PDA

View Full Version : VA Beach Cosplayers

vasa1886
06-30-2008, 08:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a cosplayers group in the VA Beach area. Not so much an anime club more so a place to work on costumes while meeting others who share an interest. Possibly set up bi-monthly meetings, photoshoots and/or holiday-esque events.

SailorKagome
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
That sounds like a cool idea. :)

vasa1886
07-02-2008, 09:17 AM
In attempt to sway more opinion I'd take charge of organization lol

Lunarlion
07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Oh I LOVE this idea! We could swap ideas too and I suppose help eachother. We could share tips about cosplay too!

Count me in!

NecromanticChii
07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds interesting.

vasa1886
07-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm looking for a place for a general meeting area, does anyone have limits on how far they can/are willing to go? I'm mostly thinking a library, I live more on the Chesapeake side, but on weekends usually found hanging nearer to the hotel AMA was held at thiis year.

NecromanticChii
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I won't go past an hour away...(I don't have the gas money for it.)
Other than that I live in VABeach, so I can get places fairly easy.

vasa1886
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Haha no I wasn't talking hours away @@ probably no more than 15mins-30mins either direction. Current thoughts are the Greenbriar Library or one close to VA Beach Blvdish, I'd also volunteer my house since my room mate enjoys anime/cosplay, but in all fairness I'd rather meet everyone and know you're not crazy killers :D

NecromanticChii
07-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't blame you.
^_~ (I do that too.)

vasa1886
07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
With a week from this Saturday being the earliest possible day for an informal meeting of interest and such, and having to alternate Saturdays(boo summer courses) what would be a good day for people

Date Options:
19th July
2nd August
16th August
30th August

Sabarae
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Blah, sadly Saturdays are one of the few days that I work. And even more sadly, the hours I work are usually pretty inconvenient for anything that I may plan to do those days. Fridays are another story and Sundays are usually fine after 2pm.

But even if I can't make it for the meeting, I have a few ideas for meeting places. A library would be good, but perhaps we should find a place that's good for just about anything (particularly when dealing with the fuming/hazardous materials -ie, spray paint, super glue, irons, liquids of any kind). I talked to my dad for a minute and he gave me a couple possibilities.

1) Ask one of the recreation centers if we could use one of their rooms. This will probably depend on if we open the place for more than just cosplay people (probably other crafts people) as well as depends on how many people will be in our group. Perhaps have a couple people go talk to them instead of just one person.

2) Someone converts a garage to host us. Nothing too extreme, but just enough to have places to sit, tables to work at, some air circulation, and electricity. If push comes to shove, my dad is willing to let us use my garage, but that's assuming that the meetings aren't on Saturdays.

3) If someone is part of a church that has a recreation area/room. Perhaps ask to use the room every once in awhile.

Another option is to meet up at the library for days people aren't working on costumes, and find an alternate place for when they are.

NecromanticChii
07-08-2008, 10:54 AM
^_~ Weekdays after 5pm are awesome for me, and anytime on the weekends.

I like the garage idea, I just wish I didn't have an apt, and I had a house..lol

vasa1886
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmmm Sunday may be a good possibility, I don't know if anyone attends religious services, personally I don't so I'm tossing out a time here. Maybe Sundays at 1ish since I'd like to accomodate more people. Once we have a general idea of a good first day I'll attempt to contact places as they tend to not like you saying "Hi do you have a room available for 'blah' "Well what day?" 'Uhhhh' rofl. Anyway, if rec center wants to charge I know a couple possible home garages, but I also suffer from Apartmentaphobia lacking the garage. However my dad's out of town so his garage is fairly open and my step mom would probably happy make snacks rofl.

Note: I didn't choose 1 as a time to exclude you as Im sure no one would have a problem with you showing up later. However I run a D&D campaign sunday evenings so it can occasionally botch things up ;P

Anyway for a first date add +1 day to any of the above days for a vote.

NecromanticChii
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I would say best bet for most would be evenings on Friday, or Saturday/Sunday. As I read it makes more sense for a Friday night one, only because it seems like most who work mon-fri jobs can make it in the evenings, plus others seem to have Friday off from work.

I know sometimes I will miss a day or two for convention stuff. Thats a given though..lol

pancake-fong
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Would it be illegal if Northeastern NC people were to join? My friends and I all live like 25 minutes from the border...

vasa1886
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Lets do things the democratic way :D

Ballot(Just reply to the thread with one of the below chocies voting will close Midnight Friday evening/Saturday morning):
Friday Evenings(Post 5PMish)
Sunday Day Post(Post 2PMish)
Something Not Listed(Please leave day and time)

I just know life will be easier(somewhat) if we have a day and time frame in mind before looking for places to host.

On that note though how long would we like to gather? Presumably more than one hour and less than a slumber party, but ya know these people tend to like time frames to. So long as a place is free to use it doesn't really become a problem saying we'll meet this week 2hrs and stay 1hr30mins, but if its a pay to use facility(which if thats the case I like the garage idea) I wouldn't want to book a 3hr slot and stay for 45mins, as I don't know how forgiving cancellations are at such places.

Once we get the big stuff down(places and times) we'll worry about other things such as getting the word out, club name, potential ideas for the club, etc. I was thinking once we get a good time frame for people the first meeting might be a "get together" of some sort to discuss what people would like out of the club(Group rates at cons[if you had a non club friend who wanted to go we wouldnt exclude them], trips to Joannas/fabric shops, who has what sewing devices, etc.

If you wonder why my times are wonky at post/respond Im an ODU student and alot of it happens during class breaks or after classes are done.

NecromanticChii
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Fridays after 5pm, Saturdays after 2pm, and Sunday's work with me. (In addition to that Monday-Thursday after 5pm as well.)

XD

Sabarae
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm good with Friday evenings. Most of the time, I'm unloading the store truck at work, so my work hours are around 5am to 10am. So for the most part, my Fridays are almost like day-offs. The same goes for Tuesday... And I usually only work Tues, Fri, Sat, and Sun (barely any hours >.o).

So yeah, my votes Friday. ^.^ It gives me something to look forward to every other weekend since my 'weekend' is usually in the middle of the week. XP

vasa1886
07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Well turns out Friday would actually be pretty keen for me to since schooling and D&D running is not affected at all :D plus when I go back to subbing in the fall be a nice relaxing thing after a week of kids. Hopefully the couple people on the first page can put in some input if they're still interested.

vasa1886
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Man the sad part of this ordeal is I don't have a current cosplay in the works to be working on. So many fun things so little time lul

SailorKagome
07-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Whenever is fine. As long as I have the time/date ahead of time, I can get it off.

vasa1886
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
lol wewt yay easy people

I.N.K.
07-13-2008, 01:40 AM
K: Friday's sound wonderful...though I have over protective parents who won't let me out around then for long unless I'm working...we could try to make some...I'm sure my other partners are in the same boat...we have similer parents...

vasa1886
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
*stretch* its been a few days since I last popped in, anywho Fridays seem a good consensus for all so we'll work with Friday. Would next Friday the 25th be to early of a date for those needing to schedule off work? If so we'll just bump it up a Friday. I'm thinking maybe a 6PM-7PM Meet and greet type of meeting of which I had two possible ideas:

-Meet at a place like a library and just have a chance to talk, produce ideas of a more permanent meeting area.
-Meet at a place of eats seeing as its close to some peoples dinner time, have a chance to socialize.

Making a pretty rough schedule first meeting things would look like:
-Introductions
-Discussion of "permanent" meeting places(Im doing some scouting of rec centers atm some people mentioned garages good chance to see who has what)
-Club name(?) be cooler then saying "Bye Mom/Roomie/etc Im off to cosplay group!"
-What we want out of the club? Just a place to have people that have different fields of expertise together to complete costumes, ability to group discount con badges, ability to split hotel rooms, field trips to fabric shops, community tools during club meetings, common holder of excess materials for club use, etc, etc
-Do we want meetings to be weekly or bi-weekly or something else

Anything else anyone wants to talk about :D

Sabarae
07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Sumimasen, but July 25th isn't a good day for me... It's my birthday... *blush*

The first is okay for me... but for the 8th, I'll be in Baltimore for Otakon.

NecromanticChii
07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
On the 25th we could do something small for your birthday as well..lol

As for meetings, I don't mind having them every week, to every-other week.

Oh, and August 8th I will be at Otakon as well. ^_^

vasa1886
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Happy early birthday! So if you're booked for your b-day lets plan first meeting week after the 25th*curses lack of calendar* at oh say 6:30? I'd happily aid in something small for your b-day but totally understanding as Im sure Chii is if you're booked up for it :D

vasa1886
07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
So yeah Im excited about getting this thing started up. I talked to some rec centers and regardless of use it will end up incurring some sort of fee, as it is a larger facility. So meeting space ideas will need to be bought up at the first meeting on the first.

Anyway I'm more pysched as I've picked up two costumes to persue Gord and some finishing touches on an old Lyserg cosplay.

NecromanticChii
07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Well I would say we should have the meetings at a place that's free, until we have a large group coming on a regular basis.

So far what's been put in this thread points to August 1st at 6:30pm.
Yet we don't have a place set....I still wouldn't suggest the rec. centers for now..lol

vasa1886
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
To be perfectly honest, if the fees are more than 5ish dollars a person I'd sort of disallow it as a possibility. To be honest 5 dollars is really pushing it, heck if we charged 5$s I'd rather buy munchies then a room with tables xD

So in the interest of safety lets set meeting place 1 at a mealish place, coming planning to eat or not it'd be all good. I don't know the general ages of repliers to this thread, but ya know a parent of a teen may feel more comfortable taking them to a more open place where if something odd happens there are people around.

I only inspire this way as this meeting will be after a class where lunch was 6ish hours before and I'll be hungry lol

If no one has objections or a better idea I'll look for a place.

NecromanticChii
07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
what? After a class?

I am 21, and I work full time...lol (Can you say no life. >.<)

But a public place does sound good, until we get to know each other, mainly for safety.

NecromanticChii
07-18-2008, 06:46 AM
stupid double post...

vasa1886
07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm a 22 university student :D They basically told me if I'd take summer classes I'd graduate earlier so I was like yeah >>

Sabarae
07-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Blah, sorry about the absence! Been kinda busy~

Thanks for the early B-day and I'm just planning to chill out with my bf since I have to work that morning (I need the money more than I need to sleep -again, working at 5am). So ya. Love you guys, but I probably won't even be getting out of my pjs once I get home. XP

Also, another thing you can do is post this on the Nekocon forums (on their site, not here). Since mostly a lot of locals that attend conventions usually got to Neko. =)

But Aug. 1 during mealtime, at a mealtime place sound good to me =3 Food!

vasa1886
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok Poll #2:

American Food
Chinese Buffet
Mexican Food
Mall Food Court

If you have a preference to a location please list, if you have a dietary need(Vegan/Vegetarian/etc) please provide a place you know can meet your needs. I won't ridicule any of you, just would feel bad someone has to sit around with no ability to eat if they were hungry.

NecromanticChii
07-22-2008, 06:55 AM
All of those are fine, I really don't care..lol

vasa1886
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't either but I also don't want someone saying Im a horrible person for not taking *dietary restriction X* into account, CYOA and all

Lenalee-tan
07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
OMFG this sounds fun <333 i would love to join in >A> anyone herd of Lynnhaven mall or Pembrooke? or some other places

vasa1886
07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Happily Welcoming Anyone and yes I;ve heard of both those places. In the process right now of making sure the meeting place I have in mind has what I think.

Current Count:
Vasa1886
NecromanticChii
Sabarae
Lenalee-tan

Just because you're names no on there it mostly means I hadn't seen activity from you recently, just post with a +however many and I'll add you to the list. Also if you're coming with a friend/bf/gf/etc post with like:

2 coming

Always better to have a general idea so we can have appropriate table space

Current Plan:

6:30 PM EST(off chance you're coming from a different time zone but yeah)
Place: China Garden @ Pembroke Mall
8/1/08

The Thursday before I'll pass out my e-mail on here, if you plan on coming e-mail me and I'll reply with my cell # so its easier to find. This is namely a "We'll meet outside, but if someones running 10mins late we can either know or they can find us after we've been seated" kind of plan.

Ryu_chan
07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I wished I still lived in VA beach ;.; sadly I live in DC on breaks and go to school in PA

vasa1886
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Bummer, if you're ever on break down here drop us a line :D

princedraco
07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
i found tutorial but have no talent or sewing machine or anything, i'm trying to get black naruto sandals for otakon, and if live in VA within from here/richmond to fredricksburg or here to virginia beach then i'd be able to get my foot sized or whatever-
http://liz.spain.googlepages.com/narutosandaltutorial

NecromanticChii
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Prince, you should come sometime. XP

As for Pembroke..Guess I need to walk around it sometime...lol

Sabarae
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Pembroke Mall is a pretty good idea, since it's usually not as crowded as lynnhaven.... Plus it has a petshop! Puppies! X3

As it stands, it sound alright for me, so long as my bf isn't working right then... Otherwise, I just might not be able to make it due to rather protective parents. ^^()

vasa1886
07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Pembrokes a "Its closer" issue rofl

NecromanticChii
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Pembrokes a "Its closer" issue rofl

lol.
Lucky for you..lol (Although it's not too far for me..lol)

I basically live in the middle of Greenbrier and Lynnhaven malls..lol

vasa1886
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Actually I'm closer to Greenbrier but am attending class in Norfolk and return to Norfolk after the meeting so in theory its closer

NecromanticChii
07-25-2008, 06:59 AM
So what date?, August 1st?

vasa1886
07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Yup

vasa1886
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Happy B-Day sabarae!

Sabarae
07-26-2008, 01:04 AM
*giggles* Thank you =^^=

princedraco
07-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I wish i lived in va beach area, always looking for radio job there, but stuck in richmond.

I've met Sabarae and Necrochii and they 2 awesome cosplayers i wish i lived closer to for good friendships!

Hopefully i'll see some of you for my birthday at Otakon!

NecromanticChii
07-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I wish i lived in va beach area, always looking for radio job there, but stuck in richmond.

I've met Sabarae and Necrochii and they 2 awesome cosplayers i wish i lived closer to for good friendships!

Hopefully i'll see some of you for my birthday at Otakon!

Hey you're an awesome cosplayer as well!
That and we do need to find a job down here for you. (Want to see if you can Sched. an interview for the 1st...lol and come to the gathering as well. ^_~ (It'd be nice.)

Happy Belated Birthday Sabarae!

princedraco
07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
happy late bday sabare.

P.S. does anybody have the skills to make these shoes, i need them for otakon for cosplay i just commisioned and threw together last minute lol, shoes dont have their own page unfortunately but what i need is titled "naruto akatsuki shoes"-
http://www.allanimedvd.com/narutoitems.htm

heres how cosplayers tutorial made for naruto shoes that arn't akatsuki, it without white ock/leggin or whatever is tied around shoe that my character needs but better then nothing:
http://liz.spain.googlepages.com/narutosandaltutorial

Sabarae
07-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Zanku guys! =^^= I've been slowly telling people at work that it was my birthday. A few people were surprised to find out I'm 20 XP

vasa1886
07-28-2008, 11:23 AM
So heres the details:

August 1st 6:30 PM-whenever
China Garden inside Pembroke Mall

If you plan to attend:
1. E-mail me at lonedothacker@gmail.com I will give you my cell # to help locate the restaurant/mall/the group/etc

If you would like to join but can't make first meeting:
E-mail me letting me know you can't attend, but would like info on the group.

Please Subj E-mails "Cosplay Club"

On the day of I'll be wearing a yellow PLC shirt from the year they were at Katsucon so don't be shy about approaching :D

NecromanticChii
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Emailed.

I plan on attending, but I don't know what I'll be wearing. Just look for the girl with the DS, playing FFIV or Pokemon..lol

vasa1886
07-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Rofl got e-mail, I only was specific as I figured that would be something that stood out and could be easily identified

NecromanticChii
07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Rofl got e-mail, I only was specific as I figured that would be something that stood out and could be easily identified

XD Yeah I ahd about half a brain yesterday.

vasa1886
07-30-2008, 11:18 AM
2 days away, I've heard from a few people, hopefully as the day draws nearer I'll receive more replies. I do realize some of you are basing things upon availability of others and may not know till a later point, just if we can know you're interested it helps to know if its a group of 5-6 or a group of 10 plus when asking for seating accomodations.

TheMightyWidget
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
zomg, i JUST found this thread (about 30 mins ago) o.o I hope I can make it there, work is gonna be hectic before/if I can get off. Hopefully it's the first option x.x

NecromanticChii
07-31-2008, 07:13 AM
zomg, i JUST found this thread (about 30 mins ago) o.o I hope I can make it there, work is gonna be hectic before/if I can get off. Hopefully it's the first option x.x

I hope you do. ^_~
(I hope everyone does)

XD

vasa1886
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM
For those that have replied/are planning to reply i'll prolly send out my contact information for @ the mall around 11ish tonight. You'll have a chance to get it till about 1 AM, after that just show up, and look for us lol

pancake-fong
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I too just found this thread like a bit ago...I have a question, would people that live in northeastern NC be able to make it? (Just to give you an idea of where I live, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to Greenbriar Mall)

vasa1886
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Greenbrier mall is prolly 15-20mins before Pembroke Mall so probably 45-1hr drive, thats up to you if you can make it we welcome anyone

Its at I think independence and va beach blvd, not far from mt trashmore. The mall does have a website if you'd like to map quest

NecromanticChii
08-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Wohoo! It's today! (Sorry Im really looking forward to work being over right now..lol)

Anyways...I will be there tonight. ^_~ Hopefully I can find all of you.

vasa1886
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
If Im running a little late its cause I dropped my car off for state inspection and they were busy, doubtful but "The More You Know"

vasa1886
08-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Due to my in ability to eat w/o making a mess I changed from PLC shirt to "Team Kira" shirt xD

NecromanticChii
08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Flip Flops, a summer shirt, and everything. (I decided to go home and change, instead of just going in work clothes.)

vasa1886
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Nekocon t-shirt, curse black and heat not mixing

Evil_E
08-01-2008, 10:34 PM
WOW Had a great time!!!! Am looking forward to future meetings. Thanks guys for making me feel so at home. (this is Kathy btw LOL) If ya wanna message me feel free and my my space listing is on my profile.

NecromanticChii
08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I had a great time, and Im happy to see there are other's just like me. (Or a bit like me...lol)

As for the next, I think 1 a month is a good idea. ^_~

Sabarae
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
*sighs* I seriously feel like crying like a baby now... ;.; *kicks bf in the butt for having unnecessary emotional issues* >.<

princedraco
08-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm jealous lol, but hopefully ill see alot of you at otakon. say hi to android 17 aka tobi with pumpin mask aka shishido with tennis raquet and backwards hat

mondo86em
08-03-2008, 06:44 AM
I had fun Friday night, and I think once a month would be good. I'm already looking foward to the next meeting. I rarely have to work weekends so Friday nights, Saturdays, or Sundays is fine with me.

princedraco
08-04-2008, 02:08 AM
otakon soon ^^

vasa1886
08-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Alas no Otakon for me this year, hopefully next year, if not definetly the following year(lol 2 year time spans) Anyway thanks to all who came out, sorry for those who couldn't make it. Within the week a new thread for the next meeting along with any additional info will pop up

princedraco
08-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Does anybody have to for some reason use I95 and go past Fredricksburg on thursday, i have a friend that may need a ride and can pay gas. im going wed so i can't

Lenalee-tan
09-01-2008, 09:54 AM
OMFG I MISSED THE MEETING SO SRY!! >A< -cries in emo corner-

mondo86em
09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
We've set a date of sept. 12th for the next meeting the thread is here http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=156603

vasa1886
09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
RSVP via e-mail by Thursday please:

lonedothacker@gmail.com

Not going to say no to you if you wait till Friday, just makes it easier to buy plates/napkins/etc

vasa1886
09-12-2008, 03:26 PM
On the off chance anyone sees this before attending tonight, you need to park in an unnumbered parking space, all numbered ones belong to residents

mondo86em
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I see it and we might be a little late I had to work over a little :( maybe not