gonna miss the pool.

The pool is like the meeting area for the pre-con and just a general tradition.

Skyline Kyo
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
The hotel was very inviting. But, it's way too overcrowded for the small place anymore.

Time to create new memories neh? :)

Legend of Mree
05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
I've had 3 Years of memories there, and damn I'm going to miss that hotel.

Heck, I got pretty sad when people started posting Sheraton tributes at the end of their AZ08 youtube vids.

I've memorized where everything is, and I loved how you could easily find people.

The RBC Center is going to make this con huge, and will definatly be harder to get around. But maybe Animazement will get the recognition it deserves! <333

Headphone Mike
05-27-2008, 11:49 PM
after 7 years of AZ there it's going to feel funny to go somewhere else. But at the same time it's getting harder and harder to move around and our con does need to grow, especially after animerica called us 'the old shoe' con back in 06 i think. We need a change and we need to grow but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Sheraton.

Zipchan
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
This was my first Animazement, and I'm really glad I got to experience it at the Sheraton. =3

I'll miss that friggin' forest in the middle of the lobby. XD;; It was fun to stand up there with my megaphone and recruit SOS-dan members. =P

chevron694
05-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I been going to AZ for 6 years and Animazement well alway be at the sherton in my heart. And It good were growing as long as AZ stays where she belong in our area.

GreatSG
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I feel so old, i've been at Animazement for seven great years at the Sheraton. @_@

I'm definitely going to miss it, but i'm excited about the new location after venturing around there a few weeks before the con when I saw Avenue Q. It's definitely going to be a big change, but a welcomed and fun one.

FFrikku
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
This was only my 2nd AZ, but I really knew my way around this year, and I'm gonna miss it. Amen to the 'it's gonna be harder to find people' i had a hard enough time at the Sheraton (cell phones are your friiiieeeenddsss *u*)
but hey, if it means less crowding, im all for it xD

TybaltFlux
05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
My first year, and although I did like the hotel and the staff, I'm always one for changing up locales, just to keep things fresh. Plus, the place was slightly crowded, and there were barely any food places around. Small complaints, so I would of been fine with going back.

So this is confirmed, huh? Time to wait for dates, so we can all reserve for AZ ASAP :D.

Grav
05-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been to AZ for the past 5 years so I'll miss the sheraton. Every time I drove past it during the year I actually would wave. We do need to extra space though. Even with the tents taking registration outside (which always takes up a nice bit of room) and all the people hanging out on the lawn this year it was crowded as rush hour in DC. I don't think we'll be at big as AWA or Otakon, at least not anytime soon, but we certainly need to spread out. The main events are packed and many people miss out on seeing them. The dealer's room is a mad house, and you can't move (or breathe) at the raves anymore.

I'm glad it is staying in the Durham triangle area though. It's right in the middle of the state so a lot of friends I don't get to see often come together for the awesomeness that is AZ.

angel_illusion
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Well this was only my 2nd time at animazement and I'm going to miss the sheraton.But we really do need the space now. Most of the main events were really croweded, so its a good thing were moving to a bigger place. Also I am glad its not moving to far away from the triangle area. So even if were in a new place lets make the best of it and have an awesome time like all the other times we had in the sheraton!

Meiki
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I'll miss it! This was my 8th year (8th, damn do I feel old...), so the Sheraton holds a lot of really great memories. But it'll be so nice to have more space! We really do need it. I totally agree on the proximity of food as well! I didn't even think about that, but it'll be nice to have more food close by.

Se7enBishie
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I will miss the Sheraton, since this was my 5th Animazement that I attended (4th in a row). I do have to agree that the con is definitely growing way too much to be kept in just the Sheraton, since it's just a little too small for all of the growth that this little modest con is growing exponentially.

I'll look forward to going to the Raleigh Convention Center, since it is a whole lot bigger and hopefully easier to maneuver.

quadrain61
05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah I'm gonna miss that place too (first con AZ 03) since it was one of the two hotels where I love to take pictures outside (Katsucon's Omni Shoreham Hotel being the other), but it has grown out of it's size.

The RCC shouldn't be all that bad since there are two hotels beside it (Marriott and Sheraton) and it should be an easy access for out of towners. The parking deck beside the con center is one of my favorite places to do car photography.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101610237190020881108.00044e5e9d5bf21498570&ll=35.772857,-78.640587&spn=0.010237,0.023518&t=h&z=16

note the green marker

CardcaptorKiki
05-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm really going to miss the Sheraton. Animazement 2004 was my first convention EVER and I've been attending AZ ever since (4 years). What I like best about AZ is the homey atmosphere and I think that's what sets it apart from every other convention. I hope that when we move to the bigger place we'll still have that quality. Itíll probably be more difficult to bump into people I know (what worries me the most), but Iím sure the space will be welcomed.

And, as someone said before, it's the people that make the convention, not the space it's in. No matter where itís held, AZ will always be my favorite. Having that said, I hope to see everyone back for AZ 2009! ^^

double00beaver
05-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know what the inside of the RCC looks like? I'm very curious to see where we're moving to.

Meiki
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know what the inside of the RCC looks like? I'm very curious to see where we're moving to.

Here's some shots of what it should look like when done, it's still being built:
http://www.raleighconvention.com/index.php/homepage/photo-gallery/building-images

double00beaver
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
o___o Holy Xemnas on a stick. That's gonna be awesome!

I really hope we can use the ballroom for an anime themed ball. *___* Sort of like Anime USA's.

TybaltFlux
05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Here's some shots of what it should look like when done, it's still being built:
http://www.raleighconvention.com/index.php/homepage/photo-gallery/building-images

That's really gigantic, at lesat compared to the Sheraton con center. I just hope it's the entire building, and that AZ isn't forced to rent out the place by parts- that could have portions of the building being closed off to the general public, BLEH.

I know that sounds a little silly, but it's kinda what happened at NYAF- the con was off to the side, and yet the con center had plenty of more space for stuff to be going on. It's always nice to just have the building to the place and not be restricted and what-not.

Artikgato
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm glad the con will be moving to a spacier area, but I'll also miss the Sheraton. Hmm, I wonder if they'll miss us, though? Lol. On the one hand the con must have been great for business, but on the other hand I'm sure the hotel staff has gotten tired of the Sheraton being crowded with strange people, most of which are wearing costumes. xD

I will miss it, though. I think if I ever go there when there isn't a convention going on, it'll be too weird.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
i'm going to miss the Sheraton. With 6 years there under my belt, i've made awesome memories and even greater friends. With that said, I am completely excited about the venue change. the RCC looks really great and has the potential to offer even more events such as a formal dance that people have suggested in this thread. the space will allow for all the main programs and cosplay gatherings to not be jammed into tiny spaces. Animazement can be a bigger and better con with all the space. I know that it was TOO crowded this year when I couldn't get through the hallways as Halibel with my sword strapped to my back o.O that's when I knew it was time for venue change. however much we'll miss the Sheraton, the people make the con fun...and Animazement has the best people. AZ 09 will be a great con