PDA

View Full Version : Overdone Cosplays...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Well you know it was coming...

Rinoa
Tuxedo Mask
Tidus
Duo Maxwell

I'm sorry, but those 4 cosplays are simply overdone. Why? Cheap and easy to throw together. And at some cons there are like 10 of then running around. But that is the norm, but come on... Aren't you sick of em too? Hell I retired my Duo cosplay at Animazement 2002 because I could tell no one cared. :D

Rosiel
09-17-2002, 04:33 PM
I don't see how a Tuxedo Mask can be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you own a dress tux. As for Tidus, that is NOT an easy costume, did you see that sword? (Plus there are four times as many Lulus as Tiduses, and at least as many Squalls)

If you say "I see too many of them", yes, I somewhat agree, as you forgot the characters you see the most of, that is:

(off the top of my head)

Lulu
Yuna
Rikku
Vash
Wolfwood
Anthy

And Duocon stopped a long time ago. We now have Triguncons and Utenacons and FFcons. =)

Lady
09-17-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Vash cosplayers, myself. At both Otakon 2001 and 2002 you couldn't fart without hitting one. I'm starting to grow tired of Yuna and Lulu, too.

-Lady

scandia
09-17-2002, 04:39 PM
I have seen like 2 Tuxedo Masks, 2 Tidus at 2 different cons and of 2 different genders; and Yuna I have only seen this year (and in some cons I have seen just one). Rinoas I have seen several but not at every single con. However, I have yet to go to a con with over 100 people that does not have at least one Duo.

Overdone costumes IMHO:

Sailor Moon (and most of the senshi, but especially Moon)
The Weiss Kreuz guys
Ranma
Shinji, Rei Ayanami, Asuka
Vash the Stampede
Sakura from CCS (I know there's a lot of outfits but still)

Now, can ANYONE think of any characters that are relatively well known but you have not seen much cosplay of them even though they do not seem unreasonably tough? I have not seen those many members of the Tenchi gang being overdone (not a Tenchi fan btw, but two good online friends of mine are).

Cassandra
09-17-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm starting to see a lot of Cowboy Bebop's Ed around too. And there's way more Sailor Moons then there are Tuxedo Masks. (I'm not saying the SM costumes are easy...there's just a lot of them...)

Cassandra
09-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by scandia

Now, can ANYONE think of any characters that are relatively well known but you have not seen much cosplay of them even though they do not seem unreasonably tough?

Rally Vincent from GunSmith Cats. I haven't seen anyone (besides me :D) cosplay her. And all that outfit consists of is a black skirt, white button-down shirt, black jacket, a tie and low heeled black shoes. Not difficult at all.

Jibrille
09-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Yuna is at the top of my overdone list
Lulu
Rikku
Ranma
Vash
Shinji
Squall
Duo
Kenshin
Rei Ayanami
Spike from bebop
any sailor scout

i havnt really seen too many tuxedo masks and there havnt been an excessive amount of Tidus' YET, but they are working on it.

lol

Nietsche
09-17-2002, 04:57 PM
All costumes are fair game be they overdone or not...
I mean I simply can't get enough of the Ranmas (girl and boy type), Kenshins, Sanosukes, Deedlits (by the way I actually like Deedlit) and Morrigans running around conventions! (That's just naming a few off the top of my head)

As to what has not been seen much of- Patlabor uniforms are quite easy...I i'd like to see the whole set of Gung Ho Guns just once at a convention...

Celine
09-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah, these costumes listed here are pretty popular, but there's nothing wrong with that. I even think that some things (like CCSakura) are on the decline now. Fushigi Yuugi has remained a popular cosplay choice for years. I've seen a bazillion Xelloses (Xellosi?) and Lina Inverses. Newer things, like Gravitation and Weiss Kreuz, I'm seeing more and more of. I don't know anything about these new shows and I can still recognize these characters- that tells you a lot about what's being cosplayed a lot these days. If you go through each convention, you can pretty much find one dominating costume from each... like Otakon 2001's abundance of Vash/Wolfwoods.

Scoti
09-17-2002, 05:15 PM
I 've seen too many of the following...

1)Merle (escaflowne)
2)mostly everyone from Sailor moon but the villains
3)Vash (anime version) but I've only seen one person do the manga one
4)CCS "pink cat maid costume" ugh! there is like 6 at every con!!
5)Miaka's priestess outfit..I think that's what it is (FY)

now I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but they really need to tone it down alittle...I do agree that there is too many yuna's, Lulu's, and Tidus' but what can you do huh?

Luna Moon
09-17-2002, 05:22 PM
Too many Yuna's and Wolfwoods X_x *dies*

But yeh.....I'd like to see more Shuuichi's from Gravitation *lol*

*huggles Shuuichi*

and maybe even a Ryuuichi~! ^____^

-Luna-

aeva
09-17-2002, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luna Moon
[b]Too many Yuna's and Wolfwoods X_x *dies*

But yeh.....I'd like to see more Shuuichi's from Gravitation *lol*

*huggles Shuuichi*

and maybe even a Ryuuichi~! ^____^

[QUOTE]

YESH! Let the Gods rain Gravitation cosplayers down on us!!! Shoujocon was just *dripping* With Gravitation cosplayers... AXNY only had about.. er... 8. 4 of them being Hiro. o.O I was one of the 2 Shuichis. [that's SUCH a fun costume!! Yay for his jacket! =D]

Personally, I see *way* too many:
Vash/Wolfwood
Chii
Ranma [though that's not a *bad* thing...]
Just about any FF character
InuYasha characters [yet again, defaintely NOT a bad thing]
Sailor Scouts
CCS
Utena / Evangelion school outfits
Belldandy

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Cassandra

Rally Vincent from GunSmith Cats. I haven't seen anyone (besides me :D) cosplay her. And all that outfit consists of is a black skirt, white button-down shirt, black jacket, a tie and low heeled black shoes. Not difficult at all.

My friend cosplayed as Minnie May Hopkins and no one knew ho she was... She even had the GSC logo on the back of her jacket. >.<

Ina
09-17-2002, 06:07 PM
oh booy... there sure is lots of Trigun cosplayers out there for sure

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
I don't see how a Tuxedo Mask can be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you own a dress tux. As for Tidus, that is NOT an easy costume, did you see that sword? (Plus there are four times as many Lulus as Tiduses, and at least as many Squalls)

If you say "I see too many of them", yes, I somewhat agree, as you forgot the characters you see the most of, that is:

(off the top of my head)

Lulu
Yuna
Rikku
Vash
Wolfwood
Anthy

And Duocon stopped a long time ago. We now have Triguncons and Utenacons and FFcons. =)

I say it's cheap because of easy it is to rent a damn tuxedo and get a mask, top hat, and cane. Now, going as Darien with the green blazer is more original.

As for Tidus... Most Tidus cosplays I have seen are basically a pair of jumpers, with a half a leg. Wow, how original. There are some I see too many of that are ok, but there are some cosplays that are overdone...

BTW, I didn't see a single Utena cosplay, except for the kawaii girls at BAAF. :)

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Nietsche
All costumes are fair game be they overdone or not...
I mean I simply can't get enough of the Ranmas (girl and boy type), Kenshins, Sanosukes, Deedlits (by the way I actually like Deedlit) and Morrigans running around conventions! (That's just naming a few off the top of my head)

As to what has not been seen much of- Patlabor uniforms are quite easy...I i'd like to see the whole set of Gung Ho Guns just once at a convention...

One of my cosplayers did Patlabor at AXNY. Some cons, thre are too many Ramnas, expecially when they don't get it right. I could shoot half of the Ranma cosplayers that have black frogties, not yellow! :hafha:

Jibrille
09-17-2002, 06:26 PM
**NOTE: Its ramble day here at college**

>If you go through each convention, you can pretty much find one dominating costume from each... like Otakon 2001's abundance of Vash/Wolfwoods.

yeah, that was really weird, i thought i was just seeing things or something ^^; lol
our prediction is that Hellsing will be the next Trigun in the cosplay world...^^ anyway...

yeah, its not necessarily a bad thing to have them in excess but sometimes its like "woah thats a lot of yunas" kind of thing. its just overwhelming at times.

(the following is the important paragraph of the post) lol
*steps on soap box*
I am a firm believer in making a costume cause you like it or love it and you want to make it (yes that was directed at you b-chan *wink*) not because someone else or the world is making it/already has.
*steps off cosplay soap box*

sometimes though it ends up depressing the cosplayers. there was one person we saw at katsucon as yuna and saw another yuna and got so sad....
and then arisuchan wore her like perfect yuna to otakon (with a perky obi this time i might add ^^ lol) and she had her picture taken once.
though on the other side of that coin are the people in the same costume that get together, laugh, and take a group picture. (like there is that pic of about 4 or 5 female lulus)

yeah, sometimes it feels to be good to be one of the first to be in a costume.
like it makes me happy i was one of the original Ritsukos out there, yaknow? its just an extra neat feeling. its like a cosplay fun bonus to be one of the first, its just a good feeling.
being a trend setter! j/k LOL
and yaknow what, i STILL wear my Ritsuko cause i love it and dont care if there are 6 others at any given con. ^^

i need drugs.... or something

remember kids, drugs are bad...

O.o

Sami
09-17-2002, 06:30 PM
I actually haven't seen very many Duo's at all.. or much GWing cosplay, really. Off the top of my head I've seen one Treize, one Zechs, and a few Lady Unes.. but that's about all. ;_; Go go GWing!

As for overdone.. XD *rubs hands together*

- The entire cast of FFX. x_x Mainly Yuna, Tidus, Lulu, and Rikku.
- Vash and Wolfwood. Otakon 2k1 was my first con, and I was just bowled over at how many of them there were.. ^^;
- Digi Charat, mostly Dejiko.
- Weiss boys, yeah. :D
- Rinoa. x_x *does not like Rinoa to start with..*
- I actually saw a lot of Hellsing at Otakon this year..
- Spike and Faye.. x_x I've seen so many Fayes..

But hey, if you like a character and their costume, go for it. ^_^ Personally I wouldn't be a Yuna or a Lulu because I'd just be one more in a sea of people cosplaying the same thing as me.. it's cool to see other people cosplaying as the same character as you, but if you see five more at every turn, it would drive me batty.

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Jibrelle, you make a valid point. I'm just saying from my POV it's simply that some cosplays are over done and half of them cosplayers do it because it's the 'in' anime or game at the time.

Jibrille
09-17-2002, 06:38 PM
yeah, dont mind me, i just took a thought and ran with it. ^^; lol

the soapbox part happened mainly cause its almost a sore subject within my group. ^^;;;

wow, i cant believe i forgot to ramble about people that cosplay a character cause its the 'in' anime thing... oh well... i'll save that for another time. hahahahaha

*smacks forhead* i have issues... days like this i shouldnt be allowed on the computer. lol ><

Yuna
09-17-2002, 06:41 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that FFX just came out and of course there's going ot an onslaught of people cosplaying it.

sailor-moon
09-17-2002, 06:47 PM
we need some sexy nuriko cosplayers::::::runs and hides::::

usagi

http://www.itsumademo.net/_misc/kagome.jpg

KuroBara
09-17-2002, 07:00 PM
*claps for Jibrille*

I agree with making a costume because you like it, not because it's trendy. I don't think the rarity of a costume figures into how good it is. If you want to dress up like Sailor Moon, then dress up like Sailor Moon! Wave to the ten other ones you'll see there, and take a group photo.

That being said ~ Otakon 2001 did feel like planet gunsmoke...

Koumori
09-17-2002, 07:04 PM

Hmm. I'm planning to have Dominique for next summer's con season. Maybe I should see if I can get some more together....

While I've seen a fair number of Tiduses this year, I do have to say that is NOT an easy costume to throw together... there's a *lot* of detail in that outfit. :) Still, I'm in the "do it cause you like it" camp. I'd rather see one really well-made costume with a lot of detail and love from the "overdone" list than a dozen rarer but poorly done costumes.

Oshi
09-17-2002, 07:13 PM
So far all I've done was lesser done cosplays. I like to be originalish ^_^ Kaze, Seifer, Rufus... I've only seen one Kaze, two Seifers... and I don't recall Rufus being done. Heheh.

And... OMG! KH COMMERCIAL JUST CAME ON! EYAARRGH!
..er, heheh... my bad... I don't watch much TV...

Chosuke
09-17-2002, 07:14 PM
The main costumes I see around now while looking at just con pics:

YUNA
Lulu
Rinoa <Blarg.>
Sailor scouts/sailor moon
Phantasy star
Squall

I have really no problem whatsoever with costumes being done over and over again,but it seem's that when you do see one of these popular outfits they are usually just looking like they were slapped together,or overall poorly done.
I'm not meaning to be insulting,but a multitude of the Tidus' Rinoa and Yuna costumes I see look like they were done with little or no thought.

Lillyxandra
09-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Yea Id have to say FFX is very popular for cosplayers right now. I foresee a lot of cosplay of: Chobits, Hellsing, FF online, and Gun Grave.^_____^The more the merrier!

Chosuke
09-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Well,all the Chobits costumes I have seen tend to be very beautiful and well done o.o;;..have yet to see a bad Chii,so I don't mind.

Haven't seen any hellsing though,cept one.

scandia
09-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Forgot to say that I have seen WAY too much DiGi Charat cosplay. Not so much of Dejiko, more of Puchiko, and WAY too much of La Vie en Rose.

isami
09-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I feel like there's a giant FFX overload, but it comes with the territory. I agree with Yuna. It just came out, so...
I do think that people should cosplay what they want, though. I'm doing Lina.. no one does her anymore, but there was a time when there was a slayers overload I think. I guess it kinda goes up and down. Reflects on society! Or not... Wee.

kelldar
09-17-2002, 08:34 PM

I did Rally for Otakon, and no one recognized me ><; kinda disappointing 'cause I really loved my wig XD oh well.

I have to second the Wolfwoods, as much as I love Wolfwood, there's just too many!! Utena was getting to that point, but it seems to have slacked off a bit in recent months...

Yuna
09-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Another thing! I'm ALL FOR Bad Wagon cosplay! It's hard for people who aren't really otakus to know anime that *isn't* over cosplayed. Besides, cosplay is ALL about fandom! WHo cares if there is a million Sailor Moons, or Yuna's or Vash's at a con! People are just expressing their love of the series and or character! Weee!

Everyone should jsut cosplay who they want without ANYONE telling them other wise! Cosplay is all about fandom! ^_^

Space Invader
09-17-2002, 08:36 PM
There are a ton of Trigun cosplayers (Vash and Wolfwood), but if you notice, not many of them are REALLY good. They're nice and all, but I have yet to see a REALLY AWESOME Vash or Wolfwood. My ex-boyfriend (who I might be going out with again very soon :razz:) has a Vash costume, and since costuming is "my bag", so to speak, I'm going to help him... err... EMBELLISH it. I'm trying to convince him to make it the manga version which is oh-so-much cooler than the anime, and it sure would stand out more in a crowd of Vash cosplayers.

Here is my list of overcosplaed characters, IMO:
~Sailor Moon (regular version - you never really see many super or eternal ones)
~Any senshi
~Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misato
~Yuna
~Lulu (very few GOOD ones, same w/ Yuna)
~The DiGi Charat girls (overcosplayed last year, this year there were fewer)
~Utena and Anthy
~The Magic Knight Rayearth girls in school uniform
~Cardcaptor Sakura in school uniform
~Vash and Wolfwood

I think that'a all that really stand out to me... but like Neitsche said, all costumes are fair game... just very rarely ever see a REALLY good one of the above listed...

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Only seen two types of Ayu cosplay. The lepord outfit and the red baby doll outfit from the 2000 tour i think it was...

Yuna
09-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Awww, you didn't see the "I Am..." costume from AX??

http://www.usagichan.com/AX2002/images/AX2002Thurs-255-1.JPG

Iori E
09-17-2002, 09:01 PM
Man, I am so doing Rinoa. That way, I can go as an "over-cosplayed" character and still be original. :D

Yeah, I see a whole lot of Final Fantasy characters (7, 8, and 10). Not to mention Kenshin and Trigun people.
It's actually kinda fun to see how different all of the cosplayers of the same character made their costumes. There's always a few unique qualities to each costume.

Yuna
09-17-2002, 09:05 PM
ANDY!!! You've become such a crossplayer!!! You'll have to wear Mature to the ani-magic KoF gathering XD

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Hey hey, Rabi~en~Rose is a goddess! :D There is a lot of Chobits popping up and it's ok. As for FF. Half of the FF cosplays I've seen, I'll bet you are just the 'in' thing. I want to wear my Vivi costume. I have played a bit of FF9 and I think he's a cute character.

Iori E
09-17-2002, 09:28 PM
That wasn't Mature! XP That was Kanako from Love Hina! But I've already retired that costume, since I had my hair cut.

I don't think I've ever seen a Barret or Cid from FF7. That'd be a nice change of pace.

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 09:33 PM
I am doing a Barrett Wallace cosplay at Animazement 2003.

Nietsche
09-17-2002, 09:49 PM
As Ranma costumes go it's the RED outfit that sees the most exposure.....might I suggest the cute black number with the cap with the red star on it and the red bows on the ankle?
I actually like that one and would probably do it at some point!
But I have loadsa other costumes I just wanna get done first!

Ranma Saotome
09-17-2002, 09:56 PM
As Ranma costumes go it's the RED outfit that sees the most exposure.....might I suggest the cute black number with the cap with the red star on it and the red bows on the ankle?
I actually like that one and would probably do it at some point!
But I have loadsa other costumes I just wanna get done first!

I do plan on doing a blue and silver Ranma cosplay soon. As for the red star Ranma, that only works if you you have an Akane or female Ranma with you. As for red bows onthe ankles... No such thing exists my friend.

Nietsche
09-17-2002, 10:08 PM
Actually have at least two pieces of Takahashi art that says such an outfit exists! Check 'The Art Of Ranma 1/2' published by viz

Himemiya
09-17-2002, 10:25 PM
my definition of overdone cosplay is when I see a picture or the cosplayer and my first thought is "Another ----". Not "what a nice costume" or "wow, they look really in character" ...

but on the same token, Its fun to be an overdone character!! ^_^ i was ranma-chan for Animazment 2002 and *everyone* recognized me ::dances:: I guess I don't do flashy enough costumes ^.^;;

*anyway* over-done stuff, but I still like to see it :D
Yuna
Vash
Suzaku no Miko
CCS, the pink and black kittygirl costume
Lum! o.o every skinny cos-girl does lum.

overdone cosplay that I'm not too fond of:
KERO-GIRL* (I have a looong story behind this. It's all an opinion thing, but I won't tramatize all the kero-girls with it -.-)
Mario* (Lately there's been an outbreak O.o)
Seramyu anything* (it's pretty, but its very shiny and scares me x.x)

Celine
09-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
Phantasy star

Really? Are you serious? Where is this abundance of PS cosplay? I've seen... 2 PSO cosplays, 1 Rika, 1 Alys, 3 Alises, and myself, spread out across various cons in the last two years. ^^ I've been saying since I started cosplaying that people need to do PS because there is practically *nobody*...

I completely agree with Yuna about these popular characters. I mean, I had some of the most fun ever going as Jessie from Pokemon- and there have been a bazillion Jessies. ^_^

There was a Barret this year at Otakon... hmm, there's even a Cid in the picture I got. They aren't the first ones I've seen to do those costumes, either. ^^ I've seen at least three Rufuses... http://meteo.rydia.net/cosplay/Otakon/Barret&Cid.JPG Hehe, if it's Final Fantasy, it's probably been done... except, maybe, Steiner. I'd love to see a Steiner.

HaloNoir
09-17-2002, 11:17 PM
I have seen a TON of Yunas, Vashes, and Lulus but I think its GREAT how everyone interprets them to suit their style! For instance... the design on Yuna's skirt and obi I have seen done 10-15 different ways! And on Vash too there are many combinations of fabrics and buttons/snaps that I have seen. Not to mention the different twists that are added to some cosplay costumes (crossplay, ghetto-style, etc). And the details (plushies, hair, props, etc) ALWAYS add a bit of flair! A character can be overdone but cosplays of that character can't!

Oshi
09-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Himemiya
Lum! o.o every skinny cos-girl does lum.
Aaannnd... .that's a bad thing? XD

3 Rufuses? Not bad. Still in my alley as a lesser cosplay
Hm... I need to try to find a pic of the Kaze I saw at Otakon...

Oh, and I must say the overdone male crossplay must be Dejiko...

Celine
09-18-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Oshi
Oh, and I must say the overdone male crossplay must be Dejiko...
Eee, I'd give the award to the male Sailor scouts, personally. ^_^ They've been around forever and never seem to stop.

Iori E
09-18-2002, 12:33 AM
I don't want to say anything bad about cosplayers, since many of them take their hobby seriously and are happy about it. But I have seen some male Sailor Scouts who made me want to scream out in horror...

Kamui Motoaki
09-18-2002, 12:43 AM
OM GOM GOMGOMG OMGOMG!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!
CASSANDRA!!!! YOU COSPLAYED AS IRENE "RALLY" VINCENT?!?!?!?!

i have only seen one cosplay. .and i'm guessing its you?
Cause every person has thier "anime babe" . . Mine is Rally from GSC. . and Motoko Kusanagi. .

but yea. . I LOVE YOU!!!! RALLY RULES!!! RALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! ^_^

Keurblitz
09-18-2002, 01:10 AM
*sniff sniff* I have these costumes planned out already....
Inu Yasha, Omi from Weiss Kreuz and Shuichi from Gravitation.... I kno I kno, they're quite popular but I can't help it, I luv those characters, they're so cute and cudly in their own way =) Watch me spend $$$$$$$$ on these 3 costumes.... :hafha:

AngelYuki
09-18-2002, 02:57 AM
First off Aeva, speaking as a Gravi cosplayer (and happily probobly one of the origonal Yuki's), great quote. Second off, my list is really rather nonexistant. Like Jubrille-sama said, If you like a costume you should do it, weather it's overdone or not or if someone has done it or wants to do it. Cosplaying isn't about steaping on toes it's about having fun doing something you like. Now with that said a "list" is coming forwith.

Vash
Wolfwood
FFX (Because it's new)
An up and comming one (though never a bad thing)
Shonen-ai of most sorts.
Beldandy
Van
Faye
Spike

Then again most of them are overused anyway, I could go on. Besides, what does it matter, we're all out to have fun anyway.

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Celine
There was a Barret this year at Otakon... hmm, there's even a Cid in the picture I got. They aren't the first ones I've seen to do those costumes, either. ^^ I've seen at least three Rufuses... http://meteo.rydia.net/cosplay/Otakon/Barret&Cid.JPG

The gunarm looks a bit too big... Hmm...

makio
09-18-2002, 04:16 AM
With the exception of Cid Highwind and possibly Kyo Kusanagi, I really don't think I've cosplayed anyone "overdone" or "mainstream" ...but I'm not exactly offended when I see it or see someone with the same costume at a convention; especially if they've got just as good or better costume! Hell, I'm happy just seeing a fellow fan of the same series I'm into! :D I'm quite amazed at the pop-ups of "War of Genesis 3" cosplayers here and there; since I didn't think the series was well known domestically.

To answer the topic though, I've only seen the following costumes in high numbers here in the southeast:

Vash, Nick Wolfwood, Sailor Moon-Anything, DragonBall Z-anything, Ranma-Anyone, Yuna, Lulu, Squall, "Random Japanese School Girl" (from Hitomi to Sakura!), Cid(FF7), Morrigan/Lilith, Ryu/Ken(SF), Rinoa, Kyo (Dir en Grey & KOF!), White Mage (FF1), Spike, Faye, Ed, Shinji, Link, Utena.

And of course, expect an explosion of "Kingdom Hearts" version cosplayers in late 2002/early 2003. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised with Phantasy Star and Onimusha2 cosplayers though...

katrinastrife
09-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Hmm...

I dunno if it's the over-cosplaying of characters that bugs me... it's the obvious laziness that some people have in putting together costumes! I know, there are beginners... but sometimes, I wish that people would put a little more effort into it!

[quote]I don't think I've ever seen a Barret or Cid from FF7.[quote]

At AFO2 (last year, 2001) there was a REALLY good Cid cosplayer... http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/animefestival2001/04/source/afo20181.shtml

Aside from that, overcosplayed stuff?

-- Asuka's yellow dress
-- Plainclothes Shinji
-- Random Schoolgirls (WITHOUT pleated skirts! ><*)
-- Sailor Moon
-- Magic Knights
-- DB/Z/GT (I'm guilty of this =()
-- Final Fantasy
-- DDR Characters

But, again, most people have their own personality... and they're having fun, which is a good thing. Win/Win, ne?

Cassandra
09-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Kamui Motoaki
OM GOM GOMGOMG OMGOMG!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!
CASSANDRA!!!! YOU COSPLAYED AS IRENE "RALLY" VINCENT?!?!?!?!

i have only seen one cosplay. .and i'm guessing its you?
Cause every person has thier "anime babe" . . Mine is Rally from GSC. . and Motoko Kusanagi. .

but yea. . I LOVE YOU!!!! RALLY RULES!!! RALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! ^_^

*giggle* Yeah, it was for Otakon 2K.
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/anime/otakon2000/medium/dcp_0438.jpg
I thought more people would recognize me since GSC seems to be on a lot of people's favorite list....unfortunately, this is the only pic of me in my costume.

The Metric Ruler
09-18-2002, 09:56 AM
The sad thing is out of all of these overcosplayed series, you rarely see more than three or four outstanding costumes.

It sucks that I didn't get to perfect my Auron before I wore it to Otakon but it didn't matter in the end because all people saw was the crazy "cataract" contact and huge sword. :(

Kamui Motoaki
09-18-2002, 10:05 AM
oh man!
next time you should do the GSC Leather jackt one. .
oh yea .. did you carry her "special CZ-75?" cause i would Hail you and give you super mad props if you did . .^_^

Cassandra
09-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Nah, I couldn't find any good toy guns so I just got one that had the holster and didn't look like a cowboy gun ;) It didn't come out too bad since I put it together in 2 days :thumbsup:

Nyoko
09-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Trigun
FFX
oO I just saw to many, never wanna see anymore characters from those seres cosplayed for I LONG time.... So sick of seeing LuLu EVERYWHERE!!!.....Ok Im good now not to worry...^^

Oshi
09-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Nah, I couldn't find any good toy guns
When in doubt... NINTENDO LIGHTGUN! ^_^

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 01:46 PM
I have never seen thatmany Lillith/Morrigan cosplays. As for plainclothes Shinji, I'm guilty of that. I'll prolly do that cosplay again once more and retire it.

aeva
09-18-2002, 03:55 PM
I must say one last thing.... no male crossplaying can be overdone. I don't know... maybe its a fetish or something. but I think its really awesoem when guys go out and put on a dress. ^^ Ish fun to break sterotypes... I'm glad some guys do it. [I'm actually trying to get my friend to do Noriko from Gravitation XD]

And the random schoolgirl outfits are a bit annoying. If you're going to do one, at least make it more *oirignal*.... put some of your own style in it. I ahte when people just throw on a skirt and knee-highs and say "Lookie at me!" My friend and I were both guilty for doing school-girl like outfits, but we really wanted to break a pattern - she did Yuni from DDR 4th Mix and I just... overdid the smut level. And donned my beloved loose socks. ^____^

....I'm babbling again. >.@

Farfarello
09-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Hmm... I've seen a lot a lot alot and I mean a lot of Yuna's out there. A few Weiss boys... *Pouts* I'm still going as Farfarello.

Kurenai
09-18-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm surprised, nobody's mentioned moogles yet. I guess that goes in with the FF bandwagon. And yes, I'm guilty of moogleing myself ^_^ And I don't care, it's just fun to go around and be like "I get to wear cute fuzzy white clothing and I have a deedlybop on my head! Kupo!"

Kamui Motoaki
09-18-2002, 05:18 PM
didn't they have a Million Moggle march or something ? *-*

KuroBara
09-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Any costume that is little more than an excuse to wear your underwear in public has to go! There's so many furry bikini catgirls at cons, and then they complain about all the perverts. >_<

>I'm surprised, nobody's mentioned moogles yet. I guess that goes in with the FF bandwagon. And yes, I'm guilty of moogleing myself ^_^ And I don't care, it's just fun to go around and be like "I get to wear cute fuzzy white clothing and I have a deedlybop on my head! Kupo!"

Lol, I'm kind of doing that for Halloween. I'm going as Helen from MacHall (http://machall.com/index.php?strip_id=89) in her Halloween costume, which happens to be a moogle deedlybop outfit. ^_^

Sami
09-18-2002, 06:28 PM
LOL, I love the word "deedlybop"! :D *says it over and over!* DEEDLYBOP!! Hahahaaaa!

Ahh.. uhm.. heheh. I agree with the lovely skimpy costumes, especially if they're not even a character's costume, just some der that felt like showing up baring all. *twitch*... no offense, but I really don't wanna see that. >_<

aeva
09-18-2002, 06:52 PM
XD On the contrary, I LIKE seing the skantily clad cat-girls. Really.... no problems here! ^.~

Cait
09-18-2002, 07:56 PM
I'd say...

Eva school uniform
Ranma
Chobits
Yuna
Wolfwood

....take the cake. I knew.. knew that it would be overdose on Yuna for AX and I still went though with it! I'm a fool. I happen to love the Vash's. It's not that simple a costume! And most of the Vash cosplayers are very sexy... where as any bum with a sheet on a carboard frame covered in electrical tape, a suit, black hair, a cigarette, and maybe some sun glasses is Wolfwood.

There was actually a table at AX selling Ranma and Eva outfits. >_<

Doing rare characters from series I love, now. Most people who haven't memorized the series won't have a clue who I am come next con season.

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by aeva
XD On the contrary, I LIKE seing the skantily clad cat-girls. Really.... no problems here! ^.~

That makes 2 of us. :D

Sami
09-18-2002, 10:33 PM
I could understand if their bodies were.. uhh.. "suited" to wear that kind of outfit, but when people that wear skimpy things really shouldn't be wearing skimpy things.. erm.. that's what I meant. ^^;;;; Yeah. *ducks out*

Cait, I saw a table like that at Otakon.. I think they were selling the Eva school jumpers? x_x *fuzzy memory*

Jezeroth
09-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Some characters which are not "overdone" have been jotted off my list due to having been "perfectly done", like, say, Kuja, after seeing Michi's wonderful outfit.

I agree, I like how Michi looks and portrays Kuja (Didn't Justin make it?), but until I see someone make it out of the actual metal plates, the REAL violet velvet, and have the PERFECT (although that damn wig seems to change color in every FMV >_<; ) wig that is LAYERED, and has the ice blue colored contacts, then I'll be happy (and tie them up and carry them home to look good on my mantle :P)

Ever seen Mel's Lulu? ::dies::

"I don't remember that many moogles... maybe one or two... maybe I didn't realize it was supposed to be a moogle. LOL. Did anyone actually cosplay a moogle?? The way they are supposed to be? (Big fluffy and cute)"

Hai, it was actually my first costume... ^_^
http://66.34.113.127/pics/4595.jpg

Kamui, go away, you suck. :P And again, congrats on your Judges Craftsmanship award at AXNY.

Oshi
09-18-2002, 10:55 PM
HEH! That Moogle was you? Nice, nice... heheh... I can't help but laugh at that full-body stuff, it just seems so... yeah =P
Originally posted by Jezeroth
Kamui, go away, you suck. :P
He sucks, but you give him an award. Riiight... LoL

aeva, Ranma: Make that three of us. ;D

Kamui Motoaki
09-18-2002, 10:57 PM

Kamui, go away, you suck. :P And again, congrats on your Judges Craftsmanship award at AXNY.

uh. . . *cries* that was random. . but thank you Jesse for the award. .. *hugs and tears*

i'm soo confused. .am i supposed to be happy or sad?
LoL ^_^

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 11:25 PM
aeva, Ranma: Make that three of us. ;D

Hey, what I do? :D

Oshi
09-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Liking scantily-clad catgirls, etc *points above* XD

Ranma Saotome
09-18-2002, 11:43 PM
Liking scantily-clad catgirls, etc *points above* XD

*grins from ear to ear* :D

Galaxia
09-19-2002, 12:26 AM
I'm starting to see a lot of Cowboy Bebop's Ed around too.

Really? In looking at some pics from AXNY/BAAF there were only like 2 Eds (with me being one of them ^^; ).

But yeah, I gotta go with almost everyone with Vash & Wolfwood being overdone. I was in Baltimore the weekend of Otakon 2002 and I couldn't get over how many Vashes and Wolfwoods there were walking around the Inner Harbor O__o;

hoshikage
09-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Hmm, my first post on this forum... am I moving up in the world? ;)

I agree, I like how Michi looks and portrays Kuja (Didn't Justin make it?), but until I see someone make it out of the actual metal plates, the REAL violet velvet, and have the PERFECT (although that damn wig seems to change color in every FMV >_<; ) wig that is LAYERED, and has the ice blue colored contacts, then I'll be happy (and tie them up and carry them home to look good on my mantle :P)[/B]

Velvet, huh? I think I may disagree with you on what kind of fabric is ideal for Kuja's armor. But each to their own, right? ^_^ Someday I really do want to make a Kuja costume... though not for myself, actually. I've even got the fabric for it... it was insanely hard to find fabric that had some shine to it and was dark purple instead of "Crayola" purple! Sheesh! Oh well... hopefully I'll be taking it, when finished, to a con where I can ask your opinion on the finished product, O Wise Judge... ;)

Hai, it was actually my first costume... ^_^
http://66.34.113.127/pics/4595.jpg

Hey... was that at Otakon 2001? I think I remember this costume...

And as for overdone cosplays, I would like to say that even an overdone character, if done really well, will make people sit up and take notice. Another way to do it is to try doing things in a slightly different way, to get a different take on the character and make yourself stand out. It is possible to be set apart from the crowd, even in an "overdone" costume. Usually, I like to do obscure characters myself, but it does feel a bit disappointing sometimes when no one knows who you are or wants your picture because they don't recognize you. When I wear my White Mage, at least everyone knows who I am, even if they do argue with me about which Final Fantasy game I'm from! ^_^;;

--Starshadow, who's rambling. Bad habit.

Hikaru Tsuki
09-19-2002, 12:54 AM
I found for a while, Duo Maxwell was WAY over done, but now you hardly see any. Give a few months and Lulu and Yuna cosplayers will become more rare. Over-dones are usually due to fads, or just because the series is more popular (IE Sailor Moon).

I'm noticing Hikaru from Angelic Layer is becoming an over-done costume. A shame, really.

But if you want to cosplay a character, but you feel they're overdone, it's not a bad thing. If you can make the costume stand out and be unique, people will give you a lot more credit.

Ranma Saotome
09-19-2002, 01:49 AM
Yeah well, no matter how overdone Ranma Saotome becomes, you will have to killme to stop me! :D

Jezeroth
09-19-2002, 03:13 AM
"hopefully I'll be taking it, when finished, to a con where I can ask your opinion on the finished product, O Wise Judge... ;) "

!!!!!!!!! Of course, one of my favorite costumes from AXNY doesn't even let on know who she is until I poke around her web site. ^_^;; ::glomps her:: Wonderful job, ladies. Simple great work. I'm so glad the whole experience was so enjoyable (The awards, the CNN encounter, etc..) I would look forward to simply relaxing (not something I usually do at Cons >_<;;) and hanging out with you at future cons. I was asked to judge at AX in California, but I'm going to beg them to let me judge the following year because I would like to compete once at AX. But as for Kuja.. Ideally, I thought the fabric was a violet suede, but I'd prefer it in Velvet (at least for my costume ^_^;;) (I make odd fabric choices, E.I. Black vinyl for Sephiroth and Pressed High-Quality Felt for Seymour, but I take into account A) how easily it is manipulated B) How it will look on stage C) How it will look for judging. Besides, anyone who walks up to me at a Con and says, "God, your costume is all wrong!", I'm going to be somewhat inclined to pretend I didn't notice their existence... -_-;;;) Anyway, I digress:(Yes, I'm a horrible offender at rambling as well) I'm going to be doing a Kuja costume for Neko-con (I mean, why not. He's got that sultry evil-and-got-the-hips-to-prove-it attitude, and I'd actually like to wear a costume I can move in, for once. >_<; Not to mention, I have the bodytype, so hopefully, it will work well...)

"Hey... was that at Otakon 2001? I think I remember this costume..."

Yes, it was. I started Cosplaying about a year ago (I know, I'm newer then most think to the scene), but since then, I've been to 10 Cons, done almost 40 different costumes (for myself and others), and I'm having a blast doing so....meeting fantastic people, learning, and having the opportunity to perform. ^_^

Jinx
09-19-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by KuroBaraDuelist
*claps for Jibrille*

I agree with making a costume because you like it, not because it's trendy. I don't think the rarity of a costume figures into how good it is. If you want to dress up like Sailor Moon, then dress up like Sailor Moon! Wave to the ten other ones you'll see there, and take a group photo.

That being said ~ Otakon 2001 did feel like planet gunsmoke...

I'm a bit put off by so many of the same costumes.... I was so surprised there were so many Lulus, with it being such a difficult costume and all. I wanted to cosplay her when I saw her, but now I'm not so sure...

... but then again, the challange to that is to make it unique or different from other Lulus.. or try to be as accurate as possible.

I'm sure the reason why a lot of these easy to do characters are in abundance because their good costumes to start with... Rinoa was my first, but I'm sick of seeing them too. >_<

Ranma Saotome
09-19-2002, 04:00 AM
Besides, anyone who walks up to me at a Con and says, "God, your costume is all wrong!"

Who in thier right friggin mind would actually say that at a con?! Doesn't that person realize that they will be severely beaten with a chair? :skidude2:

Jinx
09-19-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Kurenai
I'm surprised, nobody's mentioned moogles yet. I guess that goes in with the FF bandwagon. And yes, I'm guilty of moogleing myself ^_^ And I don't care, it's just fun to go around and be like "I get to wear cute fuzzy white clothing and I have a deedlybop on my head! Kupo!"

I think moogle and catgirl costumes are ok.. moogles are a must for FF fans, and catgirls are.. well, a must. And they can be comepletely original and done almost any way...

katrinastrife
09-19-2002, 05:19 AM
And donned my beloved loose socks. ^____^

LOOSE SOCKS! I bought a sera-fuku here in Japan, and I HAD to get loose socks. They're soooo cool! I just wish they had more of a color selection--rather, any colour selection at all!

^^*

Everyone here wears them, I swear... except at private schools--most of the time they're against the dress code ><* Like at my school...

Catgirls? Well... As long as they don't make my eyes bleed, or whatever, I guess they're OK. I'd never do one tho... ;.; Too much skin...

I'm too self concious. And shy after I got followed around as Star Fighter... Well, rather, had some DEFINITLY not anime fans try to take my picture... ><*

Celine
09-19-2002, 11:16 AM
I doubt there can ever be a perfect cosplay, for exactly this reason! Everyone looks for different things. I mean, if you want to stay totally faithful to the original design, Michi's Kuja had the wrong boots. However, from an aesthetic perpective, I thought the boots she did use were awesome and very flattering. There's no real point in worrying about it, because there isn't such thing as a perfect cosplay, so you should never discourage someone to do a costume because you've seen someone else do a really good job on it. ^^

Hikaruchan
09-19-2002, 04:16 PM
I was thinking about doing a Lulu costume, but have put that on a backburner for now as there are just too many. Maybe in a year or two.

Overdone cosplays
Lina Inverse TV outfit (like to see the movie & OVA outfits instead)Yuna & Lulu
Sailor Moon & Mars
Anthy rosebride
dueling Utena
main DBZ guys
Vash & Wolfwoods (but the Vashes are usually well done, while welldone Wolfwoods are rarer)
Chii is about to overdone

Off the overdone list - as seen less this year so far
Kenshin
Sailor Mercury, Venus
Miaka school outfit
Angel Sanctuary
Rayearth

scandia
09-19-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't think anyone from MKR is overdone. I have not even seen those many people from it more than once in the same outfit.

However, there were 2 Emeraudes including me at Shoujocon. G-chan did a great job but I am still possessive.

Jezeroth
09-19-2002, 05:05 PM
"However, there were 2 Emeraudes including me at Shoujocon. G-chan did a great job but I am still possessive."

Hai, I agree, I liked both of your costumes. My costume was blah at Shoujo's Masquerade... our skit focused on presentation rather then the costumes. ^_^;;

Hikaruchan, I can't wait to see what you're going to make for Animazement 2003! Your Rose of Versailles and the Green dress with the Precious stones was very well done, and I enjoyed them very much. ^_^

Nietsche
09-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Actaully been thinkign about FY and wonderignthat there are plentiful Miaka (Miko and school), Tamahome (almost all his chinese costumes), Yui (Miko and school), Chichiri, Tasuki and Hotohori....
Like to see other Seishi around...especially the Seiryuu lot...I only managed to find 2 others at Otakon 2000 a Tomo and a Soi...need to get the others...although I might give Miboshi and Ashitare a miss...
Tokaki, Subaru, Tatara and their Miko would be nice to see too

I have planned a youthful Tokaki outfit for Ayacon this year...but would like to reprise my role as Suboshi (I am a fan of his seiyuu- Ueda Yuuji) or Amiboshi at some point!

Farfarello
09-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Hmm, well with my Farfarello costume, I'm trying to be as close to the orginal as I possible can, but with the bandages that are on his arms, I kinda wanted them to be falling apart, like the pic of Angel Sanctuary's DVD.

Speaking of Angel Sanctuary, I've been thinking about doing Kira's outfit from it. He's my fave chara

Mink
09-19-2002, 10:20 PM
I just see a great deal of FF characters....but they are always done well so thats good to see.

I think as long as they are good, I never really mind if a character is repatative....althought the 5 fayes we had at AX kinda got to me.....

Ranma Saotome
09-19-2002, 10:52 PM
lol, not enough Fayes for me! :D

diqitaldreams
09-20-2002, 12:21 AM
I like Lulu... /).(\;; .. don't hurt me. I'm going to cosplay as Lulu for Otakon 2k3...and I'm afraid that I'll be mobbed by people who dislike my cosplaying as Lulu. Then again...x_x There were a lot of FFX people there...::scratches head:: xO So yeah.

Koumori
09-20-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by diqitaldreams
I like Lulu... /).(\;; .. don't hurt me. I'm going to cosplay as Lulu for Otakon 2k3...and I'm afraid that I'll be mobbed by people who dislike my cosplaying as Lulu. Then again...x_x There were a lot of FFX people there...::scratches head:: xO So yeah.

Hey, I saw a really cute photo from, I think, last year's Otakon of six or eight people all dressed as Lulu.. I think we captioned it "Army of Lulu," and it was a hoot.

Anybody who mobs you because they don't like what you're wearing deserves a swift kick in the shins. Wear pointy toes.

KuroBara
09-20-2002, 09:31 AM
>Anybody who mobs you because they don't like what you're wearing deserves a swift kick in the shins. Wear pointy toes.

*borrows Rosiel's metal Ramirez shoes for the next con*

mwa-ha-ha, bring it!

>Actaully been thinkign about FY and wonderignthat there are plentiful Miaka (Miko and school), Tamahome (almost all his chinese costumes), Yui (Miko and school), Chichiri, Tasuki and Hotohori....
Like to see other Seishi around...especially the Seiryuu lot...I only managed to find 2 others at Otakon 2000 a Tomo and a Soi...need to get the others...although I might give Miboshi and Ashitare a miss...
Tokaki, Subaru, Tatara and their Miko would be nice to see too

The genbu seishi would be original, you really don't see those. As far as Seiryuu, Suboshi is the most common, I've never seen Ashitare. Otakon's Tomo was great! And, I think there were 2 of them. Miboshi...eh...not so much. You could always make him into a plushie ^_^

Rosiel
09-20-2002, 09:51 AM
If someone organized a Genbu group, I would offer myself as Tatara. ^____^ I love the bloke, he made me cry up a river when I first saw Fushigi Yuugi. And I'd love to make the vines he uses to fight... I always wanted to do Youko Kurama because of that same attack, but there are /so/ many. X___X

And Farf, you're an AS fan too? Maybe you could join the group we're trying to put together for AX. We got 16 characters last year and we are aiming for more this year.

Unfortunately, we already have a Lucifer lined up... ;___; but if you want to do another character you're welcome to join us. (I think we have a thread on this in the AX forum)

digikoomi
09-20-2002, 09:56 AM
yea~ why not people bring up more new character and series from Japan? like Hikaru no go, prince tennise, Fruits Basket, Naruto, Shaman king.....those seems not many people like to cos, but in asian is everywhere. come on, guys. bring up more idea, no FF again~ and yes, no more sailormoon....that's such old show though >_<

Nietsche
09-20-2002, 11:11 AM
That's it Rosiel you offered yourself as Tatara....although he is Byakko and not Genbu but I'm sure it was just a mental mixup!

I am gonna do Tokaki cos he's grown on me! and yeah that Tatara scene also brought up a well of emotion in me too.
(Guys cry too ya know!)

And I have a friend who may do Subaru for Otakon! If only there were something drawn around the other 4 Byakko Seishi..even if they were like fleeting glimpses or flashbacks...I'd like to have seen designs for Toroki, Amefuri, Kokie and Kagasuki...

And Rosiel you say you would liek to cosplay charcters that use vine attacks? I'll wait with baited breath for your Josef Joestar cosplay LOL!! J/K

Nietsche
09-20-2002, 11:31 AM
yea~ why not people bring up more new character and series from Japan? like Hikaru no go, prince tennise, Fruits Basket, Naruto, Shaman king.....those seems not many people like to cos, but in asian is everywhere. come on, guys. bring up more idea, no FF again~ and yes, no more sailormoon....that's such old show though >_<

Digikooma...Both Fruits Basket and Naruto ARE popular cosplays at cons also! Shaman King and Hikaru no Go are fast buildign up popularity too so expect to see more from all four seires!
If ya look through fansview you'll find these shows are cosplayed!

As for new stuff..I cosplayed Jing from King of Bandits Jing, ya can't get more new than that! And I have cosplayed Fruits Basket too...and havebeen looking into Hikaru cosplay but not sure which costume to go for...

And for Rosiel- Hehe....Tomite was in my cosplay list for a long long time now...

HuongStar
09-20-2002, 01:53 PM
I had a girl proclaim that she was going to throw mud on my costume because I was going to cosplay as Lulu (thankfully she didn't) but it's stupid how ardent some people are against "overdone" cosplay.

I love the art for King of Bandits; I have the artbook and some of the designs are really interesting. ^_^

diqitaldreams
09-20-2002, 01:56 PM
If she did that, she would die before she could throw it. :/ ... ::dangerous when provoked:: Those types of people sicken me.. @_@ Maybe I should go as a bodyguard instead. xD Anyone want to hire me?

Hikaruchan
09-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Yeah, the only look at Genbu no Miko Takiko wasn't a close shot. Only know she had long dark hair and wore traditional outfit.
http://home.earthlink.net/~daikun/Genbu.html
has screencap of only image remember being shown of her.

I have only seen 1 Hikitsu cosplayer, 2 Tomite and no Tatara or Tokaki. Subaru is the only one of the 2 groups that has had any real cosplay action.

Hikaruchan
09-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Mentioning Ashitare and Miboshi - seen them both done but rarely

Ashitare was at Animazement in 2000
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/8848/azpg2.html
3 row on the right

Miboshi was at Anime Central 2000
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/8848/acpg1.html
4th row, second pic sitting in middle of stage

Nietsche
09-20-2002, 02:19 PM
I have only seen 1 Hikitsu cosplayer, 2 Tomite and no Tatara or Tokaki. Subaru is the only one of the 2 groups that has had any real cosplay action.

Yup...that just about wraps up the ones I've seen cosplayed
The trouble with Tokaki is that you really need a good back shot of what his costume looks like and how the blue half tunic wraps over the back because it seems to loop around at the waist! If I were to guess how it goes then I would just make it like the front.

Rosiel
09-20-2002, 02:23 PM
I always wished I was taller and could off Nakago. (I'd probably need to be a man too now that I think about it, he's not girly in the slightest! LOL)

He's such an /amazing/ villain. ^___^

And I love villains/anti-heroes, but I guess it would be evident from my choice of cosplays...

Farfarello
09-20-2002, 02:24 PM
And Farf, you're an AS fan too? Maybe you could join the group we're trying to put together for AX. We got 16 characters last year and we are aiming for more this year.

Yes I am and proud of it. That was the first kind of anime that I've seen and well... it was differnt but good. I think I have this weird thing with angels and demons, I love them. They're so cool:thumbsup:

diqitaldreams
09-20-2002, 03:08 PM

I need a bodyguard! LOL

^_^ Whee! For otakon, I'm going to make bands that say Cosplay BodyGuards for hire. xD When I'm cosplaying as Aya Fujimiya. :skidude2:

Rosiel
09-20-2002, 03:14 PM
> When I'm cosplaying as Aya Fujimiya.

Would I still be able to talk you into being my bodyguard if I wore my Schuldig costume? >__>

LOL

diqitaldreams
09-20-2002, 03:30 PM
> When I'm cosplaying as Aya Fujimiya.

Would I still be able to talk you into being my bodyguard if I wore my Schuldig costume? >__>

LOL

Yaoi fangirls are going to be all over the place. @_@;; .. we can fall victim to them...and their mob. :thumbsup:

Ranma Saotome
09-20-2002, 11:32 PM
It seems that this link may be of some interest only because this person mentioned Fan Service- http://members.asprings.net/~dezychan/shoujo12.htm

Rosiel
09-21-2002, 12:37 AM
> Yaoi fangirls are going to be all over the place. @_@;; .. we can fall victim to them...and their mob.

I can't wait until Katsu. We have a Weiss & Swartz groups with cosplayers that actually look like the characters... LOL I wonder if we'll get mobbed... I'll probably have to defend Brad, he will get mowed down by girls.

Shoo! Shoo! Mein! Mein!

LOL

Farfarello
09-21-2002, 03:51 AM
*Pouts* Too bad I can't go to any other cons other then Anime Expo *Sigh* The life of a broke college student.

Forgot to mention this in my last post, I would love to join your AS cosplay group Rosiel as Kira, but I can't decide which outfit to go in.

KuroBara
09-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Ooh, I'm late. *sighs* If my cosplay list weren't so full, I'd love to do Suzuno. Byakko no miko and Tatara...what a sweet scene!

It's nice to see some male FY fans, nearly all of the seishi cosplayers are girls. They do a great job, it's just, I'd really like to see a fantastic male Hotohori.

Rosiel
09-21-2002, 10:58 AM
> Byakko no miko and Tatara...what a sweet scene!

Yup. To me they are THE greatest romance in Fushigi Yuugi. Move over Tamahome, waiting out your whole lives to be reunited, now THAT is romance at its sappiest! *_____*

> If my cosplay list weren't so full, I'd love to do Suzuno.

*sniff* ;_____;
Maybe I can ship my Fushigi Yuugi tapes to Katan and she will agree to do it... I have to admit my cosplay list is /insane/ at the moment. I need to sit down and schedule all of my 2003 cons..

I wonder is ANYONE would recognize Tatara and Suzuno... ;___;

diqitaldreams
09-21-2002, 12:27 PM
Tatara and Suzuno make so much more sense than Tamahome and Miaka. @_@ then again, I might just hate Tamahome.. ::innocent grin;:

Nietsche
09-21-2002, 06:32 PM
I must admit two scenes really did make me cry...The Nuriko scene and Suzuno Tatara reunion. I think if ya had Subaru and Tokaki then people would recognise it. Rosiel-We need to agree on a convention to schedule this for and maybe plan ahead even better..cos that mis-timing at AX was quite unfortunate.

And support goes to Suzuno and Tatara, their romance exceeds most others in the series.

Cyber Wolf
09-21-2002, 06:45 PM
Hmm, I don't think anyone mentioned this earlier but tell me if I'm wrong...

One bad thing about overdone cosplays, I think, would be running into someone who had the same costume as yours...only they did it a whole lot better '_';;; It never happened to me but I guess it would be pretty disheartening to some. ^^;;;

Koumori
09-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by digikoomi

I wear what I like. :P

aeva
09-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Cyber Wolf
One bad thing about overdone cosplays, I think, would be running into someone who had the same costume as yours...only they did it a whole lot better '_';;; It never happened to me but I guess it would be pretty disheartening to some. ^^;;;

It's not fun. x.X Massive Chobits group @ AXNY = eeeeep. I was put to shame by a Sumomo with a better leotard. -.-;;;;;;

Cat Scratch
09-21-2002, 09:22 PM
SAILOR SCOUTS!!! Way too many of them. That's why I'm making a saterical costume of it. If you can't destroy them make fun of them. (Evil Snicker) Actually, to tell you the truth I really don't feel that there is such a thing as too many of any costume as long as the people who made them like to wear them. I mean there are how many Lulus at any given con and are any of them exactly alike? No. People use differen't materials, different colors, and even have different facial and body charecteristics. As long as they really like the charecter/costume and can pull it off I don't mind there being a lot of them. I like to see the different ways people come up with to create a costume.
I did a Carmila costume from VHD:Bloodlust. Granted that charecter isn't over done(YET) and it isn't the easiest costume in the world but I know of at least two other people who have done the same costume and none of them look alike. We all took a different aprouch to how we constructed it an what we made it out of. They all look different but the key details that make Carmila Carmila are there and each one is wonderful and beautiful in it's own right.
Basicly, yes I would like a little more veriety in costuming at the cons but if people really want to dress up as Lulu, Vash, Sailor Moon, or whoever else is the most popular they should do it. Noone should feel that they can't do a costume just because a lot of people have done it before. I say," Lighten up and enjoy the veiw. It could be worse... every one could be dressed as Barny."

sailor-moon
09-21-2002, 11:04 PM
ok, so sailor senshi cosplay may be overdone, but seriously, how often do you actually see GOOD sailor moon cosplay, doesnt happen a lot.

usagi

Tenshi
09-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
ok, so sailor senshi cosplay may be overdone, but seriously, how often do you actually see GOOD sailor moon cosplay, doesnt happen a lot.

usagi
That is SO true. . .sailor senshi fuku are a LOT more difficult than they look.

diqitaldreams
09-21-2002, 11:57 PM
O.o; you know what's disturbing? Two sailor scouts grinding on the dance floor at the otakon rave. x_x;; .. ::was thinking WRONG thoughts::

Oshi
09-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Ohh yeah.. I remember that ~_~

diqitaldreams
09-22-2002, 12:53 AM
xD So I wasn't alone when I saw it and found it disturbing?! ::cackle::

Ranma Saotome
09-22-2002, 01:06 AM
Two Sailor Scouts grinding?! Sweet! How can that be disturbing? *hentai gears go into full swing*

diqitaldreams
09-22-2002, 01:33 AM
xD Hentai!! ::pointpointpoint:: o.o actually, I'm kind of a perv too...so yah ^^;;;

Keurblitz
09-22-2002, 01:43 AM
and to think that you were into that stuff

diqitaldreams
09-22-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Keurblitz
and to think that you were into that stuff

...urusei onna!!! x_x;

Keurblitz
09-22-2002, 01:46 AM

...urusei onna!!! x_x;

=P

Hikaruchan
09-22-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Cyber Wolf
Hmm, I don't think anyone mentioned this earlier but tell me if I'm wrong...

This reminds me of AWA 1999 I think. There were 3 Amelias from Slayers. One of them was talking nasty about another one, but it was totally sour grapes as the other costumer had a way better costume. I like Slayers and usually take pics of everyone I see, but I skipped the sourpuss as she totally ruined herself with the attitude.

Hikaruchan
09-22-2002, 02:57 AM
My sis and I are Byakko fans too. She has done Subaru. I had thought about Byakko no Miko but only thing did was get a big stuffed white tiger as my prop Byakko. Just don't think anyone would recognize it, might have a chance if my sis did Subaru again but not likely.

scandia
09-22-2002, 07:43 AM
My Emeraude costume and G-chan's looked pretty different, even though they were both the pink manga version. She made her breastplate out of sculpy and spray-painted it, while mine was made of fabric (I upgraded it but it is still fabric with paper underneath). Mine had strings of pearls while hers did not. And I think her sleeves were not attached while mine were. Plus her shawl was fuchsia and mine was the same pink shade as the dress. And I think her circlet also involved sculpy or plastic jewels while mine was ribbon and fabric. She wore a long blonde wig, I just wore my regular mid-back length wavy jet-black hair. Finally, she had a Mokona plushie while I had a Zagato plushie and some live white lilies that smelled sweet. I did get jealous and possessive, but was nice to her, since I do unto others what I wish done unto me.

Rosiel
09-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Speaking of same costumes/characters, you know what's really bad? Being snubbed by someone dressed as the same character or from the same series.

Seriously, I remember going up to this Rosiel cosplayer, because I lost my friends and thought "Hey she must like AS, we could talk for a while". Her costume was really ghetto, but you could tell what it was supposed to be. So I went up to her in my costume, said hello and she just turned her back on me and walked away. O_O

I had the same problem with another AS group. They just took one look at me, turned around and walked away. This time I might not have been in Rosiel though. (can't remember)

I've also seen people from the same series hovering, staring, then looking away when I tried to make eye-contact, and never coming up to say hello. I don't get it. O_O

But anyway... to this day I don't know what I did wrong. Probably the "two women wearing the same dress at a party" routine, but seriously it happened to me before and I was /nice/ to the other cosplayers, even though I was a little disappointed I was not unique. I admit I will not seek out similar characters and don't like duplicates in groups, but if I saw someone from the same series, I would go up to them to say hello.

My conclusion: AS cosplayers are not very friendly, and I generally avoid them now if I don't know them. X__X If they come to me, fine, if they don't, I'm tired of being snubbed. (And I can't understand /why/, it's not like people would be embarassed being seen with me, I know my cosplays are good.)

Oshi
09-22-2002, 10:36 AM
xD So I wasn't alone when I saw it and found it disturbing?! ::cackle::
Oh no, I didn't find it disturbing, but being in my extra-sane mind at the time, I was thinking "Oh cmon, girls, stop exhibitioning..."

Celine
09-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Speaking of same costumes/characters, you know what's really bad? Being snubbed by someone dressed as the same character or from the same series.

Yargh, you had this problem too?? ^^ So, at AX this year, when I went as the incredibly well-known Jessie of Pokemon, there was this other James floating about. There was noooo way he could have missed me & my James because he kept walking *right by us*, but we kept being stopped for photos so I wasn't able to go over and grab him for a pic (because I would just loooove a pic with two Jameses ^_^). All of the other Pokemon cosplayers we found stopped and chatted with us and we got pics with them. I just couldn't understand what his problem was.

I have found, on the other hand, that Digimon cosplayers are insanely excited any time they find others doing the same series. It's like being part of a big happy family, regardless of how many people are wearing the same costume.

Koumori
09-22-2002, 11:28 AM

But anyway... to this day I don't know what I did wrong. Probably the "two women wearing the same dress at a party" routine, but seriously it happened to me before and I was /nice/ to the other cosplayers, even though I was a little disappointed I was not unique. I admit I will not seek out similar characters and don't like duplicates in groups, but if I saw someone from the same series, I would go up to them to say hello.

As my mom always used to say, "they're just jealous..." except in this case it's probably actually true.

diqitaldreams
09-22-2002, 12:25 PM

Oh no, I didn't find it disturbing, but being in my extra-sane mind at the time, I was thinking "Oh cmon, girls, stop exhibitioning..."

Lets just say that I went to the game room and hid there for a while. xD ::so cruel::

Kurenai
09-22-2002, 01:11 PM
"One of them was talking nasty about another one, but it was totally sour grapes as the other costumer had a way better costume."

That's just rude when people do that. Scandia, no offense towards you at all, I just thought your quote worked well for my $0.02 :)

Whenever I see someone from the same series, if I decide to not be shy, I'll usually just go up to them and be like "Hi! Let's take some pix together!" Especially if it's the same costume. At Otakon there were 2 other Celeses besides myself, and I thought they were really nice ^,^ I don't really get being catty about things like that...especially since the other person shows the same taste in anime/RPGs/whatever as myself ^^ I can totally understand the envy factor though...but then I remind myself to just go with it and have fun.

kelldar
09-22-2002, 02:37 PM
I know sometimes I don't approach people dressed as characters from the same series as me, just because I have a tendancy to be shy about it. It's silly I know, and I've gotten much better about it, but every once in a while it just hits me and I just can't. I always regret it, 'cause I could have gotten a great pic with them and made some new friends, and that's one reason why I've gotten better about it.
So, sometimes, it's not that the person is being rude, they're just shy.
(but there's no excuse for someone ignoring you if you talk to them! ><; )

sailor-moon
09-22-2002, 10:39 PM
What senshi were dancing at the otakon rave? unfortunetly i was only there for a little while.

Usagi

diqitaldreams
09-22-2002, 11:31 PM
What senshi were dancing at the otakon rave? unfortunetly i was only there for a little while.

Usagi

Venus and Jupiter. xD I was ...so disturbed.

Himemiya
09-22-2002, 11:53 PM
I saw a girl at animazement this year wearing a Makoto Kino school uniform (which was better than mine! ;-;) I was wearing a different costume at the time, which was a good thing ^.^ I think I would cry if i saw someone in the same costume as me with theirs done better ^.^; But i did get her picture, and she was super-nice ^_^
But since animazement's such a small con, I usually don't see two of the same thing ... I see 300 of the same thing O.o like in 2001 when there were like 15 duo maxwells.

Ranma Saotome
09-23-2002, 12:02 AM
I see 300 of the same thing O.o like in 2001 when there were like 15 duo maxwells.

Oh yeah, and out of the 15, there was only 2 that were guys. I was the one of them. ^^

Himemiya
09-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

Oh yeah, and out of the 15, there was only 2 that were guys. I was the one of them. ^^

I KNOW!!! XD Crazy mixed up duo-fangirls!!

There weren't that many this year though O.o

Ranma Saotome
09-23-2002, 12:06 AM

I KNOW!!! XD Crazy mixed up duo-fangirls!!

There weren't that many this year though O.o

Two. Me and this other black chick. :D

Mei Lan Chang
09-23-2002, 12:22 AM
Overdone cosplay? Awww....don't say it that way.

People just cosplay as the same characters a lot of the time because the characters are really popular (usually meaning that they are admirable in some great way)

Oshi
09-23-2002, 12:35 AM
Yknow what? I agree with Mei Lan. You can't really have an overdone cosplay, it's just that the character is really popular and such. Too many Vashes? Hell no! Vash and Trigun 0wnz! Too many Lulus? What's wrong with hot goth mages walking around? ^_^; ...well, if they're male, that ruins my point.

ai no hoshi
09-24-2002, 03:01 AM
as for overdone? yeah, there might be 10 lulu's at a con, but none of them will be the same.

by making a costume, you are creating something unique. whether it be the techniques used, or a slight color/texture difference in the fabric, or whole elements added to make it special. no two costumes will ever be alike in my eyes. i am guilty of the "moogle girl" costume, and it was the most fun costume i have!

my solution? pick a character you like and make the costume. if it's "overdone" who cares. if it's hardly ever done, good for you!

the only thing you want to avoid is running into someone with the same costume, only better than yours. it's happened to me too many times. i was almost done making my garnet(FFIX) costume, when i saw a pic of one that was so much better that i almost gave up. but instead, i pushed myself to make it better! and guess what??? it was still worse, but that's not the point. i hate that costume. it's the one i'm wearing in my avatar... that you can't see cause i hate it. *ha ha* big yellow 9 hour spandex wedgie... ouch.

i'm making a steel angel kurumi costume. the series isn't very well known, but i love it. i saw it a really long time ago (thank goodness for fan subs) and i have yet to see an american cosplayer do it. i searched and searched for other costumers on the web... but found only 3 japanese ones... that were not good at all! i was surprised. so as far as i know, i'll be the first american cosplayer to do her! yay for kurumi!

if anyone knows of any others, let me know and send me the pic!
ai_no_hoshi@hotmail.com
i'm determined to make mine the best.

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by ai no hoshi
i'm making a steel angel kurumi costume. the series isn't very well known, but i love it. i saw it a really long time ago (thank goodness for fan subs) and i have yet to see an american cosplayer do it. i searched and searched for other costumers on the web... but found only 3 japanese ones... that were not good at all! i was surprised. so as far as i know, i'll be the first american cosplayer to do her! yay for kurumi!

if anyone knows of any others, let me know and send me the pic!
ai_no_hoshi@hotmail.com
i'm determined to make mine the best.

Someone on this board that went to AX did a Kurumi costume. If you check the AX Thread where people posted thier cosplays, you will find it there.

Lovelyangel_81
09-24-2002, 10:21 AM
I am going to retired my RoseBride dress. I wore it to the past two Animazements. I am going to have new costumes next year. ^__^

I might even try sewing an costume myself. ^__^

Aoshi Shinomori
09-24-2002, 12:19 PM
I dont think anyones over done.. as long as they like the costume then its all that really matters. I"m cosplaying as Hideki.. but he is just in normal clothes so not that much people would recognize me unless they seen chobits..

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lovelyangel_81
I am going to retired my RoseBride dress. I wore it to the past two Animazements. I am going to have new costumes next year. ^__^

Aww, but you look so adorable as the Rose Bride! :)

Oshi
09-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Aoshi Shinomori
I"m cosplaying as Hideki.. but he is just in normal clothes so not that much people would recognize me unless they seen chobits..
Yeah, they'll only recognize you if you have a Chii with you =P

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2002, 01:34 PM

Yeah, they'll only recognize you if you have a Chii with you =P

And that's a good thing! :D

Psychotic Jei
09-24-2002, 03:26 PM
There has been too many Weiss cosplayers as of late. Whee...we had like 12 Gravitaion cosplayers at Anime Expo. It was cool.

and I say cosplay the charaters you like. Even if theres 0985092840928 of them. =D

ai no hoshi
09-24-2002, 10:03 PM

Someone on this board that went to AX did a Kurumi costume. If you check the AX Thread where people posted thier cosplays, you will find it there.

if your talking about this picture... thats not kurumi.

thats honey from fighting vipers two!

any others?

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ai no hoshi

if your talking about this picture... thats not kurumi.

thats honey from fighting vipers two!

any others?

Nononono! ^^; I could've sworn someone did SAK! *grabs a shovel*

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2002, 10:21 PM
*digs into explosives* BOOM! Ow... You were right on this one ai...

Himemiya
09-26-2002, 10:19 AM
something random and a bit off topic, but this isn't worth a new thread ^^;
I think chii cosplayers look better if they use their real hair, assuming it is past shoulder length. I haven't seen a long blonde wig yet on a chii cosplayer that looked natural, and even the girls with really dark hair look nicer with their own hair, I think. And... yeah ^^;
k, buhbye.

Miaka No Baka
09-26-2002, 12:38 PM
hahaha you know what's funny aoshi did have a chii with him (it was me) and still no one recognized him ^_^; I made him a ghetto sign and attached it to his badge that read "hideki" still we even had to tell some chobits fans that he was hideki then they got it. ^_^ one guy though knew he was hideki probably because of the sumomo doll I made for him that he had hanging out of his shirt pocket. lol ^_^; Hopefully he'll be more recognized as yorokonde hideki ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Miaka No Baka
09-26-2002, 12:55 PM
It's hard to say if a character is overdone if that character has tons of different costumes. Like take card captor sakura for one example. Sure a lot of people cosplay as sakura but since she's got an ungodly amount of costumes she wears it's hard to say "she's been overly cosplayed" there are certain costumes of hers that are such as the school uniforms and the 1st season opening dress, but isn't it interesting to see how different people take on the same costume. Chances are they'll take it on a different way. Just like with chii, sure there's a lot of them but if you notice there's a bunch of different costumes that chii wears so unless every chii cosplayer wore the same thing then she's not really over cosplayed ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Carmila
09-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Ai no Hoshi, sorry to burst your bubble, but my Kurumi costume is in the bag for this years AWA, sorry! but thanks for playing!

ai no hoshi
09-26-2002, 08:08 PM
carmila...

you acted as if i would be upset!
well, i'm not. i'm excited! when you take pics, let me see! there should be more kurumi cosplayers, and i'm surprised there isn't!

Bobbi
09-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Out of the two costumes I've done sofar... I guess they are pretty overdone, but you know what? I had a ton of fun! I think that's what's the most important.

When I did Rinoa at Ohayocon, there was another girl there in the same costume. It was funny because we used the exact same fabric! (More lavender than sky blue, and thin ribs instead of thick)

Anyway, as soon as I find the right fabric, I'm going to redo it and it'll look perfect! Now that I can sew myself. (My sister in-law made that one for me, and it didn't come out how I wanted it) You know what? I won't have any shame about it. I love the costume and I love the character. Sue me. :) Let the cosplay police come and lock me up.

As for Utena, I saw a lot of her at Otakon, but I had a blast anyway. I saw a lot of better versions of her than mine. But I took in what I could've done better anyway.

Garuda_Aiacos
10-01-2002, 12:32 AM
I had never seen online anyone else cosplaying any of the Characters from DUAL! Paralle Trouble Adventure. :(

Maybe the series is too short to leave an impact on anyone.

Kikyo
10-02-2002, 03:50 AM
we need some sexy nuriko cosplayers::::::runs and hides::::

usagi

Yes!!! Sexy Nurikos!!! May the heavens rain sexy Nurikos down upon us!! That and we need some sexy Tasuki cosyplayers....I can only do so much ya know? I can't only be a partially sexy Tasuki, because of that whole, you know, HE'S A GUY thing lol. I liked being the only Kikyo at AFO3......but there was one other Kikyo at AWA, I was all sad lol. But for most of AWA I was the only non-ova Tasuki I saw! Yay! happiness for meh!

Hikaruchan
10-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Of the 3 male Nurikos I have seen, 1 was sexy - yay! There have been some cute male Tasuki's. Haven't seen a real sexy Nakago yet though, seen a couple good ones but not into wow range.

SailorAndromeda
10-02-2002, 02:23 PM
I was thinking of doing a Kurumi costume this year, but I have so many others planned that I have to put it on hold for another year. But I love Kurumi! Can't wait to see how yours comes out!

VioletFairy
10-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Miaka No Baka
hahaha you know what's funny aoshi did have a chii with him (it was me) and still no one recognized him ^_^; I made him a ghetto sign and attached it to his badge that read "hideki" still we even had to tell some chobits fans that he was hideki then they got it. ^_^

When I went to A-kon this year, a friend of mine did Lady Une's Preventer uniform from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. The costume included a *name badge* besides her con badge, and it had a picture of Lady Une *on it*, and still no one knew who she was! I felt so bad for her!

Vi

Tenjou
10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Kikyo- who's that in your avatar? ^^: -prepares to be mobbed-

Kikyo
10-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Tenjou
Kikyo- who's that in your avatar? ^^: -prepares to be mobbed-

Why that would be miss Kikyo-sama! I've got a few more pictures if you'd like, or I can send you the full version of this one (I love it!!), it also has Kagome and Sango on it. Very pretty picture.....lol

Tenjou
10-02-2002, 06:03 PM
She's so pretty!! -Kikyo's avatar sends magic I-want-to-cosplay-that-character-magic- !!O_O!! What anime??

P.S. I got blocked e-mail, so you can't e-mail the pictures anyway. -cries- but I bet I could find a gallery of her on anipike or something like so. ^^

Kikyo
10-02-2002, 06:50 PM
She's from Inuyasha! She's kinda evil at the moment though, but I love cosplaying her. She's just so pretty and it's a fun costume I think. Here's a few links to some webpages about Inuyasha (one of them has my avatar's picture on it) that I really like! enjoy!

http://www.inuyasha.net/index.php (note: at first it's in French I think, but there's a little icon so you can change the language)

http://www.fangirlfriday.com/~katy/anime_shrines/inuyasha/iy_main.html (I love this one, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment....maybe it works for you? When it is working it's one of my fav sites!)

Hope these help ya! Oh, and as far as I know she doesn't have traditional Hakama pants, except for the movie. Alot of people portray her with the Hakama, but it doesn't look like she has them in the anime.

Daitenshi
10-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Ah, Kikyou... after Sesshoumaru she's my favorite character in Inuyasha. I plan to cosplay as her someday, but I'm waiting until I can afford a wig again ^^;;

You can also find a lot of pics at:
http://www.inuyasha.org

TyJILDown
10-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Blah, when I planed to do Lulu LONG before AXNY, I only saw very few costume pictures online...suddenly during the late spring and summer tons started sprouting up, I felt a lil' discouraged dressing up as her, but what can I say for my first cosplay. One thing about the Lulu costumes is that almost everyone is different, which can be a good thing if you want variety in some way. No more FF for me.

I have to agree with the whole Sailor Moon and Final Fantasy scene being crowded. And Trigun cosplays, there sure are A LOT of them. Cowboy Bebop is pretty popular recently as well.

Himemiya
10-03-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm expecting a WHOLE lot of Inu-yasha at animazement this year ^_^;; Like in 2001 when gundam wing came out on TV, and there were Duos EVERYWHERE... heheh

Yumeko
10-05-2002, 02:39 AM
after this years ACen, I am sick of Inu-Yasha. Ryouga, and to an extent sailor senshi cosplay

Kikyo
10-05-2002, 02:53 AM
I haven't really seen too many "off" characters from Inuyasha. I've seen plenty of Inuyashas and Kagomes, but few of them are really good. I've seen one Sango demon hunter outfit and one of her regular, one Sesshoumaru (which was really good!!), a few Mirokus (ok so there were a bunch of those too, but again not many good), one Kikyo (aside from myself) and a few other misc. characters played by the same persons that did one of the costumes above. I'm glad to be able to see tha really good ones, but the not-so good ones get annoying with so many.

kitty_neko
10-05-2002, 09:05 AM
there were a TON of vashes, spikes, eds, and final fantasy people in general at otakon.

sailor-moon
10-05-2002, 10:33 AM
<after this years ACen, I am sick of Inu-Yasha. Ryouga, and to an extent sailor senshi cosplay>

HEY HEY HEY! >.< but how often do you see GOOD Sailor Senshi cosplay huh?!^.^

Usagi

Ayaka
10-05-2002, 01:32 PM
I decided at some point that a costume is never overdone until it's been done RIGHT.

Which is why I'm doing Inuyasha, and will spend a huge amount of time agonizing on the details. ^^ I thought about doing other characters, which I may still at some point, but he's just so cool . . . and for once having heavy black eyebrows won't be a BAD thing, lol.

Melchior
10-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka
I decided at some point that a costume is never overdone until it's been done RIGHT.

Which is why I'm doing Inuyasha, and will spend a huge amount of time agonizing on the details. ^^ I thought about doing other characters, which I may still at some point, but he's just so cool . . . and for once having heavy black eyebrows won't be a BAD thing, lol.

I thought I did Inuyasha right - I even had yellow wolf eyes...

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/detail.asp?costumeid=2514

*shrug*

I kinda agree though. There are a lot of half-done hanyous out there. But we all have to remember, not everyone has the resources or skills to make it 'perfect'. These people are the ones who do it for pure fun. I just happen to be lucky enough to know alot of people who are good at sewing and have the money to invest in a good costume. After all, not everyone has a seamstress on call :D

Ayaka
10-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Yes, you did. As did some other people. But none of them have thought of the deeply insane thing I'm trying. ^^

Kikyo
10-05-2002, 02:01 PM
I'd really like to see someone do a human Inuyasha....I mean, I know it's easier, but no one ever does it! That I've seen at least.

Melchior
10-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Yes, you did. As did some other people. But none of them have thought of the deeply insane thing I'm trying. ^^

What, full youkai Inu? You do know you can buy red contacts that cover your entire eye (including the white part or sclera), right?

It would be cool, but *shrug* I dont really like full-youkai IY anyway, so It wouldnt' be something *I* would do. Lol.

kitty_neko
10-05-2002, 02:09 PM
>You do know you can buy red contacts that cover your entire eye (including the white part or sclera), right?

omg! where?? do they cost a ton...? ><
*would really like a pair*

Melchior
10-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Well, here are some BLACK Sclera ones:
http://www.visiondirect.com/common/Products.asp?ProdId=362&fmpage=&

And I THINK (this may change but I'm not sure) here are some red ones:

http://www.quiklens.com/product.asp?pid=S1010

sailor-moon
10-05-2002, 02:24 PM
a couple friends told me to cosplay as human form inu yasha, im stil thinking about it^.^ the only bad thing is that im a chick, and somewhat short^.^ i make a better kagome :D

Usagi

Ranma Saotome
10-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Yumeko
after this years ACen, I am sick of Inu-Yasha. Ryouga, and to an extent sailor senshi cosplay

Ryouga?! Ryouga Hibiki?! Since when did a supporting character get overdone!? *LOL* :thumbsup:

aeva
10-05-2002, 04:07 PM
One can NEVER overdo Ryouga. mmm.... Ryouga..... ^w^ Nor can one overdo RanmaxRyouga.....

...in fear of others, I shall shush my fangirl ways now. ::hides::

Ayaka
10-05-2002, 09:43 PM
> What, full youkai Inu?

No comment, cause I gotta keep my secret. ^^; Maybe, maybe not.

And I was, actually before not talking about Inuyasha cosplayers; realize now that it probably seemed that way . . . I meant cosplay in general.

scandia
10-06-2002, 08:25 AM
I've seen Ryougas at nearly every con I have been to. And sometimes I cannot tell if a cosplayer is doing Ryouga or Yahiko (from Kenshin) since the outfits are the same color and look a lot alike.

Anyhow, I hope the next big con I go to as Emeraude does not have any others cosplaying her. In real life, when someone has my same outfit or piece of clothing, I tell them "Nice _________", but in cosplay I get possessive.

PockyDarcy
10-06-2002, 01:17 PM
hmm... well if there are so many apposing these costumes and everyone is saying the same things and probably everyone is thinking there are too many of _______ I don't want to be like them, why are people still overdoing costumings? I think they are all newbies....which is pretty sad if you go to an anime con & go dressed up as a video game character..*cough* Final Fantasy 10. >_< I have never played the game and I know sooo much about it from going to cons. *sigh* I wil agree that trigun is done to death!! YUK! I think people should cosplay series that you like and charcters that look like them. How awsome is it to see a real life anime character!! I'm sick of seeing people who look nothing like who they are supposed to be. They leave me guessing. *sigh* oh well.
over done I think so...*sizzle*
trigun
final fantasy (any) 10 especially
eva characters
mai-SNK
di gi charat characters
chii from Chobits
cowboy bebob
*gowl* GGUUURRR! >_<

Oshi
10-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by PockyDarcy
final fantasy (any) 10 especially
Now you can't say ANY FF game.. Certain characters really.
Lesse... 7 isn't too over cosplayed, and alot of characters are rarely cosplayed from it... Barret, RedXIII, most of the bad guys...
8.. Squall, Rinoa, Selphie, are all very done. But you don't see that many Zell, Seifer, Quistis, Irvine, Edea, etc. And you almost never see Laguna & co., Fuujin and Raijin, Cid, et. al.
Nine is not cosplayed that much either. Zidane and Garnet are popular, Kuja isn't that rare, Vivi is often.. but have you ever seen a Steiner? Or Armarant? Still plenty of ground to cover in IX.
Now 10... yes. Sooo many chars are becoming over cosplayed. But there's still a few... Wakka isn't too popular. Seymore isn't that much either. I havn't actually played FF10 yet, so I don't know all the chars...
But, right there, thats... four games. The recent ones. What about 1-6?! You rarely ever see anybody from 4-6. 1-3 are basically the same. You'll catch the occasional black or white mage, but that's usually it. And 4-6... SOOO many possibilities. Have you ever seen a Kefka? I haven't, and I want to. And lets not forget for most characters, you have both game style and Amano style.
Then again, I suppose it's easier to do a character who has 3D models to look at, heheh.

scandia
10-06-2002, 01:49 PM
I have not played any FF games and know half of the characters. Brother only played FF7. I have not seen any Sephiroths, only one Kefka in pics (but I have seen him play Kuja irl), 2 Vincents (and such a droolworthy character), not those many people from FF9 believe it or not. I have seen a lot of Yunas, Lulus, Rikkus, Rinoas, Squalls, and Tifas. Not even those many Clouds.

About looking like the character you cosplay, I started another controversial thread about that. Proud to be the brown-eyed brunette Emeraude :)

Melchior
10-06-2002, 01:57 PM
PockyDarcy:

Oh man I feel so bad. I saw you at Otakon and called you Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar. I wish you would have corrected me... lol

Ranma Saotome
10-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by scandia
I've seen Ryougas at nearly every con I have been to. And sometimes I cannot tell if a cosplayer is doing Ryouga or Yahiko (from Kenshin) since the outfits are the same color and look a lot alike.

Are you serious? It's very easy to tell them apart. ^^ Ryouga has an umbrella, bookbag, and a headband. Yahiko doesnt. That and Yahiko wears a hakama.

Ranma Saotome
10-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by PockyDarcy
I think they are all newbies....which is pretty sad if you go to an anime con & go dressed up as a video game character..*cough* Final Fantasy 10. >_<

I agree on that. That and some FF characters are easy piece mods like Tidus, Tifa, and Rinoa. I know some people will go all out when making them like from scratch. I give people props on that.

kitty_neko
10-06-2002, 02:14 PM
waa! T-T I was gonna make a lulu costume.....and im making a chii one right now......and i was faye before..... T-T

....so do u think i shouldnt make a lulu costume.....? T-T

Celine
10-06-2002, 02:48 PM
kitty_neko, you should do Lulu and Chii if you want to. The reason they are overcosplayed is because they are popular characters. Yeah, so people who go to many cons might act like it's nothing special since they've seen a million, but there will be plenty of people who *haven't* seen the costume done over and over. You should also decide if you are cosplaying to please others or yourself!

As for FFs, I've seen at least 3 Kefkas. There was a huge FF6 group this year at Otakon, with 3 Celes, 3 Lockes, Gao, Sabin, Shadow, Setzer, 2 Terras... I've seen TONS of Sephiroths and Vincents and Clouds (remember, FF7 has been around for years). FF9 was crazily overcosplayed three or so years ago when it came out, but it just hasn't lasted as a popular game so you don't see many characters anymore, unlike 7 and 8. I would looooooooooooove to see a Steiner someday. ^_^

aeva
10-06-2002, 03:00 PM
>>>>....so do u think i shouldnt make a lulu costume.....? T-T

If you really love the character, go for it!! Just try to put your own spin, reallly.... blending into the sea of Lulus isn't always fun. Stand out! Make the others jealous. ^.~ The work might be harder, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction from "Hey! I was the most ass-kicking Lulu at the con!"

Tenshi
10-06-2002, 07:49 PM
I've seen a few Kefkas. I've even saw a Final Battle Kefka. . .look on cosplaylab.com for it. Pretty spiffy *_*.

Ranma Saotome
10-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Just remember this one lil note about cosplay...

"If you're going to cosplay, go all out to the end!" :)

Ayaka
10-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Yeah I just did a Faye costume.

I keep waffling about this. But, you know, I think my final opinion is - DO THE COSTUME ANYWAY. I have a personal feeling for myself that I want to do characters that haven't been done before (not exclusively, I mean, I just like that better), but I shouldn't project that onto other people, which I've been slipping and doing.

VioletFairy
10-07-2002, 01:35 AM
I keep waffling about this. But, you know, I think my final opinion is - DO THE COSTUME ANYWAY.

Amen!

It all depends on your motivations, I think. If you're doing the costume because you love the character, then do it, just don't be upset when you're not the only Vash/Duo/Faye walking around. If you want to get your picture taken a lot, then it's more advantageous for you to do a popular character. (I'm using "you" in the general sense, by the way, not referring to anyone specific.) Me personally, if I had my heart set on doing a costume I knew would be everywhere, it'd just be motivation for me to put my own twist on it, and work that much harder.

This is a little OT, but I just wanted to share...this year at Otakon, I remember there were a lot of Wolfwoods...but I don't know if there really were, or if it just seemed that way because the big crosses were so obvious! :thumbsup:

Vi

loki555
10-07-2002, 02:01 AM
Speaking of Characters that are not cosplayed too much,There Lenneth Valkyrie that is not cosplayed too much cuz of the complex look of the costume.

Cait
10-07-2002, 07:53 AM
which is pretty sad if you go to an anime con & go dressed up as a video game character..*cough* Final Fantasy 10. >_<

>_< Eh? Since when did anime conventions just mean anime? I've always known the anime convention to be a generalized gathering for fans of any product of Japanese popular media. Were all those J-Rocker cosplayers in the wrong, too? There was a J-pop child's cosplay group at the Fashion Show at AX.. and I believe most people remember they had a J-Rock event at that con as well.

BTW, this is a Yuna (FFX) and Malon (Zelda) cosplayer speaking.

Melchior
10-07-2002, 10:54 AM
There's really a difference between alot of people's reasonings for doing certain costumes, but when it all comes down to it, it really doesnt matter. Some people cosplay a character because of the love of the show or movie, some cosplay because it hasnt been done before, some cosplay because they like the character design. None of these reasons is the "official" reason for cosplaying, nor should it be. While I *peronally* disagree with some motivations, hey, I'm not the one spending the money and putting the work into a costume, and these people arent hurting me, so what do I care?

HuongStar
10-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Well said, Melchior! ^_^

I really don't understand when people get so particular about "anime-only" cosplay. There is a lot of cross-over with anime/manga and videogames. J-music does have a tenuous connection to anime...so what's the big deal? *shrugs*

If it is overdone, that isn't something you can help especially if you enjoy the series/character. The only difference for me is that it motivates me to do a better job than the ones presented or else I try to personalize the outfit somehow. ^_^

Melchior
10-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by HuongStar
Well said, Melchior! ^_^

I really don't understand when people get so particular about "anime-only" cosplay. There is a lot of cross-over with anime/manga and videogames. J-music does have a tenuous connection to anime...so what's the big deal? *shrugs*

If it is overdone, that isn't something you can help especially if you enjoy the series/character. The only difference for me is that it motivates me to do a better job than the ones presented or else I try to personalize the outfit somehow. ^_^

I kind of lurk on this 'anti-cosplay' group on yahoo. I signed up for it just to read the discussion. While some people make valid points about what is annoying and/or needs to be changed about conventions and cosplay, there are a few people who just have that whole grade-school mentality of making fun of people behind their back. Unfortunately, these are the people who pretty much started the group, so despite what some more level-headed people suggest, these few ruin the otherwise civil discussions. But anyhoo, the reason I brought this up was because one of the things they seem to harp on alot is the 'anime-only' cosplay thing. While yea, it's great to try and shoot for this at your con, but it's really unfeasible to ask people who pay good money to attend your 'con' to limit their creativity to your artificial boundaries. People attend comic conventions dressed as anime and fantasy characters, so how are they any different?

It's just that these certain people who make a big deal out of everything on this group annoy the hell out of me because they feel cosplayers ruin their image somehow. This REALLY makes no sense, because even if we DID somehow cast a negative light on anime fandom, it isnt any worse than the typical 'greasy fat fanboy who lives in his parents' basement' stereotype that has existed ten times longer. Honestly though, if someone else's participation in your hobby causes you to be embarassed of it, then either you need to lighten up or find a new hobby, because you're taking it way too seriously and looking at it as a popularity contest instead of a recreational activity.

Ranma Saotome
10-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Cait

>_< Eh? Since when did anime conventions just mean anime? I've always known the anime convention to be a generalized gathering for fans of any product of Japanese popular media. Were all those J-Rocker cosplayers in the wrong, too? There was a J-pop child's cosplay group at the Fashion Show at AX.. and I believe most people remember they had a J-Rock event at that con as well.

BTW, this is a Yuna (FFX) and Malon (Zelda) cosplayer speaking.

Well look at it from this POV. I can understand what Pocky Darcy means. True it is an anime con so just anime cosplays right? But in recent years we have seen J-rock, and videogame characters appear. We see them appear becuase some VG characters are in mangas and some animes is my guess. Basically is a person new to anime cosplay would be kinda suprised to see people do videogame cosplays.

Uh... I think that made sense.

SailorAndromeda
10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok, first of all, I agree, cosplay the characters YOU want to. So what if it's been done? If you love the character, show, design or whatever, then do it!
Why should it be only 'anime' cosplay? I went to Otakon this year, and both my costumes were from video games. I didn't plan it that way, but those are the two characters I chose to do. I was Zelda from Ocarina of Time (N64), but there is a manga of that out. Also, it originally came from Japan. My other cosplay was Evila from Space Channel 5. I just feel that it would be unfair to make some sort of rule or something that only anime costumes could be worn. I personally like having anime, manga, video game, and J-Rock/pop characters all at a convention. Just my two cents. ^^

VioletFairy
10-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SailorAndromeda
I personally like having anime, manga, video game, and J-Rock/pop characters all at a convention. Just my two cents. ^^

I've only been to three conventions in my life, but I very distinctly remember that for all of them-either on the website, or program, or whatever-it was stated that while the convention had an *emphasis* on anime, it was also a convention for Japanese culture in general.

So...why not J-Rock/Pop and video game characters? It still fits with the spirit of the con.

Just my .5 cent. ^_^

Vi

Jinx
10-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Just don't dress up as Spock or Darth Vader or some other sci-fi fantasy characters. There are cons for those, too. :P

I know the Star Wars people at AX were doing something for the Hyatt, though... so I heard.

Rosiel
10-08-2002, 05:02 PM
> Just don't dress up as Spock or Darth Vader or some other sci-fi fantasy characters.

There is a Star Wars manga.
Hence, technically, they are related to the topic of anime convention.

Cait
10-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Well look at it from this POV. I can understand what Pocky Darcy means. True it is an anime con so just anime cosplays right?

Ok. So no manga 'cosplays' either? Manga is not anime.

But in recent years we have seen J-rock, and videogame characters appear. We see them appear becuase some VG characters are in mangas and some animes is my guess.

It's all Japanese, dude. Last con I went to they had a kimono tying demo. Was that anime? No, that was cultural. The anime convention seems all about Japanese things and Japanese popular media now a days.

Basically is a person new to anime cosplay would be kinda suprised to see people do videogame cosplays.

*shakes head* I disagree. I think the general cosplayer coming into the concept of it has seen it and is getting the idea from there. It's hard to miss the emphasis on cosplay and masquerades when researching a first con. I know that I had been enthrawled by the cosplayer photo galleries at places like fansview for a good year or two before I ever thought of going to a con or cosplaying. It seemed very natural from the start to have things from anime, manga, game, and the music cosplayed. This is why my first costume was a game character.

I've never ever before just now heard of any displeasure at cosplay of non-anime things, just at things that do not originate from Japanese culture or have a root in it like for example Harry Potter. Star Wars is a manga. I have the T-shirt to prove it *points to manga Luke in his X-Wing* Thank you K-mart.

Cait
10-08-2002, 10:01 PM
There is a Star Wars manga.
Hence, technically, they are related to the topic of anime convention.

*nods* Ok, I have a question for everyone along these lines... how about things with a heavy and direct Japanese influence? A few friends of mine and I were at Blockbuster the other day and found a Rainbow Brite tape. We opted to take a trip back to early childhood and rented it and watched. The few of us awake during it realized that it sure looked like anime... and sure enough if you look at the credits half the list is made up of Japanese names. "Anime Sound" did the sound for crying out loud! But, it's not an anime. It originated in America. Would that be acceptable at an anime convention? How about something that is completly American but derrived from anime style like the Powerpuff Girls? How about something that we sent over like South Park?

Ranma Saotome
10-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Jinx
Just don't dress up as Spock or Darth Vader or some other sci-fi fantasy characters. There are cons for those, too. :P

I know the Star Wars people at AX were doing something for the Hyatt, though... so I heard.

Jinx, this picture is just for you...

Ranma Saotome
10-08-2002, 11:00 PM

Ok. So no manga 'cosplays' either? Manga is not anime.

It's all Japanese, dude. Last con I went to they had a kimono tying demo. Was that anime? No, that was cultural. The anime convention seems all about Japanese things and Japanese popular media now a days.

*shakes head* I disagree. I think the general cosplayer coming into the concept of it has seen it and is getting the idea from there. It's hard to miss the emphasis on cosplay and masquerades when researching a first con. I know that I had been enthrawled by the cosplayer photo galleries at places like fansview for a good year or two before I ever thought of going to a con or cosplaying. It seemed very natural from the start to have things from anime, manga, game, and the music cosplayed. This is why my first costume was a game character.

I've never ever before just now heard of any displeasure at cosplay of non-anime things, just at things that do not originate from Japanese culture or have a root in it like for example Harry Potter. Star Wars is a manga. I have the T-shirt to prove it *points to manga Luke in his X-Wing* Thank you K-mart.

-_- I am not gonna waste my time n effort on this one...

Nine
10-08-2002, 11:29 PM
I notice a lot of Final Fantasy X cosplay... (Yuna, Lulu, etc..) Only a few good ones though...

I also notice not so anymore, but a lot of Vash cosplayers O_O

Cait
10-09-2002, 07:13 PM
-_- I am not gonna waste my time n effort on this one...

Nobody cares, dude.

ChenCzen
10-09-2002, 07:23 PM
cause you know, qouting someones post, then adding a small comment because you cant argue with the logic of the post like 'im not gonna waste my time and effort' ISNT A WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT IS IT?

(still dislikes ranma, if it wasnt obvious. and just for the record, i dont have any comment on any opinion here really, just taking any chance to make ranma look bad.)

Ranma Saotome
10-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Chen, it'll take every single ounce of your intelligence to make me look bad, and what you just posted was your best, I have nothing to worry about.

Cait, you need to stop reading between the lines alright, please, can you do that, or are too anal to do so? And what I said is from my cosplay experiences. It was not my intention to forget about mangas. And I just started going to multiple cons in a year. Agreed that cons are doing more japanese cultural events. At this past AZ, there was a martial arts demonstration. But there are things you do have to consider that some cons will keep their evernts anime-based.

To think, I wasn't even going to reply to one of your posts... Boy was I wrong.

Rosiel
10-10-2002, 10:19 AM
> how about things with a heavy and direct Japanese influence?

At this point in time, I think everything became fair game at anime conventions as far as hall cosplays. I've seen GI*Joe cosplayers, Thundercats, X-men, Harry Potter... I don't mind, if they see this event as a chance to dress up and have fun, they can go ahead, they aren't bothering anybody, just expression their interest in other fandoms on top of liking anime.

I should note that I don't care as long as this stays strictly hall and the masq stays centered on the theme of the convention.

makio
10-10-2002, 11:09 AM
IMO...People should be welcome to come and dress up as who ever they like, but should be aware of its consequences. Sure, I'll continue appearing at conventions usually wearing video-game based costumes whether the convention's anime themed or not. Usually the con staff'll post what's allowed in competition or not, so as long as I'm (and everyone else) are abiding by the set rules, there shouldn't be any controversy...save for the needless squabbling on the message boards. :(

...'nuff said.

Melchior
10-10-2002, 11:12 AM
> how about things with a heavy and direct Japanese influence?

At this point in time, I think everything became fair game at anime conventions as far as hall cosplays. I've seen GI*Joe cosplayers, Thundercats, X-men, Harry Potter... I don't mind, if they see this event as a chance to dress up and have fun, they can go ahead, they aren't bothering anybody, just expression their interest in other fandoms on top of liking anime.

I should note that I don't care as long as this stays strictly hall and the masq stays centered on the theme of the convention, i.e. anime and manga.

Rosiel, alot of cons dont distinguish the types of costumes appropriate for masquerade, including Ohayocon this year. Anything pretty much was fair game. Although yea, I have seen rules posted that otherwise prevent this from happening.

Rosiel
10-10-2002, 11:20 AM
I'll start by noting I did forget Japanese video games in my description which is really silly as I cosplay from video games a lot. -__-;;;; But the description does change from convention to convention anyway...

> Anything pretty much was fair game.

I guess this is a matter of opinion, but IMO original costumes for example should not be allowed in a Masq.

If I have reference, I have a standard to be judged by.
If it's original, I can change my reference to match the result, which I think gives an unfair advantage. ^___^

I have to mention I really like the way some bigger cons have separate events both for J-rock and Karaoke, so you can pick and choose what genre you want to see. (and you get more shows to attend!)

Ayaka
10-10-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm actually amazed that some con masquerades still allow singing. And on the flip side of that, surprised that more haven't tried out doing a karaoke contest. The AX contest was (the first day when people KNEW WHERE IT WAS) very well attended! It was standing room only! Okay, so it was a small room. Still. And costumes were something that a number of people in it did, though it wasn't required.

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm actually amazed that some con masquerades still allow singing.

I think that's because at some cons, you get a bigger turnout at cosplay than you do at Karaoke. I know when I was running the Karaoke contest, I had about 50 or so audience members.

But to be honest, there shouldn't be any singing in masquerades, that's what the Karaoke is for. :D

Koumori
10-10-2002, 02:24 PM

To think, I wasn't even going to reply to one of your posts... Boy was I wrong.

OKAY. Separate corners, all of you. You're free to insult each other off the board, but don't make us all watch.

Melchior
10-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Koumori

OKAY. Separate corners, all of you. You're free to insult each other off the board, but don't make us all watch.

Or if you do, at least provide us with some refreshments!
:drink:

Cait
10-10-2002, 11:08 PM

Who died and made you mod? Nobody was doing anything. He's just irritable. Don't encourage it ChenCzen.. or you either, Koumori.

Or if you do, at least provide us with some refreshments!

This will be my last post on this thread. I've already seen that people can't behave maturly here. If I have to be the adult, so be it.

rainydaylulu
10-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Wow, I feel like such a dork now!

Honestly, I'm not making a Yuna costume to cosplay her, I just like the outfit, and plan to wear it as a nice dress. >.<

As for LuLu, coming from someone who does Rocky Horror, that costume works for impressing all the goth-type boys...*hehe*

I am new to this whole cosplay thing, but I'm very interested in getting involved with it. The oddest character I've ever picked was San from Princess Mononoke. I thought she might be overdone, but I guess no one wants to wear something that unflattering...?

Jilly-cat.

ChenCzen
10-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Don't encourage it ChenCzen..

ME? instigating?! never...

::wonders if cait is going to pull a 'ranma saotome' (saying you are done posting in a thread and then posting on that thread again anyways)::

alright alright, thats my last jab in this thread. i can play nice.

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 11:17 PM

Who died and made you mod? Nobody was doing anything. He's just irritable. Don't encourage it ChenCzen.. or you either, Koumori.

This will be my last post on this thread. I've already seen that people can't behave maturly here. If I have to be the adult, so be it.

And you're a b***h. No reason for you to run your mouth at Koumori, let alone ChenCzen. As for maturity...

He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

ChenCzen
10-10-2002, 11:24 PM
i can see this is quickly going the way of a thread that shall not be named.

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 11:26 PM
You don't say...

ChenCzen
10-10-2002, 11:29 PM
i think the right people can make any topic hostile... cause this one started off and stayed very mild for a long time.

::bows:: i do what i can!

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Indeed it was. I didn't think a general post I made could cause so much hellfire n brimstone.

Mappy
10-11-2002, 12:49 PM
WHY HAVEN'T THE MODS LOCKED THIS SHIZNOZ YET?!?!

Melchior
10-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Ok you two. Chill the f*ck out. You're getting pissed at each other over making costumes. Step back from the monitor and go play ddr or drink or something. I get to wade through enough flaming in every other board I post in, and the last place I expected to have to do it was here.

So yea, just calm down. If this thread bothers you, dont post in it anymore, or at the very least take your little 'discussion' to private messages so the rest of us can get back to dressing up in silly costumes. =P

ChenCzen
10-11-2002, 11:31 PM
um, i dont think anyone is fighting anymore... if that was a fight to begin with.

but i bet in a few days when all traces of hostility are truely gone from this thread a mod will lock it anyways because we're 'fighting too much'.

Melchior
10-12-2002, 12:00 AM
It's not my fault you guys finished your debate before I could get a word in. :p

Ranma Saotome
10-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Mappy
WHY HAVEN'T THE MODS LOCKED THIS SHIZNOZ YET?!?!

Because we went back to being good little boys and girls.

Hikaru
10-27-2002, 09:35 AM
All the FF 10 characters are cool and have great outfit designs so many people love to cosplay as them. Geez, I guess a lot of people hated FF 9 or something 'cause I've seen no one cosplay as any of the characters! I see FF 8 cosplay a lot too. Most of the costumes in FF 8 are not that complex looking, ie you could find all the things you needed at a sore except the gunblade!

HeXuS
12-05-2002, 03:34 PM
does anyone remember the first guy (to my knoladge) to cosplay as Vash at A-KON 11? he had the best costume of any that i have seen, ihe was cool, and sorta acted like vash too
http://merlekun.kumagoro.net/Images/Cosplay/AKon11/Vash.jpg