PDA

View Full Version : Guests for Animefest 2008...

chibi_sasuke_1
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey everyone :)

Hmm...I was looking at the guest list for Animefest, and personally, I wasn't too impressed. I feel a little let down after seeing Akon's disappointing guest list and was really hoping for something uplifting at Animefest. Not to be, at least, not yet ^^

At the Halloween party last fall, they asked for feedback on which guests to bring. Why do they do that, and then not even bother to try and get people who were actually up there? It's frustrating and annoying. I mean, now there's no band and average guests. What's happening to you, Animefest? :(

What do you guys think about the guest list?

Kaylin77
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I only know Scott McNiel...and I've already met him >.>
I really hope they bring a great musical guest or I'll be let down. I was hoping Vic would be at Afest but oh well

Rachael-chan
06-20-2008, 03:28 PM
They announced there wouldn't be a concert. =w=

Kaylin77
06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
They announced there wouldn't be a concert. =w=

say what? D:

Koda89
06-20-2008, 05:38 PM
say what? D:

It is because of the cost of holding a concert. A good portion of the con's funds goes to the concert alone, mainly the equipment. On top of that, the band needs a lot of practice time, preventing the main programming room from being of any use for most of the con.

So this year we are getting two cosplay contests, one for just walk ons, the other for skits.

Also, this allows the people running the con to start saving up to buy their own concert equipment, instead of just always renting it.

Think of this year as a pause year, really.

baku_neko
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
No concert? Awww. :(

Well, that's only one of the many reasons I goto Afest, so it's not that bad. :p

LordDraco3
06-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Chuck Huber seals the deal for me in terms of guests. Scott is cool too.

I always like Afest's concerts more than Akon's, they are soooo much less hectic and scheduled at better times

Saejima
06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't hold them to it though. If someone does come up they will book it. So there is a possible chance there might be a concert.

Koda89
06-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Don't hold them to it though. If someone does come up they will book it. So there is a possible chance there might be a concert.

Well any band that wants to be there has 2 months left.

benihime
06-21-2008, 07:04 PM
i just dont see how they went from FLOW to ... who was there last year again? to no band i mean...doesn't make sense to me

LordDraco3
06-21-2008, 07:32 PM
i just dont see how they went from FLOW to ... who was there last year again? to no band i mean...doesn't make sense to me

Yeah I missed the con last year, but FLOW was awwwwsome (and this is comming from an anti-Naruto perspective lol)

But without a concert, shouldn't ticket prices be lower?

Koda89
06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah I missed the con last year, but FLOW was awwwwsome (and this is comming from an anti-Naruto perspective lol)

But without a concert, shouldn't ticket prices be lower?

Ticket prices are determined by more than just events available. We basically are paying for 4 days worth of fun, and we are going to (hopefully) get 4 days worth of fun. A concert is just part of that fun.

LordDraco3
06-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Ticket prices are determined by more than just events available. We basically are paying for 4 days worth of fun, and we are going to (hopefully) get 4 days worth of fun. A concert is just part of that fun.

I realize, but someone mentioned above that concerts cost a LOT, and that pass fees go towards everything, including that. I mean, I'm so glad that I won't be paying $55 for another pass that I'll barely use like I did at A-Kon, but it just seems if they aren't doing something that costs an arm and a leg that the passes would cost a little bit less.

shiri_tori
06-22-2008, 02:06 AM

Hmm...I was looking at the guest list for Animefest, and personally, I wasn't too impressed. I feel a little let down after seeing Akon's disappointing guest list and was really hoping for something uplifting at Animefest. Not to be, at least, not yet ^^

At the Halloween party last fall, they asked for feedback on which guests to bring. Why do they do that, and then not even bother to try and get people who were actually up there? It's frustrating and annoying. I mean, now there's no band and average guests. What's happening to you, Animefest? :(

Actually the guest of honor is pretty surprising. I was surprised they could even get him, I would hardly call him average.

And as far as bands go, I'm pretty much in agreeance with Koda89--getting musical guests is hard, and it's expensive. This is experimental anyway, so perhaps this will only be a one time thing.

chibi_sasuke_1
06-23-2008, 02:09 PM

That's what I'm talking about. >.<

And two nights for cosplay? Hmm..Maybe they should try something like Anime IDOL or something else as a fun nighttime activity, just to mix it up a bit.

Band or no band, at least balance it out with better guests then.
I think you'd get more people to come if the guests were more 'current' or dealt with something that was 'hot' for either this year or last. No offense, but the usual stand-bys are getting redundant >.<

thefinal
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM

I can say one thing that has been a little difficult with the guest list that I'm aware of is partially with the economy the way it is. From my understanding we had a list of Japanese guests that we were considering until the economy has declined like it has. Gas prices are tremendously high which in turn causes flights to be much more costly. This is just what I've understood thus far. We're hoping next year that things will be a lot better.

thefinal
06-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Well as much as I had no clue whom the band was last year, I could not argue because someone I highly admire as a musician, Tsutchie, was there. I had no idea he was a part of United Fellas, but he indeed composes a good portion of the music for Samurai Champloo in coordination with the NUJABEES.