PDA

View Full Version : Mello cosplay ((Death Note))

maichips
06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm putting together a Mello cosplay for AnimeIowa later on in the summer. He's definitely a leather freak. Sadly, leather costs money. Does anyone think it's a total crime if I do not have leather pants nor a leather vest for Mello?

Xailyn
06-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Dude, in the middle of the summer, I don't think it's a crime at ALL to cosplay Mello WITHOUT the leather. But, if you do want leather pants at least, here's a tip. Salvation Army and Good Will both sell leather pants on the cheap. All you need to do is modify the crotch of them (Lol Mello crotch) so there's cords. It's easy.

Don't worry about it if you don't. My shirt is made of cotton, and my very first attempt at Mello was like...last minute. (Literally, I was in a black tank top, black pants, and a blonde wig, and people called me Mello. It worked.) I say, if you want to be insanely accurate, go full leather, but if money/heat is a problem, don't worry about it. Don't go to a con in full leather if you're going to die from the heat, and don't bother spending money on something you know you won't be comfortable in. Just have fun with it. ^^

Palindromez
06-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Dude, in the middle of the summer, I don't think it's a crime at ALL to cosplay Mello WITHOUT the leather.

I agree, I mean it's probably not very cannon though since I don't think we see him without his leather much. But Mello, as well as Matt, have unimaginably heatstroke-inducing clothing on. (Seriously. Gloves, boots, wigs, and most of the clothing is in dark shades.) But I must say if you're more bothered by the fiscal portion look into pleather. It's not as authentic but it still looks nice and I believe you can get it for less. (Any shiny black material would probably look good on Mello though)

navigated
06-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm going to have to disagree on the "shiny material is good for Mello" thing. Vinal looks pretty awful when used for Mello, because it just looks like a cheap costume, if you manage to do the whole in in PVC, while you'll look like a total fetishist, that might be a little more acceptable, but then again that puts you back into the problem of "Holy crap this costs a ton of money"

I found leather pants on the internet for about 8 bucks. They're second hand, but eBay is awesome. My vest is not made out of leather though, since its kind of impossible to get a quilted (with the weird puffy bits that he's got) leather vest, so I went with having a cotton quilted vest, which lots of other people have and I think it's a reasonable solution. Really, I think as long as you're not wearing a down vest for Mello, it doesn't matter if it's cotton or leather.

Its VERY easy to overheat as Mello. I've got leather pants and a leather trenchcoat on top of that and I sweat up a storm (just as a potential TMI tip here: if you do end up with leather pants be prepared for sweaty legs - it gets kind of rediculous sometimes), so much so that my burn sometimes starts melting off my face. This is generally why I try to avoid cosplaying him in the summer. He's kind of late-fall/winter costume.