PDA

View Full Version : Animal Costumes (Fursuits)

ZaWolf
06-25-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm a fur, but recently got interested in cosplay. I just wondered what cosplayers think of fur's or furry's and whether theres anyone else out there who does both fursuits (animal costumes) and regular cosplay???????

Please dont hate me.

Nachoman
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Well, you might think about making mascot-like costumes, with all the cuddly critters that are out there.
The only problem would be that there aren't many cons going on in Europe, so you would find it pretty difficult to get a sense of familiarity with other cosplayers.

lunasreincarnat
06-30-2003, 09:27 PM
lol i think furry is kinda icky lol... but i have 2 friends into it... ya doing mascots like kero ryo ohkie and stuff like that si cool... i made one sorta fur costume for halloween i was a ferret... it was dedicated to my pet ferrets ^.^

djmihoshi
07-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Woot! Furry Pride! I'm totally into furries and I think they're more than welcome to anime cons. You're probably better off starting with furry creatures from anime (I myself am cosplaying as Ifrit from FFX ^_^....but this is my first real fursuit ever, so i'm kinda nervous about it.) like Kirara or Ryo Ohki. Or, you could make a fursuit wearing a costume! Like a Wolf fursuit wearing a Dejiko outfit. That'd be funny.

lunasreincarnat
07-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by djmihoshi
Or, you could make a fursuit wearing a costume! Like a Wolf fursuit wearing a Dejiko outfit. That'd be funny.

i saw pics of people doing that with sailor moon costumes... it scared me....

ZaWolf
07-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea actually. I'm never going to look like them anyway, my face doesnt have eyes 3 inchs wide, so I may as well combine the two. Never thought of that ^_^

Now I only have the problem of living on this side of the wet stuff, where anime conventions are either very very small or too far away in a foreign country. I'm sure I'll save up and come over to the US eventually, just need lots and lots of money.

</ZaWolf>

FeraWolfElric
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
i saw pics of people doing that with sailor moon costumes... it scared me....

The Sailor Moon thing is called Animegao, where it`s more of a huminoid costume instead of an animal. I was thinking of making an Animegao of Hinata from Naruto. But first I need to make my fursuit of my wolf character.

Ishezeki
11-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Sweet im a kinda new fur...but yeah ive actually done that before...I have sulvestor fursuit lol...it was for halloween but I use it for other days also. You should totally try combining the two, ive done it I dressed up as Sulvestor and my Naruto costume lol...so basically selvestor was Naruto. ^_^ its fun.

Kesra
11-21-2007, 04:16 AM
To be honest...Isn't cosplay just a step away from Furries?

I'm never going to understand this animosity between Cosplayers and Furries. I know Furries have been given some bad publicity but aren't we all dorks in costumes?

Oshi
11-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I know Furries have been given some bad publicity but aren't we all dorks in costumes?

Generally the bad blood comes with the association of zoophilia to furries. And I don't think most of them do the fursuit thing, which makes that point moot. >.>

The true comparison would be, we're all a bunch of freaks :P

Anyway. I'm no furry, but I dig creature cosplay, which uses fursuiting technique. I've had bad blood with furries in the past, but I've cast that aside as their construction tips have been immensely helpful, and so I can laugh at myself when friends jokingly accuse me of furfaggotry, heh.

LadyHawke78
11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm not a fur myself, but I have a number of my friends who are into the furry/anthro fandom (and no, they are not yiff-happy furverts or anything. They are mostly anthro artists.)

I have to admit, that the fursuiting skills of the furry fandom are pretty darn amazing. If you could translate that to mascot-style costumes, I think it would be great for an anime con. You could also try multi-genre cons which are geared towards all sorts of fandoms (anime, scifi/fantasy, video game etc.) I've been seriously thinking of doing a mascot-style costume for Dragon*Con-- something from Happy Tree Friends-- and I'm totally going to poke my furry friends for tips and tricks if I DO go thru with it.

Furries have kibd of gotten a bad rap with otaku and it really sucks, because I know a lot of really nice furries...

pmastamonkmonk
11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Fursuits at anime cons aren't usually as popular as other ones unless they're a furry character. Doing a mascot costume is one way to go about it. Kero or Suppi from CCS, Luna or Artemis from Sailor Moon.

The only fursuits I can think of off the top of my head from cons have been Sonic characters, an Ambrosius with a Sir Didymous, and Red XIII :/

Kaijugal
11-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm a fur, but recently got interested in cosplay. I just wondered what cosplayers think of fur's or furry's and whether theres anyone else out there who does both fursuits (animal costumes) and regular cosplay???????

Please dont hate me.

There are quite a few fursuiters on this site ZaWolf, and fursuiting is definately becoming more prolific at Anime Conventions as well. :) I can think of several dozen off the top of my head right now.

As you post more, and pictures of your work, you're bound to come accross some here. :)

I think as the anime community matures, and as more and more people get their head out of their butt and stop equating people who enjoy cosplaying animal characters with, "OMG I'M A PERV WHO WANTS TO HUMP YOUR LEG AND CAT !!111", you'll see more and more people coming out of the shadows and having fun with fur/mascot costuming.

Personally I feel people who equate fursuiters with the rediculous, pervy, "icky", stereotypes that seem to persist, are just as annoying and and stupid as the people who equate all anime fans with pedophiles.

*sigh*

Anyhow, welcome to the board ZaWolf.
I hope you find some friendly people here.
Cheers!

alaofarda
11-22-2007, 02:28 AM

Please dont hate me.

Let me start by saying, I am not a huge fan of furries and I have been a bit prejudiced against them, but I'm not here to hate. Since I started cosplay, and more specifically since I started gallery browsing on cosplay.com, I have developed a bit of respect towards furries who have constructed their own fursuits, whether they be for cosplaying an anime/video game character or one of their own. I'd feel completely overwhelmed trying to construct something of that nature. Fursuiting is a type of cosplay, whether the angry internet wants it to be or not.

I have yet to actually met a cosplayer in a fursuit while at a convention (so I have no experience with that side of it), but don't let what makes people like me uncomfortable stop you from cosplaying... no matter what the character is.

Kaijugal
11-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Let me start by saying, I am not a huge fan of furries and I have been a bit prejudiced against them, but I'm not here to hate. Since I started cosplay, and more specifically since I started gallery browsing on cosplay.com, I have developed a bit of respect towards furries who have constructed their own fursuits, whether they be for cosplaying an anime/video game character or one of their own. I'd feel completely overwhelmed trying to construct something of that nature. Fursuiting is a type of cosplay, whether the angry internet wants it to be or not.

I have yet to actually met a cosplayer in a fursuit while at a convention (so I have no experience with that side of it), but don't let what makes people like me uncomfortable stop you from cosplaying... no matter what the character is.

Thank you for your response Alaofarda. It's very interesting and touches on an interesting point.

I have a friend who is a furry who is a well recieved and well liked cosplayer. Yet the same person gets some hate thrown on them when in a furry/mascot costume. It's quite sad yet humorous, since the same people who would be having a great time with her, cosplaying, having lunch, flirting, whatever, will the very next day be calling names like "fur fag" at her when in costume, not knowing who's inside.

It often makes me ponder what shallow people we can be.

I'm glad you have developed some respect for people who construct fursuits as fellow fibre artists. Quite frankly fursuiters are costumers, just like any other media costumers. They just have a label and are easily identifiable.

And as for your comment, "I have yet to actually met a cosplayer in a fursuit while at a convention". who knows? It is very possible that you may have met a cosplayer who makes or wears fursuits OUT of costume at a covention, and may have even liked them. :)

One can only hope that any fursuiters you may have met, are as good ambassadors for their community as you are being for yours by posting this.

Cheers!

Nightengale37
12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
There are also various animal characters in some animes which you could make as a good combination of the two. Wolf's Rain is a great example of this since all the main characters are wolves and have a human and wolf form.

Miri
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
To be honest...Isn't cosplay just a step away from Furries?

I'm never going to understand this animosity between Cosplayers and Furries. I know Furries have been given some bad publicity but aren't we all dorks in costumes?

Amen.

To people who have no idea what furries are, furries are generally seen as creeps who just want to have sex with animals. While this is annoying, you just sort of have to push it behind you and ignore it. There are deviants in any fandom, but furries get the only publicity for it, so it makes it look like all furries are the same.

I like furries, and I have no interest whatsoever in fursuit sex or sex with animals. I grew up in a home constantly full of pets, so I've just always loved animals. <_<

Anyway, onto the actual topic.

I've seen characters like Kilala from Inu Yasha or Ookami done with fursuits. Like Nachoman said, there are bunches of critters in anime, and you could do any of them with a fursuit.

siead_lietrathu
12-08-2007, 12:21 AM
hello, another furry here. even though online you may get hit with alot of "gtfo furfag", at cons people usually leave you alone. (though granted, i have always been in groups when suiting, for the extra eyes). even taking an original suit, at worse you will probably get a few idiots but most people will just ignore you.

and welcome to cos.com

Mangochutney
12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
A tip on avoiding anti-furry bias:

Don't call it a fursuit. Call it a "Okami costume" or "mudkip outfit" or "Sonic getup". In short, if you're cosplaying an actual character, focus on THAT. Fursuit is a furry-specific term, and it puts the emphasis on the appeal of wearing fur rather than looking like a specific character.

Oshi
12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I like the general term "creature cosplay" >.>

Flying Furball
02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Bonta-kun from Full Metal Panic is another good example of a 'furred' character that works in Cosplay. Anyone remember the one at Anime Boston 2007?