PDA

View Full Version : Aaliyah

daria_jack
06-26-2003, 07:25 AM
Who else likes her music? I think she's awesome, her music is great. She's also pretty good at acting too. It's really sad about her death, but her music still rocks. She's one of my favorite artists, and simply love her. What do you guys think about her?

Chosuke
06-26-2003, 07:28 AM
I really liked Aaliyah, I got really upset when I heard she died.
I also got upset when everyone started to actually like her when she died too..x.x;

Tenjou
06-26-2003, 08:38 AM
I like her too ~ really the only R&B I can listen to. She had such a beautiful voice. ;_; I liked "Try Again" when it first came out, and when she released her last album, I bought it.

Babbit_Chan
06-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Aaliyah was a beautiful artist. Her music was amazing till the end, really. I would've loved to see her in the Matrix sequels, but unfortunately, her life was cut short.

daria_jack
06-26-2003, 09:12 AM
I thought I saw her in Reloaded. She dies during filming (they were filmed together). She played the part of Zee, and I thought I heard that name mentioned

Lady Orunitia
06-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Aaliyah's part as Zee was completely redone with another woman. She was Link's wife in the movie...

And that whole "liking an artist after they died thing", I was kinda paranoid to buy Aaliyah's album after she died. I was planning on buying it anyway, and someone actually said to me, "Oh yeah, you're going to get it now that she died." That kinda freaked me out, cause it wasn't true, but that someone actually said that to me??!!!!

Then the same thing happened again. I was thinking to myself, "gee I should get some old school RunDMC music"; then Jam Master Jay died, and it was the same thing over again.....

positivespace
06-28-2003, 12:29 AM
I don't think any of the R&B "princesses" today (Ashanti, Li'l Mo, J.Lo, Amerie...shoot, even Mariah) can hold a candle to Aaliyah.

Not only could the girl sing, but she brought such style and flavor to all her songs... from the way she danced, to the way she carried herself, etc... man, it's sad that she's gone.

As for the whole post-mortem album sales thing: just look at 2pac and Notorious B.I.G. they continue to sell thousands of albums after their deaths... in fact, you almost wonder if their albums would've done so well if they were still alive!

Romann
06-29-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by positivespace
I don't think any of the R&B "princesses" today (Ashanti, Li'l Mo, J.Lo, Amerie...shoot, even Mariah) can hold a candle to Aaliyah.

I agree 95%!!! The Mariah thing is another story ^^

But Aaliyah had such a beautiful voice, and her business wasnt all out there, so you kinda felt that she was an everyday type girl. It is sad about her death, but her music WILL always live on.

Edit: On the topic of Ashanti, am I the only one who thought she looked EXACTLY like Janet Jackson in her new video "Rock wit U (Awww Baby)????

positivespace
06-29-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Noir Lumine
Edit: On the topic of Ashanti, am I the only one who thought she looked EXACTLY like Janet Jackson in her new video "Rock wit U (Awww Baby)????

Oh good lord, you're definitely not the only one that thought that way. They were totally trying to emulate Janet... only Ashanti looked like someone had to choreograph the whole darn thing:

"Okay, now hip shake, hand through hair... one and two and... smile... and arm out..."

That woman is just a prime example of how powerful marketing is. =P

Leon
06-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Oh good lord, you're definitely not the only one that thought that way. They were totally trying to emulate Janet... only Ashanti looked like someone had to choreograph the whole darn thing:

"Okay, now hip shake, hand through hair... one and two and... smile... and arm out..."

That woman is just a prime example of how powerful marketing is. =P
Ashanti is an example of how a marginally-talented artist can become a hit through manufacturing and association. You see, she really can't song all that well (Ever seen her perform live?? I rest my case), so she's all about image. She pals around with Ja Rule and the rest of Murder Inc (In fact, it seems as if she's been dependent on them), just about all of her singles are remakes, and it seems that every year, R&B gets a new "it" girl, usually the "sexy girl-next-door" type that pretty much gets alot of attention, and this happened to be Ashanti last year.

JustinCredible
06-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Agreed. Janet evolved as a person throughout the years as did an ARTIST like aaliyah... Ashanti isn't nothing but a product...a 'New Coke'... big hit today... gone tomarrow.

As for the Mariah statement.... I disagree. Mariah was a wonderful artist and had a excellent career... 10 excellent albums (I think it was 10) then she made Butterfly and the rest has been downhill ever since.

Romann
06-29-2003, 11:12 AM
They were totally trying to emulate Janet... only Ashanti looked like someone had to choreograph the whole darn thing:

LOL that's great. When I saw the video at first, I was like "Oh damn! Janet has a new song out!" Then upon closer inspection, i saw it was her. -_- What really made me mad was when a commercial for her CD was on the radio, they called her the "Queen of Hip-Hop and R&B"....were they trying to incite a riot???

motokonoda
06-29-2003, 03:05 PM
she was great and on her way to soo much success. i think it's hard to believe sometimes that she's really gone. her fans are doing well to make sure she's not forgotten. that's good.