PDA

View Full Version : Why do you crossplay?

the Nightblade
06-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Took me a while to gather the courage to take this Poll, I hope I'm not insulting anyone either because that's the last thing I want to to . :o :bashful:

the Nightblade
06-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Oh and the reason I'm making this(I know it's really blunt and rude:( ) Is because I read a post about someone wanting to cosplay a character from another gender on another board(the other board was a Zelda board) and it made me a little curious (a girl wanted to do Ganondorf)

Please warn me if it's too direct a question.
and I made the poll have multiple options too(check all that apply)

Gren
06-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I crossplay because chick costumes then to be "Oo! Oo! Look at me! Look at my butt and my legs and my form-fitting clothing, and all my lowely cleavage! Feel free to speak to it. I don't mind."

I'll still do girl costumes... sometimes.... But for the most part, they really aren't my cup of tea.

the Nightblade
06-28-2003, 09:21 PM
So just for the heck/fun of it? shoulda added that as an option too >.< :mad:

PS. where is my siggy??

Gren
06-28-2003, 09:37 PM
More like "Because I like costume designs of the opposite sex better" It's not intentional, and it's not that I like male chars more than femmes. I'm just not crazy for most femme costume design.

the Nightblade
06-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey you know what.... I didn't even think of that...

It's a really good reason :thumbsup:
I'm really just an outsider :alien:

kitty_neko
06-28-2003, 09:47 PM
to me, it doesn't really matter what gender the person is if I'm in love with the costume, hence why I crossplay ^_^

Karisu-sama
06-28-2003, 10:36 PM
If I really like a character (and their costumes) and especially if I feel an affinity with the character, I may be interested in cosplaying the character. Doesn't matter to me if it's a male or a female character.

Goth Kitty 22
06-29-2003, 12:10 AM
I think your signature only appears if you click the "post reply" button to fill out your sentence. I am doing that right now.

Goth Kitty 22
06-29-2003, 12:12 AM
And here I just filled out the reply box at the bottom.

the Nightblade
06-29-2003, 04:39 AM
I am! I really am!

I klick the post reply butt on and all that and the show signature is check but where is it ??

Michi
06-29-2003, 04:49 AM
No, signatures only show up once per page of a thread. You already posted with your signature once here, so it's not going to show up again until this thread reaches a second page of posts. It doesn't matter if you pick "post reply" or do the quick reply box. In "post reply" the signature box is already checked, in the quick reply box it isn't but you can click it. Please don't double post, also. x_x

Anyway. I've "crossplayed" just because sometimes the characters I like happen to be male. I don't specifically pick out a character because of their gender.

vyrax778
06-29-2003, 04:55 AM
Becouse its fun

Nine
06-29-2003, 07:11 PM
I "crossplay" because when I choose characters to cosplay, they turn out to be female. ^^;

Reiko-chan
06-29-2003, 09:30 PM
I crossplay cuz I can be my bishies! ^.^() lol, really, I do because most of the time the chars I want to do happen to be guys. It helps that I'm rather flat-chested, but I can still do girls well, too. That, and I dress like a guy outside of cosplay (baggy jeans, baggy black T-shirt, sneakers or sandals and goggles), so it's more natural for me than a skirt.

Mizuno Tenshi
06-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Umm... transvestite isn't the right word. Transvestite implies that it's for erotic pleasure...
I'm a crossdresser... in the closet most of the time, but cons let me have fun with it. I also tend to be a LOT more femme than masculine, and like pretty clothes.
Not only are girl's costumes usually more interesting, girls fashion choices in real life are better too.
And... umm... most of my favorite character are girls, and my personality is more like the girls in anime. Well, the less-violent, cuter, intelligent, quiet ones... *points to his avatar*
:D

P-chan

the Nightblade
06-30-2003, 06:51 AM
You know, I think if everyone had the same mentality as the people here, the world would be a much better place. Without such a huge difference in the way people are treated and judged on their biological gender. :cheers:

Cosplaying (and crossplaying for that matter) was to me :alien: but kinda cool when I first saw something about it, now that I know more I think it's even cooler ^^

And what is "bishies" I wonder? sounds a bit like bishounen (or Bishoujo ^^)

And yeah, I know that crossdressing or something like transvestism differ a LOT ^^ I really have no problem with both but (probably because of the way I grew up and envoiroment) I generally tend to keep my distance from transvestites(don't hurt me please, I'm trying as hard as possibly to say exactly how I feel)

peace :dance:

Ps: tnx for the heads up on my sig :)

Chosuke
06-30-2003, 09:04 AM
I crossplay because most of my favorite characters are male,and I ONLY cosplay characters I really love.

I have not found a female character yet that I would be willing to crossplay, because I haven't liked them enough to want to put the effort in. Oh wait,that'll be a bit of a lie in about a month.. -hides secret cosplay plans- But basically for me it has to do with my favorite characters all being male.

I also prefer the designs alot of the time. I sometimes like a few girls outfits,but as soon as the char opens her mouth usual the desire is washed down the drain -_-;

Edit:Woah,I hit 1000 and didn't even notice o_o;

Rosiel
06-30-2003, 09:14 AM
I like to wear pants. XD

Chosuke
06-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Pants are good xD
Unpants without even a butt in them so they are like poofy chaps and VERY hard to make from pleather are not >X
Then couple them 8inch platforms and a paine in the @$$ number of belts..

oh well,I still love crossplay ^^; -hugs unpants-

Chosuke
06-30-2003, 09:47 AM
No..but thats on my to do list..x_x;I'm such a masochist its not funny.Ashleigh...ASHLEIGH..or was it Ashley?

If you really want to know,PM me xD
its a hush hush secret..<.<;;

Hitori
07-01-2003, 12:05 AM
I fear skirts... actually, the first time I wore a skirt since being forced into one as a kid was for cosplay. I don't think skirts are very comfortable, and female characters usually wear skirts. I'm (almost) over that fear, but still, I choose my costumes on how comfortable they'll be and if I like the chara.

Reiko-chan
07-01-2003, 11:50 AM
lol, go pants! baggy jeans at that. I think my aversion to skirts came into being after being FORCED to wear one to give a speech in 8th grade. In front of my entire class at that. Not to mention that with pants, you can sit down most anywear and not show your panties.

I will do skirts if the cosplay requieres it, but most of mine don't. (well, unless you count my dressing in a seifuku for my bf ^.^() ) In fact, Gijinka Suppi-chan with be my first skirt costume. I hope I can manage it!

Agrias
07-02-2003, 12:07 PM
I crossplay because all the chars that I really want to do or have really cool costumes, etc are all girls *_* Besides, it's fun to do something different and fool people.

And personally, on my stance on crossdressing, it's all on a basis of what I feel like wearing. o.o; If the thing happens to be women's clothes, oops?

I hope someday I can pull off the completely androgynous tomboyish look xD

missanime5000
07-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I would crossplay because it's something new to try and I would have a blast being a male character, for instence Squall is a very quit and mysterious character I would enjoy being him because its like getting to know his true character! ^-^ Count me in ~! no limits :P

darienicole
07-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Crossplaying cute bishonen is fun! It makes me feel adorable. Cosplaying girls is fun, but doesn't really make me feel cute.

Hiiragi
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
I think many of the anime/game guys are better looking and more eye-catching than most of the anime/game girls! Not to mention, you get many people glomping you.. And, in my case, free pocky. ^_^ Then the costume I got the free pocky for weren't all that great. [Nagi-Weiss Kreuz + Reno-FF7]. I think the Shuichi one that I just made has to be my best yet..not to mention it took a lot more time than the others.

Another reason? ._. I don't have the cleavage that most of the anime/game girls do--actually I doubt there's many girls that do XD

Mizuno Tenshi
07-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Hiiragi
I don't have the cleavage that most of the anime/game girls do--actually I doubt there's many girls that do XD

So... it takes a real man to be an anime girl? :D

Tenshi

Michela
07-12-2003, 03:45 PM
I just cosplay characters I love or think will be a challenge or learning experience... many of the characters I love are male, so if I like one of their costumes, I make the best effort I can to make a quality costume... it helps if the male character I'm cosplaying is effeminite or young, so I can pull it off more skillfully.

yasafusa
07-13-2003, 02:06 AM
I think it's great to actually get crazy and dressup... I always wanted another excuse besides halloween to dressup!

yuriko
07-20-2003, 01:41 AM
I crossdress mostly because my favorite characters happen to be male or I think I can cosplay a particular character well.
The other thing being that I don't like being particularly naked, and a majority of anime/game characters are rather revealing. That mixed with the female characters often having annoying personalities and I'm not the genki type.

Hibiki-chan
07-20-2003, 02:16 AM
I crossplay because I like the character and I think people will get curious as to why I chose to crossplay as that character instead of any other character in that particular series. There are instances though that I can identify with the characters through my personality.

Satsuki Yatouji for instance, who by the way is probably going to be the first costume I'm "making," indulges herself in computers. While I won't go deep into the explanation of the character, that's an aspect of her that I can clearly identify with... and much more which I won't mention (because of spoilers).

It's not that I want attention because I wanna be popular -- I wanna get attention because I want to know immediately, just by being approached or approaching people who cosplay/crossplay as characters from the same series you're playing as, who has similar interests as myself in a particular series just by looking at them.

Of course, since I'm a n00b, maybe this isn't true -- maybe some people just wanna pick a character to cosplay as even though they don't know what the series is.

Yes, I do like the idea of crossplaying and how the cosplay community (well, most of anyhow) thinks positively of people who crossplay.

KnuxieChan
07-20-2003, 08:21 PM
I crossplay for fun. Usually most of the characters I wanna cosplay are males ^.^' I don't really care if I'm not tall enough, or muscular. It's just fun to make the costumes and act like the character.

>a girl wanted to do Ganondorf.

I'm not alone then. I wanted to make one. I'd do the OoT look though. But look more like the theives.

Apsara
07-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I chose "other" for All of the Above. I didn't intentionally go out of my way to look like a boy, but when I was in my early teens my body was straight up and down. There was really no choice for me unless I wore pads to look more "feminine". The fact that I tended to wear whatever was available in my closet (and my brother's) and didn't give a flying rat's ass about gender conventions also contributed to me being mistaken for a boy. An androgynous boy, but a boy all the same.

Now that I've got cleavage (quite lovely ones too, though crossplaying is now virtually impossible because of them), I still don't care about gender. I'll cosplay a character as long as I feel something for it. Anything actually. Including hate. My favorite costume is of a character I absolutely abhor...and it's a male.

Apsara

manderina
07-21-2003, 12:49 AM
I crossplay for several reasons, my initial reason when I started was because I wanted to cosplay my four favorite guys. But now I do it because I don't like many of the revealing and tight costumes female characters wear (I don't have the figure for it right now -_-;), and plus most of the male characters have more comfortable outfits. Also, I relate more to the guys in the anime I watch and the games I play, so it's only natural to cosplay a character I'm like, no? Ahh...there are several reasons...I cannot list them all ^^;

FallenAngelII
07-22-2003, 06:25 AM
I've only cosplayed once so far (I've only been to one animecon so far! XD) and that was a crossplay. Mostly because I really like Yuna from FFX-2.

Next time, I'm gonna crossplay just for the heck of it and creating a theme (I'm going as gunner Yuna from FFX-2 XD Ah, my poor legs!)

TsukiNoBara
07-31-2003, 12:16 AM
If I like a character, then I'm going to be them if I can. I don't care what sex they are. I'm not going to let taboo stop me.

vyrax778
07-31-2003, 03:13 AM
It also is strangly comfortable when i put on my fuku.:eek:

not sexual just compfy.

Xx Lulu xX
07-31-2003, 11:42 AM
I crossplay cuz yeah, im a guy everyday...and half the time I like the girls in the Anime/Games i play/watch.....
ANd besides, like i said, im a guy everyday of normal life~! Cons are my time of expession! lol

ai no kanmi
07-31-2003, 02:54 PM
I crossplay (or want to ^_^;;; haven't really had the chance yet) because it's 1) fun
2)humourous
3) I kinda sorta wanna crossdress anyway but this provides me with an excuse. (Currently I'm working on a Key from Excel Saga costume)

neko_trin
07-31-2003, 11:09 PM
It doesn't matter to me.. o.o; if the char is cute and i want to take the time to make the costume that's good a enough reason =)

Meta
08-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I crossplay because i like some of the female costumes more than male. I have done 3 cosplays and 6 crossplays, so i am a cosplay newbie, but i enjoy crossplaying more, mostly because my girlfriend and her friends got me into it, and I hang with her and her friends to much.....

Chibi Bunni
08-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Anime guys *mostly* get all the cool weaponry to kill people with(not that Girls don't)..and I also like the their personalities better...<3.<3

daria_jack
08-05-2003, 01:59 PM
I crossplay coz the charcters I wanna do is not of my sex. My crossplay dream is Marilyn Manson, but before I learn how to make a suit, finding a non-topless outfit isn't very easy. For Cosplay North this summer I'll crossplay Twiggy Ramirez (x-MM), because I love him

KyraEnsui
08-06-2003, 11:28 PM
I just love cosplaying from the opposite sex. ^_^ Too many stereotypes for anime girls...that's what I think.

Cicatrice
08-16-2003, 07:24 PM
The reason I crossplay? hm...Well, it is mostly because *most* of the girl anime characters that I have come acrost, are mostly very revealing.. And most Bishi's are just soooo sexah! xD But I do cosplay as well, so don't get me wrong.

Decibella
09-12-2003, 11:48 PM
I prefer to crossplay because i love the attention that a 6' Mana-sama in seven inch platforms can get whilst twirling through the halls. But seriously, i feel that women get to have way more fun and interesting outfits to choose from, not just costumes, but in everday fashion too. besides, hilarity always ensues when you bend your gender...

ACXchan
09-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Hah I do it because the majority of the characters I like are male XD

Mini-rant: I'm not fond of the term crossdressing because it implies certain articles of clothing are meant for certain genders and *only* those genders. Yet women everywhere are allowed to wear pants without complaint. A guy puts on a kilt? Automatically people say "OMG he's in a skirt O_O" WTF is up with that eh u_u;;?

Catpaw
09-13-2003, 01:53 AM
I'm a tomboy, nothin' different to wha I wear normally... I can act malish if I want... So my point stated...

Reno_kun
09-13-2003, 02:27 AM
i crossplay to open up new costuems

Jupiter
09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
I have to agree3 with vyrax778. Crossplaying is just plain fun. ^_^

Jupiter
09-13-2003, 11:27 PM
vyrax's message was on page one

Andrea
09-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Hmm... I thought I replied to this thread before, but now I can't find it.

Something occurred to me earlier, actually, when I uploaded a pic of my newest crossplay (well, one I've done before, but with a wig this time ;))... someone noted that I make a sexy guy.

I'm not "pretty" without tons of makeup. (With makeup, yes, I can look conventionally pretty, and I could upload some pictures to prove it, but I don't care enough to spend that much time and money on my appearance on a regular basis.) Most females aren't. But since guys don't have to look "pretty"...

So in addition to the main reason - the fact that most of my favorite characters that I like to RP and thus also cosplay are male - it's more fun for me to be a moderately attractive "bishonen" rather than a really mediocre-looking female.

MadEddy
09-14-2003, 06:09 AM
I dress like a boy most of the time, anyway. Anyway, I can pull of someone like Shuichi Shindou a lot better than I can any anime girl I can think of. Besides, how could I pass up an opprotunity to crossplay as Gackt? (I'm doing his outfit from the Vanilla PV on Halloween.)

katrinastrife
09-14-2003, 12:59 PM
I'm going to crossplay because Kuja rocks.

^_^; Then again, is that really crossplay?

Lyn
09-14-2003, 02:07 PM
I crossplay for a number of reasons.

1) There are a lot more male characters I like more than the females.
2) I tend to identify with the male characters more often than the girls.
3) I really love a lot of the guys' clothing.
4) I hate dresses, skirts, tights, etc. And I only wear make-up for costumes. I just really dislike a lot of feminine articles of clothing.

And well, there are a few other reasons, but they're a bit on personal side and go along with who I am and some gender problems. ^^;;

Meta
09-17-2003, 01:30 PM
i dont know why i enjoy crossplay more, but i have come across reasons why i like to crossplay.

1) Every man has thought about what is like to be a woman. Crossplaying is kinda close experience.

2) Women more choices to choose from, as in what they wear.

3) I've gotten many dates because girls thought i was cool crossplaying.

I started to crossplay when i went to basiclly an all girls party. One made a costume that fit my 5' 11" 155 lbs. (A mana costume, btw). It was fun. Also, i understand why women buy so many shoes. There are a lot more styles. I have 2 pairs of men's shoes, nike's and formal. I probably have 25 pairs of women's shoes, mostly for costumes. I know, im wierd.