PDA

View Full Version : Conventions featured on Cosplay.com

Kaijugal
06-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Does anyone else wish that Anime North was getting the same exposure on Cosplay.com as some of the other conventions such as Fanime or A-Kon? :( I wonder if there is anyway this could be achived?

We have this fantastic Anime Event in Canada and our numbers are comperable to other cons that are featured. Our Masquerade is SUPER FANTASTIC and more importantly unlike some conventions we have TWO costuming events and they're open to everyone.

That's my rant. LOL!

Cheers!
~Dawn :sleep:

Kisa
06-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah. You get used to being ignored...

Last year on Fans View we got shafted by sharing with ACEN and having half as many pictures as most cons, and this year they didn't even bother with us.
Engh. But yeah. Maybe we jsut don't have enough 'big name' cosplayers or something. Or we're not cool/HOT enough to be featured on cosplay.com *snerk*

Chosuke
06-29-2003, 03:13 PM
I noticed we don't even have a gallery in the 'member con photos' section. I thought we would at least have a tiny place there.
Also I think the problem amy be that we are so out of the way compared to cons they could also go to,which are much nearer. Not to mention alot bigger..

Cest la vie. Unless someone can convince them to come to AN instead of going to Anime Central or whever they go,we're shafted.

Kaijugal
06-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Maybe we should approact them about this. You know "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" and all.... Hm. Alternately we could collectively start an ANIME NORTH cosplayers view website where we all submit. That could showcase the positive aspects of the convention and be our own voice.

As for not having High Profile Cosplayers, that's all about how much press one gets isn't it? (thus the idea of creating our own board and supplimenting it with the great shots we will get from our planned photoshoots!) :D I firmly belive that we have cosplayers attending Anime North that are on par with any of the "high profile" cosplayers in the states! Our job is to show it off!!

CHEERS! ~Dawn :)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-29-2003, 07:35 PM
I know! I was wondering the same thing too! AN really should deserve a gallery of themselves~!! It's the best con ever! (sorry, i've only attended to An and CN......I dunno about other Canadian cons....but AN is the best of the 2 for me~ Anime concentrated ^^)

Maki

Kia
06-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Hum... I was wondering about thins myself just after the con... Why *are* we left out? I certainly hope that someone, other than the Canadian cosplayers themselves, cares about us... I'm sure that if we asked that we would get at least a mini-gallery, but do we just want to stop there?

We also got shafted alot this year b/c of SARS. I remember commenting on one of the pre-AN threads about how a large number of people kept posting about how they were no longer comming, whether directly b/c of SARS or indirectly. It was kind of unsettling to hear how many people had just turned around and made alternative plans to attend other big American cons instead. This *may* have helped to increase our lack of profile this year, but who really knows. Maybe if we start making a stink about it closer to AN 04 then someone might listen and pay attention to us for once.

Also, if it has something to do with high profile cosplayers, then maybe we should just do what I think Dawn is suggesting and create some "high profile" of our own. ^_^ Screw the system, lets just do it our way. ^_^

Kaijugal
06-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Kia
Hum... I was wondering about thins myself just after the con... Why *are* we left out? I certainly hope that someone, other than the Canadian cosplayers themselves, cares about us... I'm sure that if we asked that we would get at least a mini-gallery, but do we just want to stop there?

Let's start writing requests to cosplay.com. And promote others to do that as well.!

We also got shafted alot this year b/c of SARS. I remember commenting on one of the pre-AN threads about how a large number of people kept posting about how they were no longer comming,

I attended the convention wrap up meeting last week and I can tell you that we *STILL* had a dramatic increase in attendance. Sarcasm-Hime will confirm this I'm sure.

Also, if it has something to do with high profile cosplayers, then maybe we should just do what I think Dawn is suggesting and create some "high profile" of our own. ^_^ Screw the system, lets just do it our way. ^_^

Yes that's exactly what we should do. I wholeheartedly second that. !!

:cheers: Let the Canaidan Cosplay bedia blitz begin! :cheers:

Erilan
06-29-2003, 09:14 PM
I talked to Admin about this awhile ago. The cons on that page are ones he attended, and all the pictures were taken by him with his godly $13000(USD) camera.

I'm gonna try to talk him at Otakon to coming to AN2004. Its a possibility as long as AN doesn't end up conflicting with Animazement. If it does, its prolly gonna be difficult. :/

Chosuke
06-29-2003, 09:26 PM
You go Erilan!
You go gi-err.. Boy! :D

O.T:didja see the pics of us in the MAKI gallerY?

Kaijugal
06-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Erilan
I talked to Admin about this awhile ago. The cons on that page are ones he attended, and all the pictures were taken by him with his godly $13000(USD) camera.

I'm gonna try to talk him at Otakon to coming to AN2004. Its a possibility as long as AN doesn't end up conflicting with Animazement. If it does, its prolly gonna be difficult. :/

Perhaps if he doesn't want to attend Anime North. (only God knows why he wouldn't) <winks> Perhaps Thri-Kreen/Brian from Animecafe.net would be willing to help out. He also has Godly Camera Will Travel and he and Ian Stuart are the officail AN Photograpy staff.

Oh, and if I've not mentioned it before, I really liked your Voldo
costume from AN2000.

archangeli
06-29-2003, 11:08 PM
The dates for AN04 are already set. It's gonna be coinciding with Memorial Day Weekend in the US (May 28-30, 2004).

Kaijugal - were you the judge that gave my costume a hall award? I remember that she said "Super Fantastic!" about 6 times while I was talking to her ^_^

Kaijugal
06-30-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by archangeli
The dates for AN04 are already set. It's gonna be coinciding with Memorial Day Weekend in the US (May 28-30, 2004).

Kaijugal - were you the judge that gave my costume a hall award? I remember that she said "Super Fantastic!" about 6 times while I was talking to her ^_^

<laughs> Oh Yes that was me. <blushes>

<chuckles and blushes> Very observant.

:toothy: Well, your costume was.....you know..;)

~ Kai / Dawn

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-30-2003, 02:20 AM
speaking of that, I was wondering why this yr's AN moved to Victoria day's weekend?

Kaijugal
06-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
speaking of that, I was wondering why this yr's AN moved to Victoria day's weekend?

I think it had something to do with another event having booked the hotel on the weekend we usually hold AN. That seems to come to mind. Maybe it was the Music Fest. THey were storing thier band equipment in the room we usually like to use for the Greenroom.

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
06-30-2003, 02:51 PM
heehe, I was thinking of that too~ ^^
I think AN would have more ppl if it werent' for SARS and the overlaps with another anime con. Heehe, next yr I am sure will have A LOT MORE people join then this yr! (and AN is growing fast!!)

Rosiel
06-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Oh, goodness. ><;;;

> Or we're not cool/HOT enough to be featured on cosplay.com *snerk*

The cons that get their own Cosplay.com galleries are cons that Admin can attend to take the pictures. He has a life, and can only attend a limited number. He barely touches the East Coast of the US also, due to his geographical location. So it's not like you're being victimised.

> I noticed we don't even have a gallery in the 'member con photos' section.

Neither does Akon 2003 or Acen 2003 or... I think Admin just didn't have the time to update the list.

> Let's start writing requests to cosplay.com. And promote others to do that as well.!

Please don't. Have someone send ONE nice PM to Admin asking for a spot in the member con photos, and I am sure he will do it. Spamming is not the way to encourage people to do things for you.

LionBoogy
06-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Anime North is most definitely NOT a small con. :)

LLNN was also in a tough position to cover BOTH Acen 2003 and ANorth 2003. The reason I didn't do that wasn't because of SARS. It was because realistically the travel time and costs between Illinois and Toronto and International Customs is a headache. I know, because LLNN was at Anime North for 2001 and 2002. :) And believe me, I do intend to come back! :)

At the end, I chose Anime Central because it is a sister con to me and I have a lotta friends on staff who wanted me to cover it again. For 2004, Anime North directly coincides with FanimeCon (practically right next door to me), but I am considering keeping a promise and coming back for the entire Anime North 2004 (a hard and EXPENSIVE choice indeed). How much of a sacrifice is that?

It may not seem like a big deal to local con goers, but to us international travellers who span multiple time zones while trying to stay awake, well... you do the math. :)

- Lionel

Sarcasm-hime
06-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Yeah, we had a HUGE increase in attendance despite SARS. Well, actually, it's sort of in line with the general trend--our attendance has pretty much doubled every year since the con's inception. Last year we had around 2500 people...this year almost 5000. Yipes!

Hehe...well, Cosplay.com has its photoshoots, so we can have our own photoshoot! I'm aiming to hold it on the next Cosplay Meetup day, which is July 19 IIRC. Then we can put all the pics up on Hellebelle's new Canadian Cosplay site...XD

Kaijugal
06-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

> Let's start writing requests to cosplay.com. And promote others to do that as well.!

Please don't. Have someone send ONE nice PM to Admin asking for a spot in the member con photos, and I am sure he will do it. Spamming is not the way to encourage people to do things for you.

I wasn't intending we "spam" with alot of short, annoying and pointless messages. I was hoping that some of the key cosplayers and concom that frequent here would write useful proposals from thier point of view. It was already mentioned that Kevin can't be everywhere, and that's understandable but perhaps we could find someone of good quality to provide him with pictures if her were truely interested. Many people may have constructive comments to add that I would not think of myself.

Anyhow, thank for your comments and suggestion. That gives us a firmer idea of what's going on here at cosplay.com.

Please excuse our gusto on the subject. We at Anime North are so accustomed to being overlooked. It gets a bit frustrating and discouraging at times.

Once again, thanks for your "official" input. :)
Cheers!
~Dawn :)

Kaijugal
06-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
heehe, I was thinking of that too~ ^^
I think AN would have more ppl if it werent' for SARS and the overlaps with another anime con. Heehe, next yr I am sure will have A LOT MORE people join then this yr! (and AN is growing fast!!)

:bigtu: Attendance sure is growing fast! We're already in the largest combined hotel/convention space in the city. The attendance jumped so much and there are so many new events that next year we will also be using the Marriott across the street!!!

Kaijugal
06-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by LionBoogy
Anime North is most definitely NOT a small con. :)

LLNN was also in a tough position to cover BOTH Acen 2003 and ANorth 2003. but I am considering keeping a promise and coming back for the entire Anime North 2004 (a hard and EXPENSIVE choice indeed). How much of a sacrifice is that?

It may not seem like a big deal to local con goers, but to us international travellers who span multiple time zones while trying to stay awake, well... you do the math. :)

- Lionel

Lionel,
Let me be the first to say that we'd love to have you at Anime North again. Attending cons on both sides of the border I completely sympathize with you regarding the cost. :waaaah:
<kaijugal looks at her credit card and cringes>
I don't so mind the time zone problem and keeping the wierd hours. I love to ride in the car. I love to fly. But the money. (and time off work) Eek!

Thank you for thinking of us. We hope to see you in 2004 ( and we hope you see us) <laughs and winks> It is also my personal wish that you get to ENJOY Anime North as well as cover the event.

Cheers!
~Dawn :) ( Kai )

Erilan
06-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Fanime is on Memorial Day weekend next year? Looks like Admin ain't coming to AN then. -_-

<whine>
Why must cons always conflict with Anime North? In 2002 it was Animazement, this year it was Anime Central, and next year its Fanime. Will we ever get a weekend to ourselves? :|
</whine>

At first I was a bit ticked off about the lack of recognition for other cons, but I eventually got used to it. Its not that big of a deal to whine about. People know about AN. People know that its a big con and fun con that everyone should goto. ;)
Having an Anime North gallery on the main image page shouldn't make that big of a difference. :)

Kaijugal
07-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Erilan
Fanime is on Memorial Day weekend next year? Looks like Admin ain't coming to AN then. -_-

*tsk!* Be positive. (Especially with it now Officially being CANADA DAY and all. :D

People know about AN. People know that its a big con and fun con that everyone should goto. ;)

Hurah! Much better! <waves flag> <parties> :drink:
<pours drinks for everyone>

:cheers:

lainey
07-08-2003, 11:06 PM
some Canadian coverage WOULD be nice.

*nods* Toronto is just across the border from NY